Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 16, Issue 161

From: Mike Coe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:55:30 -0600 (MDT)

--===============7931714862454909096==
	boundary="=_cce65926-0b32-46c0-af1b-128195f3aac0"

--=_cce65926-0b32-46c0-af1b-128195f3aac0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

As a young boy living quite close to Biggin Hill Airdrome my pals and I were subject to a lot of fighter plane activity. As high up in the sky RAF / Nazi fighting. Even some low down Nazi chases my Father was subject to as being chased whilst on Air Warden ground duty. 
Hope Battle.of Britain was noted. 
Cheers......Mike. Calgary. Alberta. 

From: [email-masked] 
To: "triumphs" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 12:00:02 PM 
Subject: Triumphs Digest, Vol 16, Issue 161 

Send Triumphs mailing list submissions to 
[email-masked] 

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs 
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to 
[email-masked] 

You can reach the person managing the list at 
[email-masked] 

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
than "Re: Contents of Triumphs digest..." 

Today's Topics: 

1. Rover V8 engine ([email-masked]) 
2. Re: TR tran tunnel heat (CFM-TR) 
3. Re: TR tran tunnel heat (Q) 
4. Re: Rover V8 engine (bill beecher) 
5. Re: TR tran tunnel heat (TeriAnn J. Wakeman) 
6. Re: TR tran tunnel heat (Greg Lemon) 
7. Re: Rover V8 engine ([email-masked]) 
8. 2 Piece Transmission Tunnels (Rochlin Robert) 
9. Re: Rover V8 engine (Notakitcar) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Message: 1 
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:20:47 +0100 
From: <[email-masked]> 
To: <[email-masked]> 
Cc: <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [TR] Rover V8 engine 

Dave Northrup wanted to know if the former WW2 airfield I mentioned in my 
last post was still in existence and if so, does it have any particular use? 

The answer is Yes to both queries, but not as an airfield. The original WW2 
hangars are still there and very much in use by various companies involved 
in distribution logistics. The former Royal Air Force Control Tower at the 
north end has long been converted into a private house. 

Attached (? Hopefully) is an aerial picture of the airfield layout as it 
used to be. When in use as a storage park for newly built Standard and 
Triumph cars, all three runways (still just visible in the pic) were used 
for storage with cars parked in two parallel lines down the runway centres 
with two further single lines on each runway edge. Mostly, they were parked 
by model and wherever possible by colour within each model group - always 
assuming there was available space. This overall layout gave two free 
carriageways the full length of each runway for unobstructed vehicle 
movements in each direction. The runway intersects were obviously not used 
for vehicle parking. 

If you've ever wondered where the rust on your Triumph first started, you're 
now looking at the location! 

Jonmac 

-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230917/70ab2856/attachment-0001.htm> 
-------------- next part -------------- 
A non-text attachment was scrubbed... 
Name: Honeybourne airfield.jpg 
Type: image/jpeg 
Size: 13799 bytes 
Desc: not available 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230917/70ab2856/attachment-0001.jpg> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 2 
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:47:45 -0400 
From: "CFM-TR" <[email-masked]> 
To: "'Dave Connitt'" <[email-masked]>, "'dave northrup'" 
<[email-masked]> 
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [TR] TR tran tunnel heat 

I have foil backed insulation under the carpet pad & carpet and the heat shield material under the car. The tunnel still gets toasty but not nearly as bad as without either. 

The idea of a vent may be worth thinking about but you would need to pull air from somewhere other than below the engine area. That heat is already flowing back through the tunnel to ?escape?. Ideally, from somewhere in front of the engine, with the tube not getting close to the engine area &/or exhaust. 

Good luck. 

Carl 

1960 Triumph TR3 

TS81802LO 

Tampa, FL 

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dave Connitt 
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2023 11:06 AM 
To: dave northrup <[email-masked]> 
Cc: Triumphs <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [TR] TR tran tunnel heat 

Hi Dave, 

I have the same heat issue with my TR4A. I also have reflective insulation on the inside of the tunnel and there still is a lot of radiated heat on the passenger side which was repeatedly brought to my attention by my wife on our 6,400 mile trip out west last June. I just purchased some aluminum heat shield material off Amazon that I will try and install between the exhaust and the tunnel/ floor pan this winter. If it works, I will post some pictures. 

Dave Connitt 

Sent from my iPhone 

? 

Was out in the TR6 yesterday. Last time we took the tunnel out we added more insulation. We have dynamat on the tunnel itself, and a couple layers of carpet insulation, including one large piece we just set over the tunnel and the floor in a continuous piece. 

Its much better than before but there?s still a lot of heat if you put your hand on the tunnel. 

Thought about other ways of cooling, like vents directly air up into the tunnel etc. 

What have people done to mitigate this? 

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive 

-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230917/66d2338e/attachment-0001.htm> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 3 
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:48:33 -0700 
From: Q <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [TR] TR tran tunnel heat 

I have used a silvered Mylar "quilted" material on several cars with 
good results.? It is two layers of Mylar that have air trapped 
in-between them in about 1/4 diamonds.? It is bright silver on both 
sides.? I bought it at the local Orchard Supply Store several years 
ago.? Orchard is out of business but I expect that any "Real" hardware 
store would have it. 

