[6pack] diesel, was Hemmings email - non LBC

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 18 15:14:18 MST 2008

Jack Mc wrote:
> I've heard that the pump colors (diesel vs. gasoline) in the U.K. can be a
> bit confusing to Americans - anybody else hear about the fellow who filled his
> friends Triumph up with diesel at a fuel stop on the Round Britain
> Reliability Run?

Here's the guide for visitors:

Pump hose colour:
Green - Unleaded 95 octane
Green - Unleaded 98 octane

The pump clearly identifies which type of unleaded you're buying

Black - Diesel - one grade only in the UK
Red - Lead replacement gasoline. This has not proved popular since leaded fuel became unobtanium in
2000. Basically, its 98 octane unleaded with added potassium as the lead substitute.

I think (from memory) these hose colours are the same throughout Europe

Jonmac