Subject: Re: [TR] making the mating surface of an oil pan flat

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 08:40:14 -0700

--===============2033208771423312073==

--000000000000ed99e6057ff9ad8b

I used a body hammer and dolly - was pretty easy to get them flat again.
IMO a hammer blow is much more effective than a tightening bolt will be.

After that I installed the gasket to the pan using RTV and set the whole
works gasket-down on a sheet of glass.  The result was a sealed gasket with
a very flat surface to present to the machined bottom of the block.  A
non-hardening sealer (e.g. Hylomar) will then work with that.  With a bit
of care the gasket will stay with the pan upon removal and can be re-used.

Geo

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:16 AM Sujit Roy <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   The PO put gallons of sealer around the pan/ sump and over tightened all
> the bolts. They are all raises and .if  I put a flat rule between holes, I
> can notice at least 1 or more mm gap.
>
> I am thinking of using a nut and bolt with a few washers to hopefully make
> the bolts holes flat again. Are there any other good simpler ways to do
> this. I don't want to hammer them as I think I will do more damage.
>
> Sujit
>
> --
> Sujit Roy
> Cupertino, California
>
> https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--000000000000ed99e6057ff9ad8b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I used a body hammer and dolly - was pretty easy to get th=
em flat again.=C2=A0 IMO a hammer blow is much more effective than a tighte=
ning bolt will be.<div><br></div><div>After that I installed the gasket to =
the pan using RTV and set the whole works gasket-down on a sheet of glass.=
=C2=A0 The result was a sealed gasket with a very flat surface to present t=
o the machined bottom of the block.=C2=A0 A non-hardening sealer (e.g. Hylo=
mar) will then work with that.=C2=A0 With a bit of care the gasket will sta=
y with the pan upon removal and can be re-used.</div><div><br></div><div>Ge=
o</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail=
_attr">On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:16 AM Sujit Roy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tri=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquo=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px =
solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">=C2=A0 The PO put=
 gallons of sealer around the pan/ sump and over tightened all the bolts. T=
hey are all raises and .if=C2=A0 I put a flat rule between holes, I=C2=A0 c=
an notice at least 1 or more mm gap.<br><br>I am thinking of using a nut an=
d bolt with a few washers to hopefully make the bolts holes flat again. Are=
 there any other good simpler ways to do this. I don&#39;t want to hammer t=
hem as I think I will do more damage.<br><br>Sujit=C2=A0=C2=A0<br clear=3D"=
all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail-m_-5275220951000=
333500gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Sujit Roy<br>Cupertino, Califo=
rnia</div><div><br><a href=3D"https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/" targe=
t=3D"_blank">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><br><br></div></div>=
</div></div>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">triumphs@au=
tox.team.net</a> **<br>
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=C2=A0 <a h=
ref=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000ed99e6057ff9ad8b--

--===============2033208771423312073==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2033208771423312073==--

---

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:57:38 -0500

--===============6778106591346614967==

--0000000000005725b6057ff9ec2f

i used a hammer, drift and steel block as an anvil.  i have a nice round
drift the size of the washer and hammer on that.

Sent from my TRASH-80

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019, 2:07 AM Sujit Roy <[email-masked] wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--0000000000005725b6057ff9ec2f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">i used a hammer, drift and steel block as an anvil.=C2=A0=
 i have a nice round drift the size of the washer and hammer on that.<br><b=
r><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">Sent from my TRASH-80</div></div>=
<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Mon, Jan 21, 2019, 2:07 =
AM Sujit Roy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">triumphstag@gmail=
.com</a> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:=
0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">=
=C2=A0 The PO put gallons of sealer around the pan/ sump and over tightened=
 all the bolts. They are all raises and .if=C2=A0 I put a flat rule between=
 holes, I=C2=A0 can notice at least 1 or more mm gap.<br><br>I am thinking =
of using a nut and bolt with a few washers to hopefully make the bolts hole=
s flat again. Are there any other good simpler ways to do this. I don&#39;t=
 want to hammer them as I think I will do more damage.<br><br>Sujit=C2=A0=
=C2=A0<br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"m_2=
282625549956160203gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div =
dir=3D"ltr"><div>Sujit Roy<br>Cupertino, California</div><div><br><a href=
=3D"https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefe=
rrer">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><br><br></div></div></div><=
/div>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=
=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000005725b6057ff9ec2f--

