Subject: Re: [TR] New TR-3 starters

From: "Ron L'Herault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 10:45:32 -0500

I had mine rebuilt, granted, that was in 1968 or '69 but if you have an
automotive electrical rebuilding company in your area, and they have been
around a while, they should be able to just rebuild it, right?.  Which
brings me to the question, "What's involved in a starter rebuild?"   I'm
guessing its brushes and bearings.

Ron L

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 22:20:33 -0500
From: Robin Watson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] TR3A STARTER
Message-ID:
	<[email-masked]>

I need a new starter for the 1960 TR3A that I am restoring and see that
Rareelectrical sell one. Has anyone tried this brand.
Robin

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 08:39:02 -0600

> Which

Depends a lot on what's wrong with it.  Brushes, springs, bearings and
skimming/polishing the commutator would be the absolute minimum; but the
drive can also need attention, or the field coils.  Drive failures are
particularly common with the earlier style TR3 starter (but I don't think
anyone makes the "failsafe" coupling any more).  The power stud is also
damaged sometimes and should be replaced if necessary.  (Watch out, the
replacement may be different threads than original.)  Armature should be
tested in several different ways (including shaft runout) and repaired or
replaced as necessary.

Oh yeah, lubricate, clean and paint.  Test free-running current, plus torque
and current with the rotor locked.

There's probably more, that's just what I can think of offhand.

FWIW, my independent FLAPS has a service where they can send out unusual
starters (as well as other components like generators, clutches,
distributors, etc) to be rebuilt.  Turnaround runs a few days to a few
weeks, and I've always been happy with the result.  They don't keep TR3
parts on the shelf, of course, and the kid at the counter may not know (or
think to offer) that they can have yours rebuilt.  But you might ask, maybe
yours can too.

Seems like the rebuilders (the few that are left) don't like dealing with
the public.  Given what I've seen hanging around friend's shops; I don't
blame them!

-- Randall

---

From: "Ron L'Herault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 10:11:38 -0500

The nice thing about TR-3's and starters is that if your starter needs to be
rebuilt/replaced, you can at least use the crank to start the car.  I did
that when mine was out for rebuild.  There were a few curious onlookers in
my college's parking lot when I went out to start it after class.  It
started right up, on one pull if I remember correctly.

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2019 9:39 AM
To: 'Ron L'Herault'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [TR] New TR-3 starters

> guessing its brushes and bearings.

Depends a lot on what's wrong with it.  <snip>

---

From: "dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 10:21:42 -0600

If you are not original minded, I believe the common wisdom is that its
better to go with a high torque starter.

There is a company here in dallas that does rebuilds - Advanced Starter
Service;  2711 Irving Blvd, Dallas, TX 75207, (214) 688-0280

I'm in Dallas and have brought them starters, alternators, etc.  they are
absolutely five star!!!  I brought them a very worn out greasy starter out
of a 63 buick electra.  1 day turnaround, and it was absolutely gorgeous.  i
think it was about $135.  If you ship in one of those USPS flat rate boxes
it might work out for you.   btw they just loved that old Buick starter and
made a big fuss over it.  They thought it was great fun to fix it.

Highly recommended!

Contact me offline if you need more info

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Ron L'Herault
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2019 9:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] New TR-3 starters

Ron L

Message: 1

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]