It is nice as it will not absorb oil (I install it on the transmission 
side of the tunnel).? I usually fit it to a new plastic transmission 
tunnel prior to installation on the car so the surface is dry and 
clean.? I use contact cement and cut a couple of pieces to fit the 
various contours of the tunnel.? The foil on my TR4 has been in place 
over 20 years now with no issues including no complaints from my wife. 

I also under-felt beneath the carpet throughout the interior.? It is a 
good quality carpet as well. 

Edward Hamer 

Petaluma CA 

------------------------------ 

Message: 4 
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:15:56 -0500 
From: bill beecher <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine 

Thank you John for a great bit of S-TR history. 
Bill 

?Shoot low sheriff, she?s riding a shetland? ?B.Wills 

On Sep 17, 2023, at 9:25?PM, [email-masked] wrote: 

? 
Dave Northrup wanted to know if the former WW2 airfield I mentioned in my last post was still in existence and if so, does it have any particular use? 

The answer is Yes to both queries, but not as an airfield. The original WW2 hangars are still there and very much in use by various companies involved in distribution logistics. The former Royal Air Force Control Tower at the north end has long been converted into a private house. 

Attached (? Hopefully) is an aerial picture of the airfield layout as it used to be. When in use as a storage park for newly built Standard and Triumph cars, all three runways (still just visible in the pic) were used for storage with cars parked in two parallel lines down the runway centres with two further single lines on each runway edge. Mostly, they were parked by model and wherever possible by colour within each model group ? always assuming there was available space. This overall layout gave two free carriageways the full length of each runway for unobstructed vehicle movements in each direction. The runway intersects were obviously not used for vehicle parking. 

If you?ve ever wondered where the rust on your Triumph first started, you?re now looking at the location! 

Jonmac 
<Honeybourne airfield.jpg> 
** [email-masked] ** 

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive 

-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230917/0b329a8b/attachment-0001.htm> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 5 
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 05:30:35 -0700 
From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [TR] TR tran tunnel heat 

I have done the exact same thing as Edward in my 1960 Land Rover. 3 
layers under the tunnel, one above to cut down sound and excess heat. 
That was over 30 years ago. The bubble insulation is still there and in 
decent condition. 

On 9/17/23 5:48 PM, Q wrote: 
> I have used a silvered Mylar "quilted" material on several cars with 
> good results.? It is two layers of Mylar that have air trapped 
> in-between them in about 1/4 diamonds.? It is bright silver on both 
> sides.? I bought it at the local Orchard Supply Store several years 
> ago.? Orchard is out of business but I expect that any "Real" hardware 
> store would have it. 
> 
> It is nice as it will not absorb oil (I install it on the transmission 
> side of the tunnel).? I usually fit it to a new plastic transmission 
> tunnel prior to installation on the car so the surface is dry and 
> clean.? I use contact cement and cut a couple of pieces to fit the 
> various contours of the tunnel.? The foil on my TR4 has been in place 
> over 20 years now with no issues including no complaints from my wife. 

------------------------------ 

Message: 6 
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 08:14:02 -0500 
From: Greg Lemon <[email-masked]> 
To: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: Triumphs <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [TR] TR tran tunnel heat 
<CAFtw3abObh8oND4ZQGGPV7-dnVk=[email-masked]> 

I have used the bubble insulation on my TR250 tunnel and floors and have no 
noticeable cockpit heat coming in. 

I will note I also did this to my old Healey 100, and it worked there to, 
and the big Healeys have a much bigger cockpit heat problem than the old 
TRs. A roll at the big box hardware store should be $20 dollars or so. 

Greg Lemon 
TR250 

On Mon, Sep 18, 2023, 7:40 AM TeriAnn J. Wakeman <[email-masked]> 
wrote: 

> I have done the exact same thing as Edward in my 1960 Land Rover. 3 
> layers under the tunnel, one above to cut down sound and excess heat. 
> That was over 30 years ago. The bubble insulation is still there and in 
> decent condition. 
> 
> On 9/17/23 5:48 PM, Q wrote: 
> > I have used a silvered Mylar "quilted" material on several cars with 
> > good results. It is two layers of Mylar that have air trapped 
> > in-between them in about 1/4 diamonds. It is bright silver on both 
> > sides. I bought it at the local Orchard Supply Store several years 
> > ago. Orchard is out of business but I expect that any "Real" hardware 
> > store would have it. 
> > 
> > It is nice as it will not absorb oil (I install it on the transmission 
> > side of the tunnel). I usually fit it to a new plastic transmission 
> > tunnel prior to installation on the car so the surface is dry and 
> > clean. I use contact cement and cut a couple of pieces to fit the 
> > various contours of the tunnel. The foil on my TR4 has been in place 
> > over 20 years now with no issues including no complaints from my wife. 
> 
> ** [email-masked] ** 
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html 
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs 
> http://www.team.net/archive 
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked] 
> 
-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230918/8f3bf9c6/attachment-0001.htm> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 7 
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:55:22 +0100 
From: <[email-masked]> 
To: "'bill beecher'" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine 

My pleasure, Bill. Glad you enjoyed it. Actually, I got the vehicle parking details wrong as I?ve just found an article I wrote some years ago which clearly shows how it really was. THREE parallel lines of cars (not ONE) working outwards from the runway centrelines, with two single lines on each runway edge. A lot more pictures as well. 

