Subject: [TR] TR6 Timing Chain

From: "Bill Brewer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 21:09:38 -0700

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6055369147689680529==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000F_01D21127.CD868E70"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01D21127.CD868E70
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

     My daughter was tearing around in the TR6 and it made a loud sound and
then stopped. There was no spark. I was testing for spark and I noticed that
the distributor shaft wasn't turning while the engine was cranking. I popped
the valve cover and none of the valves move when the engine is cranking.
Just great. Hopefully it is just a timing chain. I can see the fan turning
while the engine cranks, so I know that the crank is turning. I have the
grill, shroud and radiator out and am working on the front crossmember,
which has probably never been removed. I hope to get to the timing cover
tomorrow night to see what delights await.

     I have various questions:

     Is the TR6 engine free turning or is it an interference engine? I am
wondering if the valves hit the pistons.

     Is the heavy-duty timing chain that Moss sells worth it?

     The radiator doesn't have a petcock. I am thinking of having one
soldered in. I don't see a boss (deliberate flat mounting spot) on the
bottom backside of the radiator. Can I just have a radiator shop solder a
threaded petcock base on?

     I am in the martially precarious predicament where I have four British
cars that all need lots of love. Two are driving, but have issues. My wife
wants to throttle me for sequestering myself in the garage.

     -Bill

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01D21127.CD868E70
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><font =
size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My daughter was =
tearing around in the TR6 and it made a loud sound and then stopped. =
There was no spark. I was testing for spark and I noticed that the =
distributor shaft wasn&#8217;t turning while the engine was cranking. I =
popped the valve cover and none of the valves move when the engine is =
cranking. Just great&#8230; Hopefully it is just a timing chain. I can =
see the fan turning while the engine cranks, so I know that the crank is =
turning. I have the grill, shroud and radiator out and am working on the =
front crossmember, which has probably never been removed. I hope to get =
to the timing cover tomorrow night to see what delights =
await.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
I have various questions:<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is the TR6 engine =
free turning or is it an interference engine? I am wondering if the =
valves hit the pistons.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is the heavy-duty =
timing chain that Moss sells worth it?<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The radiator =
doesn&#8217;t have a petcock. I am thinking of having one soldered in. I =
don&#8217;t see a boss (deliberate flat mounting spot) on the bottom =
backside of the radiator. Can I just have a radiator shop solder a =
threaded petcock base on?<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am in the =
martially precarious predicament where I have four British cars that all =
need lots of love. Two are driving, but have issues. My wife wants to =
throttle me for sequestering myself in the =
garage.<o:p></o:p></span></font></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 =
face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
-Bill<o:p></o:p></span></font></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_000F_01D21127.CD868E70--

--===============6055369147689680529==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============6055369147689680529==--