Subject: Re: [TR] ZS Carbs leak

From: "Alex & Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 20:52:19 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============9179110405470958066==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0012_01D90C10.21FD51C0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01D90C10.21FD51C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I had fuel leaking from the plastic plugs on the bottom of the carbs on the
GT6 MK lll that we used to own. The raw fuel would land right on top of the
starter. A call to Joe Curto resulted in a pair of replacement O-Rings
arriving in the mail. He mentioned that the rubber used in standard O-Rings
doesn't hold up well with today's gasoline. That solved the problem for us.

Alex Thomson

'73 TR6

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of dave
northrup
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2022 8:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] ZS Carbs leak

TR6 - The bottom of the carbs have gas on them; I can feel it when I run my
fingers along the bottom.

Replaced all the bottom stuff a few years ago.  TR6 was driven from Dallas
to Reno in April; no gas smell in daughter's garage in Reno.  Was driven in
May and August in Reno (see Hot August Nights!) but no smell.  Was driven
from Reno to Taos to Dallas; seems like that is when the problem started.

Any thoughts on where I should start?  Its probably either the seal in the
float chamber or the seal on the very bottom?  If I put a mirror down there
what am I looking for?

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01D90C10.21FD51C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'>I had fuel leaking from the =
plastic plugs on the bottom of the carbs on the GT6 MK lll that we used =
to own. The raw fuel would land right on top of the starter. A call to =
Joe Curto resulted in a pair of replacement O-Rings arriving in the =
mail. He mentioned that the rubber used in standard O-Rings =
doesn&#8217;t hold up well with today&#8217;s gasoline. That solved the =
problem for us.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'>Alex =
Thomson<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'>&#8217;73 =
TR6<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div=
><div style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt =
0in 0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>dave northrup<br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, December 09, 2022 8:15 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] ZS =
Carbs leak<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>TR6 - The =
bottom of the carbs have gas on them; I can feel it when I run my =
fingers along the bottom.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Replaced all =
the bottom stuff a few years ago.&nbsp; TR6 was driven from Dallas to =
Reno in April; no gas smell in daughter&#8217;s garage in Reno.&nbsp; =
Was driven in May and August in Reno (see Hot August Nights!) but no =
smell.&nbsp; Was driven from Reno to Taos to Dallas; seems like that is =
when the problem started.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Any thoughts =
on where I should start?&nbsp; Its probably either the seal in the float =
chamber or the seal on the very bottom?&nbsp; If I put a mirror down =
there what am I looking for?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0012_01D90C10.21FD51C0--

--===============9179110405470958066==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============9179110405470958066==--

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 03:44:22 +0000 (UTC)

--===============5265600762235449617==
	boundary="----=_Part_1707578_1917711030.1670643862010"

------=_Part_1707578_1917711030.1670643862010
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 It's been mentioned that the O-ring seal in the plug in the float bowl is =
likely the issue.=C2=A0 You didn't mention what year car yours is but the l=
ater cars have a snap-in plastic plug but the earlier cars have a brass scr=
ew-in plug.
Either way you can fit a float bowl from a TR7, TR8 or late model MGB which=
 has no hole at all and will fix the issue permanently.=C2=A0 The screws ar=
e a different length so if you source these bowls be sure to get the screws=
, too.
=20
Dave=20

71 TR6 with TR8 float bowls that will never leak.

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Dec 9, 2022 7:14 pm
Subject: [TR] ZS Carbs leak

 <!--#yiv7734284295 filtered {}#yiv7734284295 filtered {}#yiv7734284295 p.y=
iv7734284295MsoNormal, #yiv7734284295 li.yiv7734284295MsoNormal, #yiv773428=
4295 div.yiv7734284295MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"C=
alibri", sans-serif;}#yiv7734284295 span.yiv7734284295EmailStyle17 {font-fa=
mily:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv7734284295 .yiv7734284295M=
soChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv7734284295 filtered {}=
#yiv7734284295 div.yiv7734284295WordSection1 {}-->TR6 - The bottom of the c=
arbs have gas on them; I can feel it when I run my fingers along the bottom=
.  =C2=A0 Replaced all the bottom stuff a few years ago.=C2=A0 TR6 was driv=
en from Dallas to Reno in April; no gas smell in daughter=E2=80=99s garage =
in Reno.=C2=A0 Was driven in May and August in Reno (see Hot August Nights!=
) but no smell.=C2=A0 Was driven from Reno to Taos to Dallas; seems like th=
at is when the problem started.  =C2=A0 Any thoughts on where I should star=
t?=C2=A0 Its probably either the seal in the float chamber or the seal on t=
he very bottom?=C2=A0 If I put a mirror down there what am I looking for?  =
=C2=A0 ** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archiv=
e

[email-masked]

------=_Part_1707578_1917711030.1670643862010
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div style=3D"color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size=3D"3">It's been mentioned that the O-ring seal in the plug=
 in the float bowl is likely the issue.&nbsp; You didn't mention what year =
car yours is but the later cars have a snap-in plastic plug but the earlier=
 cars have a brass screw-in plug.</font></div>

<div><font size=3D"3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size=3D"3">Either way you can fit a float bowl from a TR7, TR8 o=
r late model MGB which has no hole at all and will fix the issue permanentl=
y.&nbsp; The screws are a different length so if you source these bowls be =
sure to get the screws, too.<br>
</font></div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style=3D"clear:both">
<div style=3D"color:black;font:12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style=3D"color:black;font:12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div><font size=3D"4">Dave <br>
</font></div>

<div><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;"><=
br>
</span></div>

<div><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;"><=
font size=3D"3"><font face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">71 TR6 with TR8=
 float bowls that will never leak.</font></font><br>
</span></div>
<br>
</div>
</div>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font=
 size=3D"2">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Fri, Dec 9, 2022 7:14 pm<br>
Subject: [TR] ZS Carbs leak<br>
<br>

<div id=3D"yiv7734284295">

=20
=20
<style><!--

#yiv7734284295 filtered {}
#yiv7734284295 filtered {}

#yiv7734284295 p.yiv7734284295MsoNormal, #yiv7734284295 li.yiv7734284295Mso=
Normal, #yiv7734284295 div.yiv7734284295MsoNormal
=09{margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}
#yiv7734284295 span.yiv7734284295EmailStyle17
=09{font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}
#yiv7734284295 .yiv7734284295MsoChpDefault
=09{font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}
#yiv7734284295 filtered {}
#yiv7734284295 div.yiv7734284295WordSection1
=09{}
--></style>

<div>

<div class=3D"yiv7734284295WordSection1">

<div class=3D"yiv7734284295MsoNormal">TR6 - The bottom of the carbs have ga=
s on them; I can feel it when I run my fingers along the bottom.</div>
=20

<div class=3D"yiv7734284295MsoNormal"> &nbsp;</div>
=20

<div class=3D"yiv7734284295MsoNormal">Replaced all the bottom stuff a few y=
ears ago.&nbsp; TR6 was driven from Dallas to Reno in April; no gas smell i=
n daughter=E2=80=99s garage in Reno.&nbsp; Was driven in May and August in =
Reno (see Hot August Nights!) but no smell.&nbsp; Was driven from Reno to
 Taos to Dallas; seems like that is when the problem started.</div>
=20

<div class=3D"yiv7734284295MsoNormal"> &nbsp;</div>
=20

<div class=3D"yiv7734284295MsoNormal">Any thoughts on where I should start?=
&nbsp; Its probably either the seal in the float chamber or the seal on the=
 very bottom?&nbsp; If I put a mirror down there what am I looking for?</di=
v>
=20

<div class=3D"yiv7734284295MsoNormal"> &nbsp;</div>
=20
</div>

</div>

</div>
** <a ymailto=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" href=3D"mailto:triumphs@au=
tox.team.net">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" target=3D"_blan=
k">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs </a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opti=
ons/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</font></div>
</div>

------=_Part_1707578_1917711030.1670643862010--

--===============5265600762235449617==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5265600762235449617==--

---

From: Paul Tegler <[email-masked]> mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.aol
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 23:24:09 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3020453659277442965==
 boundary="------------9gy70uE8kIeO0W0QzALwo1Va"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------9gy70uE8kIeO0W0QzALwo1Va
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

even amazon carries a variety of real BUNA rubber, and / or viton 
o-rings that can handle the ethanol in gas these days.
Just measure and order.

