Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 steering box

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 23:58:45 -0800

I"ve done my own several times.  Not too hard as long as you don't have to
replace the worm.  If the worm does need to be replaced, I'd probably ship
it off to TRF.

You asked for opinions; mine is that a TR3 with R&P is not "restored".  At
best, it's a resto-mod.  Among other issues, the R&P conversion means the
control head does not stay with the turn lever up, and no longer cancels.
Most of them relocate the turn signal switch to the dash, using the
self-cancelling switch from an MGA.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 08:32:56 -0500

I agree with Randall on all his points.  If the worm has chips, it is toast
and repair is beyond the average "tinkerer".  But there are guys like Mike
Buonanduci and Marv Gruber who may have a spare.  I was recently at Mike's
and picked up a column which was in great shape.

There are weld-on and bolt-on R&P conversions.  Racetorations has a very
elegant bolt-on conversion which I have in 2 of my cars.  Like Randall says,
you will have to find an alternative for the horn and turn signal, but it
does allow for a nice 14-inch steering wheel.

Disclaimer:  Racetorations is owned by my cousin, but no financial interest.

Andrew Uprichard
Jackson, Michigan

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2018 2:59 AM
To: 'dave'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 steering box

-- Randall 

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]