Subject: Re: [TR] How smooth does the face of a block really need to be

From: Chris Simo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:11:05 -0500

--===============1378198048561780447==

--0000000000007552e0057cb23ee2

abrasive roloc discs or those plastic finger discs?

if you've been using abrasive discs, you're probably already in somewhat
muddy waters.

I'd get it kissed at the machine shop as I tend to worry about stuff like
that before and while on long drives....

That being said, I once sanded the head and block of an old chevy luv with
a DA after it had stranded me with a blown head gasket.  Made it home and
drove it that way for 3 years until I sold it.  Still worried about it when
I got far from home...

Sent from my TRASH-80

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy <[email-masked] wrote:

> I've been at the block face of a Stag's engine with a Roloc. (The block
> has been sitting in my garage for may years.)
> I have noticed around the water channels some imperfections on the
> surface. The rest of the block face is relatively OK.
>
> Can I get away with not having the block face decked?
>
> Sujit
> --
> Sujit Roy
> Cupertino, California
>
> https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

--0000000000007552e0057cb23ee2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">abrasive roloc discs or those plastic finger discs?<div d=
ir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">if you&#39;ve been using abrasive d=
iscs, you&#39;re probably already in somewhat muddy waters.=C2=A0=C2=A0</di=
v><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;d get it kissed at th=
e machine shop as I tend to worry about stuff like that before and while on=
 long drives....</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">That be=
ing said, I once sanded the head and block of an old chevy luv with a DA af=
ter it had stranded me with a blown head gasket.=C2=A0 Made it home and dro=
ve it that way for 3 years until I sold it.=C2=A0 Still worried about it wh=
en I got far from home...<br><br><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature" di=
r=3D"auto">Sent from my TRASH-80</div></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_q=
uote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br></div=
><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1=
px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div>I&#39;ve been at=
 the block face of a Stag&#39;s engine with a Roloc. (The block has been si=
tting in my garage for may years.)</div><div>I have noticed around the wate=
r channels some imperfections on the surface. The rest of the block face is=
 relatively OK.</div><div><br></div><div>Can I get away with not having the=
 block face decked?</div><div><br></div><div>Sujit</div>-- <br><div dir=3D"=
ltr" class=3D"m_-2928778390541956300gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmai=
l_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Sujit Roy<br>Cupertino, California</div>=
<div><br><a href=3D"https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/" target=3D"_blan=
k" rel=3D"noreferrer">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><br><br></d=
iv></div></div></div></div>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nore=
ferrer">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=
=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000007552e0057cb23ee2--

--===============1378198048561780447==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1378198048561780447==--

---

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:15:25 -0800

--===============4146682583394453442==

--00000000000038403d057cb3fb70

I'm using a plastic finger roloc. Someone said to offer up the new gasket
and see if the area around the channels get covered by it. Most likely it
was exposed hence the corrosion.

Sujit

-- 
Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California

--00000000000038403d057cb3fb70
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I&#39;m using a plastic finger roloc. Someone said to offe=
r up the new gasket and see if the area around the channels get covered by =
it. Most likely it was exposed hence the corrosion.=C2=A0<div><br></div><di=
v>Sujit<br><div><br></div></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div d=
ir=3D"ltr">On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 2:11 PM Chris Simo &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockq=
uote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1p=
x solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">abrasive roloc=
 discs or those plastic finger discs?<div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=
=3D"auto">if you&#39;ve been using abrasive discs, you&#39;re probably alre=
ady in somewhat muddy waters.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div>=
<div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;d get it kissed at the machine shop as I tend to wo=
rry about stuff like that before and while on long drives....</div><div dir=
=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">That being said, I once sanded the he=
ad and block of an old chevy luv with a DA after it had stranded me with a =
blown head gasket.=C2=A0 Made it home and drove it that way for 3 years unt=
il I sold it.=C2=A0 Still worried about it when I got far from home...<br><=
br><div dir=3D"auto">Sent from my TRASH-80</div></div></div><br><div class=
=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">triumphstag@=
gmail.com</a> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"ma=
rgin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:=
1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div>I&#39;ve been at the block face of a Stag&#=
39;s engine with a Roloc. (The block has been sitting in my garage for may =
years.)</div><div>I have noticed around the water channels some imperfectio=
ns on the surface. The rest of the block face is relatively OK.</div><div><=
br></div><div>Can I get away with not having the block face decked?</div><d=
iv><br></div><div>Sujit</div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail-m_74729=
4325182601165m_-2928778390541956300gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>S=
ujit Roy<br>Cupertino, California</div><div><br><a href=3D"https://triumphs=
tagblog.wordpress.com/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://triump=
hstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><br><br></div></div></div></div></div>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"=
_blank">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>=
=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
hs/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Sujit Roy<br>Cupertino, Ca=
lifornia</div><div><br><a href=3D"https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/" t=
arget=3D"_blank">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><br><br></div></=
div></div>