FWIW I?m currently occupied in compiling all these later stories into another book as a sequel to the one I published in 1998 called ?In The Shadow of my Father?. When it?s all done, it?ll appear (hopefully) via Amazon self-publishing as a print on demand. I might also re-publish the 1998 book in the same way at the same time. Originally, I did 1,000 copies and they sold out within a month. As the printer was still in business, he ran off another 7,000 copies of which only about 10 are still left. Can?t do that now as the guy who did the original 8,000 later sold his business, retired to live in Spain and died about two months after relocating. 

So if anyone out there can tell me the ins and outs of uploading a book manuscript to Amazon I?ll be eternally grateful as that sort of cyber-tech is usually way outside my pay grade and competence! 

Jonmac 

From: bill beecher <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 4:16 AM 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine 

Thank you John for a great bit of S-TR history. 

Bill 

?Shoot low sheriff, she?s riding a shetland? ?B.Wills 

? 

Dave Northrup wanted to know if the former WW2 airfield I mentioned in my last post was still in existence and if so, does it have any particular use? 

The answer is Yes to both queries, but not as an airfield. The original WW2 hangars are still there and very much in use by various companies involved in distribution logistics. The former Royal Air Force Control Tower at the north end has long been converted into a private house. 

Attached (? Hopefully) is an aerial picture of the airfield layout as it used to be. When in use as a storage park for newly built Standard and Triumph cars, all three runways (still just visible in the pic) were used for storage with cars parked in two parallel lines down the runway centres with two further single lines on each runway edge. Mostly, they were parked by model and wherever possible by colour within each model group ? always assuming there was available space. This overall layout gave two free carriageways the full length of each runway for unobstructed vehicle movements in each direction. The runway intersects were obviously not used for vehicle parking. 

If you?ve ever wondered where the rust on your Triumph first started, you?re now looking at the location! 

Jonmac 

<Honeybourne airfield.jpg> 

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive 

-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230918/600e6f11/attachment-0001.htm> 
-------------- next part -------------- 
A non-text attachment was scrubbed... 
Name: Cover ITSOMF - Vol 2 DRAFT.jpg 
Type: image/jpeg 
Size: 105214 bytes 
Desc: not available 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230918/600e6f11/attachment-0001.jpg> 

------------------------------ 

Message: 8 
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:17:11 -0400 
From: Rochlin Robert <[email-masked]> 
To: Triumphs <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [TR] 2 Piece Transmission Tunnels 

Speaking of transmission tunnels. Has anyone tried the 2 pice tunnels that are available? 
Bob 
?72 TR 6 

------------------------------ 

Message: 9 
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 10:29:03 -0500 
From: "Notakitcar" <[email-masked]> 
To: <[email-masked]> 
Cc: <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine 

Love the cover, have never uploaded to Amazon but I bet they would be happy to help. 

All the best, 

Bill 

NB-Almost finished with ?In The Shadow Of My Father? very enjoyable. 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 8:55 AM 
To: 'bill beecher' <[email-masked]> 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Subject: RE: [TR] Rover V8 engine 

My pleasure, Bill. Glad you enjoyed it. Actually, I got the vehicle parking details wrong as I?ve just found an article I wrote some years ago which clearly shows how it really was. THREE parallel lines of cars (not ONE) working outwards from the runway centrelines, with two single lines on each runway edge. A lot more pictures as well. 

FWIW I?m currently occupied in compiling all these later stories into another book as a sequel to the one I published in 1998 called ?In The Shadow of my Father?. When it?s all done, it?ll appear (hopefully) via Amazon self-publishing as a print on demand. I might also re-publish the 1998 book in the same way at the same time. Originally, I did 1,000 copies and they sold out within a month. As the printer was still in business, he ran off another 7,000 copies of which only about 10 are still left. Can?t do that now as the guy who did the original 8,000 later sold his business, retired to live in Spain and died about two months after relocating. 

So if anyone out there can tell me the ins and outs of uploading a book manuscript to Amazon I?ll be eternally grateful as that sort of cyber-tech is usually way outside my pay grade and competence! 

Jonmac 

Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 4:16 AM 
Subject: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine 

Thank you John for a great bit of S-TR history. 

Bill 

?Shoot low sheriff, she?s riding a shetland? ?B.Wills 

? 

Dave Northrup wanted to know if the former WW2 airfield I mentioned in my last post was still in existence and if so, does it have any particular use? 

The answer is Yes to both queries, but not as an airfield. The original WW2 hangars are still there and very much in use by various companies involved in distribution logistics. The former Royal Air Force Control Tower at the north end has long been converted into a private house. 

