Subject: [TR] K&N Filters

From: George Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 22:12:54 -0400

--===============3087163471737326422==
	boundary="----=_Part_19159_103817627.1536977574487"

------=_Part_19159_103817627.1536977574487
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

For my TR4A with HS6's I bought a pair of K&N filters that are offset up about one inch.  That is, the mounting holes are not on the centerline of the filter.  Tons of room under them to clear the fender!  One has to look closely to see the difference.  I may have bought them directly from K&N; maybe from APT.
George

> Are the filter-mounting holes the same distance/dimension on 
> the HS6 and the H6 carbs?

Yes, at least for the TR4A version of HS6.  (But some HS6 apparently use 3
filter mounting bolts.)  I run HS6 paper element filters on my TR3 with H6
carbs.

However, they don't clear the inner fenders.  Even after some massage with a
BFH, the bottom of the front filter is crushed from hitting the fender as
the engine moves around on it's mounts.  I also had to re-route the fuel
lines.

My long-term plan is to make up some mounting plates to use TR6-style filter
elements.  I found some nice chrome covers from Mr. Gasket that should look
nice.  But that's a back-burner project (and at this point, I think my pilot
light has gone out).

-- Randall  

K&N filter that is 1 3/4 inch think clear the inner fender on my TR3A.
Rye
Rye
PH: 530-FIND-RYE

On Sep 14, 2018, at 04:50 AM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

Are the filter-mounting holes the same distance/dimension on
the HS6 and the H6 carbs?

Yes, at least for the TR4A version of HS6. (But some HS6 apparently use 3
filter mounting bolts.) I run HS6 paper element filters on my TR3 with H6
carbs.

However, they don't clear the inner fenders. Even after some massage with a
BFH, the bottom of the front filter is crushed from hitting the fender as
the engine moves around on it's mounts. I also had to re-route the fuel
lines.

My long-term plan is to make up some mounting plates to use TR6-style filter
elements. I found some nice chrome covers from Mr. Gasket that should look
nice. But that's a back-burner project (and at this point, I think my pilot
light has gone out).

-- Randall 

------=_Part_19159_103817627.1536977574487
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='2' face='arial'>
<div style="font-family:helvetica,arial;font-size:10pt;color:black">For my TR4A with HS6's I bought a pair of K&amp;N filters that are offset up about one inch. &nbsp;That is, the mounting holes are not on the centerline of the filter. &nbsp;Tons of room under them to clear the fender! &nbsp;One has to look closely to see the difference. &nbsp;I may have bought them directly from K&amp;N; maybe from APT.</div>

<div style="font-family:helvetica,arial;font-size:10pt;color:black">George<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
&gt; Are the filter-mounting holes the same distance/dimension on <br>
&gt; the HS6 and the H6 carbs?<br>
<br>
Yes, at least for the TR4A version of HS6.  (But some HS6 apparently use 3<br>
filter mounting bolts.)  I run HS6 paper element filters on my TR3 with H6<br>
carbs.<br>
<br>
However, they don't clear the inner fenders.  Even after some massage with a<br>
BFH, the bottom of the front filter is crushed from hitting the fender as<br>
the engine moves around on it's mounts.  I also had to re-route the fuel<br>
lines.<br>
<br>
My long-term plan is to make up some mounting plates to use TR6-style filter<br>
elements.  I found some nice chrome covers from Mr. Gasket that should look<br>
nice.  But that's a back-burner project (and at this point, I think my pilot<br>
light has gone out).<br>
<br>
-- Randall  <br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
K&amp;N filter that is 1 3/4 inch think clear the inner fender on my TR3A.<br>
Rye<br>
Rye<br>
PH: 530-FIND-RYE<br>
<br>
On Sep 14, 2018, at 04:50 AM, Randall &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
<br>
Are the filter-mounting holes the same distance/dimension on<br>
the HS6 and the H6 carbs?<br>
<br>
Yes, at least for the TR4A version of HS6. (But some HS6 apparently use 3<br>
filter mounting bolts.) I run HS6 paper element filters on my TR3 with H6<br>
carbs.<br>
<br>
However, they don't clear the inner fenders. Even after some massage with a<br>
BFH, the bottom of the front filter is crushed from hitting the fender as<br>
the engine moves around on it's mounts. I also had to re-route the fuel<br>
lines.<br>
<br>
My long-term plan is to make up some mounting plates to use TR6-style filter<br>
elements. I found some nice chrome covers from Mr. Gasket that should look<br>
nice. But that's a back-burner project (and at this point, I think my pilot<br>
light has gone out).<br>
<br>
-- Randall <br>
<br>
</div>
</font>
------=_Part_19159_103817627.1536977574487--

--===============3087163471737326422==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3087163471737326422==--