Subject: [TR] Runs hot

From: Ann Carletta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 23:10:28 +0000 (UTC)

--===============3741521577499982061==
	boundary="----=_Part_618088_1064910994.1538089828568"

------=_Part_618088_1064910994.1538089828568
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi to all.
I've been driving the TR3a lately in NJ and NY. Always traffic and the temp=
erature climbs.=C2=A0 Anything I can do to keep it down?=C2=A0 Any additive=
s?=C2=A0 Better radiator fluid?=C2=A0 Should I check anything that could be=
 causing this?
Ann1960 TR31965 Daimler

------=_Part_618088_1064910994.1538089828568
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetic=
a, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;"><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetica N=
eue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;">Hi to all.</div><div sty=
le=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16=
px;"><br></div><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, =
sans-serif;font-size:16px;">I've been driving the TR3a lately in NJ and NY.=
 Always traffic and the temperature climbs.&nbsp; Anything I can do to keep=
 it down?&nbsp; Any additives?&nbsp; Better radiator fluid?&nbsp; Should I =
check anything that could be causing this?</div><div style=3D"font-family:H=
elvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;"><br></div><div=
 style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-siz=
e:16px;">Ann</div><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Aria=
l, sans-serif;font-size:16px;">1960 TR3</div><div style=3D"font-family:Helv=
etica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;">1965 Daimler<br><=
/div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_618088_1064910994.1538089828568--

--===============3741521577499982061==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3741521577499982061==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 22:07:26 -0400

> I've been driving the TR3a lately in NJ and NY. Always 
> traffic and the temperature climbs.  Anything I can do to 
> keep it down?  Any additives?  Better radiator fluid?  Should 
> I check anything that could be causing this?

Unfortunately, there are many possibilities.  The TR cooling system is also
kind of marginal in stop-and-go traffic, so what you are seeing may be
normal.

One thing that may help is to run less anti-freeze.  Using 2:1
water/antifreeze will still provide freeze protection down to 0F (-18C), but
better heat transfer than the recommended 50/50.

Make sure your cardboard shroud (between grill and radiator) is in place.

Check your grille against the dimensions here:
http://www.tr3a.info/FAQ_grill.html

Redline "Water wetter" may also help.

What many folks have done is modify the car to create more airflow when not
moving (or moving slowly).  Using a plastic fan with more pitch from a later
Triumph is popular; or what I did was to remove the mechanical fan and
install an electric fan in its place.  (I made a few other mods, but IMO the
fan was the magic bullet.)

-- Randall