Attached (? Hopefully) is an aerial picture of the airfield layout as it used to be. When in use as a storage park for newly built Standard and Triumph cars, all three runways (still just visible in the pic) were used for storage with cars parked in two parallel lines down the runway centres with two further single lines on each runway edge. Mostly, they were parked by model and wherever possible by colour within each model group ? always assuming there was available space. This overall layout gave two free carriageways the full length of each runway for unobstructed vehicle movements in each direction. The runway intersects were obviously not used for vehicle parking. 

If you?ve ever wondered where the rust on your Triumph first started, you?re now looking at the location! 

Jonmac 

<Honeybourne airfield.jpg> 

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive 

-------------- next part -------------- 
An HTML attachment was scrubbed... 
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230918/104c842c/attachment-0001.htm> 

------------------------------ 

Subject: Digest Footer 

_______________________________________________ 

Triumphs mailing list 
[email-masked] 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs 

------------------------------ 

End of Triumphs Digest, Vol 16, Issue 161 
***************************************** 

--=_cce65926-0b32-46c0-af1b-128195f3aac0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-s=
ize: 10pt; color: #000000"><div><br></div><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></d=
iv><div><br data-mce-bogus=3D"1"></div><div>As a young boy living quite clo=
se to Biggin Hill Airdrome my pals and I were subject to a lot of fighter p=
lane activity. As high up in the sky RAF / Nazi fighting. Even some low dow=
n Nazi chases my Father was subject to as being chased whilst on Air Warden=
 ground duty.</div><div>Hope Battle.of Britain was noted.</div><div>Cheers.=
.....Mike. Calgary. Alberta.</div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"zwchr" data-mark=
er=3D"__DIVIDER__"><div data-marker=3D"__HEADERS__"><b>From: </b>triumphs-r=
[email-masked]<br><b>To: </b>"triumphs" &lt;[email-masked]&=
gt;<br><b>Sent: </b>Monday, September 18, 2023 12:00:02 PM<br><b>Subject: <=
/b>Triumphs Digest, Vol 16, Issue 161<br></div><div><br></div><div data-mar=
ker=3D"__QUOTED_TEXT__">Send Triumphs mailing list submissions to<br>&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>To=
 subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triu=
mphs<br>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to<br>&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]=
t<br><br>You can reach the person managing the list at<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[email-masked]<br><br>When re=
plying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific<br>than "Re: C=
ontents of Triumphs digest..."<br><br><br>Today's Topics:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbs=
p; 1. Rover V8 engine ([email-masked])<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Re: TR tr=
an tunnel heat (CFM-TR)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. Re: TR tran tunnel heat (Q)<br>&=
nbsp;&nbsp; 4. Re: Rover V8 engine (bill beecher)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 5. Re: TR=
 tran tunnel heat (TeriAnn J. Wakeman)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 6. Re: TR tran tunne=
l heat (Greg Lemon)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 7. Re: Rover V8 engine (johnbmacartney@=
gmx.com)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp; 8. 2 Piece Transmission Tunnels (Rochlin Robert)<b=
r>&nbsp;&nbsp; 9. Re: Rover V8 engine (Notakitcar)<br><br><br>-------------=
---------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Message: 1=
<br>Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 21:20:47 +0100<br>From: &lt;[email-masked]=
om&gt;<br>To: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Cc: &lt;[email-masked]&g=
t;<br>Subject: [TR] Rover V8 engine<br>Message-ID: &lt;007301d9e9a4$7524e1c=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"us-ascii"<b=
r><br>Dave Northrup wanted to know if the former WW2 airfield I mentioned i=
n my<br>last post was still in existence and if so, does it have any partic=
ular use?<br><br><br><br>The answer is Yes to both queries, but not as an a=
irfield. The original WW2<br>hangars are still there and very much in use b=
y various companies involved<br>in distribution logistics. The former Royal=
 Air Force Control Tower at the<br>north end has long been converted into a=
 private house.<br><br><br><br>Attached (? Hopefully) is an aerial picture =
of the airfield layout as it<br>used to be. When in use as a storage park f=
or newly built Standard and<br>Triumph cars, all three runways (still just =
visible in the pic) were used<br>for storage with cars parked in two parall=
el lines down the runway centres<br>with two further single lines on each r=
unway edge. Mostly, they were parked<br>by model and wherever possible by c=
olour within each model group - always<br>assuming there was available spac=
e. This overall layout gave two free<br>carriageways the full length of eac=
h runway for unobstructed vehicle<br>movements in each direction. The runwa=
y intersects were obviously not used<br>for vehicle parking.<br><br><br><br=
>If you've ever wondered where the rust on your Triumph first started, you'=
re<br>now looking at the location!<br><br><br><br>Jonmac<br><br>-----------=
--- next part --------------<br>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>URL: =
&lt;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230917/70ab2856/=
attachment-0001.htm&gt;<br>-------------- next part --------------<br>A non=
