Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Starter question

From: "dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 20:56:29 -0600

There is an absolutely fabulous rebuilding shop here in Dallas - 
Advanced Starter Service  
Alternator supplier in Dallas, Texas
Address: 2711 Irving Blvd, Dallas, TX 75207
Phone: (214) 688-0280

I just got another starter rebuilt there.  Fast turnaround and very affordable.  The previous car was a 63 Buick; this is for a 59 TR3a

The previous starter just didn't work.  Now it works great.

This one (different starter, different car) it turned the engine over without plugs but once you put the plugs in it didn't work so well.  Am looking forward to a great cranking engine after I pick it up tomorrow (their usual service is one day!!!)

IF you are going for originality, this is the way to go.

Otherwise, pretty common wisdom is to go gear reduction.  It’s a little tricky swapping in a gear reduction starter with the built in solenoid to a car that has the "2 piece" system, but not that hard.  I did it on my early TR4.  And I still have the luxury of under the hood engine cranking!

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Jim Henningsen
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 6:55 PM
To: 'triumphs' <[email-masked]>
Subject: [TR] TR4 Starter question

I know my starter needs some attention, but curious what the specific issue is before deciding to rebuild it or put in a new gear reduction unit.  1962
TR4 CT 5212LO.  When I turn the key it cranks for a bit and then makes a hum and stops cranking.  Turn key off and try again and same.  I can get it to start each time but something is wrong.  Any thoughts on what is going on?
Anyone have luck with local starter shops rebuilding.  Can't imagine there are too many parts available to them for these units.  
Thanks,
Jim Henningsen
Ocala FL
61 TR3A
62 TR4
75 TR6
82 CJ8

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

** [email-masked] **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 21:32:15 -0600

I haven't asked recently, but a few years back my independent FLAPS (Long
Beach, CA) assured me they could get any Lucas starter rebuilt.  They have
to have a complete core, and it takes a few days to a week.  IIRC the price
was very favorable, compared to a new one.

Apparently, the fellow that does them will not deal directly with the
public.  But when I asked for a special nut (for my Japanese alternator),
through the FLAPS of course, he gave it to me for nothing.

Also, someone posted just today on another forum that they got their old
starter repaired in Dallas TX.

Sorry, I've no idea about the hum.  But it's been my experience that it's
usually pretty obvious when you get it apart.

-- Randall

---

From: "Joel E. Justin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 22:17:24 +0000

--===============2636633258548538824==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BYAPR06MB3845DFF130BA9880FD3B8E90BE980BYAPR06MB3845namp_"

--_000_BYAPR06MB3845DFF130BA9880FD3B8E90BE980BYAPR06MB3845namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I'm guessing the hum is the starter motor turning without the gears engaged=
. While it could be a starter problem, it could also be a worn or broken ri=
ng gear. I don't know where you live, but there's another good, rebuild on-=
site, place in Oxnard called The Rebuilding Factory. I believe they will ex=
change for your core or if you are willing to wait, they will rebuild and r=
eturn yours. You can drop it off or mail it in. Their website has lots of i=
nfo on the how's, why's, their process and FAQs. Check it out at:

http://rebuildingfactory.com/

Joel...

________________________________
From: Jim Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2019 4:55 PM
To: 'triumphs'
Subject: [TR] TR4 Starter question

I know my starter needs some attention, but curious what the specific issue
is before deciding to rebuild it or put in a new gear reduction unit.  1962
TR4 CT 5212LO.  When I turn the key it cranks for a bit and then makes a hu=
m
and stops cranking.  Turn key off and try again and same.  I can get it to
start each time but something is wrong.  Any thoughts on what is going on?
Anyone have luck with local starter shops rebuilding.  Can't imagine there
are too many parts available to them for these units.
Thanks,
Jim Henningsen
Ocala FL
61 TR3A
62 TR4
75 TR6
82 CJ8

--_000_BYAPR06MB3845DFF130BA9880FD3B8E90BE980BYAPR06MB3845namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
I'm guessing the hum is the starter motor turning without the gears engaged=
. While it could be a starter problem, it could also be a worn or broken ri=
ng gear. I don't know where you live, but there's another good, rebuild on-=
site, place in Oxnard called The
 Rebuilding Factory. I believe they will exchange for your core or if you a=
re willing to wait, they will rebuild and return yours. You can drop it off=
 or mail it in. Their website has lots of info on the how's, why's, their p=
rocess and FAQs. Check it out at:</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<a href=3D"http://rebuildingfactory.com/">http://rebuildingfactory.com/</a>=
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
Joel...</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
</div>
<div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:14pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" co=
lor=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b> Jim Henningsen &lt;tr=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Monday, January 21, 2019 4:55 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> 'triumphs'<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [TR] TR4 Starter question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"BodyFragment"><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt"=
<div class=3D"PlainText">I know my starter needs some attention, but curiou=
s what the specific issue<br>
is before deciding to rebuild it or put in a new gear reduction unit.&nbsp;=
 1962<br>
TR4 CT 5212LO.&nbsp; When I turn the key it cranks for a bit and then makes=
 a hum<br>
and stops cranking.&nbsp; Turn key off and try again and same.&nbsp; I can =
get it to<br>
start each time but something is wrong.&nbsp; Any thoughts on what is going=
 on?<br>
Anyone have luck with local starter shops rebuilding.&nbsp; Can't imagine t=
here<br>
are too many parts available to them for these units.&nbsp; <br>
Thanks,<br>
Jim Henningsen<br>
Ocala FL <br>
61 TR3A<br>
62 TR4<br>
75 TR6<br>
82 CJ8<br>
<br>
<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BYAPR06MB3845DFF130BA9880FD3B8E90BE980BYAPR06MB3845namp_--

--===============2636633258548538824==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2636633258548538824==--