--00000000000038403d057cb3fb70--

--===============4146682583394453442==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4146682583394453442==--

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 18:45:46 -0600

--===============2799455580829386912==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-827E887A-8C4D-4728-BE8B-77B08B97EBFC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-827E887A-8C4D-4728-BE8B-77B08B97EBFC
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

A mechanic I used takes heads or manifolds out into the concrete drive and g=
rinds them smooth. =20
Bill=20
I would still use him but I have moved.=20

Sent from my Motorola 8000X

On Dec 10, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Chris Simo <[email-masked]> wrote:

if you've been using abrasive discs, you're probably already in somewhat mud=
dy waters. =20

I'd get it kissed at the machine shop as I tend to worry about stuff like th=
at before and while on long drives....

That being said, I once sanded the head and block of an old chevy luv with a=
 DA after it had stranded me with a blown head gasket.  Made it home and dro=
ve it that way for 3 years until I sold it.  Still worried about it when I g=
ot far from home...

Sent from my TRASH-80

> I've been at the block face of a Stag's engine with a Roloc. (The block ha=
s been sitting in my garage for may years.)
> I have noticed around the water channels some imperfections on the surface=
. The rest of the block face is relatively OK.
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archi=
ve
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ccsimon=
[email-masked]

ash.net

--Apple-Mail-827E887A-8C4D-4728-BE8B-77B08B97EBFC
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">A mechanic I used takes heads or manifolds o=
ut into the concrete drive and grinds them smooth. &nbsp;<div>Bill&nbsp;</di=
v><div>I would still use him but I have moved.&nbsp;<br><br><div id=3D"Apple=
MailSignature" dir=3D"ltr">Sent from my Motorola 8000X</div><div dir=3D"ltr"=
><br>On Dec 10, 2018, at 4:11 PM, Chris Simo &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ccsimonse=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div dir=3D"lt=
r"><div dir=3D"auto">abrasive roloc discs or those plastic finger discs?<div=
 dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">if you've been using abrasive disc=
s, you're probably already in somewhat muddy waters.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div d=
ir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">I'd get it kissed at the machine sho=
p as I tend to worry about stuff like that before and while on long drives..=
..</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">That being said, I onc=
e sanded the head and block of an old chevy luv with a DA after it had stran=
ded me with a blown head gasket.&nbsp; Made it home and drove it that way fo=
r 3 years until I sold it.&nbsp; Still worried about it when I got far from h=
ome...<br><br><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature" dir=3D"auto">Sent from=
 my TRASH-80</div></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr=
">On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:triumphstag=
@gmail.com">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"g=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-le=
ft:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div>I've been at the block face of a Stag's e=
ngine with a Roloc. (The block has been sitting in my garage for may years.)=
</div><div>I have noticed around the water channels some imperfections on th=
e surface. The rest of the block face is relatively OK.</div><div><br></div>=
<div>Can I get away with not having the block face decked?</div><div><br></d=
iv><div>Sujit</div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"m_-2928778390541956300gm=
ail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Suji=
t Roy<br>Cupertino, California</div><div><br><a href=3D"https://triumphstagb=
log.wordpress.com/" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">https://triumphstag=
blog.wordpress.com/</a><br><br></div></div></div></div></div>
** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noref=
errer">[email-masked]</a> **<br>
<br>
rrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&n=
bsp; <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
s/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>
</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><span>** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">t=
[email-masked]</a> **</span><br><span></span><br><span>Donate: <a hr=
ef=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></=
span><br><span>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">h=
ttp://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> &nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span></span><br><span=
>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triump=
hs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/wbeech@f=
lash.net</a></span><br></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-827E887A-8C4D-4728-BE8B-77B08B97EBFC--