-text attachment was scrubbed...<br>Name: Honeybourne airfield.jpg<br>Type:=
 image/jpeg<br>Size: 13799 bytes<br>Desc: not available<br>URL: &lt;http://=
autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230917/70ab2856/attachment-=
0001.jpg&gt;<br><br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 2<br>Dat=
e: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:47:45 -0400<br>From: "CFM-TR" &lt;[email-masked]=
t&gt;<br>To: "'Dave Connitt'" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, "'dave northrup'"<=
br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;[email-masked]&gt;=
<br>Cc: "'Triumphs'" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [TR] T=
R tran tunnel heat<br>Message-ID: &lt;000501d9e9c1$5c5fea50$151fbef0$@veriz=
on.net&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"<br><br>I have foi=
l backed insulation under the carpet pad &amp; carpet and the heat shield m=
aterial under the car. The tunnel still gets toasty but not nearly as bad a=
s without either. &nbsp;<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>The idea of a vent may be wor=
th thinking about but you would need to pull air from somewhere other than =
below the engine area. &nbsp;That heat is already flowing back through the =
tunnel to ?escape?. &nbsp;Ideally, from somewhere in front of the engine, w=
ith the tube not getting close to the engine area &amp;/or exhaust.<br><br>=
&nbsp;<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Carl <br><br>1960 Triumph TR3=
<br><br>TS81802LO<br><br>Tampa, FL<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>From: Triumphs [mai=
lto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dave Connitt<br>Sent: Sun=
day, September 17, 2023 11:06 AM<br>To: dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&=
gt;<br>Cc: Triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [TR] TR=
 tran tunnel heat<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Hi Dave,<br><br>I have the same heat=
 issue with my TR4A. I also have reflective insulation on the inside of the=
 tunnel and there still is a lot of radiated heat on the passenger side whi=
ch was repeatedly brought to my attention by my wife on our 6,400 mile trip=
 out west last June. I just purchased some aluminum heat shield material of=
f Amazon that I will try and install between the exhaust and the tunnel/ fl=
oor pan this winter. If it works, I will post some pictures.<br><br>Dave Co=
nnitt<br><br>Sent from my iPhone<br><br><br><br><br><br>On Sep 17, 2023, at=
 10:48 AM, dave northrup &lt;[email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]&g=
t; &gt; wrote:<br><br>? <br><br>Was out in the TR6 yesterday. &nbsp;Last ti=
me we took the tunnel out we added more insulation. &nbsp;We have dynamat o=
n the tunnel itself, and a couple layers of carpet insulation, including on=
e large piece we just set over the tunnel and the floor in a continuous pie=
ce.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Its much better than before but there?s still a lo=
t of heat if you put your hand on the tunnel. &nbsp;<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>T=
hought about other ways of cooling, like vents directly air up into the tun=
nel etc. <br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>What have people done to mitigate this?<br><=
br>** [email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]&gt; &nbsp;=
**<br><br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Archive: http://www.te=
am.net/pipermail/triumphs &nbsp;http://www.team.net/archive<br><br>Unsubscr=
ibe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
t<br><br>-------------- next part --------------<br>An HTML attachment was =
scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachment=
s/20230917/66d2338e/attachment-0001.htm&gt;<br><br>------------------------=
------<br><br>Message: 3<br>Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:48:33 -0700<br>From: =
Q &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Subject: Re:=
 [TR] TR tran tunnel heat<br>Message-ID: &lt;708bc92f-fb70-9055-7b8c-ae249f=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3DUTF-8; format=3Df=
lowed<br><br>I have used a silvered Mylar "quilted" material on several car=
s with <br>good results.? It is two layers of Mylar that have air trapped <=
br>in-between them in about 1/4 diamonds.? It is bright silver on both <br>=
sides.? I bought it at the local Orchard Supply Store several years <br>ago=
.? Orchard is out of business but I expect that any "Real" hardware <br>sto=
re would have it.<br><br>It is nice as it will not absorb oil (I install it=
 on the transmission <br>side of the tunnel).? I usually fit it to a new pl=
astic transmission <br>tunnel prior to installation on the car so the surfa=
ce is dry and <br>clean.? I use contact cement and cut a couple of pieces t=
o fit the <br>various contours of the tunnel.? The foil on my TR4 has been =
in place <br>over 20 years now with no issues including no complaints from =
my wife.<br><br>I also under-felt beneath the carpet throughout the interio=
r.? It is a <br>good quality carpet as well.<br><br><br>Edward Hamer<br><br=
>Petaluma CA<br><br><br><br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: =
4<br>Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 22:15:56 -0500<br>From: bill beecher &lt;notaki=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Cc: [email-masked], t=
[email-masked]<br>Subject: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine<br>Message-ID: =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: tex=
t/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"<br><br>Thank you John for a great bit of S-TR hi=
story. <br>Bill<br><br>?Shoot low sheriff, she?s riding a shetland? ?B.Will=
