Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 (split) steering box rebuild questions (Art McEwen)

From: "Kevin Beam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 16:59:50 -0400

Please understand that I am NOT trying to dissuade you from rebuilding your
steering box.  I am only providing my experience with Macy's Garage, Tipp
City, OH (near Dayton), https://macysgarage.com.  Macy's rebuilt our TR-3's
steering box when our car was recently restored.  
(Also, see https://macysgarage.com/stg-box-1.htm, TR2-3B Steering Box
Rebuild)
***
I have no financial interest with Macy's Garage and "your mileage may vary".
***
The proprietor, Mark Macy, [email-masked], responded to my initial
inquiry on 09/14/19 (so the price may have changed) with:
We do these all the time, over 200 to date, typically 2 per month for the
last 10 years or so. Box it up and ship it up here and we'll take care of
the rebuild for you. Be sure to wrap in plastic so that no residual fluid
will leak out and discolor the box. UPS etc. will get real excited about a
HazMat spill if they see the box start to change colors! Cost is a flat rate
7 hours ($532) labor plus parts as needed once we get inside. We do need the
drop arm and the lower mounting bracket (the big cast iron one) still
attached. We want to be the ones to re-torque the large nut on the bottom of
the rocker shaft. Turn around time is typically 7-10 days.
***
This is what was done/supplied to/for our steering box:
TR2/3 steering box overhaul, flat rate. Complete disassembly, clean and
inspect all internal components, sandblast and paint all external
components, install new rocker shaft bushing and ream to size, install new
seal and gaskets and install new worm gear onto steering shaft. Set column
pre-load by adjusting lower shim pack, and re-assemble complete unit.
Shim, .005 Inches   
Shim, .010 Inches   
Peg, Sector Shaft   
Anti Rattle Ring (One piece column only)
Washer, Locktab
Oil Seal, Steering  
Bushing   
Plug for 1/2" Hole  
Gasket, End Plate   
Gasket, Steering Box
Shop Supplies (small charge)
Return shipping of steering box, Handling & Insurance - (depends on distance
from Macy's)
***
While there is still a very small amount of "steering play", I am very
pleased with the rebuild and the vary large amount of play that was removed.
The person who restored the car indicated he would use Macy's again.  
***
Note: Macy's web site landing page currently reads in part, "Macy's Garage
will be closed from March 24 - April 30 as we comply with a State of Ohio
mandate to "Stay at Home" due to the Chinese Corona Virus Pandemic."
**
Good luck and be safe
--
Kevin Beam!

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive