Subject: [TR] Wire Wheel Paint: one last question

From: TERRY SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 16:29:10 -0500 (EST)

--===============7836980576648026176==
	boundary="----=_Part_1133182_913140371.1548538150833"

------=_Part_1133182_913140371.1548538150833
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

All right.  I've done the research on the Triumph Experience website and elsewhere, including a post from myself in 2009 and another from 2006!  Gadfrey.  What I'm after this time is a bit more chip resistance.

Powder Coating researches to be $250 or more. Too expensive for me.

In terms of color, looks like Argent Silver is the color for wire wheels.  I'll be sandblasting, then applying phosphoric acid over all to ensure treating any trouble spots, then priming and color painting with rattle cans, then top coating with clear coat.

Am looking all over for reviews of the best rattle can paint.  Several complaints that Duplicolor runs or is too rough a finish, with the sweet spot holding the can from the wheel very difficult to attain.  Amazon very slightly shows preference for VHT Ford Argent Silver, but I can't find a comparison that includes Eastwood Ralley Wheel Paint.

Anybody experience Eastwood wheel paint's resistance to chipping relative to competitors?

As ever, thank you, everyone.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hamsphire

------=_Part_1133182_913140371.1548538150833
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html><head>
    <meta charset=3D"UTF-8">
</head><body><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sa=
ns-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">All right.&#160; I&#39;ve done the resea=
rch on the Triumph Experience website and elsewhere, including a post from =
myself in 2009 and another from 2006!&#160; Gadfrey.&#160; What I&#39;m aft=
er this time is a bit more chip resistance.<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 1=
2pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><b=
r></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-seri=
f; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Powder Coating researches to be $250 or more. T=
oo expensive for me.<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helve=
tica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-=
size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 5=
1);">In terms of color, looks like Argent Silver is the color for wire whee=
ls.&#160; I&#39;ll be sandblasting, then applying phosphoric acid over all =
to ensure treating any trouble spots, then priming and color painting with =
rattle cans, then top coating with clear coat.<br></p><p style=3D"font-size=
: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"=
><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-s=
erif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Am looking all over for reviews of the best =
rattle can paint.&#160; Several complaints that Duplicolor runs or is too r=
ough a finish, with the sweet spot holding the can from the wheel very diff=
icult to attain.&#160; Amazon very slightly shows preference for VHT Ford A=
rgent Silver, but I can&#39;t find a comparison that includes Eastwood Rall=
ey Wheel Paint. <br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica=
, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size=
: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"=
>Anybody experience Eastwood wheel paint&#39;s resistance to chipping relat=
ive to competitors?<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvet=
ica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-s=
ize: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51=
);">As ever, thank you, everyone.<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-=
family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p s=
tyle=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: =
rgb(51, 51, 51);">Terry Smith, &#39;59 TR3A<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 1=
2pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Ne=
w Hamsphire<br></p></body></html>
=20
------=_Part_1133182_913140371.1548538150833--

--===============7836980576648026176==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7836980576648026176==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 2:41:33 -0500

Over the years I have painted a few sets of wire wheels with Rust Oleum paint.  Their rusty metal primer followed by topcoat, I think the color is called "Aluminum" If you are a stickler for originality it is brighter OEM.

Some of the wheels started out pretty nasty, did not rust through or have chip or flake issues.

Greg Lemon
TR250