Subject: [Zmagnette] engine rebuild question <zmagnette.autox.team.net> <[email-masked]>

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:46:44 -0700

OK. I am 99.9% done with my rebuild. Here is my question for you rebuilders:
The head has a screw in part called screw- rocker shaft locating (on pg. 10, #92 of catalogue spring/summer 2014). The other three push in pieces that look the same as the screw are missing. Do I : 
A) Buy three screws and grind to push fit,
B) just use a washer and nut with no  lock plate piece # 91, as above.
What say you.
Buckey in hot AZ.
_______________________________________________
Zmagnette mailing list

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 16:43:22 -0700

OK. One more question, Do I need the shim for the middle rocker pedestal?
Buckey
---- Edward Brorein <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Hi Buckey,
 
I am guessing you are referring to a Moss catalog, MGA by chance?
 
Anyway, there is only on locating screw and lockplate to hold the rocker shaft, which go on the end rocker assembly pedestal. There is a corresponding hole drilled in the rocker shaft that the nose of the locating screw goes into. No lockplates or screws on the other pedestals.
 
Ed

________________________________
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:46 PM
Subject: [Zmagnette] engine rebuild question

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Zmagnette mailing list

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 05:37:31 -0400 (EDT)

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8899215885639708161==
 boundary="--------MB_8D14ACB1468371D_33F4_4B122_webmail-m259.sysops.aol.com"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
----------MB_8D14ACB1468371D_33F4_4B122_webmail-m259.sysops.aol.com
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Buckey
In my experience the rocker towers and not made in sets. So they do not hav=
e all the bores at the same height. Ideally you should be able to slide the=
 rocker shaft into the pedestal's easily after they are torqued to specific=
ation. In reality I doubt you will be able to get them in at all. Shimming =
and aligning the towers will help, but it is time consuming and hard to get=
 them so the shaft will just slide in. I may to fussy but the reality is th=
e support towers should be at least close to keep for stressing the shaft. =
I also like to swap rockers around and shim them to get them, so they are n=
ot so far off center on the valve stem. This helps prevent side loads on th=
e valve guides. You do not want them perfectly centered so the valves rotat=
e slightly under use.
Steve C
=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: webuck1 <[email-masked]>
To: Edward Brorein <[email-masked]>; List for the Z Magnette Group - Nor=
th America <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, May 31, 2014 12:37 am
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] engine rebuild question

OK. One more question, Do I need the shim for the middle rocker pedestal?
Buckey
---- Edward Brorein <[email-masked]> wrote:=20
> Hi Buckey,
=20
I am guessing you are referring to a Moss catalog, MGA by chance?
=20
Anyway, there is only on locating screw and lockplate to hold the rocker sh=
aft,=20
which go on the end rocker assembly pedestal. There is a corresponding hole=
=20
drilled in the rocker shaft that the nose of the locating screw goes into. =
No=20
lockplates or screws on the other pedestals.
=20
Ed

To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>=20

OK. I am 99.9% done with my rebuild. Here is my question for you rebuilders=
:
The head has a screw in part called screw- rocker shaft locating (on pg. 10=
, #92=20
of catalogue spring/summer 2014). The other three push in pieces that look =
the=20
same as the screw are missing. Do I :=20
A) Buy three screws and grind to push fit,
B) just use a washer and nut with no  lock plate piece # 91, as above.
What say you.
Buckey in hot AZ.
_______________________________________________
Zmagnette mailing list

@yahoo.com

@aol.com

=20

----------MB_8D14ACB1468371D_33F4_4B122_webmail-m259.sysops.aol.com
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<font color=3D'black' size=3D'2' face=3D'Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>
<div><font face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" style=3D"background-color:=
 transparent;">Buckey</font></div>

<div>In my experience the rocker towers and not&nbsp;made in sets. So they&=
nbsp;do not have all the bores at the same height. Ideally you should be ab=
le to slide the rocker shaft into the pedestal's easily after they are torq=
ued to specification. In reality I doubt you will be able to get them in&nb=
sp;at all.&nbsp;Shimming and aligning the towers&nbsp;will help, but it is =
time consuming and hard to get them so the shaft will just slide in.&nbsp;I=
 may to fussy but the reality is the support towers should be at least clos=
e to keep for stressing the shaft. I also like to swap rockers around and s=
him them to get them, so they are not so far off center on the valve stem. =
This helps prevent side loads on the valve guides. You do not want them per=
fectly centered so the valves rotate slightly under use.</div>

<div>Steve C</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div style=3D"color: black; font-family: arial,helvetica; font-size: 10pt;"=
>-----Original Message-----<br>
From: webuck1 &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: Edward Brorein &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; List for the Z Magnette Group=
 - North America &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Sat, May 31, 2014 12:37 am<br>
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] engine rebuild question<br>
<br>

<div id=3D"AOLMsgPart_0_be67b4aa-c89a-4a14-b7b5-b585281afa48" style=3D"marg=
in: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Ser=
if; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">

<pre style=3D"font-size: 9pt;"><tt>OK. One more question, Do I need the shi=
m for the middle rocker pedestal?
Buckey
---- Edward Brorein &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">edbro03@yahoo.=
com</a>&gt; wrote:=20
&gt; Hi Buckey,
&nbsp;
I am guessing you are referring to a Moss catalog, MGA by chance?
&nbsp;
Anyway, there is only on locating screw and lockplate to hold the rocker sh=
aft,=20
which go on the end rocker assembly pedestal. There is a corresponding hole=
=20
drilled in the rocker shaft that the nose of the locating screw goes into. =
No=20
lockplates or screws on the other pedestals.
&nbsp;
Ed

________________________________
From: "<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>" &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
To: "<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</=
a>" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
t</a>&gt;=20
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:46 PM
Subject: [Zmagnette] engine rebuild question

OK. I am 99.9% done with my rebuild. Here is my question for you rebuilders=
:
The head has a screw in part called screw- rocker shaft locating (on pg. 10=
, #92=20
of catalogue spring/summer 2014). The other three push in pieces that look =
the=20
same as the screw are missing. Do I :=20
A) Buy three screws and grind to push fit,
B) just use a washer and nut with no&nbsp; lock plate piece # 91, as above.
What say you.
Buckey in hot AZ.
_______________________________________________
Zmagnette mailing list

//www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a>
tte/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opti=
ons/zmagnette/[email-masked]</a>
_______________________________________________
Zmagnette mailing list

//www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://w=
ww.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/forums</a>
tte/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/option=
s/zmagnette/[email-masked]</a>

</tt></pre>
</div>
 <!-- end of AOLMsgPart_0_be67b4aa-c89a-4a14-b7b5-b585281afa48 -->

</div>
</font>
----------MB_8D14ACB1468371D_33F4_4B122_webmail-m259.sysops.aol.com--

--===============8899215885639708161==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8899215885639708161==--