--===============2799455580829386912==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2799455580829386912==--

---

From: TERRY SMITH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 12:38:35 -0500 (EST)

--===============3232472873833272068==
	boundary="----=_Part_18780_1624409916.1544636315952"

------=_Part_18780_1624409916.1544636315952
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I'm probably in the minority here, but I measure the effort/expense of doing it 100% right, against the effort/expense of fixing it if it doesn't work.  If the block is already out, seems little effort and minimal money to have it skimmed at a machine shop, with the added advantage that they'll boil the block, thus cleaning any years' worth of crud out of the water channels, and check the block for cracks.  Am I glad I did that?  Yes.  When I took in the block that was original to the car for checking, the machinist found cracks where the liners sit.  I'd have had to pull the engine and start over, assuming I hadn't ruined it altogether already.  Instead, I sourced a free block from a List member in CT, and was golden.

Your experience may vary and all that.

Terry Smith, '59 Tr3A  TS 58667

New Hampshire

>     On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy < [email-masked] mailto:[email-masked] wrote:
> 
>         > >         I've been at the block face of a Stag's engine with a Roloc. (The block has been sitting in my garage for may years.)
> >         I have noticed around the water channels some imperfections on the surface. The rest of the block face is relatively OK.
> > 
> >         ** [email-masked] mailto:[email-masked] **
> > 
> >         Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> > 
> >     >     ** [email-masked] mailto:[email-masked] **
> 
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> 

>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> 

------=_Part_18780_1624409916.1544636315952
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html><head>
    <meta charset=3D"UTF-8">
</head><body><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sa=
ns-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">I&#39;m probably in the minority here, b=
ut I measure the effort/expense of doing it 100% right, against the effort/=
expense of fixing it if it doesn&#39;t work.&#160; If the block is already =
out, seems little effort and minimal money to have it skimmed at a machine =
shop, with the added advantage that they&#39;ll boil the block, thus cleani=
ng any years&#39; worth of crud out of the water channels, and check the bl=
ock for cracks.&#160; Am I glad I did that?&#160; Yes.&#160; When I took in=
 the block that was original to the car for checking, the machinist found c=
racks where the liners sit.&#160; I&#39;d have had to pull the engine and s=
tart over, assuming I hadn&#39;t ruined it altogether already.&#160; Instea=
d, I sourced a free block from a List member in CT, and was golden.<br></p>=
<p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; col=
or: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: hel=
vetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Your experience may var=
y and all that.<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,=
 arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><p style=3D"font-size:=
 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">=
Terry Smith, &#39;59 Tr3A&#160; TS 58667<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt=
; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">New H=
ampshire<br></p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,=
 sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br></p><blockquote type=3D"cite"><di=
v><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"ox-b488e11791-gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr=
">On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy &#60; <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote: <br></div><blockquote><div =
dir=3D"ltr"><div><div>I&#39;ve been at the block face of a Stag&#39;s engin=
e with a Roloc. (The block has been sitting in my garage for may years.)</d=
iv><div>I have noticed around the water channels some imperfections on the =
surface. The rest of the block face is relatively OK.</div><div><br></div><=
div>Can I get away with not having the block face decked?</div><div><br></d=
iv><div>Sujit</div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"ox-b488e11791-m_-292877=
8390541956300gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Sujit Roy <br>Cupertino=
, California</div><div><br> <a href=3D"https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.co=
m/" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.co=
m/</a> <br> <br></div></div></div></div></div>** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs=
@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">[email-masked]=
</a> ** <br> <br> Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" targe=
t=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a> <br> Arch=
ive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" target=3D"_blank" r=
el=3D"noopener">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>&#160; <a href=3D=
"http://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener">http://www=
.team.net/archive</a> <br> <br> Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" =
rel=3D"noopener">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/ccsimonsen@=
gmail.com</a> <br></blockquote></div></div><div dir=3D"ltr">** <a href=3D"m=
ailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> ** <br> <br> Don=
ate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate=
.html</a> <br> Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">=
http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> &#160;<a href=3D"http://www.team=
.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a> <br> <br> Unsubscribe/Manage:=
 <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]=
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a> <br><=
/div></div></blockquote><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica=
,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;" class=3D"default-style"><br>&#160;</p><=
blockquote type=3D"cite">** [email-masked] ** <br> <br>Donate: htt=
p://www.team.net/donate.html <br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tri=
umphs http://www.team.net/archive <br> <br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked] <br></blockquote><p =
style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #=
333333;" class=3D"default-style"><br>&#160;</p></body></html>
=20
------=_Part_18780_1624409916.1544636315952--

--===============3232472873833272068==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3232472873833272068==--

---

From: David P <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 15:09:34 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5250962784617503583==
 boundary="------------90C93468A8000394F689889E"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------90C93468A8000394F689889E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

While on this general subject... the 250 and TR6 blocks have a ledge 
machined into the top couple mm of each bore, presumably to allow a bit 
of the head gasket to seep into this space. Does anyone have a better 
explanation?

Has anyone had this ledge removed by decking the block and if so were 
there piston to head clearance issues?

DaveP

On 12/12/2018 10:38 AM, TERRY SMITH wrote:
>
> I'm probably in the minority here, but I measure the effort/expense of 
> doing it 100% right, against the effort/expense of fixing it if it 
> doesn't work.  If the block is already out, seems little effort and 
> minimal money to have it skimmed at a machine shop, with the added 
> advantage that they'll boil the block, thus cleaning any years' worth 
> of crud out of the water channels, and check the block for cracks.  Am 
> I glad I did that?  Yes.  When I took in the block that was original 
> to the car for checking, the machinist found cracks where the liners 
> sit.  I'd have had to pull the engine and start over, assuming I 
> hadn't ruined it altogether already.  Instead, I sourced a free block 
> from a List member in CT, and was golden.
>
>
>> On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy < [email-masked] 
>>
>>     I've been at the block face of a Stag's engine with a Roloc. (The
>>     block has been sitting in my garage for may years.)
>>     I have noticed around the water channels some imperfections on
>>     the surface. The rest of the block face is relatively OK.
>>
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

--------------90C93468A8000394F689889E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>While on this general subject... the 250 and TR6 blocks have a
      ledge machined into the top couple mm of each bore, presumably to
      allow a bit of the head gasket to seep into this space. Does
      anyone have a better explanation?</p>
    <p>Has anyone had this ledge removed by decking the block and if so
      were there piston to head clearance issues?</p>
    <p>DaveP<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 12/12/2018 10:38 AM, TERRY SMITH
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <meta charset="UTF-8">
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
        sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">I'm probably in the
        minority here, but I measure the effort/expense of doing it 100%
        right, against the effort/expense of fixing it if it doesn't
        work.  If the block is already out, seems little effort and
        minimal money to have it skimmed at a machine shop, with the
        added advantage that they'll boil the block, thus cleaning any
        years' worth of crud out of the water channels, and check the
        block for cracks.  Am I glad I did that?  Yes.  When I took in
        the block that was original to the car for checking, the
        machinist found cracks where the liners sit.  I'd have had to
        pull the engine and start over, assuming I hadn't ruined it
        altogether already.  Instead, I sourced a free block from a List
        member in CT, and was golden.<br>
      </p>
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
        sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br>
      </p>
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
        sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Your experience may vary
        and all that.<br>
      </p>
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
        sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br>
      </p>
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
        sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Terry Smith, '59 Tr3A  TS
        58667<br>
      </p>
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
        sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">New Hampshire<br>
      </p>
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
        sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br>
      </p>
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <div>
          <div dir="ltr">
            <div class="ox-b488e11791-gmail_quote">
              <div dir="ltr">On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy
                &lt; <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
                wrote: <br>
              </div>
              <blockquote>
                <div dir="ltr">
                  <div>
                    <div>I've been at the block face of a Stag's engine
                      with a Roloc. (The block has been sitting in my
                      garage for may years.)</div>
                    <div>I have noticed around the water channels some
                      imperfections on the surface. The rest of the
                      block face is relatively OK.</div>
                    <div><br>
                    </div>
                    <div>Can I get away with not having the block face
                      decked?</div>
                    <div><br>
                    </div>
                    <div>Sujit</div>
                    -- <br>
                    <div dir="ltr"
                      class="ox-b488e11791-m_-2928778390541956300gmail_signature">
                      <div dir="ltr">
                        <div>Sujit Roy <br>
                          Cupertino, California</div>
                        <div><br>
                          <a
                            href="https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/"
                            target="_blank" rel="noopener"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a>
                          <br>
                          <br>
                        </div>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                </div>
                ** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                  target="_blank" rel="noopener" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
                ** <br>
                <br>
                Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                  target="_blank" rel="noopener" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
                <br>
                Archive: <a
                  href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                  target="_blank" rel="noopener" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> 
                <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank"
                  rel="noopener" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
                <br>
                <br>
                Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                  target="_blank" rel="noopener" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
                <br>
              </blockquote>
            </div>
          </div>
          <div dir="ltr">** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
              moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a> ** <br>
            <br>
            Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
            <br>
            Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
             <a href="http://www.team.net/archive"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a> <br>
            <br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
              href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
            <br>
          </div>
        </div>
      </blockquote>
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family:
        helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;"
        class="default-style"><br>
         </p>
      <blockquote type="cite">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> ** <br>
        <br>
        Donate: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a> <br>
        Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a> <br>
        <br>
        Unsubscribe/Manage:
        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
        <br>
      </blockquote>
      <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family:
        helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;"
        class="default-style"><br>
         </p>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/">WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>
  <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png" alt=""  width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avg.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--------------90C93468A8000394F689889E--

