[6pack] Carb woes?

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Mon Jun 16 14:16:34 MDT 2008

Hi,

There's no easy way to answer Weber questions via e-mail. Instead, what
you need to do is get that puppy on a chassis dyno and get some numbers.
Most importantly, you need to get the fuel/air numbers.

Webers can be tuned about a million different ways. That said, most of the
DCOE 40's that I've seen are set up way too rich, and once you start
getting close on the jetting, you pick up a remarkable amount of power.

Also - don't even think about tuning your webers 'till you know for
certain that your ignition is PERFECT. I really mean this. My first few
months with DCOE 40's got me on a first-name basis with a Weber parts
company and I ran up $500 worth of weber jet orders. The problem was
eventually discovered to be that the distributor was not working right (I
had no mechanical advance). Talk about frustrating.

At any rate, to get to a working system, you need to tell us what you have
and then we can help you dial in. Something like:

Weber DCOE40
30 mm chokes
4.5 aux venturi
F11 emulsion tubes
125 mains
160 air correctors
45F9 idle jets
40 pump jet

optional (but critical) float setting (and float type - brass of plastic)

Then your ignition settings:
10 BTDC at idle (or whatever)
Total advance 30 degrees
spark gap
wire type

Once all that stuff is clear, next steps can be identified.

Regards,
rml