ptegler

On 12/9/2022 8:52 PM, Alex & Janet Thomson wrote:
>
> I had fuel leaking from the plastic plugs on the bottom of the carbs 
> on the GT6 MK lll that we used to own. The raw fuel would land right 
> on top of the starter. A call to Joe Curto resulted in a pair of 
> replacement O-Rings arriving in the mail. He mentioned that the rubber 
> used in standard O-Rings doesn’t hold up well with today’s gasoline. 
> That solved the problem for us.
>
> Alex Thomson
>
> ’73 TR6
>
> *From:*Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of 
> *dave northrup
> *Sent:* Friday, December 09, 2022 8:15 PM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [TR] ZS Carbs leak
>
> TR6 - The bottom of the carbs have gas on them; I can feel it when I 
> run my fingers along the bottom.
>
> Replaced all the bottom stuff a few years ago.  TR6 was driven from 
> Dallas to Reno in April; no gas smell in daughter’s garage in Reno.  
> Was driven in May and August in Reno (see Hot August Nights!) but no 
> smell.  Was driven from Reno to Taos to Dallas; seems like that is 
> when the problem started.
>
> Any thoughts on where I should start?  Its probably either the seal in 
> the float chamber or the seal on the very bottom?  If I put a mirror 
> down there what am I looking for?
>
>
> [email-masked]  **
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs   http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Paul Tegler
[email-masked]   www.teglerizer.com

--------------9gy70uE8kIeO0W0QzALwo1Va
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>even amazon carries a variety of real BUNA rubber, and / or viton
      o-rings that can handle the ethanol in gas these days.<br>
      Just measure and order.</p>
    <p>ptegler<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 12/9/2022 8:52 PM, Alex &amp; Janet
      Thomson wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 14 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style>@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D">I had fuel leaking
            from the plastic plugs on the bottom of the carbs on the GT6
            MK lll that we used to own. The raw fuel would land right on
            top of the starter. A call to Joe Curto resulted in a pair
            of replacement O-Rings arriving in the mail. He mentioned
            that the rubber used in standard O-Rings doesn’t hold up
            well with today’s gasoline. That solved the problem for us.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D">Alex Thomson<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D">’73 TR6<o:p></o:p></span></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
            style="font-size:12.0pt;color:#1F497D"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
        <div>
          <div style="border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF
            1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
            <p class="MsoNormal"><b><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">
                Triumphs [<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:[email-masked]">mailto:[email-masked]</a>] <b>On
                  Behalf Of </b>dave northrup<br>
                <b>Sent:</b> Friday, December 09, 2022 8:15 PM<br>
                <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
                <b>Subject:</b> [TR] ZS Carbs leak<o:p></o:p></span></p>
          </div>
        </div>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">TR6 - The bottom of the carbs have gas on
          them; I can feel it when I run my fingers along the bottom.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Replaced all the bottom stuff a few years
          ago.  TR6 was driven from Dallas to Reno in April; no gas
          smell in daughter’s garage in Reno.  Was driven in May and
          August in Reno (see Hot August Nights!) but no smell.  Was
          driven from Reno to Taos to Dallas; seems like that is when
          the problem started.<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Any thoughts on where I should start?  Its
          probably either the seal in the float chamber or the seal on
          the very bottom?  If I put a mirror down there what am I
          looking for?<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal"><o:p> </o:p></p>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Paul Tegler
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a></pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------9gy70uE8kIeO0W0QzALwo1Va--

--===============3020453659277442965==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3020453659277442965==--

---

From: Creig Houghtaling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 15:42:32 +0000

--===============8365384760837960888==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_SN6PR05MB4109EB6A82D0AE8D38AB1002EC1F9SN6PR05MB4109namp_"

--_000_SN6PR05MB4109EB6A82D0AE8D38AB1002EC1F9SN6PR05MB4109namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dave
Your leak is most likely from the plug at the bottom of your carburetor fue=
l reservoir. Or if it is an older car, you may have a jet adjuster protrudi=
ng through the bottom of your reservoir. In either case the O-rings can deg=
rade and begin leaking. Replacement O-rings can be bought online from any o=
f the Triumph vendors. Or locally from almost any auto parts store. Just ta=
ke the old O-ring in and match the size. They will have a box kit with all =
the sizes in it. Or. You can do like me and buy your own box kit and have a=
 lifetime supply that you will never deplete.
Another issue is the plugs in the bottom of the reservoir are plastic and v=
ery old by now. There are spring clips that hold the plug from dropping out=
. Frequently one or more of the clip arms can crack causing the retainer cl=
ip to be ineffective in holding the the plug securely in place. The fresh O=
-ring will hold the plug in place for a time. But with vibration can slip d=
own. If that's the case, push the plug back up into the reservoir and your =
leak will stop. Till it vibrates down again. Vendors used to sell new plugs=
. You may still be able to buy new plugs. But the solution I like best is t=
o epoxy the plug into the reservoir with JB Weld. Fixed forever.  Never lea=
k again! Later carburetors in TR7s finally eliminated the plugs with solid =
bottom reservoirs. In fact that's the solution I used for one TR6. I replac=
ed the reservoirs with solid bottom TR7 reservoirs.
Good luck.
Creig

