Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3a split steering shaft bushing

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 14:56:26 -0700

I don't know what you mean by "unimproved" but I was not able to get
anything other than the felt bush to fit. I did use a piece of a leather
belt until I could get the felt one from TRF. 
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Art
McEwen
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 2:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Tr3a split steering shaft bushing

So any trick to inserting them into the shaft?  How tightly can I squeeze
them?  My current method is to use a hose clamp like a piston ring
compressor.  I bought the original style "unimproved" ones.

Thanks,

Art.
** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Art McEwen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:22:19 -0400

Hi Bob, 

No not the felt one the 2 bearing/bushings that go either side of the split.  Moss part 525-020 vs 525-021

https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr2-3-4/suspension-steering/steering/steering-tr2-3b

> On Apr 27, 2020, at 5:56 PM, Kinderlehrer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 15:33:28 -0700

Moss lists those as for TR2 thru TR6. I know they didn't work in my TR3A, at
least not for me. 
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Art McEwen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 3:22 PM
To: Kinderlehrer
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3a split steering shaft bushing

Hi Bob, 

No not the felt one the 2 bearing/bushings that go either side of the split.
Moss part 525-020 vs 525-021

https://mossmotors.com/triumph-tr2-3-4/suspension-steering/steering/steering
-tr2-3b

> anything other than the felt bush to fit. I did use a piece of a 
> leather belt until I could get the felt one from TRF.
> Bob
> 
> From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
> Art McEwen
> So any trick to inserting them into the shaft?  How tightly can I 
> squeeze them?  My current method is to use a hose clamp like a piston 
> ring compressor.  I bought the original style "unimproved" ones.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Art.

---

From: "andrew uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:39:23 -0400

I have never had any luck with those things.  If anyone has, please tell us
!!

Andrew Uprichard
Jackson, Michigan

-----Original Message-----
From: Art McEwen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 3:22 PM
To: Kinderlehrer
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] Tr3a split steering shaft bushing

Hi Bob, 

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 15:49:23 -0700

It's been awhile (they are only used in split column cars), but as I recall,
I squeezed just the ears with water pump pliers (similar to channel lock
pliers).  Had to start at the very edge and force just a bit into the
column, then take another "bite" and do it again.  Once the buttons were
roughly halfway into the column, I used a piece of pipe (or similar) to
drive them the rest of the way into position.

Not sure if they count as "improved" or not.  ISTR the ones I got (from TRF
probably) had only nylon and rubber, and did not have the third layer of
steel as the factory ones did.  But it's possible I'm thinking of the ones I
got for the Stag.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

> So any trick to inserting them into the shaft?  How tightly 
> can I squeeze them?  My current method is to use a hose clamp 
> like a piston ring compressor.  I bought the original style 
> "unimproved" ones.

---

From: Art McEwen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 21:53:03 -0400

It's rubber bonded to thin gauge metal with some sort plastic split ring inner liner.  I'm worried squeezing it will deform the inner 2 layers.  I'm wondering if freezing them will shrink them?

> On Apr 27, 2020, at 6:49 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: "Art McEwen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 09:15:32 -0400 (built Jul 9 2013)

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============2757378662147302531==
Content-Language: en

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

----1e57a96414060751a1b29
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I successfully put the 1st one in at a 45 degree angle so that one of the ears was below the edge of the shaft. I used a flat screwdriver to help the other ear get started inside the shaft then pressed/tapped it down with a piece of hardwood.

The upper shaft that's still in the car might be more awkward.

> > like a piston ring compressor. I bought the original style 

----1e57a96414060751a1b29
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I successfully put the 1st one in at a 45 degree angle so that one of th=
e ears was below the edge of the shaft=2E=A0 I used a flat screwdriver t=
o help the other ear get started inside the shaft then pressed/tapped it=
 down with a piece of hardwood=2E=3Cdiv=3E=3Cbr /=3E=3C/div=3E=3Cdiv=3ET=
he upper shaft that=27s still in the car might be more awkward=2E=3C/div=
=3E=3Cdiv=3E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cspan=3EOn 04/27/20=2C =3Cb class=3D=22=
name=22=3ERandall =3C/b=3E =26lt=3BTR3driver=40ca=2Err=2Ecom=26gt=3B wro=
te=3A=3C/span=3E=3Cblockquote cite=3D=22mid=3ABA2880F220554B8CB822D75167=
9B81FE=40RYPC=22 class=3D=22iwcQuote=22 style=3D=22border-left=3A 1px so=
lid =2300F=3B padding-left=3A 13px=3B margin-left=3A 0=3B=22 type=3D=22c=
ite=22=3E=3Cdiv class=3D=22mimepart text plain=22=3EIt=27s been awhile (=
they are only used in split column cars)=2C but as I recall=2C=3Cbr /=3E=
I squeezed just the ears with water pump pliers (similar to channel lock=
=3Cbr /=3Epliers)=2E=A0 Had to start at the very edge and force just a b=
it into the=3Cbr /=3Ecolumn=2C then take another =26quot=3Bbite=26quot=3B=
 and do it again=2E=A0 Once the buttons were=3Cbr /=3Eroughly halfway in=
to the column=2C I used a piece of pipe (or similar) to=3Cbr /=3Edrive t=
hem the rest of the way into position=2E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3ENot sure if =
they count as =26quot=3Bimproved=26quot=3B or not=2E=A0 ISTR the ones I =
got (from TRF=3Cbr /=3Eprobably) had only nylon and rubber=2C and did no=
t have the third layer of=3Cbr /=3Esteel as the factory ones did=2E=A0 B=
ut it=27s possible I=27m thinking of the ones I=3Cbr /=3Egot for the Sta=
g=2E=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3E-- Randall =3Cbr /=3E56 TR3 TS13571L once and fu=
ture daily driver=3Cbr /=3E71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild=3Cbr=
 /=3E71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild =3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3E=26gt=3B=
 So any trick to inserting them into the shaft=3F=A0 How tightly =3Cbr /=
=3E=26gt=3B can I squeeze them=3F=A0 My current method is to use a hose =
clamp =3Cbr /=3E=26gt=3B like a piston ring compressor=2E=A0 I bought th=
e original style =3Cbr /=3E=26gt=3B =26quot=3Bunimproved=26quot=3B ones=2E=
=3Cbr /=3E=3Cbr /=3E=3C/div=3E=3C/blockquote=3E=3C/div=3E

----1e57a96414060751a1b29--

--===============2757378662147302531==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2757378662147302531==--