Subject: Re: [TR] Ccs or CW? Metric or Sae?

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 08:45:25 -0400

> 
> I've never asked, is it OK to turn the engine with the 
> crankshaft bolt and turn it clockwise    And anti-clockwise?
> 
> Also, is  they  Triumph  metric or Sae?  I know my Sae  
> wrenches work on it, but maybe the threads and other stuff is metric?
> 

Turning it in the direction of normal rotation should be fine.  (Clockwise
if you are standing in front looking back at the engine.)  Turning it the
other way risks having the bolt come loose, but will usually be fine.

But it's tight quarters down there, I find it a lot easier to either turn it
with the starter (the rubber button on the starter solenoid makes this
easy); or put it in gear and push the car a little.

The engine itself is all SAE threads (both fine and coarse).  However, there
are some British threads (and wrench sizes) on accessories like the starter,
generator and carburetors.  The only metric threads I can think of offhand
are the overdrive switches.

-- Randall  

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Geo Hahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 16:24:10 -0700

--===============0254196934620045692==

--0000000000006f058a0576f6c163

>
> The only metric threads I can think of offhand are the overdrive switches.
>

And, of course, the spark plugs.

Geo

--0000000000006f058a0576f6c163
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quot=
e" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">=
The only metric threads I can think of offhand=C2=A0are the overdrive switc=
hes.<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>And, of course, the spark plugs.</=
div><div><br></div><div>Geo</div></div></div>

--0000000000006f058a0576f6c163--

--===============0254196934620045692==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0254196934620045692==--

---

From: Stan Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 01:10:18 +0000

--===============9041389080758791940==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BLUPR0501MB1060BA245C1EACDA7CBA6F9AFEED0BLUPR0501MB1060_"

--_000_BLUPR0501MB1060BA245C1EACDA7CBA6F9AFEED0BLUPR0501MB1060_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

QWx0ZXJuYXRvciBhZGp1c3RtZW50IGJvbHQuDQoNCkZyb206IFRyaXVtcGhzIDx0cml1bXBocy1i
b3VuY2VzQGF1dG94LnRlYW0ubmV0PiBPbiBCZWhhbGYgT2YgR2VvIEhhaG4NClNlbnQ6IEZyaWRh
eSwgU2VwdGVtYmVyIDI4LCAyMDE4IDc6MjQgUE0NClRvOiBUcml1bXBocyA8dHJpdW1waHNAYXV0
b3gudGVhbS5uZXQ+DQpTdWJqZWN0OiBSZTogW1RSXSBDY3Mgb3IgQ1c/IE1ldHJpYyBvciBTYWU/
DQoNClRoZSBvbmx5IG1ldHJpYyB0aHJlYWRzIEkgY2FuIHRoaW5rIG9mIG9mZmhhbmQgYXJlIHRo
ZSBvdmVyZHJpdmUgc3dpdGNoZXMuDQoNCkFuZCwgb2YgY291cnNlLCB0aGUgc3BhcmsgcGx1Z3Mu
DQoNCkdlbw0K

--_000_BLUPR0501MB1060BA245C1EACDA7CBA6F9AFEED0BLUPR0501MB1060_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_000_BLUPR0501MB1060BA245C1EACDA7CBA6F9AFEED0BLUPR0501MB1060_--

--===============9041389080758791940==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============9041389080758791940==--