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: dave northrup <[email-masked]>
Date: 12/9/22 7:32 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] ZS Carbs leak

TR6 - The bottom of the carbs have gas on them; I can feel it when I run my=
 fingers along the bottom.

Replaced all the bottom stuff a few years ago.  TR6 was driven from Dallas =
to Reno in April; no gas smell in daughter=92s garage in Reno.  Was driven =
in May and August in Reno (see Hot August Nights!) but no smell.  Was drive=
n from Reno to Taos to Dallas; seems like that is when the problem started.

Any thoughts on where I should start?  Its probably either the seal in the =
float chamber or the seal on the very bottom?  If I put a mirror down there=
 what am I looking for?

--_000_SN6PR05MB4109EB6A82D0AE8D38AB1002EC1F9SN6PR05MB4109namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
<style>
<!--
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math"}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri}
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext}
.MsoChpDefault
	{font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif}
@page WordSection1
	{margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in}
div.WordSection1
	{}
-->
</style>
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D"word-wrap:=
break-word">
<div dir=3D"auto">Dave&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Your leak is most likely from the plug at the bottom of y=
our carburetor fuel reservoir. Or if it is an older car, you may have a jet=
 adjuster protruding through the bottom of your reservoir. In either case t=
he O-rings can degrade and begin leaking.
 Replacement O-rings can be bought online from any of the Triumph vendors. =
Or locally from almost any auto parts store. Just take the old O-ring in an=
d match the size. They will have a box kit with all the sizes in it. Or. Yo=
u can do like me and buy your own
 box kit and have a lifetime supply that you will never deplete.&nbsp;</div=
<div dir=3D"auto">Another issue is the plugs in the bottom of the reservoir=
 are plastic and very old by now. There are spring clips that hold the plug=
 from dropping out. Frequently one or more of the clip arms can crack causi=
ng the retainer clip to be ineffective
 in holding the the plug securely in place. The fresh O-ring will hold the =
plug in place for a time. But with vibration can slip down. If that's the c=
ase, push the plug back up into the reservoir and your leak will stop. Till=
 it vibrates down again. Vendors
 used to sell new plugs. You may still be able to buy new plugs. But the so=
lution I like best is to epoxy the plug into the reservoir with JB Weld. Fi=
xed forever.&nbsp; Never leak again! Later carburetors in TR7s finally elim=
inated the plugs with solid bottom reservoirs.
 In fact that's the solution I used for one TR6. I replaced the reservoirs =
with solid bottom TR7 reservoirs.&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Good luck.&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Creig&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br>
</div>
<div id=3D"composer_signature" dir=3D"auto">
<div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-size:12px; color:#575757">Sent via the Sams=
ung Galaxy S9, an AT&amp;T 5G Evolution capable smartphone</div>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>-------- Original message --------</div>
<div>From: dave northrup &lt;[email-masked]&gt; </div>
<div>Date: 12/9/22 7:32 PM (GMT-06:00) </div>
<div>To: [email-masked] </div>
<div>Subject: [TR] ZS Carbs leak </div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">TR6 - The bottom of the carbs have gas on them; I ca=
n feel it when I run my fingers along the bottom.</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Replaced all the bottom stuff a few years ago.&nbsp;=
 TR6 was driven from Dallas to Reno in April; no gas smell in daughter=92s =
garage in Reno.&nbsp; Was driven in May and August in Reno (see Hot August =
Nights!) but no smell.&nbsp; Was driven from Reno to
 Taos to Dallas; seems like that is when the problem started.</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">Any thoughts on where I should start?&nbsp; Its prob=
ably either the seal in the float chamber or the seal on the very bottom?&n=
bsp; If I put a mirror down there what am I looking for?</p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">&nbsp;</p>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_SN6PR05MB4109EB6A82D0AE8D38AB1002EC1F9SN6PR05MB4109namp_--

--===============8365384760837960888==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8365384760837960888==--