[6pack] Brake Bleeding & Adjusting

Sally or Dick Taylor tr6taylor at webtv.net
Wed Apr 9 00:51:08 MDT 2008

Bob--- I suppose some air could enter thru the threads between a (loose)
bleeder nipple and the wheel cylinder, but the fluiD trying to come out
should displace any air. Of more concern might be any fluid that gets
past these threads when under hydraulic pressure, even when the bleed
nipple and hard line fittings are tight. If you see, or feel any wetness
at these connections (and I have, with the new replacement parts), I'd
go for the teflon tape.

On adjusting the E-brake, "3 or 4 clicks" of the handle may not be
enough to release the rear shoes completely. Five or six clicks should
do it. Test for yourself, of course

Also, I will have to check on VTR's "Only the rear shoe expands with the
adjustment" wedge. Seems to me that both shoes move out. Even IF only
one shoe moves initially, the wheel cylinder should slide into a
self-centering position.  I'd like to know if I'm mistaken about how
this works. Never too old, etc...

Dick

 From: Bob D.

A couple of brake questions:
1. I've installed a rebuilt servo, new m/c, rebuilt calipers, new rear
cylinders (0.75" bore) new Kevlar pads and shoes, new clips & springs
and new braided hose. So it's all new & now in need of fluif or fluid
even. And I'm going with Castrol GTLMA DOT4. I've been told that the
majority of air bubbles that you see after purging the initial batch of
them is from air coming in around the threads of the loose bleeder
screw. As a result, it's best to use some Teflon tape on the bleeder
screw threads. Comments? Suggestions?
2. Has anyone ever used this method
(http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-adjustment.shtml)? Does it work on a
newly installed system or is it just for adjusting after the initial old
fashioned way of tighten, spin, tighten some more, back off etc. If I'm
understanding it correctly, you just pull up the e-brake handle 3-4
clicks and tighten each adjuster until snug. Release the e-brake and
you're good to go. Sounds too simple ;-)
Thanks
Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection