Subject: Re: [TR] Voltage Regulator

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 06:46:15 -0600

I worked out a few tests, but some of them involve having a variable DC
power supply on the bench.  (No, a battery charger will not do unless you
have parts and know-how to build a simple variable supply from it.)

With just a DMM available, I would:

1) On Ohms x1 scale, short the leads together and note the reading.
Subtract this value (typically around 0.7 ohms) from the other readings.

1) Check resistance between terminals D and F.  Should be less than 1 ohm.
If not, the problem is very likely burned contacts, so clean them, set the
gaps, and try again.

2) Hold down the armature on the regulator relay (the one with the adjusting
screw for the upper contact) and recheck resistance between D and F.  (If
you need both hands to check the resistance, you can slip a piece of paper
into the contacts instead of holding the armature.) Should be around 63
ohms.  Release armature (or remove paper), check that resistance reliably
goes back to around 0.

3) Check resistance between A and A1.  Should be very close to 0.0 (after
subtracting the offset mentioned in step 1).

4) Set meter to highest resistance range available, check resistance between
D and A1. Should be over 20 megohms, which exceeds the range of most meters,
so you will see the maximum reading or sometimes "E" or similar.

5) Set meter back to x1, connect it between D and A1, then hold the cutout
relay closed.  Resistance should drop to very close to 0.

If you do have that variable DC power supply, connect it between D and E. 

6) Start with voltage set below 8 volts and slowly increase it.  The cutout
relay should move (contacts close) between 12.7 and 13.3 volts.  Continue to
increase, the regulator relay should move (contacts open) around 16 volts.

7) Now slowly lower the voltage, the regulator should close before 14 volts
or so (this value isn't specified in the book).  The cutout should open
between 10 and 8.5 volts.

These tests are NOT a substitute for checking the regulated voltage when
operating with a generator (on the car); but they do functionally test each
part of the control box.

-- Randall  

> I have one of those old voltage regulators out of a TR3 
> sitting on my bench.  Anyone know how to test it?
> 
> 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David P <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 07:58:57 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0500828238123244198==
 boundary="------------036CE9A918A1F46630E4ED0E"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------036CE9A918A1F46630E4ED0E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Moss also has a youtube video for checking... 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJNCigb0uA

DaveP

On 1/19/2019 5:46 AM, Randall wrote:
> [email-masked]  **
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs   http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>
-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

--------------036CE9A918A1F46630E4ED0E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>Moss also has a youtube video for checking...
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJNCigb0uA">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJNCigb0uA</a></p>
    <p>DaveP<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/19/2019 5:46 AM, Randall wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:A5AD2CACD7D04D80B518BD5601CD0361@LAPTOPM3GPCDH8">
      <div class="moz-text-plain" wrap="true" graphical-quote="true"
        style="font-family: -moz-fixed; font-size: 14px;"
        lang="x-western">
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">I worked out a few tests, but some of them involve having a variable DC
power supply on the bench.  (No, a battery charger will not do unless you
have parts and know-how to build a simple variable supply from it.)

-- Randall  

</pre>
        <blockquote type="cite" style="color: #000000;">
          <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">I have one of those old voltage regulators out of a TR3 
sitting on my bench.  Anyone know how to test it?

</pre>
        </blockquote>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/">WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>
  <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png" alt=""  width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avg.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--------------036CE9A918A1F46630E4ED0E--

--===============0500828238123244198==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0500828238123244198==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 11:51:10 -0600

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJNCigb0uA

Simplified beyond uselessness, IMO.  The only directions I could find for
testing the control box (which are in another video, not the link above)
amount to "Test the generator first.  If it's good but doesn't charge, the
problem must be the control box or the wiring."

And unless you have a generator and a way to turn it at speed on your bench,
it says nothing about testing on the bench.

-- Randall

---

From: "Joel E. Justin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 02:55:32 +0000

--_004_BYAPR06MB3845FF1D6540D26A807C5860BE9E0BYAPR06MB3845namp_
	boundary="_000_BYAPR06MB3845FF1D6540D26A807C5860BE9E0BYAPR06MB3845namp_"

--_000_BYAPR06MB3845FF1D6540D26A807C5860BE9E0BYAPR06MB3845namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I don't know if I can send attachments, but I'll try. Here's the Lucas "Gen=
erator and Control Box Tests" booklet that should help you troubleshoot you=
r problem.

Joel...

From: dave <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2019 2:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] Voltage Regulator

I have one of those old voltage regulators out of a TR3 sitting on my bench=
.  Anyone know how to test it?

--_000_BYAPR06MB3845FF1D6540D26A807C5860BE9E0BYAPR06MB3845namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
<meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72">
<div class=3D"WordSection1">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:14.0pt">I don&#8217;t know =
if I can send attachments, but I&#8217;ll try. Here&#8217;s the Lucas &#822=
0;Generator and Control Box Tests&#8221; booklet that should help you troub=
leshoot your problem.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:14.0pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></=
span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:14.0pt">Joel&#8230;<o:p></o=
:p></span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:14.0pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></=
span></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:14.0pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></=
span></p>
<div>
<div style=3D"border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in">
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><b>From:</b> dave &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <br>
<b>Sent:</b> Friday, January 18, 2019 2:40 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [TR] Voltage Regulator<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<p class=3D"MsoNormal">I have one of those old voltage regulators out of a =
TR3 sitting on my bench.&nbsp; Anyone know how to test it?<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BYAPR06MB3845FF1D6540D26A807C5860BE9E0BYAPR06MB3845namp_--

--_004_BYAPR06MB3845FF1D6540D26A807C5860BE9E0BYAPR06MB3845namp_
	name="Lucas Generator and Control Box Tests.pdf"
Content-Description: Lucas Generator and Control Box Tests.pdf
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Lucas Generator and Control Box Tests.pdf"; size=1152551;
	creation-date="Sun, 20 Jan 2019 02:55:17 GMT";
	modification-date="Sun, 20 Jan 2019 02:55:31 GMT"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_004_BYAPR06MB3845FF1D6540D26A807C5860BE9E0BYAPR06MB3845namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--_004_BYAPR06MB3845FF1D6540D26A807C5860BE9E0BYAPR06MB3845namp_--