[6pack] Torqueing the Dog Bolt

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Wed Jan 30 12:41:28 MST 2008

Tom---Adding the tranny to the engine probably will not keep the
crankshaft from turning, when torquing the front pulley bolt. (The
clutch most likely would slip)

Jamming the ring gear would do the trick.

So would using a pipe wrench on the fan extension. Use an aluminum pipe
wrench, or cover the jaws if any slight marring is to be avoided.

Add a few drops of Blue Loctite on the bolt threads.

Some like to install the front pulley after the engine is in place.
Personally, I like to assemble all I can when the engine is out.

Dick

Sender:
m.net From: tomislav.marincic at earthlink.net(Tomislav Marincic)

Hello
My TR6 motor is finally assembled and ready for the journey under the
bonnet. I need to torque down the dog bolt (the one on the "snout") that
holds the fan adaptor and harmonic damper/pulley to the crankshaft. I'm
debating whether to do it now, or when the engine is in place. At the
moment, the flywheel and pressure plate are on, but the starter and
transmission are not.
If I wait until the powertrain is in place, I'll have to use the
transmission to immobilize the engine, which doesn't appeal to me
because I might damage the freshly-built tranny. If I do it now, what's
the best way to immobilize the flywheel? A piece of wood or rebar
against the side of the ring gear?
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Tom Marincic
CC55483L (O)