Subject: [TR] Fwd: TR3 choke

From: David Griffiths <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 19:54:45 +0200

--===============4152987961293299531==

--Apple-Mail=_D448CDDB-06E9-4AEE-8D97-73B019CD33B7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

> Begin forwarded message:
>=20
> From: George Richardson <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [TR] TR3 choke
> Date: 26 September 2016 at 17:28:10 GMT+2
> To: Triumphs <[email-masked]>
>=20
> Just looking at my choke mechanism. I always thought that the arms =
that withdraw the jet assembly on my car were worn, as the holes that =
they pivot on are way oversize. Buy I just looked at another assembly I =
had lying around and that one also has oversize holes.
>=20
> Are they supposed to be like that? It doesn't seem like the choke =
works very well.
>=20
Mine are the same. The choke cable pulls on the front jet lever of =
course. If you adjust the jet connecting rod assembly so that it is hard =
against the front edge of the jet lever hole for the front jet, and the =
rear edge of the jet lever hole of the rear jet, then there should not =
be any slack and both should work together. But yeah, there are some big =
holes in the jet levers. The other thing that seems a bit nuts is the =
cable clamp pin that the choke cable attaches to. It sticks way out and =
twists a bit before the jet levers start to move. So the initial part of =
the choke cable movement has to take up the slack in that before the =
actual jets start to move down. The nut for jamming the choke cable in =
that pin - you have nothing to hold it - no hex surface for a spanner, =
at least on mine, so adjusting the choke cable is not easy. But just put =
a wider-than-normal clothes peg under the choke button and problem =
solved!

Dave=

--Apple-Mail=_D448CDDB-06E9-4AEE-8D97-73B019CD33B7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" =
class=3D""><div class=3D"">Begin forwarded message:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;" class=3D""><span=
 style=3D"font-family: -webkit-system-font, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, =
sans-serif; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);" class=3D""><b class=3D"">From: =
</b></span><span style=3D"font-family: -webkit-system-font, Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif;" class=3D"">George Richardson &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br =
class=3D""></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: -webkit-system-font, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, =
sans-serif; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);" class=3D""><b class=3D"">Subject: =
</b></span><span style=3D"font-family: -webkit-system-font, Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif;" class=3D""><b class=3D"">[TR] TR3 =
choke</b><br class=3D""></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;" class=3D""><span=
 style=3D"font-family: -webkit-system-font, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, =
sans-serif; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);" class=3D""><b class=3D"">Date: =
</b></span><span style=3D"font-family: -webkit-system-font, Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif;" class=3D"">26 September 2016 at 17:28:10 =
GMT+2<br class=3D""></span></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;" class=3D""><span=
 style=3D"font-family: -webkit-system-font, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, =
sans-serif; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);" class=3D""><b class=3D"">To: =
</b></span><span style=3D"font-family: -webkit-system-font, Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif;" class=3D"">Triumphs &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br class=3D""></span></div><br =
class=3D""><div class=3D""><div class=3D"">Just looking at my choke =
mechanism. I always thought that the arms that withdraw the jet assembly =
on my car were worn, as the holes that they pivot on are way oversize. =
Buy I just looked at another assembly I had lying around and that one =
also has oversize holes.<br class=3D""><br class=3D"">Are they supposed =
to be like that? It doesn't seem like the choke works very well.<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></div></blockquote></div>Mine are the =
same. The choke cable pulls on the front jet lever of course. If you =
adjust the jet connecting rod assembly so that it is hard against the =
front edge of the jet lever hole for the front jet, and the rear edge of =
the jet lever hole of the rear jet, then there should not be any slack =
and both should work together. But yeah, there are some big holes in the =
jet levers. The other thing that seems a bit nuts is the cable clamp pin =
that the choke cable attaches to. It sticks way out and twists a bit =
before the jet levers start to move. So the initial part of the choke =
cable movement has to take up the slack in that before the actual jets =
start to move down. The nut for jamming the choke cable in that pin - =
you have nothing to hold it - no hex surface for a spanner, at least on =
mine, so adjusting the choke cable is not easy. But just put a =
wider-than-normal clothes peg under the choke button and problem =
solved!<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Dave</div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_D448CDDB-06E9-4AEE-8D97-73B019CD33B7--

--===============4152987961293299531==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4152987961293299531==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:12:23 -0700

> Just looking at my choke mechanism. I always thought that the arms that
> withdraw the jet assembly on my car were worn, as the holes that they
> pivot on are way oversize. Buy I just looked at another assembly I had
> lying around and that one also has oversize holes.
> 
> Are they supposed to be like that? It doesn't seem like the choke works
> very well.

Yes, I believe the oversize holes are deliberate.  The lost motion allows
the fast idle cam to move some distance before the jets start moving.  This
is a common feature of most carbs with manual chokes, as there is a point
during engine warmup where it doesn't need extra fuel, just some extra air
to idle smoothly.

Of course, you can have wear on top of the original hole size, but it's
usually fairly obvious.  The wear will be in only a limited area, and a
smaller radius than the original hole.

There are several odd things about the TR3 choke linkage, especially
mounting the link off to one side instead of straddling the levers.  I've
also found that replacement jets are frequently not polished, which leads to
both hard choke operation and rapid seal wear.  Oddly enough, the gland
springs are important too, I have no idea why new ones aren't included with
the rebuild kit but IMO they should be replaced as part of a major rebuild.

But when all is right, it actually seems to work pretty good, for me.  A bit
more force than butterfly type chokes typically need, but not too much.

Randall

PS, here's a photo enlarged from "Practical Hints" showing the correct link
arrangement.
http://tinyurl.com/havtx9b

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 14:31:10 -0500

George,
Yes, they are supposed to be that way.  Maybe Jonmac or Randall can explain the logic.   

As for the tubes not raising back into place as they should, two things that I always look at first are the springs in good tension and then remove the tubes(minding to keep the same tube with it's carb) and polish them with 4/0 steel wool.   If the jets are not centered this could hold the tubes out as well

All the best,
Bill B
TS30800L

Sent from my Altair 8800

On Sep 26, 2016, at 10:28 AM, George Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote:

Just looking at my choke mechanism. I always thought that the arms that withdraw the jet assembly on my car were worn, as the holes that they pivot on are way oversize. Buy I just looked at another assembly I had lying around and that one also has oversize holes.

Are they supposed to be like that? It doesn't seem like the choke works very well.

-- 
George Richardson
Key Men - Keys for Classics
www.key-men.com

1957 Triumph TR3
1961 Jaguar Mark 2
1975 Triumph TR6
1997 Land Rover Discovery