s<br><br>On Sep 17, 2023, at 9:25?PM, [email-masked] wrote:<br><br>=
?<br>Dave Northrup wanted to know if the former WW2 airfield I mentioned in=
 my last post was still in existence and if so, does it have any particular=
 use?<br>&nbsp;<br>The answer is Yes to both queries, but not as an airfiel=
d. The original WW2 hangars are still there and very much in use by various=
 companies involved in distribution logistics. The former Royal Air Force C=
ontrol Tower at the north end has long been converted into a private house.=
<br>&nbsp;<br>Attached (? Hopefully) is an aerial picture of the airfield l=
ayout as it used to be. When in use as a storage park for newly built Stand=
ard and Triumph cars, all three runways (still just visible in the pic) wer=
e used for storage with cars parked in two parallel lines down the runway c=
entres with two further single lines on each runway edge. Mostly, they were=
 parked by model and wherever possible by colour within each model group ? =
always assuming there was available space. This overall layout gave two fre=
e carriageways the full length of each runway for unobstructed vehicle move=
ments in each direction. The runway intersects were obviously not used for =
vehicle parking.<br>&nbsp;<br>If you?ve ever wondered where the rust on you=
r Triumph first started, you?re now looking at the location!<br>&nbsp;<br>J=
onmac<br>&lt;Honeybourne airfield.jpg&gt;<br>** [email-masked] **<=
br><br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Archive: http://www.team.=
net/pipermail/triumphs &nbsp;http://www.team.net/archive<br><br>Unsubscribe=
/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
m<br>-------------- next part --------------<br>An HTML attachment was scru=
bbed...<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20=
230917/0b329a8b/attachment-0001.htm&gt;<br><br>----------------------------=
--<br><br>Message: 5<br>Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 05:30:35 -0700<br>From: "Ter=
iAnn J. Wakeman" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: [email-masked]=
<br>Subject: Re: [TR] TR tran tunnel heat<br>Message-ID: &lt;447a9112-4a7a-=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=
=3DUTF-8; format=3Dflowed<br><br>I have done the exact same thing as Edward=
 in my 1960 Land Rover. 3 <br>layers under the tunnel, one above to cut dow=
n sound and excess heat. <br>That was over 30 years ago. The bubble insulat=
ion is still there and in <br>decent condition.<br><br>On 9/17/23 5:48 PM, =
Q wrote:<br>&gt; I have used a silvered Mylar "quilted" material on several=
 cars with <br>&gt; good results.? It is two layers of Mylar that have air =
trapped <br>&gt; in-between them in about 1/4 diamonds.? It is bright silve=
r on both <br>&gt; sides.? I bought it at the local Orchard Supply Store se=
veral years <br>&gt; ago.? Orchard is out of business but I expect that any=
 "Real" hardware <br>&gt; store would have it.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; It is nice a=
s it will not absorb oil (I install it on the transmission <br>&gt; side of=
 the tunnel).? I usually fit it to a new plastic transmission <br>&gt; tunn=
el prior to installation on the car so the surface is dry and <br>&gt; clea=
n.? I use contact cement and cut a couple of pieces to fit the <br>&gt; var=
ious contours of the tunnel.? The foil on my TR4 has been in place <br>&gt;=
 over 20 years now with no issues including no complaints from my wife.<br>=
<br><br><br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 6<br>Date: Mon, =
18 Sep 2023 08:14:02 -0500<br>From: Greg Lemon &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>=
To: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Cc: Triumphs &lt;tr=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [TR] TR tran tunnel heat<br>Messa=
ge-ID:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;CAFtw3abObh8o=
ND4ZQGGPV7-dnVk=[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type=
: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"<br><br>I have used the bubble insulation on=
 my TR250 tunnel and floors and have no<br>noticeable cockpit heat coming i=
n.<br><br>I will note I also did this to my old Healey 100, and it worked t=
here to,<br>and the big Healeys have a much bigger cockpit heat problem tha=
n the old<br>TRs. &nbsp;A roll at the big box hardware store should be $20 =
dollars or so.<br><br>Greg Lemon<br>TR250<br><br>On Mon, Sep 18, 2023, 7:40=
 AM TeriAnn J. Wakeman &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>wrote:<br><br>&gt; I =
have done the exact same thing as Edward in my 1960 Land Rover. 3<br>&gt; l=
ayers under the tunnel, one above to cut down sound and excess heat.<br>&gt=
; That was over 30 years ago. The bubble insulation is still there and in<b=
r>&gt; decent condition.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; On 9/17/23 5:48 PM, Q wrote:<br>&g=
t; &gt; I have used a silvered Mylar "quilted" material on several cars wit=
h<br>&gt; &gt; good results. &nbsp;It is two layers of Mylar that have air =
trapped<br>&gt; &gt; in-between them in about 1/4 diamonds. &nbsp;It is bri=
ght silver on both<br>&gt; &gt; sides. &nbsp;I bought it at the local Orcha=
rd Supply Store several years<br>&gt; &gt; ago. &nbsp;Orchard is out of bus=
iness but I expect that any "Real" hardware<br>&gt; &gt; store would have i=
t.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; It is nice as it will not absorb oil (I instal=
l it on the transmission<br>&gt; &gt; side of the tunnel). &nbsp;I usually =
fit it to a new plastic transmission<br>&gt; &gt; tunnel prior to installat=
ion on the car so the surface is dry and<br>&gt; &gt; clean. &nbsp;I use co=
ntact cement and cut a couple of pieces to fit the<br>&gt; &gt; various con=
tours of the tunnel. &nbsp;The foil on my TR4 has been in place<br>&gt; &gt=
