Subject: Re: [TR] Setting valves Procedure

From: David P <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:59:55 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2662917096593894227==
 boundary="------------C622C7BB2E8DD01351908F1C"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------C622C7BB2E8DD01351908F1C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

level ground, 4th gear, push it... easy.. no tools.

On 9/19/2018 9:24 AM, Rye Livingston wrote:
> I'm running the billet harmonic balancer crank pulley, skinny belts 
> and an electric fan - so no hand crank.  I use a spanner on the bolt 
> holding the pulley on to the crank.  To make it easier, I bought this 
> ratcheting box wrench that has a pivot head.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F511ZMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
> I can get about half the box over the bolt, but that's enough, and 
> with the plugs out I can rotate the engine pretty easily and efficiently.
>
> Rye
>
>
>
>
> On Sep 19, 2018, at 07:38 AM, Geo Hahn <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Note that there is a typo in those Haynes instructions... the 4th 
>> line down under check & adjust should be 'Valve No,*2*'.
>>
>>
>>
>> The chart does make the 'Rule of 9' quite apparent.
>>
>> If you have a hand crank it greatly simplifies the process.
>>
>> Probably mentioned somewhere but having the plugs out is also helpful.
>>
>> Geo
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:07 PM, Rye Livingston <[email-masked] 
>>
>>     Paul,
>>
>>     The instructions in the manual are easier to follow, but yeah,
>>     pretty much the same.  I went into my garage and snapped a photo
>>     of the instructions in the Haynes Manual that I follow.
>>
>>     Rye
>>
>>
>>     On Sep 18, 2018, at 07:53 PM, Paul Dorsey <[email-masked]
>>
>>>     RYE, is your method of adjusting valves consistent with Alex’s?
>>>     I suspect they are the same
>>>
>>>     On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:56 PM Alex & Janet Thomson
>>>
>>>         Except for small, air-cooled engines that may have an
>>>         automatic compression release mechanism built into the cam
>>>         shaft (either in the cam grind or as a centrifugal device),
>>>         I always taught my shop students that you can never go wrong
>>>         by bringing each cylinder up to TDC-compression and then
>>>         adjust the valves for that cylinder. There are often a
>>>         variety of short-cuts where a manufacturer will tell you to
>>>         adjust certain valves at TDC - Compression of #1 cylinder
>>>         and then the rest of them at TDC – Exhaust #1 cylinder but
>>>         those are engine specific. Most 4 cylinder engines have a
>>>         firing order of 1-3-4-2, so if you see “valve rock” (exhaust
>>>         closing, intake opening) on # 1 cylinder, you know that #4
>>>         is at TDC – compression and its valves can be adjusted.
>>>         Then, turn the crankshaft a half turn ( total number of
>>>         cylinders divided by 2), and adjust the next cylinder in the
>>>         firing order which would be #2. Then 1. Then 3. Distributor
>>>         rotor position on a gas engine will help you figure out who
>>>         is at TDC – compression. Diesels don’t have that option,
>>>         other than pump timing marks for #1 cylinder. Look in your
>>>         shop manual for details.
>>>
>>>         Alex Thomson
>>>
>>>         *From:*Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]
>>>         *Paul Dorsey
>>>         *Sent:* Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:33 PM
>>>         *To:* Triumph list Team.net <http://Team.net>
>>>         *Subject:* [TR] Setting valves Procedure
>>>
>>>          Is there a universally excepted method by which to  adjust
>>>         the  valves for A  TR three? I know when I asked about this
>>>          before that Randall sent me a link to a bunch of articles
>>>         but I don’t think any of them  concern setting The valves. 
>>>         Where can I learn to do this?
>>>
>>>         Thanks, Paul Dorsey TR three 1960
>>>
>>>
>>>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>>>     <http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>>>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
>>>     <http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs> http://www.team.net/archive
>>>
>>>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>>>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>>>     <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>
>>
>>
>>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>>     <http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
>>     <http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs> http://www.team.net/archive
>>
>>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>>     <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]>
>>
>>
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

