Subject: Re: [TR] (no subject)

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 21:21:19 -0800

> What causes an exhaust 
> valve to get stuck open? How do I fix it? This engine rebuild 
> is relatively recent.

Most likely, there is not enough clearance in the valve guide for the valve
stem.

Valve guides are normally replaced as part of an engine rebuild.  The guides
are deliberately made a small amount oversize, so they crush a bit during
the installation process and the hole closes up.  This compensates for any
variation in machining the holes in the head.  So, It is important that
after the guide is installed in the head, the opening in the guide is reamed
to the proper size. 

The problem is compounded by the common use of phosphor-bronze valve guides
instead of the stock cast iron ones.  The bronze guides need to be reamed a
bit larger than iron guides do, because bronze expands faster with heat.

It is possible there is some other problem; but the next step is the same :
The cylinder head will have to come off, so you (or a machine shop) can
disassemble that valve, identify and correct the problem.

If the problem is lack of clearance (undersize guide), I would want to check
all the other valves as well.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 16:05:13 -0500

--===============2133908924289021102==

--000000000000486b5c057af6c258

--000000000000486b5a057af6c257

Paul stopped by this afternoon, and showed me this picture.  If it was
mine, given that it hadn't run in two years and had been drained of oil for
six months, I'd spray some rust-penetrating spray all up in there, and let
it soak for a day or so.  Then, I'd tap the valve with a small hammer to
see if I had any "bounce"...  Then, if it was still stuck down, I'd
probably try The Other Rope Trick:  Put the piston at BDC, run some 3/8"
nylon rope in the cylinder (leave an end hanging out!), then gently rotate
toward TDC and see if it would move it without too much force.  If it still
doesn't move, then the head has to come off.

If it were mine, that's what I would do....

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 10:22 PM Paul Dorsey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am a novice.  I have been asking questions about my pushrod, rocker arm,
> etc. without realizing the problem was probably the exhaust valve being
> stuck open the whole time. (as shown in the picture below).  What causes an
> exhaust valve to get stuck open? How do I fix it? This engine rebuild is
> relatively recent.
>
> Hope I don't bombard the list, Thanks, Paul Dorsey  60 TR3
>
>

--000000000000486b5a057af6c257
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Paul stopped by this afternoon, and showed me this picture=
.=C2=A0 If it was mine, given that it hadn&#39;t run in two years and had b=
een drained of oil for six months, I&#39;d spray some rust-penetrating spra=
y all up in there, and let it soak for a day or so.=C2=A0 Then, I&#39;d tap=
 the valve with a small hammer to see if I had any &quot;bounce&quot;...=C2=
=A0 Then, if it was still stuck down, I&#39;d probably try The Other Rope T=
rick:=C2=A0 Put the piston at BDC, run some 3/8&quot; nylon rope in the cyl=
inder (leave an end hanging out!), then gently rotate toward TDC and see if=
 it would move it without too much force.=C2=A0 If it still doesn&#39;t mov=
e, then the head has to come off.<div><br></div><div>If it were mine, that&=
#39;s what I would do....</div><div><br></div><div>Jeff Scarbrough</div><di=
v>Corrosion Acres, Ga.</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=
=3D"ltr">On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 10:22 PM Paul Dorsey &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc soli=
d;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_quote">I am a novi=
ce.=C2=A0 I have been asking questions about my pushrod, rocker arm, etc. w=
ithout realizing the problem was probably the exhaust valve being stuck ope=
n the whole time. (as shown in the picture below).=C2=A0 What causes an exh=
aust valve to get stuck open? How do I fix it? This engine rebuild is relat=
ively recent.</div><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail=
_quote">Hope I don&#39;t bombard the list, Thanks, Paul Dorsey=C2=A0 60 TR3=
<br><br><div><img src=3D"cid:167249841f271e41ae41" style=3D"width:736px;max=
-width:100%"></div></div></div>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000486b5a057af6c257--

--000000000000486b5c057af6c258
Content-Disposition: inline; 
	filename="CC2A3661-7E53-4C00-845F-5B8011FC94B3.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <167249841f271e41ae41>

--000000000000486b5c057af6c258--

--===============2133908924289021102==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============2133908924289021102==--

---

From: Paul Tegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 19:12:16 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8435001430321021815==
 boundary="------------5CDFFA7E11711FC1EE460B8B"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------5CDFFA7E11711FC1EE460B8B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

?? can you rotate the crank knowing the piston in question can go to, 
and past TDC without touching the stuck valve?

If you can not rotate the engine and pop that valve back up.... before 
pulling the head, pull the intake exhaust manifolds (half way to pulling 
the head) look down in the exhuast port and see if the valve has a ton 
of crap on it.  Stuck down, you should see shiny metal of the valve that 
rides in the guide if the valve is open.... might be able to see if it's 
scored from being tight in the guide.

