Subject: [TR] Timing cover crank seal oil leak

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 07:43:48 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============2913321506916968455==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_02EF_01D6DA91.AEAAF1C0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_02EF_01D6DA91.AEAAF1C0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I run a thin belt conversion and have an oil leak from the timing chain =
cover. New seal at rebuild 2 years ago. Leaked from initial startup but =
now getting worse. I know about speedy sleeves and might try that.=20

My question is this. Has anyone else experienced excessive leakage while =
using the thin belt conversion? The Moss instructions imply that the =
seal rides on the spacer installed behind the damper pulley.=20
Has anyone found a double lip seal replacement to the standard supplied =
seal and if yes do you have a reference P/N?

Thanks and Merry Christmas. The New Year has to be better than 2020.

JVV
------=_NextPart_000_02EF_01D6DA91.AEAAF1C0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: =
normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
animation-name: none; transition-property: none; font-variant-ligatures: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
face=3D"Segoe UI Historic"><FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11.3pt" =
color=3D#050505>I run a=20
thin belt conversion and have an oil leak from the timing chain cover. =
New seal=20
at rebuild 2 years ago. Leaked from initial startup but now getting =
worse. I=20
know about speedy sleeves and might try that. </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: =
normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
animation-name: none; transition-property: none; font-variant-ligatures: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
face=3D"Segoe UI Historic"><FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11.3pt"=20
color=3D#050505></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: =
normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
animation-name: none; transition-property: none; font-variant-ligatures: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
face=3D"Segoe UI Historic"><FONT style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11.3pt" =
color=3D#050505>My=20
question is this. Has anyone else experienced excessive leakage while =
using the=20
thin belt conversion? The Moss instructions imply that the seal rides on =
the=20
spacer installed behind the damper pulley. </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: =
normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
animation-name: none; transition-property: none; font-variant-ligatures: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#050505 face=3D"Segoe UI Historic">Has anyone found a double lip =
seal=20
replacement to the standard supplied seal and if yes do you have a =
reference=20
P/N?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: =
normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
animation-name: none; transition-property: none; font-variant-ligatures: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#050505 face=3D"Segoe UI Historic"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: =
normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
animation-name: none; transition-property: none; font-variant-ligatures: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#050505 face=3D"Segoe UI Historic">Thanks and Merry Christmas. =
The New Year=20
has to be better than 2020.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: =
normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
animation-name: none; transition-property: none; font-variant-ligatures: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#050505 face=3D"Segoe UI Historic"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: pre-wrap; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: =
normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
animation-name: none; transition-property: none; font-variant-ligatures: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#050505=20
face=3D"Segoe UI Historic">JVV</FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_02EF_01D6DA91.AEAAF1C0--

--===============2913321506916968455==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2913321506916968455==--

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 13:02:37 +0000 (UTC)

--===============6905573244592685048==
	boundary="----=_Part_2712565_1372036033.1608901357414"

------=_Part_2712565_1372036033.1608901357414
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 This is a TR4, right?=C2=A0 Pretty much the same on TR6.=C2=A0 The seal ri=
des on the spacer.=C2=A0 New spacers are much less money than a Speedi-Slee=
ve.=C2=A0 I put a new spacer on my TR6 when I replaced the timing chain and=
 it almost doesn't leak.=C2=A0 I think the finish on the spacer is not as s=
mooth as a Speedi-Sleeve so the seal doesn't seal up quite as tight.=C2=A0=
=20

Also consider that there is a path for oil to slip through between the spac=
er and the crankshaft itself.=C2=A0 A little Hylomar might help.
I guess us kids are up early on Christmas Day while the adults (wives) slee=
p in.=C2=A0 ;-)
Enjoy the season.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Van Vlack <[email-masked]>
To: FOT <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Sent: Fri, Dec 25, 2020 6:43 am
Subject: [TR] Timing cover crank seal oil leak

I run a thin belt conversion and have an oil leak from the timing chain cov=
er. New seal at rebuild 2 years ago. Leaked from initial startup but now ge=
tting worse. I know about speedy sleeves and might try that. =C2=A0My quest=
ion is this. Has anyone else experienced excessive leakage while using the =
thin belt conversion? The Moss instructions imply that the seal rides on th=
e spacer installed behind the damper pulley. Has anyone found a double lip =
seal replacement to the standard supplied seal and if yes do you have a ref=
erence P/N?=C2=A0Thanks and Merry Christmas. The New Year has to be better =
than 2020.=C2=A0JVV** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archiv=
e

[email-masked]

