[6pack] Alternators and sensing wire (or lack of)

Foster, Stan stan.foster at hp.com
Tue Jun 10 07:29:52 MDT 2008

Just to be clear, I am posting these URL's to illustrate why I posed the
original question and not be to be critical of the authors of this info. On
the contrary it was very helpful to read what other had done.

This doc
www.mntriumphs.org/Links/TR6_Ref.pdf<http://www.mntriumphs.org/Links/TR6_Ref.
pdf>  includes this detail:

Alternate Alternators for Transplant Into a TR6 -  The original alternator was
an internally regulated Lucas 15ACR.

 *   Ask for the optional high amp Bosch alternator for a '78 to '80 Ford
Fiesta with A/C & rear window defrost. The standard alternator is a Motorcraft
so be sure to ask for the Bosch.  This particular alternator was also used in
the 1976 VW Rabbit.  Reference numbers supplied to this list for the Bosch are
as follows: 120 489 244 & D8RZ-10346-AX.  NAPA part# is: AL86X BSH.  Prices
vary greatly so it pays to check around. The adjusting bolt thread is metric
so be careful not to damage the thread with an SAE bolt.

And then Lee Janssen described his experience here:

http://www.turbo-tr6.info/ford_alternator.htm

Where he says:

The large brown wire attaches to the B+ terminal on the alternator, the small
brown/yellow stripe wire attaches to the D+ terminal on the alternator and the
remaining wire should be tied back and isolated (insulated) from ground.

This is the web site of Paul Rego. Take a look at the second image where the
rear of the alternator is shown. The brown sense wire from the TR6 loom goes
into the terminal close to the modular connector.

http://www.74tr6.com/alternator.htm

Here is the rear of my alternator. It looks just like Paul's but  notice the
additional small black module at the top with a wire going into the sense
terminal that does not appear on 74TR6's alternator above.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/foster461/Winter%202008%20Projects/Bos
chAlternator.jpg

The autox mailer will probably eat this reply so I'm copying Scott and Vance
directly so that I have not wasted my time.

Stan