If it stuck down and the piston even slightly tapped the valve, chances 
are its bent!   :-(

ptegler

On 11/18/2018 4:05 PM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> mine, given that it hadn't run in two years and had been drained of 
> oil for six months, I'd spray some rust-penetrating spray all up in 
> there, and let it soak for a day or so.  Then, I'd tap the valve with 
> a small hammer to see if I had any "bounce"...  Then, if it was still 
> stuck down, I'd probably try The Other Rope Trick:  Put the piston at 
> BDC, run some 3/8" nylon rope in the cylinder (leave an end hanging 
> out!), then gently rotate toward TDC and see if it would move it 
> without too much force.  If it still doesn't move, then the head has 
> to come off.
>
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 10:22 PM Paul Dorsey <[email-masked] 
>
>     I am a novice.  I have been asking questions about my pushrod,
>     rocker arm, etc. without realizing the problem was probably the
>     exhaust valve being stuck open the whole time. (as shown in the
>     picture below).  What causes an exhaust valve to get stuck open?
>     How do I fix it? This engine rebuild is relatively recent.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Paul Tegler
[email-masked]  www.teglerizer.com

--------------5CDFFA7E11711FC1EE460B8B
 boundary="------------2BFFB5B75F4D1A6496A2CFDC"

--------------2BFFB5B75F4D1A6496A2CFDC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>?? can you rotate the crank knowing the piston in question can go
      to, and past TDC without touching the stuck valve?</p>
    <p>If you can not rotate the engine and pop that valve back up....
      before pulling the head, pull the intake exhaust manifolds (half
      way to pulling the head) look down in the exhuast port and see if
      the valve has a ton of crap on it.  Stuck down, you should see
      shiny metal of the valve that rides in the guide if the valve is
      open.... might be able to see if it's scored from being tight in
      the guide.<br>
    </p>
    <p>If it stuck down and the piston even slightly tapped the valve,
      chances are its bent!   :-(</p>
    <p>ptegler<br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/18/2018 4:05 PM, Jeff Scarbrough
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAO8Q7COjzQ_Y8bq5fxo=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div dir="ltr">Paul stopped by this afternoon, and showed me this
        picture.  If it was mine, given that it hadn't run in two years
        and had been drained of oil for six months, I'd spray some
        rust-penetrating spray all up in there, and let it soak for a
        day or so.  Then, I'd tap the valve with a small hammer to see
        if I had any "bounce"...  Then, if it was still stuck down, I'd
        probably try The Other Rope Trick:  Put the piston at BDC, run
        some 3/8" nylon rope in the cylinder (leave an end hanging
        out!), then gently rotate toward TDC and see if it would move it
        without too much force.  If it still doesn't move, then the head
        has to come off.
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>If it were mine, that's what I would do....</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Jeff Scarbrough</div>
        <div>Corrosion Acres, Ga.</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr">On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 10:22 PM Paul Dorsey &lt;<a
            href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
          <div dir="ltr">
            <div class="gmail_quote">I am a novice.  I have been asking
              questions about my pushrod, rocker arm, etc. without
              realizing the problem was probably the exhaust valve being
              stuck open the whole time. (as shown in the picture
              below).  What causes an exhaust valve to get stuck open?
              How do I fix it? This engine rebuild is relatively recent.</div>
            <div class="gmail_quote"><br>
            </div>
            <div class="gmail_quote">Hope I don't bombard the list,
              Thanks, Paul Dorsey  60 TR3<br>
              <br>
              <div><img src="cid:[email-masked]"
                  style="width:736px;max-width:100%" class=""></div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Paul Tegler
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a></pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------2BFFB5B75F4D1A6496A2CFDC
 name="CC2A3661-7E53-4C00-845F-5B8011FC94B3.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Disposition: inline;
 filename="CC2A3661-7E53-4C00-845F-5B8011FC94B3.JPG"

--------------2BFFB5B75F4D1A6496A2CFDC--

--------------5CDFFA7E11711FC1EE460B8B--

--===============8435001430321021815==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============8435001430321021815==--

---

From: Peter Ryner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 01:49:02 +0000

--===============3924136468657845691==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_004_BN6PR04MB0355F5A62CDD4C02E3A2573EDED80BN6PR04MB0355namp_";
	type="multipart/alternative"

--_004_BN6PR04MB0355F5A62CDD4C02E3A2573EDED80BN6PR04MB0355namp_
	boundary="_000_BN6PR04MB0355F5A62CDD4C02E3A2573EDED80BN6PR04MB0355namp_"

--_000_BN6PR04MB0355F5A62CDD4C02E3A2573EDED80BN6PR04MB0355namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_BN6PR04MB0355F5A62CDD4C02E3A2573EDED80BN6PR04MB0355namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_BN6PR04MB0355F5A62CDD4C02E3A2573EDED80BN6PR04MB0355namp_--

--_004_BN6PR04MB0355F5A62CDD4C02E3A2573EDED80BN6PR04MB0355namp_
Content-Description: image001.jpg
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="image001.jpg"; size=4984788;
	creation-date="Mon, 19 Nov 2018 01:48:49 GMT";
	modification-date="Mon, 19 Nov 2018 01:49:01 GMT"
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_004_BN6PR04MB0355F5A62CDD4C02E3A2573EDED80BN6PR04MB0355namp_--

--===============3924136468657845691==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3924136468657845691==--