------=_Part_2712565_1372036033.1608901357414
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">This is a TR4, right?&nbsp; Pretty much the same on TR6.&nbsp; The seal rides on the spacer.&nbsp; New spacers are much less money than a Speedi-Sleeve.&nbsp; I put a new spacer on my TR6 when I replaced the timing chain and it almost doesn't leak.&nbsp; I think the finish on the spacer is not as smooth as a </font><font size="3">Speedi-Sleeve so the seal doesn't seal up quite as tight.&nbsp; <br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Also consider that there is a path for oil to slip through between the spacer and the crankshaft itself.&nbsp; A little Hylomar might help.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">I guess us kids are up early on Christmas Day while the adults (wives) sleep in.&nbsp; ;-)</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Enjoy the season.<br>
</font></div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Jerry Van Vlack &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: FOT &lt;[email-masked]&gt;; [email-masked]<br>
Sent: Fri, Dec 25, 2020 6:43 am<br>
Subject: [TR] Timing cover crank seal oil leak<br>
<br>

<div id="yiv4124354170">

<div dir="ltr">

<div dir="ltr">

<div style="FONT-SIZE:12pt;FONT-FAMILY:'Calibri';COLOR:#000000;">

<div style="WHITE-SPACE:pre-wrap;WORD-SPACING:0px;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;ORPHANS:2;WIDOWS:2;LETTER-SPACING:normal;BACKGROUND-COLOR:rgb(255,255,255);TEXT-INDENT:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;"><font face="Segoe UI Historic"><font style="FONT-SIZE:11.3pt;" color="#050505">I run a 
thin belt conversion and have an oil leak from the timing chain cover. New seal 
at rebuild 2 years ago. Leaked from initial startup but now getting worse. I 
know about speedy sleeves and might try that. </font></font></div>

<div style="WHITE-SPACE:pre-wrap;WORD-SPACING:0px;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;ORPHANS:2;WIDOWS:2;LETTER-SPACING:normal;BACKGROUND-COLOR:rgb(255,255,255);TEXT-INDENT:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;"><font face="Segoe UI Historic"><font style="FONT-SIZE:11.3pt;" color="#050505"></font></font>&nbsp;</div>

<div style="WHITE-SPACE:pre-wrap;WORD-SPACING:0px;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;ORPHANS:2;WIDOWS:2;LETTER-SPACING:normal;BACKGROUND-COLOR:rgb(255,255,255);TEXT-INDENT:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;"><font face="Segoe UI Historic"><font style="FONT-SIZE:11.3pt;" color="#050505">My 
question is this. Has anyone else experienced excessive leakage while using the 
thin belt conversion? The Moss instructions imply that the seal rides on the 
spacer installed behind the damper pulley. </font></font></div>

<div style="WHITE-SPACE:pre-wrap;WORD-SPACING:0px;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;ORPHANS:2;WIDOWS:2;LETTER-SPACING:normal;BACKGROUND-COLOR:rgb(255,255,255);TEXT-INDENT:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;"><font face="Segoe UI Historic" color="#050505">Has anyone found a double lip seal 
replacement to the standard supplied seal and if yes do you have a reference 
P/N?</font></div>

<div style="WHITE-SPACE:pre-wrap;WORD-SPACING:0px;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;ORPHANS:2;WIDOWS:2;LETTER-SPACING:normal;BACKGROUND-COLOR:rgb(255,255,255);TEXT-INDENT:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;"><font face="Segoe UI Historic" color="#050505"></font>&nbsp;</div>

<div style="WHITE-SPACE:pre-wrap;WORD-SPACING:0px;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;ORPHANS:2;WIDOWS:2;LETTER-SPACING:normal;BACKGROUND-COLOR:rgb(255,255,255);TEXT-INDENT:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;"><font face="Segoe UI Historic" color="#050505">Thanks and Merry Christmas. The New Year 
has to be better than 2020.</font></div>

<div style="WHITE-SPACE:pre-wrap;WORD-SPACING:0px;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;ORPHANS:2;WIDOWS:2;LETTER-SPACING:normal;BACKGROUND-COLOR:rgb(255,255,255);TEXT-INDENT:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;"><font face="Segoe UI Historic" color="#050505"></font>&nbsp;</div>

<div style="WHITE-SPACE:pre-wrap;WORD-SPACING:0px;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;ORPHANS:2;WIDOWS:2;LETTER-SPACING:normal;BACKGROUND-COLOR:rgb(255,255,255);TEXT-INDENT:0px;text-decoration-style:initial;text-decoration-color:initial;"><font face="Segoe UI Historic" color="#050505">JVV</font></div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
** <a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs </a> <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
</div>
</div>

------=_Part_2712565_1372036033.1608901357414--

--===============6905573244592685048==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6905573244592685048==--