Subject: [TR] TR4 axle problem, continued

From: "dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 19:51:56 -0600 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D6DE1C.1075BB50"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D6DE1C.1075BB50
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0002_01D6DE1C.1075BB50"

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01D6DE1C.1075BB50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

It is relatively easy to get an undamaged axle out of its vertical link, and
relatively easy to get to all that.  Remove a few bolts, add a few whacks
with a good sized hammer and it falls to the garage floor.

Note the attached picture - see the end of the axle?  There is supposed to
be about another (threaded) inch or so.

However, when you trash the axle (as in break it) that is a little harder.
A lot harder.  Even my 30 year old son did not have the hammer slinging
talent to break it free.

I was at a loss as to what to do when Tony Drews
(https://www.tonydrews.com/) who sold me the replacement axles, suggested I
use a "smokey wrench."  That's a euphemism for applying heat.  So I pulled
out my handy propane torch (every garage should have one) and went to work
burning off grease, etc.  Then I did my best imitation of my son, and after
a few good whacks it dropped to the garage floor.  Thank you Tony!!!

So now I'm on to installing those new axles in my very old TR4!

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01D6DE1C.1075BB50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>It is relatively easy to get =
an undamaged axle out of its vertical link, and relatively easy to get =
to all that.&nbsp; Remove a few bolts, add a few whacks with a good =
sized hammer and it falls to the garage floor.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Note the =
attached picture &#8211; see the end of the axle?&nbsp; There is =
supposed to be about another (threaded) inch or so.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>However, =
when you trash the axle (as in break it) that is a little harder.&nbsp; =
A lot harder.&nbsp; Even my 30 year old son did not have the hammer =
slinging talent to break it free.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I was at a =
loss as to what to do when Tony Drews (<a =
href=3D"https://www.tonydrews.com/">https://www.tonydrews.com/</a>) who =
sold me the replacement axles, suggested I use a &#8220;smokey =
wrench.&#8221;&nbsp; That&#8217;s a euphemism for applying heat.&nbsp; =
So I pulled out my handy propane torch (every garage should have one) =
and went to work burning off grease, etc.&nbsp; Then I did my best =
imitation of my son, and after a few good whacks it dropped to the =
garage floor.&nbsp; Thank you Tony!!!<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>So now =
I&#8217;m on to installing those new axles in my very old =
TR4!<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0002_01D6DE1C.1075BB50--

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D6DE1C.1075BB50
	name="20201229_140836.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="20201229_140836.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D6DE1C.1075BB50
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D6DE1C.1075BB50--