Subject: Re: [TR] Stag Stuck in Gear!

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 20:45:12 -0500

--===============7267955609488383713==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-C6A27A84-8FDC-4F1C-B30B-D2675D42EA69
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-C6A27A84-8FDC-4F1C-B30B-D2675D42EA69
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I think my first, and easiest, effort would be have a couple of guys rock th=
e car gently back and forth whilst a third person attempts to dislodge the s=
hifter.=20

Doesn't sound like a clutch problem. =20

Good luck,
Bill B

Sent from my Altair 8800

On Sep 14, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Lee&John Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:

The Stag is in the paint shop for the finishing touches, and while moving th=
e car about the shifter jammed up somewhere between reverse and neutral. The=
 clutch seems operative because when depressed the car will roll. Any ideas a=
s to how to pop the tranny into neutral? The old-timee shop owner suggests s=
tarting the car then pushing it hard and releasing the clutch. Or, perhaps t=
he clutch needs just a little more throw, with adjustment at the lever?

This is particularly frustrating and surprising because the transmission was=
 lovely and smooth - better than any TR i've ever owned.
Thanks for your help

John Howard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
ash.net

--Apple-Mail-C6A27A84-8FDC-4F1C-B30B-D2675D42EA69
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div><div style="direction: inherit;">I think my first, and easiest, effort would be have a couple of guys rock the car gently back and forth whilst a third person attempts to dislodge the shifter.&nbsp;</div><div style="direction: inherit;"><br></div><div style="direction: inherit;">Doesn't sound like a clutch problem. &nbsp;</div><div style="direction: inherit;"><br></div><div style="direction: inherit;">Good luck,</div><div style="direction: inherit;">Bill B</div><br>Sent from my&nbsp;<span style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">Altair 8800</span></div><div><br>On Sep 14, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Lee&amp;John Howard &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div><div dir="ltr"><div>The Stag is in the paint shop for the finishing touches, and while 
moving the car about the shifter jammed up somewhere between reverse and
 neutral. The clutch seems operative because when depressed the car will
 roll. Any ideas as to how to pop the tranny into neutral?  The 
old-timee shop owner suggests starting the car then pushing it hard  and
 releasing the clutch. Or, perhaps the clutch needs just a little more 
throw, with adjustment at the lever?<br>
<br>
This is particularly frustrating and surprising because the transmission
 was lovely and smooth - better than any TR i've ever owned.<br>
Thanks for your help<br><br></div>John Howard<br><div><br>
</div></div>
</div><div><span></span><br><span>** <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **</span><br><span></span><br><span>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br><span>Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span>Forums: <a href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a></span><br></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-C6A27A84-8FDC-4F1C-B30B-D2675D42EA69--

--===============7267955609488383713==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7267955609488383713==--

---

From: "Kinderlehrer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:43:30 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============4769677866652894247==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0094_01D20EC0.456125F0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0094_01D20EC0.456125F0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I am not familiar with Stags. But, assuming it=E2=80=99s a manual =
transmission whenever I=E2=80=99ve had similar problems, it was linkage =
jamming. I would get underneath and move the levers around =E2=80=98till =
it was in neutral and then it was good to go.

=20

Bob

=20

From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of =
Lee&John Howard
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:37 PM
To: triumph list list
Subject: [TR] Stag Stuck in Gear!

=20

The Stag is in the paint shop for the finishing touches, and while =
moving the car about the shifter jammed up somewhere between reverse and =
neutral. The clutch seems operative because when depressed the car will =
roll. Any ideas as to how to pop the tranny into neutral? The old-timee =
shop owner suggests starting the car then pushing it hard and releasing =
the clutch. Or, perhaps the clutch needs just a little more throw, with =
adjustment at the lever?

This is particularly frustrating and surprising because the transmission =
was lovely and smooth - better than any TR i've ever owned.
Thanks for your help

John Howard

=20

------=_NextPart_000_0094_01D20EC0.456125F0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>I am not familiar with Stags. But, assuming it=E2=80=99s a manual =
transmission whenever I=E2=80=99ve had similar problems, it was linkage =
jamming. I would get underneath and move the levers around =E2=80=98till =
it was in neutral and then it was good to go.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'>Bob<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#1F497=
D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>Lee&amp;John Howard<br><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, September 14, 2016 =
1:37 PM<br><b>To:</b> triumph list list<br><b>Subject:</b> [TR] Stag =
Stuck in Gear!<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>The Stag is in the paint shop for the =
finishing touches, and while moving the car about the shifter jammed up =
somewhere between reverse and neutral. The clutch seems operative =
because when depressed the car will roll. Any ideas as to how to pop the =
tranny into neutral? The old-timee shop owner suggests starting the car =
then pushing it hard and releasing the clutch. Or, perhaps the clutch =
needs just a little more throw, with adjustment at the =
lever?<br><br>This is particularly frustrating and surprising because =
the transmission was lovely and smooth - better than any TR i've ever =
owned.<br>Thanks for your help<o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>John Howard<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0094_01D20EC0.456125F0--

--===============4769677866652894247==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============4769677866652894247==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:55:54 -0700

> The Stag is in the paint shop for the finishing touches, and while moving
> the car about the shifter jammed up somewhere between reverse and neutral.
> The clutch seems operative because when depressed the car will roll. Any
> ideas as to how to pop the tranny into neutral? The old-timee shop owner
> suggests starting the car then pushing it hard and releasing the clutch.
> Or, perhaps the clutch needs just a little more throw, with adjustment at
> the lever?