--===============5250962784617503583==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============5250962784617503583==--

---

From: Paul Tegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 21:59:47 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4574161002022612527==
 boundary="------------8B12BF8070B4F5AE02DD41BF"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------8B12BF8070B4F5AE02DD41BF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

If your block has a lip...it's a different head gasket than with a flat 
block deck.

The recessed block head gasket actually has thicker rings embedded 
around the cyl bore, overhanging that recess.  GT6 did the same thing on 
later models. One gasket should have a tang that sticks out of the back 
of the head identifying the type (rings or not)

If you lay a straight edge on top the block,and can see light under the 
ruler when lit from behind....seriously consider a skim. Your cyls are 
less likely to blow, but the water ways and oil galleries can still be 
an issue if not VERY flat (and the head VERY flat)

ptegler

On 12/12/2018 5:09 PM, David P wrote:
> machined into the top couple mm of each bore, presumably to allow a 
> bit of the head gasket to seep into this space. Does anyone have a 
> better explanation?
>
>> I'm probably in the minority here, but I measure the effort/expense 
>> of doing it 100% right, against the effort/expense of fixing it if it 
>> of crud out of the water channels, and check the block for cracks.  
>> Am I glad I did that?  Yes. When I took in the block that was 
>> original to the car for checking, the machinist found cracks where 
>> the liners sit. I'd have had to pull the engine and start over, 
>> assuming I hadn't ruined it altogether already.  Instead, I sourced a 
>> free block from a List member in CT, and was golden.
>>
>>
>>>     I've been at the block face of a Stag's engine with a Roloc.
>>>     (The block has been sitting in my garage for may years.)
>> [email-masked]  **
>>
>> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs   http://www.team.net/archive
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> -- 
> Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here:WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/
>
> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 
> 	Virus-free. www.avg.com 
> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 
>
>
> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Paul Tegler
[email-masked]  www.teglerizer.com

