[6pack] Ethanol gasoline blends

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Fri Apr 11 09:33:47 MDT 2008

Hi,

I'll put in a tuppance on the fuel thing...

The normal pump gas that you buy in the US will work fine with the 10%
ethanol. You will need to pay attention to corrosion on the various
aluminium bits, but don't stress about it. Just check from time-to-time.

As far as long term storage, you might want to look into using someof the
specialy race fuels out there. I've talked at some length with the
regional sales reps for Sunoco Race fuel, and they claim that a lot of
owners with cars that don't drive much (for example the concours folks
with $1M cars) will store the car with the leaded race fuel. The reasoning
is that the fuel is more stable and that it doesn't cause fuel system
problems (like gumming up).

I can't provide any data points other than to say that in my race car (I
use 110 leaded for a couple of reasons, but 12:1 is one of them) I have
had zero fuel system problems in 9 years. The only "problem"has been the
fuel will evaporate off quite quickly (I lose about 1 - 2 gallons over the
winter) on an un-sealed container, so make sure your evap. emissions gear
is in good working order (or seal the tank so it cannot vent) or you will
lose fuel while the car sits.

Regards,
rml