Subject: [TR] The Standard-Triumph PE166 engine.

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2025 17:20:22 +0100 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0008_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0"

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I was going through my huge library of (badly sorted) pictures today and
came across this sectioned view of the PE166 engine which I thought might =
be
of interest to those of you who speculate on various technical aspects of
S-T and BL history.

=20

The PE 166 was designed as a replacement for David Eley's delightfully
simple in-line six pot that started life at 1998cc in 1960 for the Vanguar=
d
Six / Triumph 2000 / Vitesse / GT6 and then morphed into the 2498cc unit w=
e
(mostly) all know so well for the 2.5PI / TR5 / TR6.

=20

While it was used extensively in the Rover SD1 for all markets outside the
US and Canada in 2300 and 2600 guises,  I don't think any of those smaller
engine variants that used the Ex-Buick V8 for North America and elsewhere,
ever crossed the Atlantic. I had three Rovers with this power unit (1x2300
and 2x2600) powering three company issued cars and I remember it with grea=
t
affection. It was very under-stressed, incredibly smooth running and had
more than enough power to move those quite heavy cars along. In fact, it w=
as
very de-tuned to meet power and taxation regulations in mainland Europe an=
d
the UK and was certainly capable of producing a lot more power than it
actually did - and with very little modification. You  can learn a bit mor=
e
about it on Wikipedia - just type PE166 engine into the search bar and you
can learn more.

=20

Enjoy

=20

Jonmac

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Aptos;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
	mso-ligatures:standardcontextual;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#467886" vlink=3D"#96607D" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>I was going through my huge =
library of (badly sorted) pictures today and came across this sectioned =
view of the PE166 engine which I thought might be of interest to those =
of you who speculate on various technical aspects of S-T and BL =
history.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>The PE 166 was designed as a replacement for David =
Eley&#8217;s delightfully simple in-line six pot that started life at =
1998cc in 1960 for the Vanguard Six / Triumph 2000 / Vitesse / GT6 and =
then morphed into the 2498cc unit we (mostly) all know so well for the =
2.5PI / TR5 / TR6.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>While it was =
used extensively in the Rover SD1 for all markets outside the US and =
Canada in 2300 and 2600 guises, &nbsp;I don&#8217;t think any of those =
smaller engine variants that used the Ex-Buick V8 for North America and =
elsewhere, ever crossed the Atlantic. I had three Rovers with this power =
unit (1x2300 and 2x2600) powering three company issued cars and I =
remember it with great affection. It was very under-stressed, incredibly =
smooth running and had more than enough power to move those quite heavy =
cars along. In fact, it was very de-tuned to meet power and taxation =
regulations in mainland Europe and the UK and was certainly capable of =
producing a lot more power than it actually did &#8211; and with very =
little modification. You&nbsp; can learn a bit more about it on =
Wikipedia &#8211; just type <b>PE166 engine</b> into the search bar and =
you can learn more.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Enjoy<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Jonmac<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0008_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0--

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0
	name="PE166 engine cutaway.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="PE166 engine cutaway.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01DC20E4.DBF60CC0--