Subject: Re: [TR] Brake disks

From: Dave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 09:49:18 -0800

--===============3889850174245238192==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
	boundary=Apple-Mail-37C4DC93-D42D-47DA-8322-5DAC271D262D

--Apple-Mail-37C4DC93-D42D-47DA-8322-5DAC271D262D
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I second the rear drum check.  Believe it or not, even new drums should be t=
urned before use, as I recently found while replacing the drums on my Toyota=
 Tacoma.  Regarding the front discs, I'd go for the upgraded factory solid r=
eplacements from Brembo. =20
Dave H.

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 11, 2018, at 8:24 AM, Peter Arakelian <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> <"I feel those "bumps" when I slow to a stop"
> =20
> Have you checked the brake drums on the rear?  In the day it was very comm=
on, especially in VW's, to find warped rear drums, because the parking brake=
 was pulled up tight while the drums were warm.  It would cause a slight, bu=
t noticeable warp in the drums that you could feel as a pulsing in the brake=
 pedal.
> =20
> Peter Arakelian - 71 TR6
> ** [email-masked] **
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archi=
ve
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dlhogye=
@comcast.net

--Apple-Mail-37C4DC93-D42D-47DA-8322-5DAC271D262D
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div>I second the rear drum check. &nbsp;Believe it or not, even new drums should be turned before use, as I recently found while replacing the drums on my Toyota Tacoma. &nbsp;Regarding the front discs, I'd go for the upgraded factory solid replacements from Brembo. &nbsp;</div><div id="AppleMailSignature">Dave H.<br><br>Sent from my iPad</div><div><br>On Nov 11, 2018, at 8:24 AM, Peter Arakelian &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><blockquote type="cite"><div>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<style></style>
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="MSHTML 11.00.10570.1001">

<!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]-->
<div>&lt;"I feel those "bumps" when I slow to a stop"</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Have you checked the brake drums on the rear?&nbsp; In the day it was very common, especially in VW's, to find warped rear drums, because the parking brake was pulled up tight while the drums were warm.&nbsp; It would cause a slight, but noticeable warp in the drums
 that you could feel as a pulsing in the brake pedal.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Peter Arakelian - 71 TR6</div>

</div></blockquote><blockquote type="cite"><div><span>** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **</span><br><span></span><br><span>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br><span>Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a> &nbsp;<a href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a></span><br></div></blockquote></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-37C4DC93-D42D-47DA-8322-5DAC271D262D--

--===============3889850174245238192==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3889850174245238192==--

---

From: DAVE HOGYE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:41:22 -0800 (PST)

--===============0541496659063784984==
	boundary="----=_Part_1069053_311655783.1541965282283"

------=_Part_1069053_311655783.1541965282283
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Sometimes, but probably more often than warping, brake pulsations or shuttering are caused from imprinting.  Like when, as Peter mentions, the park brake is applied and left on after the brakes are very hot.  Friction material is transferred to the drum and or the rotors and causes a pulsating pedal feeling and shake. This is most likely the reason I have been having brake issues with my Tacoma.  I live at the bottom of a hilly road, and for about two miles I'm on the brakes, so my truck is sometimes parked when the brakes are still hot.  I do my best to try and let the brakes cool before I park it, by going a little further down the road and returning back up the hill when the brakes are not used as hard.  Or, I sometimes take a slightly longer route to avoid this problem all together. 

Of course warping can be checked with a dial indicator and seen when they are turned.  Imprinting is less evident, but feels very similar.

Dave H.

> On November 11, 2018 at 8:24 AM Peter Arakelian <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>     Have you checked the brake drums on the rear?  In the day it was very common, especially in VW's, to find warped rear drums, because the parking brake was pulled up tight while the drums were warm.  It would cause a slight, but noticeable warp in the drums that you could feel as a pulsing in the brake pedal.
>      
>     Peter Arakelian - 71 TR6
> 

>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> 

------=_Part_1069053_311655783.1541965282283
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html><head>
    <meta charset=3D"UTF-8">
</head><body><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sa=
ns-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Sometimes, but probably more often than =
warping, brake pulsations or shuttering are caused from imprinting.&#160; L=
ike when, as Peter mentions, the park brake is applied and left on after th=
e brakes are very hot.&#160; Friction material is transferred to the drum a=
nd or the rotors and causes a pulsating pedal feeling and shake. This is mo=
st likely the reason I have been having brake issues with my Tacoma.&#160; =
I live at the bottom of a hilly road, and for about two miles I&#39;m on th=
e brakes, so my truck is sometimes parked when the brakes are still hot.&#1=
60; I do my best to try and let the brakes cool before I park it, by going =
a little further down the road and returning back up the hill when the brak=
es are not used as hard.&#160; Or, I sometimes take a slightly longer route=
 to avoid this problem all together.&#160;</p><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; =
font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Of cour=
se warping can be checked with a dial indicator and seen when they are turn=
ed.&#160; Imprinting is less evident, but feels very similar.</p><p style=
=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(=
51, 51, 51);">Dave H.</p><blockquote type=3D"cite">On November 11, 2018 at =
8:24 AM Peter Arakelian &#60;[email-masked]&#62; wrote: <br> <br><div>&#6=
0;&#34;I feel those &#34;bumps&#34; when I slow to a stop&#34;</div><div>&#=
160;</div><div>Have you checked the brake drums on the rear?&#160; In the d=
ay it was very common, especially in VW&#39;s, to find warped rear drums, b=
ecause the parking brake was pulled up tight while the drums were warm.&#16=
0; It would cause a slight, but noticeable warp in the drums that you could=
 feel as a pulsing in the brake pedal.</div><div>&#160;</div><div>Peter Ara=
kelian - 71 TR6</div></blockquote><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family:=
 helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;" class=3D"default-style"><br>&=
#160;</p><blockquote type=3D"cite">** [email-masked] ** <br> <br>D=
onate: http://www.team.net/donate.html <br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pip=
ermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/archive <br> <br>Unsubscribe/Manage: ht=
tp://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked] <br></bloc=
kquote><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif=
; color: #333333;" class=3D"default-style"><br>&#160;</p></body></html>
=20
------=_Part_1069053_311655783.1541965282283--

--===============0541496659063784984==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0541496659063784984==--