--------------C622C7BB2E8DD01351908F1C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>level ground, 4th gear, push it... easy.. no tools.<br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/19/2018 9:24 AM, Rye Livingston
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div>I'm running the billet harmonic balancer crank pulley, skinny
        belts and an electric fan - so no hand crank.  I use a spanner
        on the bolt holding the pulley on to the crank.  To make it
        easier, I bought this ratcheting box wrench that has a pivot
        head.</div>
      <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
      </div>
      <div><a
href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F511ZMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1"
          moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F511ZMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1</a></div>
      <div><br data-mce-bogus="1">
      </div>
      <div>I can get about half the box over the bolt, but that's
        enough, and with the plugs out I can rotate the engine
        pretty easily and efficiently.</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div class="x-apple-signature">Rye<br>
        <br>
      </div>
      <div class="x-apple-signature"><br data-mce-bogus="1">
      </div>
      <div class="x-apple-signature"><br data-mce-bogus="1">
      </div>
      <div><br>
        On Sep 19, 2018, at 07:38 AM, Geo Hahn
        <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
        <br>
      </div>
      <div>
        <blockquote type="cite">
          <div class="msg-quote">
            <div dir="ltr">Note that there is a typo in those Haynes
              instructions... the 4th line down under check &amp; adjust
              should be 'Valve No,<b> 2</b>'.
              <div><br>
              </div>
              <div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>The chart does make the 'Rule of 9' quite apparent.</div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>If you have a hand crank it greatly simplifies the
                  process.</div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>Probably mentioned somewhere but having the plugs
                  out is also helpful.</div>
                <div><br>
                </div>
                <div>Geo</div>
              </div>
            </div>
            <div class="gmail_extra"><br>
              <div class="gmail_quote">On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:07 PM,
                Rye Livingston <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                    href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    data-mce-href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span>
                wrote:<br>
                <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin: 0 0 0
                  .8ex; border-left: 1px #ccc solid; padding-left: 1ex;"
                  data-mce-style="margin: 0 0 0 .8ex; border-left: 1px
                  #ccc solid; padding-left: 1ex;">
                  <div>
                    <div>Paul,</div>
                    <div><br>
                    </div>
                    <div>The instructions in the manual are easier to
                      follow, but yeah, pretty much the same.  I went
                      into my garage and snapped a photo of the
                      instructions in the Haynes Manual that I follow.</div>
                    <div><br>
                    </div>
                    <div>Rye</div>
                    <div><br>
                    </div>
                    <div>
                      <div>
                        <div class="h5"><br>
                          On Sep 18, 2018, at 07:53 PM, Paul Dorsey &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            data-mce-href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br>
                          <br>
                        </div>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                    <div>
                      <blockquote type="cite">
                        <div class="m_-3415474314516045236msg-quote">
                          <div>
                            <div class="h5">
                              <div>
                                <div dir="auto">RYE, is your method of
                                  adjusting valves consistent with
                                  Alex’s? I suspect they are the same</div>
                              </div>
                              <div><br>
                                <div class="gmail_quote">
                                  <div dir="ltr">On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at
                                    8:56 PM Alex &amp; Janet Thomson
                                    &lt;<a
                                      href="mailto:[email-masked]"
data-mce-href="mailto:[email-masked]" moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                                    wrote:<br>
                                  </div>
                                  <blockquote class="gmail_quote"
                                    style="margin: 0 0 0 .8ex;
                                    border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
                                    padding-left: 1ex;"
                                    data-mce-style="margin: 0 0 0 .8ex;
                                    border-left: 1px #ccc solid;
                                    padding-left: 1ex;">
                                    <div lang="EN-US">
                                      <div
                                        class="m_-3415474314516045236m_6484643244353851995WordSection1">
                                        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
                                            style="font-family:
                                            'Calibri','sans-serif';
                                            color: #1f497d;"
                                            data-mce-style="font-family:
                                            'Calibri','sans-serif';
                                            color: #1f497d;">Except for
                                            small, air-cooled engines
                                            that may have an automatic
                                            compression release
                                            mechanism built into the cam
                                            shaft (either in the cam
                                            grind or as a centrifugal
                                            device), I always taught my
                                            shop students that you can
                                            never go wrong by bringing
                                            each cylinder up to
                                            TDC-compression and then
                                            adjust the valves for that
                                            cylinder. There are often a
                                            variety of short-cuts where
                                            a manufacturer will tell you
                                            to adjust certain valves at
                                            TDC - Compression of #1
                                            cylinder and then the rest
                                            of them at TDC – Exhaust #1
                                            cylinder but those are
                                            engine specific. Most 4
                                            cylinder engines have a
                                            firing order of 1-3-4-2, so
                                            if you see “valve rock”
                                            (exhaust closing, intake
                                            opening) on # 1 cylinder,
                                            you know that #4 is at TDC –
                                            compression and its valves
                                            can be adjusted. Then, turn
                                            the crankshaft a half turn (
                                            total number of cylinders
                                            divided by 2), and adjust
                                            the next cylinder in the
                                            firing order which would be
                                            #2. Then 1. Then 3. 
                                            Distributor rotor position
                                            on a gas engine will help
                                            you figure out who is at TDC
                                            – compression. Diesels don’t