; over 20 years now with no issues including no complaints from my wife.<br=
>&gt;<br>&gt; ** [email-masked] **<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Donate: http://=
www.team.net/donate.html<br>&gt; Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tri=
umphs<br>&gt; http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Unsubscribe/Manag=
e:<br>&gt; http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]<=
br>&gt;<br>-------------- next part --------------<br>An HTML attachment wa=
s scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachme=
nts/20230918/8f3bf9c6/attachment-0001.htm&gt;<br><br>----------------------=
--------<br><br>Message: 7<br>Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 14:55:22 +0100<br>From=
: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: "'bill beecher'" &lt;notakitcar@yah=
oo.com&gt;<br>Cc: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [TR] Rove=
r V8 engine<br>Message-ID: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<=
br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"<br><br>My pleasure, Bill. Gl=
ad you enjoyed it. Actually, I got the vehicle parking details wrong as I?v=
e just found an article I wrote some years ago which clearly shows how it r=
eally was. THREE parallel lines of cars (not ONE) working outwards from the=
 runway centrelines, with two single lines on each runway edge. A lot more =
pictures as well.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>FWIW I?m currently occupied in compi=
ling all these later stories into another book as a sequel to the one I pub=
lished in 1998 called ?In The Shadow of my Father?. When it?s all done, it?=
ll appear (hopefully) via Amazon self-publishing as a print on demand. I mi=
ght also re-publish the 1998 book in the same way at the same time. Origina=
lly, I did 1,000 copies and they sold out within a month. As the printer wa=
s still in business, he ran off another 7,000 copies of which only about 10=
 are still left. Can?t do that now as the guy who did the original 8,000 la=
ter sold his business, retired to live in Spain and died about two months a=
fter relocating.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>So if anyone out there can tell me th=
e ins and outs of uploading a book manuscript to Amazon I?ll be eternally g=
rateful as that sort of cyber-tech is usually way outside my pay grade and =
competence!<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Jonmac<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>From: bill bee=
cher &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 4:16=
 AM<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]=
eam.net<br>Subject: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Thank you=
 John for a great bit of S-TR history. <br><br>Bill<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>?S=
hoot low sheriff, she?s riding a shetland? ?B.Wills<br><br><br>On Sep 17, 2=
023, at 9:25?PM, [email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]&g=
t; &nbsp;wrote:<br><br>?<br><br>Dave Northrup wanted to know if the former =
WW2 airfield I mentioned in my last post was still in existence and if so, =
does it have any particular use?<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>The answer is Yes to =
both queries, but not as an airfield. The original WW2 hangars are still th=
ere and very much in use by various companies involved in distribution logi=
stics. The former Royal Air Force Control Tower at the north end has long b=
een converted into a private house. <br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Attached (? Hopef=
ully) is an aerial picture of the airfield layout as it used to be. When in=
 use as a storage park for newly built Standard and Triumph cars, all three=
 runways (still just visible in the pic) were used for storage with cars pa=
rked in two parallel lines down the runway centres with two further single =
lines on each runway edge. Mostly, they were parked by model and wherever p=
ossible by colour within each model group ? always assuming there was avail=
able space. This overall layout gave two free carriageways the full length =
of each runway for unobstructed vehicle movements in each direction. The ru=
nway intersects were obviously not used for vehicle parking.<br><br>&nbsp;<=
br><br>If you?ve ever wondered where the rust on your Triumph first started=
, you?re now looking at the location!<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Jonmac<br><br>&l=
t;Honeybourne airfield.jpg&gt;<br><br>** [email-masked] &lt;mailto=
:[email-masked]&gt; &nbsp;**<br><br>Donate: http://www.team.net/do=
nate.html<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs &nbsp;http://w=
ww.team.net/archive<br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailma=
n/options/triumphs/[email-masked]<br><br>-------------- next part ---=
-----------<br>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.=
team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230918/600e6f11/attachment-0001.h=
tm&gt;<br>-------------- next part --------------<br>A non-text attachment =
was scrubbed...<br>Name: Cover ITSOMF - Vol 2 DRAFT.jpg<br>Type: image/jpeg=
<br>Size: 105214 bytes<br>Desc: not available<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team=
.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20230918/600e6f11/attachment-0001.jpg&g=
t;<br><br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 8<br>Date: Mon, 18=
 Sep 2023 10:17:11 -0400<br>From: Rochlin Robert &lt;[email-masked]&g=
t;<br>To: Triumphs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: [TR] 2 Piece=
 Transmission Tunnels<br>Message-ID: &lt;FAF0F995-C8EB-46D3-A8B7-EE5B7EC4AD=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;charset=3Dutf-8<br><br>Speaking of transmission tunnels=
