Subject: Re: [TR] ZS XD 175 carbs needle adjustment

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 11:09:32 -0400

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:50 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Good morning,
> My 1976 TR6 is running rich on the front cylinders based on the color of the plugs.  I was attempting to adjust the needle using a carb adjustment tool that locks the upper part and passes the wrench through to the adjustment.  The wrench will seat in the adjuster, but will not move either way.  I did not think that these had locking screws to prevent any change.  I was reluctant to force the needle and wanted to see if there is something I am missing here.

I have a 1976 Spitfire with the same problem.  Right now I'm just
soaking it in various let-go solutions.  Hoping I don't have to get
too aggressive...  I think I'd swap the piston out before I start
drilling, to buy myself some time.  That's why you can't have just one
LBC.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.
** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: James Henningsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 14:03:13 -0400

Should be a locking screw on the side of the piston.  Take suction done off pull out piston and loosen screw for adjusting needle.  Put piston back in and dome on then can adjust.  Jim Henningsen 

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:33:36 -0400

--===============3659613813192080348==

--000000000000aa37710576693b58

After a couple of days soaking, mine came loose today.  After getting the
needle out, I turned the Piston over to drive the screw out. First tap
shook loose a pile of rust...

Be patient, but don't give up. Work it a little bit at a time....

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018, 11:09 AM Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > My 1976 TR6 is running rich on the front cylinders based on the color of
> the plugs.  I was attempting to adjust the needle using a carb adjustment
> tool that locks the upper part and passes the wrench through to the
> adjustment.  The wrench will seat in the adjuster, but will not move either
> way.  I did not think that these had locking screws to prevent any change.
> I was reluctant to force the needle and wanted to see if there is something
> I am missing here.
>

--000000000000aa37710576693b58
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">After a couple of days soaking, mine came loose today.=C2=
=A0 After getting the needle out, I turned the Piston over to drive the scr=
ew out. First tap shook loose a pile of rust...<div dir=3D"auto"><br></div>=
<div dir=3D"auto">Be patient, but don&#39;t give up. Work it a little bit a=
t a time....</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On =
Fri, Sep 21, 2018, 11:09 AM Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fishplate=
@gmail.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padd=
ing-left:1ex">On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 9:50 PM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:davgil@=
aol.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:=
<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Good morning,<br>
&gt; My 1976 TR6 is running rich on the front cylinders based on the color =
of the plugs.=C2=A0 I was attempting to adjust the needle using a carb adju=
stment tool that locks the upper part and passes the wrench through to the =
adjustment.=C2=A0 The wrench will seat in the adjuster, but will not move e=
ither way.=C2=A0 I did not think that these had locking screws to prevent a=
ny change.=C2=A0 I was reluctant to force the needle and wanted to see if t=
here is something I am missing here.<br>
<br>
I have a 1976 Spitfire with the same problem.=C2=A0 Right now I&#39;m just<=
br>
soaking it in various let-go solutions.=C2=A0 Hoping I don&#39;t have to ge=
t<br>
too aggressive...=C2=A0 I think I&#39;d swap the piston out before I start<=
br>
drilling, to buy myself some time.=C2=A0 That&#39;s why you can&#39;t have =
just one<br>
LBC.<br>
<br>
Jeff Scarbrough<br>
Corrosion Acres, Ga.<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000aa37710576693b58--

--===============3659613813192080348==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3659613813192080348==--