Subject: [TR] Non Triumph alternator question

From: Sujit Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 09:54:55 -0700

--===============7313851908897389540==

--0000000000002f3f5a0575873897

I have a Honda Mini Van from 2007.

The car wouldn't start  The AAA guy who came out said the battery is on its
way out. The battery is almost 3 yrs old.

This Sunday I got stranded again. AAA did a battery test and says the
battery as well as the alternator is on its way

I asked him the changed the battery. They have a deal ($150 plus 3 yr
warranty + an additional 3 year prorated)

The question is, on modern cars do alternators partially work? I would
think they work or don't and nothing in between.

However, on Triumph with external regular, ive heard the diodes become
leaky and the alternator partially works.

Sujit

-- 
Sujit Roy
Cupertino, California

https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/

--0000000000002f3f5a0575873897
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I have a Honda Mini Van from 2007.=C2=A0<div><br></div><di=
v>The car wouldn&#39;t start=C2=A0 The AAA guy who came out said the batter=
y is on its way out. The battery is almost 3 yrs old.</div><div><br></div><=
div>This Sunday I got stranded again. AAA did a battery test and says the b=
attery as well as the alternator is on its way=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><d=
iv>I asked him the changed the battery. They have a deal ($150 plus 3 yr wa=
rranty=C2=A0+ an additional 3 year prorated)=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div=
>The question is, on modern cars do alternators partially work? I would thi=
nk they work or don&#39;t and nothing in between.=C2=A0</div><div><br></div=
><div><br></div><div>However, on Triumph with external regular, ive heard t=
he diodes become leaky and the alternator partially works.</div><div><br></=
div><div>Sujit</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><div><br></div>-- <b=
r><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signat=
ure"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Sujit Roy<br>Cupertino, California</div><div><br=
><a href=3D"https://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/" target=3D"_blank">https=
://triumphstagblog.wordpress.com/</a><br><br></div></div></div></div></div>

--0000000000002f3f5a0575873897--

--===============7313851908897389540==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7313851908897389540==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 12:28:45 -0400

> The question is, on modern cars do alternators partially 
> work? I would think they work or don't and nothing in between. 
> 

Yes, modern cars can suffer the same ailment.  A bad diode will reduce the
maximum current by about 2/3.  The alternators still work the same, whether
the regulator is outside the case or inside.

However, I have to say I don't have a lot of faith in what AAA says.  I've
had them try to sell me a battery several times when there was nothing wrong
with the one I had (except being discharged).  Of course, batteries are
ALWAYS "on the way out"; they start degrading from the time acid is put in
and degrade a bit more with every cycle.

Costco has a much better deal on batteries (if they carry the one you need).
I don't know what the limit is; but they replaced a 4 year old battery for
me, for $5 (the core charge went up).  Not the battery warranty, but their
"customer satisfaction" guarantee.  (Return the battery to customer service,
not the battery/tire department.)

-- Randall