. &nbsp;Has anyone tried the 2 pice tunnels that are available?<br>Bob<br>?=
72 TR 6<br><br>------------------------------<br><br>Message: 9<br>Date: Mo=
n, 18 Sep 2023 10:29:03 -0500<br>From: "Notakitcar" &lt;[email-masked]=
m&gt;<br>To: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Cc: &lt;[email-masked].=
net&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine<br>Message-ID: &lt;005501d9ea4=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"=
utf-8"<br><br>Love the cover, have never uploaded to Amazon but I bet they =
would be happy to help. <br><br>All the best,<br><br>Bill<br><br>&nbsp;<br>=
<br>NB-Almost finished with ?In The Shadow Of My Father? very enjoyable.<br=
><br>&nbsp;<br><br>From: [email-masked] [mailto:johnbmacartney@gmx.=
com] <br>Sent: Monday, September 18, 2023 8:55 AM<br>To: 'bill beecher' &lt=
;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Cc: [email-masked]<br>Subject: RE: [T=
R] Rover V8 engine<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>My pleasure, Bill. Glad you enjoyed=
 it. Actually, I got the vehicle parking details wrong as I?ve just found a=
n article I wrote some years ago which clearly shows how it really was. THR=
EE parallel lines of cars (not ONE) working outwards from the runway centre=
lines, with two single lines on each runway edge. A lot more pictures as we=
ll.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>FWIW I?m currently occupied in compiling all these=
 later stories into another book as a sequel to the one I published in 1998=
 called ?In The Shadow of my Father?. When it?s all done, it?ll appear (hop=
efully) via Amazon self-publishing as a print on demand. I might also re-pu=
blish the 1998 book in the same way at the same time. Originally, I did 1,0=
00 copies and they sold out within a month. As the printer was still in bus=
iness, he ran off another 7,000 copies of which only about 10 are still lef=
t. Can?t do that now as the guy who did the original 8,000 later sold his b=
usiness, retired to live in Spain and died about two months after relocatin=
g.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>So if anyone out there can tell me the ins and outs=
 of uploading a book manuscript to Amazon I?ll be eternally grateful as tha=
t sort of cyber-tech is usually way outside my pay grade and competence!<br=
><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Jonmac<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>From: bill beecher &lt;notak=
[email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]&gt; &gt; <br>Sent: Monday, =
September 18, 2023 4:16 AM<br>To: [email-masked] &lt;mailto:johnbma=
[email-masked]&gt; <br>Cc: [email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]&gt=
; ; [email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]&gt; <br>Subj=
ect: Re: [TR] Rover V8 engine<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Thank you John for a gre=
at bit of S-TR history. <br><br>Bill<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>?Shoot low sherif=
f, she?s riding a shetland? ?B.Wills<br><br><br>On Sep 17, 2023, at 9:25?PM=
, [email-masked] &lt;mailto:[email-masked]&gt; &nbsp;wrote:=
<br><br>?<br><br>Dave Northrup wanted to know if the former WW2 airfield I =
mentioned in my last post was still in existence and if so, does it have an=
y particular use?<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>The answer is Yes to both queries, b=
ut not as an airfield. The original WW2 hangars are still there and very mu=
ch in use by various companies involved in distribution logistics. The form=
er Royal Air Force Control Tower at the north end has long been converted i=
nto a private house. <br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Attached (? Hopefully) is an aer=
ial picture of the airfield layout as it used to be. When in use as a stora=
ge park for newly built Standard and Triumph cars, all three runways (still=
 just visible in the pic) were used for storage with cars parked in two par=
allel lines down the runway centres with two further single lines on each r=
unway edge. Mostly, they were parked by model and wherever possible by colo=
ur within each model group ? always assuming there was available space. Thi=
s overall layout gave two free carriageways the full length of each runway =
for unobstructed vehicle movements in each direction. The runway intersects=
 were obviously not used for vehicle parking.<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>If you?v=
e ever wondered where the rust on your Triumph first started, you?re now lo=
oking at the location!<br><br>&nbsp;<br><br>Jonmac<br><br>&lt;Honeybourne a=
irfield.jpg&gt;<br><br>** [email-masked] &lt;mailto:triumphs@autox=
.team.net&gt; &nbsp;**<br><br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Ar=
chive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs &nbsp;http://www.team.net/arc=
hive<br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/trium=
phs/[email-masked]<br><br>-------------- next part --------------<br>=
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>URL: &lt;http://autox.team.net/piperm=
ail/triumphs/attachments/20230918/104c842c/attachment-0001.htm&gt;<br><br>-=
-----------------------------<br><br>Subject: Digest Footer<br><br>________=
_______________________________________<br><br>Triumphs mailing list<br>Tri=
[email-masked]<br>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs<br>=
<br><br>------------------------------<br><br>End of Triumphs Digest, Vol 1=
6, Issue 161<br>*****************************************<br></div></div></=
body></html>
--=_cce65926-0b32-46c0-af1b-128195f3aac0--

--===============7931714862454909096==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7931714862454909096==--