I must be missing something.  If the clutch works, why do you think it is a
clutch problem?

I would check the nut on the side, someone may have loosened it thinking it
was the fill plug or something (it actually retains part of the reverse
shift mechanism).  If so, there is a slim chance that tightening it back up
will pull the lever into place and let you shift out of reverse.

Otherwise, I think it best to disconnect the driveshaft until you can rescue
it from the paint shop on a flatbed.  The "pop the clutch" idea sounds like
a great way to make a bad situation worse!

My sympathies, as IMO pulling the transmission on a Stag is a miserable job.
That's partly why mine has been on jackstands since 2008!

Randall

---

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 11:15:58 -0700

--===============3499842449049052167==

--001a1147fa52ced8c6053c8fd8e8

Thank you Randall, Bob and Bill.

With help from my English "advisors" at the  Stag Owners Club, I worked
from inside t he car, rremoving the console materials that enclose the gear
shifter, and then lifted out the shifter. The gear selector rods were
jammed in mid-position, and it was a simple matter to realign them in
neutral. I then replaced the shifter and its retainer, and shifted easily
throught he gears. Started her up and everything back to normal.

So all is well for the moment. Next question is how to prevent it happening
again. The suspicion is that everything down there is worn, but I',m not
about to remove the whole d--n engine and tranny again to replace the
shifter rods. Maybe a better gear stick would help.

The beats goes on.  Still awaiting that multi-hour comfy ride with my honey.

John

> That's partly why mine has been on jackstands since 2008!

--001a1147fa52ced8c6053c8fd8e8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div><div><div>Thank you Randall, Bob and Bill.<br><b=
r></div>With help from my English &quot;advisors&quot; at the=C2=A0 Stag Ow=
ners Club, I worked from inside t he car, rremoving the console materials t=
hat enclose the gear shifter, and then lifted out the shifter. The gear sel=
ector rods were jammed in mid-position, and it was a simple matter to reali=
gn them in neutral. I then replaced the shifter and its retainer, and shift=
ed easily throught he gears. Started her up and everything back to normal.<=
br><br></div>So all is well for the moment. Next question is how to prevent=
 it happening again. The suspicion is that everything down there is worn, b=
ut I&#39;,m not about to remove the whole d--n engine and tranny again to r=
eplace the shifter rods. Maybe a better gear stick would help. <br><br></di=
v>The beats goes on.=C2=A0 Still awaiting that multi-hour comfy ride with m=
y honey.<br><br></div>John<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div cla=
ss=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Randall <span dir=3D"lt=
r">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">TR3driver@c=
a.rr.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span cl=
ass=3D"">&gt; The Stag is in the paint shop for the finishing touches, and =
while moving<br>
&gt; the car about the shifter jammed up somewhere between reverse and neut=
ral.<br>
&gt; The clutch seems operative because when depressed the car will roll. A=
ny<br>
&gt; ideas as to how to pop the tranny into neutral? The old-timee shop own=
er<br>
&gt; suggests starting the car then pushing it hard and releasing the clutc=
h.<br>
&gt; Or, perhaps the clutch needs just a little more throw, with adjustment=
 at<br>
&gt; the lever?<br>
<br>
</span>I must be missing something.=C2=A0 If the clutch works, why do you t=
hink it is a<br>
clutch problem?<br>
<br>
I would check the nut on the side, someone may have loosened it thinking it=
<br>
was the fill plug or something (it actually retains part of the reverse<br>
shift mechanism).=C2=A0 If so, there is a slim chance that tightening it ba=
ck up<br>
will pull the lever into place and let you shift out of reverse.<br>
<br>
Otherwise, I think it best to disconnect the driveshaft until you can rescu=
e<br>
it from the paint shop on a flatbed.=C2=A0 The &quot;pop the clutch&quot; i=
dea sounds like<br>
a great way to make a bad situation worse!<br>
<br>
My sympathies, as IMO pulling the transmission on a Stag is a miserable job=
.<br>
That&#39;s partly why mine has been on jackstands since 2008!<br>
<span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888"><br>
Randall<br>
<br>
</font></span></blockquote></div><br></div>

--001a1147fa52ced8c6053c8fd8e8--

--===============3499842449049052167==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============3499842449049052167==--

---

From: "Keith Stewart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:24:19 -0400 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003A_01D20F86.C1EFD3C0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01D20F86.C1EFD3C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Last time I popped a clutch.

Keith Stewart
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: September 14, 2016 10:56 PM
To: 'Lee&John Howard' <[email-masked]>; 'triumph list list'
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] Stag Stuck in Gear!

Randall

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01D20F86.C1EFD3C0
	name="Plate02.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Plate02.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01D20F86.C1EFD3C0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------=_NextPart_000_003A_01D20F86.C1EFD3C0--