[6pack] Emissions in the future-is retrofitting possible?

JODY A MORRISON lajomor05 at msn.com
Fri Dec 28 15:28:00 MST 2007

Hello to all...
There is a movement afoot here in Colorado instigated by the Colorado
Automobile Dealers (read, new car dealers) to get all pre-1990 cars  off the
roads here in Colorado. In a telling remark in the article, the pre-1990 cars
are referred to as 'jalopies'. Their spokesman  states that "5 percent of the
vehicles out there - made in 1990 and before - are responsible for more than
half, and perhaps three-quarters of the emissions." Of course this makes no
mention of the favorite Colorado Commuter Vehicles ( aka, high dealer-profit
vehicles)....diesel pickups, Escalades, Hummers, hemi-powered anything, etc.
etc.

It appears to be a transparent effort to divert  attention away from any
attempts to require new cars/trucks/SUVs to have much higher mpg ratings and
to sell more new cars. Duh.....

You can read the article and form you own opinions at:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/28/saying-no-to-clunkers/<http
://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/28/saying-no-to-clunkers/>

but...to my main question....
Can our classic Triumphs in any way be retrofitted with catalytic converters
in an effort to meet stiffer emission standards foisted upon us by 'our' local
and federal governments? I understand the basic principles of catalytic
converters...and oxygen sensors...and computer-controlled fuel delivery
systems. Can carbureted systems work with converters or do their erratic
mixtures shorten the life of a converter so much so that it would be
cost-prohibitive?

As I think about my grandsons inheriting my treasure I must wonder if they
will ever get to actually drive it.

Happy New Year to all.....
Larry M
TR250 project in Colorado