Subject: Re: [TR] Serious rocker arm misalignment with pishrod

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:47:34 -0400

> Also, could that pushrod be bent or otherwise damaged? Could 
> that valve be sticking in the guide?

Along that line; is it possible that the shop installed bronze valve guides
but didn't ream them oversize?

The need for extra clearance when running bronze (instead of stock cast
iron) guides isn't mentioned in the manuals, easily overlooked by a shop
that doesn't do these engines all the time.

-- Randall  

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs  http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 15:22:28 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_2362728_1863346777.1536592949111
	boundary="----=_Part_2362723_504363519.1536592948614"

------=_Part_2362723_504363519.1536592948614
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 One thing that raises a red flag for me is the fact that there appears to =
be a double nut on the adjuster for that rocker arm! Something is amiss the=
re!
Also, could that pushrod be bent or otherwise damaged? Could that valve be =
sticking in the guide?

--Andy Mace
=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Dorsey <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, Sep 10, 2018 10:09 am
Subject: [TR] Serious rocker arm misalignment with pishrod

No starting it today!=C2=A0 I took the valve cover off and urgh one of the =
pushrods had been seriously misaligned with it's rocker arm.This engine had=
 been rebuilt by an eengine shopp=C2=A0 (even though it might have been 15 =
years ago!)=C2=A0 so I assumed it had been adjusted too loose, but even aft=
er running 2 nuts itogather, I still couldn't get the pushrod to go under i=
t so I quit.ISTR that this might have been the reason I quit the restoratio=
n 15 years ago.=C2=A0 Im not sure if I=C2=A0 suppose to do this, but I've s=
ent out a picture taken with my Iphone included with this email.=C2=A0 Can =
someone telllll me if THISS ISthat serious or not and how to fix it,it's ov=
er cyllinder two!

------=_Part_2362723_504363519.1536592948614
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<font color='black' size='3' face='Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif'>
<div> <font size="3">One thing that raises a red flag for me is the fact that there appears to be a double nut on the adjuster for that rocker arm! Something is amiss there!</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Also, could that pushrod be bent or otherwise damaged? Could that valve be sticking in the guide?<br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">--Andy Mace</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Paul Dorsey &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Mon, Sep 10, 2018 10:09 am<br>
Subject: [TR] Serious rocker arm misalignment with pishrod<br>
<br>

<div id="yiv5646785201">
<div>
<div dir="ltr">
<div dir="ltr">No starting it today!&nbsp; I took the valve cover off and urgh one of the pushrods had been seriously misaligned with it's rocker arm.This engine had been rebuilt by an eengine shop
<div><img yahoo_partid="1.2" style="max-width:100%;" src="cid:II3JV5pxAyDacDPQ8QHc"></div>
p&nbsp; (even though it might have been 15 years ago!)&nbsp; so I assumed it had been adjusted too loose, but even after running 2 nuts itogather, I still couldn't get the pushrod to go under it so I quit.</div>

<div>ISTR that this might have been the reason I quit the restoration 15 years ago.&nbsp; Im not sure if I&nbsp; suppose to do this, but I've sent out a picture taken with my Iphone included with this email.&nbsp; Can someone telllll me if THISS ISthat serious or not and how to fix it,it's over cyllinder two!<br>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</font>
------=_Part_2362723_504363519.1536592948614--

------=_Part_2362728_1863346777.1536592949111
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="IMG_0057.jpg"
Content-ID: <II3JV5pxAyDacDPQ8QHc>

------=_Part_2362728_1863346777.1536592949111
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------=_Part_2362728_1863346777.1536592949111--