--------------8B12BF8070B4F5AE02DD41BF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>If your block has a lip...it's a different head gasket than with
      a flat block deck.</p>
    <p>The recessed block head gasket actually has thicker rings
      embedded around the cyl bore, overhanging that recess.  GT6 did
      the same thing on later models. One gasket should have a tang that
      sticks out of the back of the head identifying the type (rings or
      not)</p>
    <p>If you lay a straight edge on top the block,and can see light
      under the ruler when lit from behind....seriously consider a skim.
      Your cyls are less likely to blow, but the water ways and oil
      galleries can still be an issue if not VERY flat (and the head
      VERY flat)</p>
    <p>ptegler<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 12/12/2018 5:09 PM, David P wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <p>While on this general subject... the 250 and TR6 blocks have a
        ledge machined into the top couple mm of each bore, presumably
        to allow a bit of the head gasket to seep into this space. Does
        anyone have a better explanation?</p>
      <p>Has anyone had this ledge removed by decking the block and if
        so were there piston to head clearance issues?</p>
      <p>DaveP<br>
      </p>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 12/12/2018 10:38 AM, TERRY SMITH
        wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
        cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
          charset=UTF-8">
        <meta charset="UTF-8">
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
          sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">I'm probably in the
          minority here, but I measure the effort/expense of doing it
          100% right, against the effort/expense of fixing it if it
          doesn't work.  If the block is already out, seems little
          effort and minimal money to have it skimmed at a machine shop,
          with the added advantage that they'll boil the block, thus
          cleaning any years' worth of crud out of the water channels,
          and check the block for cracks.  Am I glad I did that?  Yes. 
          When I took in the block that was original to the car for
          checking, the machinist found cracks where the liners sit. 
          I'd have had to pull the engine and start over, assuming I
          hadn't ruined it altogether already.  Instead, I sourced a
          free block from a List member in CT, and was golden.<br>
        </p>
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
          sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br>
        </p>
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
          sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Your experience may vary
          and all that.<br>
        </p>
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
          sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br>
        </p>
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
          sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Terry Smith, '59 Tr3A  TS
          58667<br>
        </p>
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
          sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">New Hampshire<br>
        </p>
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial,
          sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><br>
        </p>
        <blockquote type="cite">
          <div>
            <div dir="ltr">
              <div class="ox-b488e11791-gmail_quote">
                <div dir="ltr">On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 PM Sujit Roy
                  &lt; <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
                  wrote: <br>
                </div>
                <blockquote>
                  <div dir="ltr">
                    <div>
                      <div>I've been at the block face of a Stag's
                        engine with a Roloc. (The block has been sitting
                        in my garage for may years.)</div>
                      <div>I have noticed around the water channels some
                        imperfections on the surface. The rest of the
                        block face is relatively OK.</div>
                      <div><br>
                      </div>
                      <div>Can I get away with not having the block face
                        decked?</div>
                      <div><br>
                      </div>
                      <div>Sujit</div>
                      -- <br>
                      <div dir="ltr"
                        class="ox-b488e11791-m_-2928778390541956300gmail_signature">
                        <div dir="ltr">
                          <div>Sujit Roy <br>
                            Cupertino, California</div>
                          <div><br>
                            <a
                              href="https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/"
                              target="_blank" rel="noopener"
                              moz-do-not-send="true">https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a>
                            <br>
                            <br>
                          </div>
                        </div>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                  ** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    target="_blank" rel="noopener"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
                  ** <br>
                  <br>
                  Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                    target="_blank" rel="noopener"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
                  <br>
                  Archive: <a
                    href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                    target="_blank" rel="noopener"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> 
                  <a href="http://www.team.net/archive" target="_blank"
                    rel="noopener" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
                  <br>
                  <br>
                  Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                    target="_blank" rel="noopener"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
                  <br>
                </blockquote>
              </div>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr">** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a> ** <br>
              <br>
              Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
              <br>
              Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
               <a href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a> <br>
              <br>
              Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
                href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
              <br>
            </div>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family:
          helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;"
          class="default-style"><br>
           </p>
        <blockquote type="cite">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
          ** <br>
          <br>
          Donate: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
            href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a> <br>
          Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
            href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
            moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
          <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
            href="http://www.team.net/archive" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
          <br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
            moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
        <p style="font-size: 12pt; font-family:
          helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;"
          class="default-style"><br>
           </p>
        <br>
        <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/" moz-do-not-send="true">WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>
      <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br>
        <table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
          <tbody>
            <tr>
              <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a
href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=link&amp;utm_campaign=sig-email&amp;utm_content=emailclient"
                  target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"><img
src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png"
                    alt="" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;"
                    moz-do-not-send="true" width="46" height="29"></a></td>
              <td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color:
                #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica,
                sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a
href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=link&amp;utm_campaign=sig-email&amp;utm_content=emailclient"
                  target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">www.avg.com</a> </td>
            </tr>
          </tbody>
        </table>
        <a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1"
          height="1" moz-do-not-send="true"> </a></div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Paul Tegler
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a></pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------8B12BF8070B4F5AE02DD41BF--

--===============4574161002022612527==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4574161002022612527==--