--===============6778106591346614967==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6778106591346614967==--

---

From: David Templeton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 21:18:26 +0000

--===============8828047064572439346==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_YTXPR0101MB217418FDC96592CEC866B616B69F0YTXPR0101MB2174_"

--_000_YTXPR0101MB217418FDC96592CEC866B616B69F0YTXPR0101MB2174_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_YTXPR0101MB217418FDC96592CEC866B616B69F0YTXPR0101MB2174_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_YTXPR0101MB217418FDC96592CEC866B616B69F0YTXPR0101MB2174_--

--===============8828047064572439346==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8828047064572439346==--

---

From: Paul Tegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 21:07:10 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0334646059446068587==
 boundary="------------FEB6773278169349D10E2BC2"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------FEB6773278169349D10E2BC2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

ditto on the attachment process, has worked well for years...valve cover 
process similar

ptegler

On 1/21/2019 10:40 AM, Geo Hahn wrote:
> I used a body hammer and dolly - was pretty easy to get them flat 
> again.  IMO a hammer blow is much more effective than a tightening 
> bolt will be.
>
> After that I installed the gasket to the pan using RTV and set the 
> whole works gasket-down on a sheet of glass.  The result was a sealed 
> gasket with a very flat surface to present to the machined bottom of 
> the block.  A non-hardening sealer (e.g. Hylomar) will then work with 
> that.  With a bit of care the gasket will stay with the pan upon 
> removal and can be re-used.
>
> Geo
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:16 AM Sujit Roy <[email-masked] 
>
>       The PO put gallons of sealer around the pan/ sump and over
>     tightened all the bolts. They are all raises and .if  I put a flat
>     rule between holes, I  can notice at least 1 or more mm gap.
>
>     I am thinking of using a nut and bolt with a few washers to
>     hopefully make the bolts holes flat again. Are there any other
>     good simpler ways to do this. I don't want to hammer them as I
>     think I will do more damage.
>
>     Sujit
>
>     -- 
>     Sujit Roy
>     Cupertino, California
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Paul Tegler
[email-masked]  www.teglerizer.com

--------------FEB6773278169349D10E2BC2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>ditto on the attachment process, has worked well for
      years...valve cover process similar</p>
    <p>ptegler<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/21/2019 10:40 AM, Geo Hahn wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">I used a body hammer and dolly - was pretty easy to
        get them flat again.  IMO a hammer blow is much more effective
        than a tightening bolt will be.
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>After that I installed the gasket to the pan using RTV and
          set the whole works gasket-down on a sheet of glass.  The
          result was a sealed gasket with a very flat surface to present
          to the machined bottom of the block.  A non-hardening sealer
          (e.g. Hylomar) will then work with that.  With a bit of care
          the gasket will stay with the pan upon removal and can be
          re-used.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Geo</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:16
          AM Sujit Roy &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
          <div dir="ltr">  The PO put gallons of sealer around the pan/
            sump and over tightened all the bolts. They are all raises
            and .if  I put a flat rule between holes, I  can notice at
            least 1 or more mm gap.<br>
            <br>
            I am thinking of using a nut and bolt with a few washers to
            hopefully make the bolts holes flat again. Are there any
            other good simpler ways to do this. I don't want to hammer
            them as I think I will do more damage.<br>
            <br>
            Sujit  <br clear="all">
            <div><br>
            </div>
            -- <br>
            <div dir="ltr"
              class="gmail-m_-5275220951000333500gmail_signature">
              <div dir="ltr">
                <div>Sujit Roy<br>
                  Cupertino, California</div>
                <div><br>
                  <a href="https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><br>
                  <br>
                </div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
          ** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
          <br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> 
          <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" rel="noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Paul Tegler
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a></pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------FEB6773278169349D10E2BC2--

--===============0334646059446068587==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0334646059446068587==--