[6pack] brake fuild

Ashford Little 70tr6 at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 24 07:09:05 MST 2008

One thing to consider in the eternal silicon vs. DOT4 argument is the
condition of the brake system prior to switching.  I liken it to
changing from dino oil to synthetic with a motor that has 80 thousand
miles on it.  The motor will most likely start to leak oil in places
it did not previously and I doubt that you'll receive any rewards in
terms of longevity at this point.  I think the brakes are a similar
situation.  If the rubber components in your braking system are not
relatively new then switching to DOT5 may result in some negative
reactions.  I don't think there is any chemical reaction; I just think
that the chemical makeup of DOT5 might be similar to synthetic motor
oil in that it will more easily leak.

Now, I must admit a few things for full and fare disclosure.  #1, I'm
not an engineer and I don't play one of TV.  #2, Joe is hardly the
person I or most of us should be disagreeing with on a regular basis.
But, #3, I redid my entire braking system about 4 years ago and took
the opportunity to switch to DOT5 and I've had no issues whatsoever.
I also know people who switched in mid-stream with no issues, and I
know of one TR enthusiast who switched 20 years and 100k miles ago who
has also not seen issue one.

Now, this is subject to debate, but there is one question that is easy
to answer - and that is what type of fluid you have in your car now.
If the brake fluid is golden in color then you've got DOT4.  If the
fluid is purple, blue or some other funny color then you've got DOT5.

My .02

Ashford Little
6-Pack Membership Secretary
'70 TR6