Subject: [TR] TR cylinder heads

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 14:14:33 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4586426211424549594==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002F_01D48592.5B7B8C90"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D48592.5B7B8C90
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

When it comes to the 4-cylinder TR models, I am aware of four variations on
cylinder head design:  the original low-port TR2 head, the "le Mans" head
which was a variation on the low port design, the high port head which came
with most of the TR3s and the TR4 head with the smaller intake aperture.

But someone was talking to me the other day about a variation in the high
port TR3 head.  According to this guy, there was a variation in the
thermostat housing, some of which were more sloping than rounded.  He
claimed the sloped design was more attractive as it lended itself to more
shaving and thus a better, high compression engine.

I must admit I had never heard about this.  I have three heads sitting in my
barns and all have what appears to be the same, rounded underneath to the
thermostat housing.

Has anyone heard of this?

Andrew Uprichard

Jackson, Michigan

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D48592.5B7B8C90
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>When it comes to the =
4-cylinder TR models, I am aware of four variations on cylinder head =
design:&nbsp; the original low-port TR2 head, the &#8220;le Mans&#8221; =
head which was a variation on the low port design, the high port head =
which came with most of the TR3s and the TR4 head with the smaller =
intake aperture.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>But someone was talking =
to me the other day about a variation in the high port TR3 head.&nbsp; =
According to this guy, there was a variation in the thermostat housing, =
some of which were more sloping than rounded.&nbsp; He claimed the =
sloped design was more attractive as it lended itself to more shaving =
and thus a better, high compression engine.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>I must admit I had never =
heard about this.&nbsp; I have three heads sitting in my barns and all =
have what appears to be the same, rounded underneath to the thermostat =
housing.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"'>Has anyone heard of =
this?<br><br>Andrew Uprichard<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-family:"Times New =
Roman","serif"'>Jackson, =
Michigan<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_002F_01D48592.5B7B8C90--

--===============4586426211424549594==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4586426211424549594==--