[6pack] Ratco in two days!

Andrew Packard apackard68 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 18 23:10:19 MST 2007

The trucking company made an appt to drop of my new Ratco frame Thursday
around noon.  I am working on removing the suspension components off my old
frame.  I just got the front left completely done, moving on to the right
front.

Here is the body restoration plan for my TR250.

1. Make new frame a bare minimum rolling chassis.

2. Mount completely stripped body shell on new frame, securing minimally for
transport.

3. Take rolling chassis and body to body shop for body repairs.

            a. Replacement of both rockers and end caps.

            b. Repair dent in L front wheel well, just below brake MC area.

            c. Repair and reinforce hood stress points about 6 inches from
w/s

            d. Several other very minor repairs/edge straightening.

4. Mount body on chassis

5. Attach doors and exterior panels

6. Align gaps by all available means

            a. body mount shims and washers

            b. oval holes that allow for adjustment

7. Re-brace door openings with body in aligned position

8. Remove doors and exterior panels.

8a. Remove braced body shell from chassis.

9. Have body completely shot-blasted and exterior panels stripped to bare
metal (media blast)

10. Return car to b/s for primer over the bare metal

10a. Bring chassis home for restoration of suspension parts (powder coating)

11. Apply Lizard Skin sound deadening and heat resistant material to wheel
wells, floors and doors

12. Begin single-stage body color painting on body shell, masking exterior
parts

            a. valances

            b. rockers

            c. dash top

            d. rear deck

13. Paint inside exterior panels

14.  Mount doors and exterior panels, align as close as possible (with
fender beading)

15. Paint exterior with two-stage paint.

16. Remount body on rolling chassis with restored suspension components,
engine and tranny installed

17. Align and secure body to chassis.

18. Paint on hood stripe

19. Transport car home to begin reassembly of car components

Can the list help identify obvious flaws in my plan, other than the real
risk of damaging my new paint job while reassembling the car?

Andy

CD6746 L HVDA