Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 12, Issue 139

From: "Frank Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 13:31:20 -0500

Hi David,

To take the guesswork out of it, get a mechanics stethoscope and see if you
can isolate where the noise is coming from; top end, bottom end, etc.  A
large screwdriver works well also.  Put the tip of the blade against the
engine, and the end of the handle against your ear.  But, BE EXTREMELY
CAREFUL around a running engine and be aware of exactly where the
screwdriver or stethoscope is (and your body) in relation to rotating parts
like the fan blades, etc.  also be aware of loose clothing, tuck in shirt,
etc.  Not worth getting a serious injury.  A good mechanic ought to be able
to isolate it for you if you're not comfortable attempting it.

With the stethoscope or screwdriver against the rocker box you can determine
or isolate the top end and can actually identify which exact cylinder the
sound is coming from or not.  Same with middle of block for rod end bearing
or bottom of block for main bearing.

The only knock I've personally had was on my AH 3000 and it was a bad
lifter, which sounded much deeper than this knock.  One I've heard recently
on a video that sounded horrible was actually from a dent in the oil pan
that the crank slapped against.

Don't assume the worst; could be something simple and you should be able to
isolate it with the right tool and a good ear.  

Good luck,
Frank

<Message: 1
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 03:33:11 +0000
From: David Templeton <[email-masked]>
To: "'Triumphs@Autox Team. Net'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] What is the knock?
Message-ID:
	
<[email-masked]
OOK.COM>

I ran the ?3 for about 60miles today.  On returning home and running at idle
I noticed a knock.  I hear in the video here

https://youtu.be/fv21IunuojQ

I am now scared ?  please tell me something is not going to blow after all
this work?

David>

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Anthony Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 19:00:25 -0400

Wow, what an interesting syncopated beat that knock has.  It seems to have  a hollow tone.  Like striking a wooden box.  

I might have expected a more metallic sound from a rod bearing but it could be almost anything. 

Could "mechanics stethoscope" help?

-Tony

Sent from my 1837 Babbage Analytical Engine

> On Jun 23, 2019, at 2:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Message: 1
> Subject: m?
>    <[email-masked]>
>    
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> I ran the ?3 for about 60miles today.  On returning home and running at idle I noticed a knock.  I hear in the video here
> 
> I am now scared ?  please tell me something is not going to blow after all this work?
> 
> David

---

From: David Templeton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 23:20:32 +0000

Exactly!! It is not rotational speed, much slower than that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Rhodes <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2019 7:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: David Templeton <[email-masked]>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - Re: [TR] What is the knock

-Tony

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_fv21IunuojQ&d=DwIFAg&c=ZgVRmm3mf2P1-XDAyDsu4A&r=346MKQty4J9yevdUa9Fj_cT53y_74TwSRM-I7J2SFzs&m=nV7bmpBr3polEImUxmusDu3GNa8k65uTL426hKXX3Nk&s=QgIfT-1NSqxvOQ0KP1E9WayFQ2zhq0nnlwukEsdldnw&e= 
>