[6pack] Avgas

Tony Gordon triumph at 2simpleusa.com
Tue Apr 15 15:36:17 MDT 2008

It is possible to purchase 100LL from most small airport Fixed Based
Operators' (FBO's) if it is dispensed in a regulation container to
accommodate the needs of aircraft owners who want to take fuel to their
aircraft.  However, since the flying community in most small airports is a
pretty small, you're better off finding a friendly pilot who can help you
(or at least give you a good cover story for why you want 15 gallons of
100LL!).

It is the fact that Avgas isn't subject to fed and some state taxes that
causes a problem for the FBO operator ... and the car owner.  The blue dye
tint and the distinct smell of 100LL Avgas would be a give away to those who
might be interested .. in Michigan, I haven't heard of anyone being chased
down for using Avgas, but the FBO operator will be pretty nervous about a
car pulling up to the pump on the GA ramp just in case he gets a visit from
the taxation authorities....

However, some, including the local airport I fly out of, have a credit card
dispenser making it easy to get 100LL at less social hours .... so the
problem is solved: you have to find the ungated road to the hangers (and
from there you can drive on the taxiway), plus work out how to make your TR6
look like an Ultralite at night ... and don't forget -- avoid pumping the
80LL!

I should add that although I can easily get 100LL, I've never bothered for
my TR6, but would be willing to help anyone in mid-MI if they are interested
in 5 gallons at a time!

Tony Gordon
72 TR6