[6pack] starter or battery

Cris Hemingway cris_tr6 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 8 10:06:44 MDT 2008

> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 09:25:12 -0400> From: mhooper at digiscreen.ca> To:
6pack at autox.team.net; triumphs at autox.team.net> Subject: [6pack] starter or
battery> > Now that the nice warm weather is here my TR6 has suddenly decided
to give me> a headache.> > I've got a problem either with battery or starter.>
> When I turn the key to start position I'm getting a loudish chattering
about> 4-5 times a second. It sounds like a small jack-hammer under the
bonnet.> > Yesterday everything was fine as I started her up perfectly
normally and> backed her out the garage for a wash. When time came to go, very
little at> all., just a clicking noise when I tried to start. I put the
charger on all> night and now the chattering is loud.> > So I don't know
whether the battery is toast, or the starter solenoid is doing> something well
known.> > Original 1972 starter on the car.> > Cheers,> > Mark> 1972 TR6>
Try testing the battery, clean up the terminals, charge it and test.  It
sounds like the battery is weak, so that's where I'd start looking.  If the
solenoid goes, it usually just quits in my experience.