Subject: [TR] Disclaimer: I AM checking The Triump Experience histories....

From: TERRY SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 19:02:47 -0400 (EDT)

--===============8248008479403989688==
	boundary="----=_Part_444548_494674878.1561849368482"

------=_Part_444548_494674878.1561849368482
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

...but, for the sake of discussion. 

I've swapped out the electronic ignition for the old points set up.  First time on start up, the engine overheated.  On checking timing with a timing light, I've found the timing to be way too retarded.  I advanced the vacuum knob as far as it would go without hitting my mark.  I've since used the book process for static timing, pivoting the dizzy at TDC to where the points just begin to open.  I've painted the TDC hole on the pulley (which is accurate), and painted 1/4 inch advance, then adjusted the vacuum advance to 4 degrees advance.  I haven't checked if the heating persists.  I kinda think this will solve the problem, but I must confess, as ever, I was an English major and every time I think I've solved something, ...well, I can only be grateful I am a humble man.  ...Or at least I would be if I weren't so awesome.

Question is, though, what the heck?  Swapping electronic ignition for points can cause such a huge timing differential?  ...Or am I all-muddled?????

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire 

------=_Part_444548_494674878.1561849368482
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html><head>
    <meta charset=3D"UTF-8">
</head><body><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans=
-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">...but, for the sake of discussion.&#160; =
<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-seri=
f; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-famil=
y: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">I&#39;ve swapped ou=
t the electronic ignition for the old points set up.&#160; First time on st=
art up, the engine overheated.&#160; On checking timing with a timing light=
, I&#39;ve found the timing to be way too retarded.&#160; I advanced the va=
cuum knob as far as it would go without hitting my mark.&#160; I&#39;ve sin=
ce used the book process for static timing, pivoting the dizzy at TDC to wh=
ere the points just begin to open.&#160; I&#39;ve painted the TDC hole on t=
he pulley (which is accurate), and painted 1/4 inch advance, then adjusted =
the vacuum advance to 4 degrees advance.&#160; I haven&#39;t checked if the=
 heating persists.&#160; I kinda think this will solve the problem, but I m=
ust confess, as ever, I was an English major and every time I think I&#39;v=
e solved something, ...well, I can only be grateful I am a humble man.&#160=
; ...Or at least I would be if I weren&#39;t so awesome.<br></p><p style=3D=
"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 5=
1, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,=
sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Question is, though, what the heck?&#1=
60; Swapping electronic ignition for points can cause such a huge timing di=
fferential?&#160; ...Or am I all-muddled?????<br></p><p style=3D"font-size:=
 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><b=
r></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif;=
 color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Terry Smith, &#39;59 TR3A<br></p><p style=3D"font=
-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51=
);">New Hampshire&#160; <br></p></body></html>
=20
------=_Part_444548_494674878.1561849368482--

--===============8248008479403989688==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============8248008479403989688==--