Subject: [Zmagnette] clean engine before <zmagnette.autox.team.net> <[email-masked]>

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:34:51 -0700

OK Magnetteers,
What is the recommended cleaner to use on a bare engine to clean before painting. I am almost there. Paint thinner, something to get the metal bare clean to paint?
Buckey
_______________________________________________
Zmagnette mailing list

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Steve" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 07:26:45 -0700

lots of things work, but I wouldn't particularly suggest paint thinner. 
Lacquer Thinner works, any auto body supply place will have a prep cleaner 
which works well, and is probably less than the price of LT.  Home Depot 
sells the same stuff our auto body supply does, in a green/red can, 
something like "Redi Prep" or some such, under $20/gal, which is reasonable 
. . . . at least in Southern California!!!!  I'm not a fan of some of the 
very strong, pretty caustic water base things, like Purple Power or 
whatever.  Seems to leave a film of ?????

I would then hit the engine with a good quality self-etching primer, about 
$15/per spray can, from any good auto body supply place.  Actually, 
Rustoleum has a self-etching primer, you can buy at Depot or Lowes.  I've 
not tried it, as I have a Black Cloud hanging over me with Rustoleum 
products.  Seems like they always clog and splatter, regardless of all the 
shaking and "upside down clearing of the nozzle".  I've thrown away more 
Rustoleum products than I've sprayed, but maybe that's just me, or specially 
made for So Cal?  Seems the worst with anything black:  flat, gloss  . . . . 
The best spray paint, in cans, I've found, bar none, and it's not anymore 
expensive than Rustoleum is VHT, and as a bonus, it's high heat.  Again, 
your local auto body place should have it.  Around $6.00/can, AND you get to 
spray til the last drop, FWIW.

#2SteveK

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 2:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Zmagnette] clean engine before

OK Magnetteers,
What is the recommended cleaner to use on a bare engine to clean before 
painting. I am almost there. Paint thinner, something to get the metal bare 
clean to paint?
Buckey
_______________________________________________
Zmagnette mailing list

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 11:33:06 -0700

Thank you Charlie
Buckey
---- charles durning <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> I use Brakekleen or something like that.  It leaves the metal dry without
> any oily residue.
> 
> Charlie Durning
> 
> If you are using Google or Gmail, Big Brother is watching.
> 
> 
> 
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > OK Magnetteers,
> > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> > http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/[email-masked]
> >
> >