                                            have that option, other than
                                            pump timing marks for #1
                                            cylinder. Look in your shop
                                            manual for details.</span></p>
                                        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
                                            style="font-family:
                                            'Calibri','sans-serif';
                                            color: #1f497d;"
                                            data-mce-style="font-family:
                                            'Calibri','sans-serif';
                                            color: #1f497d;"> </span></p>
                                        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
                                            style="font-family:
                                            'Calibri','sans-serif';
                                            color: #1f497d;"
                                            data-mce-style="font-family:
                                            'Calibri','sans-serif';
                                            color: #1f497d;">Alex
                                            Thomson</span></p>
                                        <p class="MsoNormal"><span
                                            style="font-family:
                                            'Calibri','sans-serif';
                                            color: #1f497d;"
                                            data-mce-style="font-family:
                                            'Calibri','sans-serif';
                                            color: #1f497d;"> </span></p>
                                        <p class="MsoNormal"><b><span
                                              style="font-size: 10.0pt;
                                              font-family:
                                              'Tahoma','sans-serif';"
                                              data-mce-style="font-size:
                                              10.0pt; font-family:
                                              'Tahoma','sans-serif';">From:</span></b><span
                                            style="font-size: 10.0pt;
                                            font-family:
                                            'Tahoma','sans-serif';"
                                            data-mce-style="font-size:
                                            10.0pt; font-family:
                                            'Tahoma','sans-serif';">
                                            Triumphs [mailto:<a
                                              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
data-mce-href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                                              moz-do-not-send="true">triumphs-bounces@<wbr>autox.team.net</a>]
                                            <b>On Behalf Of </b>Paul
                                            Dorsey<br>
                                            <b>Sent:</b> Tuesday,
                                            September 18, 2018 6:33 PM<br>
                                            <b>To:</b> Triumph list <a
                                              href="http://Team.net"
                                              data-mce-href="http://Team.net"
                                              moz-do-not-send="true">Team.net</a><br>
                                            <b>Subject:</b> [TR] Setting
                                            valves Procedure</span></p>
                                      </div>
                                    </div>
                                    <div lang="EN-US">
                                      <div
                                        class="m_-3415474314516045236m_6484643244353851995WordSection1">
                                        <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
                                        <div>
                                          <p class="MsoNormal"> Is there
                                            a universally excepted
                                            method by which to  adjust
                                            the  valves for A  TR three?
                                            I know when I asked about
                                            this  before that Randall
                                            sent me a link to a bunch of
                                            articles but I don’t think
                                            any of them  concern setting
                                            The valves.  Where can I
                                            learn to do this?</p>
                                        </div>
                                        <div>
                                          <p class="MsoNormal"> </p>
                                        </div>
                                        <div>
                                          <p class="MsoNormal">Thanks,
                                            Paul Dorsey TR three 1960</p>
                                        </div>
                                      </div>
                                    </div>
                                  </blockquote>
                                </div>
                              </div>
                            </div>
                          </div>
                          <div class="m_-3415474314516045236_stretch"><span
class="m_-3415474314516045236body-text-content">** <a
                                href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                                data-mce-href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                                moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
                              **<span class=""><br>
                                <br>
                                Donate: <a
                                  href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a><br>
                                Archive: <a
                                  href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                                  moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/<wbr>triumphs</a>
                                <a href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                                  data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                                  moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                                <br>
                                Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
                                  href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
data-mce-href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                                  moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a><br>
                              </span></span></div>
                        </div>
                      </blockquote>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                  <br>
                  ** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    data-mce-href="mailto:[email-masked]"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>
                  **<br>
                  <br>
                  Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                    data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.<wbr>html</a><br>
                  Archive: <a
                    href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                    data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/<wbr>triumphs</a> 
                  <a href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                    data-mce-href="http://www.team.net/archive"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                  <br>
                  Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
data-mce-href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]"
                    moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/triumphs/ahwahneetr@<wbr>gmail.com</a><br>
                  <br>
                </blockquote>
              </div>
              <br>
            </div>
          </div>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World go here: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/">WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>
  <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png" alt=""  width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avg.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--------------C622C7BB2E8DD01351908F1C--

--===============2662917096593894227==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2662917096593894227==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 08:24:27 -0400

> level ground, 4th gear, push it... easy.. no tools.

FWIW, My driveway slopes towards the street, so I usually run the valves in
reverse order.

Also, if you have limited space (like in a garage with the door closed), you
can do a cylinder or two, then knock it out of gear, roll back to the other
end, put back in gear and do the others.

Kind of ironic, for years I had the crank dog available, but no hand crank.
Then after deleting the crank dog, I got several hand cranks in a pile
o'parts.  I've still never been able to hand crank any of my TR3s!  

Did get rather good at push-starting by myself; but that was over 40 years
ago.  I wouldn't want to do it today.

-- Randall

---

From: Michael Marr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 21:59:36 +0000

When my TR was in running condition, I used to hand crank it regularly just to amuse the kids.  They thought it was magic.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2018 8:24 AM
To: 'David P' <[email-masked]>; 'Rye Livingston' <[email-masked]>; 'Geo Hahn' <[email-masked]>
Cc: 'Triumph list Team.net' <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] Setting valves Procedure

> level ground, 4th gear, push it... easy.. no tools.

FWIW, My driveway slopes towards the street, so I usually run the valves in reverse order.

Also, if you have limited space (like in a garage with the door closed), you can do a cylinder or two, then knock it out of gear, roll back to the other end, put back in gear and do the others.

Kind of ironic, for years I had the crank dog available, but no hand crank.
Then after deleting the crank dog, I got several hand cranks in a pile o'parts.  I've still never been able to hand crank any of my TR3s!  

Did get rather good at push-starting by myself; but that was over 40 years ago.  I wouldn't want to do it today.

-- Randall

---

From: "Keith Stewart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 19:57:22 -0400 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0881_01D4511C.2564E390"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0881_01D4511C.2564E390
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Haven't done a push start since this:

-----Original Message-----

-- Randall  

------=_NextPart_000_0881_01D4511C.2564E390
	name="Plate03.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Plate03.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0881_01D4511C.2564E390
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------=_NextPart_000_0881_01D4511C.2564E390--