Subject: [TR] An electrical query

From: Bob Peglow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 23:06:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
In the manual for my Honda Inverter Generator it says:
"The DC receptacle should ONLY be used for charging 12 volt automotive 
batteries. The DC charging output is not regulated. Check the battery 
voltage frequently while charging to prevent overcharging the battery"
I'll be back tomorrow with voltage readings when running a charge.
Bob

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Peglow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 09:51:42 -0400 (EDT)

--===============0897630209978713175==
	boundary="----=_Part_2940678_1783511316.1472910702048"

------=_Part_2940678_1783511316.1472910702048
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

=C2=A0Hello John/List,
This perfect timing. Big storm coming my way it's a good time to test my=20
generator.
I setup up the generator on a very old battery that has been sitting for=20
a long time. The voltage reading was12.4V. With the Honda EU2000i=20
attached and running the voltage reading went right to 14.54V and in 10=20
minutes the voltage went to 14.85V. That's why manual cautions to check=20
voltage frequently.
As I said in an earlier email:
In the manual for my Honda Inverter Generator it says:
"The DC receptacle should ONLY be used for charging 12 volt automotive=20
batteries. The DC charging output is not regulated. Check the battery=20
voltage frequently while charging to prevent overcharging the battery"
I suppose all generators are not the same or yours may have a defect.
I hope this helps John.
Regards,
Bob
>    8. An electrical query (John Macartney)
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:50:05 +0100
> From: "John Macartney" To: Subject: [TR] An electrical query
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain;=09charset=3D"us-ascii"
>
> Hi, Listers
>
> There are lots of you out there with far more electrical know-how than=20
> me
> and I'd really appreciate your input - even though my question has=20
> nothing
> whatsoever to do with Triumphs, apart from getting in the name on this=20
> post.
>
> Liz and I often use our trailer home in the UK at locations where=20
> there is
> no mains electrical supply and so are totally dependent on the 115amp
> leisure battery in our caravan. As Liz has a medical condition which
> requires daily use of a mains operated nebuliser for prolonged=20
> periods, I
> recently bought an 800w inverter generator that cranks out 230v and=20
> also has
> a separate 12v plug and lead with crocodile clips for 'battery=20
> charging'.
> Nebulising probs are thankfully now  a thing of the past but the thing=20
> is,
> even after running the genny for about 6 hours, my leisure battery was=20
> less
> than half charged from the 12v outlet, wouldn't take any more and=20
> stubbornly
> stayed stuck at 12.33 volts. Fully charged, the reading should be=20
> around
> 14.4v. I've since decided the 12v supply isn't really suited to=20
> battery
> charging and is more for running a 12v TV or other trailer home=20
> accessory.
>
> As we enjoy going to 'more remote' locations than popular ones where=20
> 230v
> mains supplies are the norm, I'm still faced with a battery charging
> problem. It occurs to me that a way round this is to put my little but=20
> very
> trusty mains battery trickle charger (runs at about 4 amps) on the=20
> 230v
> outlet and see if this will work? However, I'm just a bit cautious=20
> this
> route might have some kind of corrupting influence inside either the
> generator circuitry or the charger - or both. Anyone BTDT and can=20
> advise? I
> carefully considered folding solar panels as an alternative re-charge=20
> source
> but good ones in the UK cost about $600 and that likely payback is=20
> longer
> than I can financially accommodate.
>
> All replies (off list) will be greatly welcomed.
>
> Cheers, Jonmac
=C2=A0

------=_Part_2940678_1783511316.1472910702048
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

&nbsp;Hello John/List,<br>This perfect timing. Big storm coming my way it's=
 a good time to test my generator.<br>I setup up the generator on a very ol=
d battery that has been sitting for a long time. The voltage reading was12.=
4V. With the Honda EU2000i attached and running the voltage reading went ri=
ght to 14.54V and in 10 minutes the voltage went to 14.85V. That's why manu=
al cautions to check voltage frequently.<br>As I said in an earlier email:<=
br>In the manual for my Honda Inverter Generator it says:<br><span style=3D=
"font-weight: bold;">"The DC receptacle should ONLY be used for charging 12=
 volt automotive batteries. The DC charging output is not regulated. Check =
the battery voltage frequently while charging to prevent overcharging the b=
attery"</span><br>I suppose all generators are not the same or yours may ha=
ve a defect.<br>I hope this helps John.<br>Regards,<br>Bob<br><br>&gt;    8=
. An electrical query (John Macartney)<br>&gt;&nbsp; <br>&gt;&nbsp; <br>&gt=
; <br>&gt; Message: 8<br>&gt; Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:50:05 +0100<br>&gt; =
From: "John Macartney" <br>&gt; To: <br>&gt; Subject: [TR] An electrical qu=
ery<br>&gt; Message-ID: &lt;[email-masked]&g=
t;<br>&gt; Content-Type: text/plain;=09charset=3D"us-ascii"<br>&gt; <br>&gt=
; Hi, Listers<br>&gt; <br>&gt; There are lots of you out there with far mor=
e electrical know-how than me<br>&gt; and I'd really appreciate your input =
- even though my question has nothing<br>&gt; whatsoever to do with Triumph=
s, apart from getting in the name on this post.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Liz and I =
often use our trailer home in the UK at locations where there is<br>&gt; no=
 mains electrical supply and so are totally dependent on the 115amp<br>&gt;=
 leisure battery in our caravan. As Liz has a medical condition which<br>&g=
t; requires daily use of a mains operated nebuliser for prolonged periods, =
I<br>&gt; recently bought an 800w inverter generator that cranks out 230v a=
nd also has<br>&gt; a separate 12v plug and lead with crocodile clips for '=
battery charging'.<br>&gt; Nebulising probs are thankfully now  a thing of =
the past but the thing is,<br>&gt; even after running the genny for about 6=
 hours, my leisure battery was less<br>&gt; than half charged from the 12v =
outlet, wouldn't take any more and stubbornly<br>&gt; stayed stuck at 12.33=
 volts. Fully charged, the reading should be around<br>&gt; 14.4v. I've sin=
ce decided the 12v supply isn't really suited to battery<br>&gt; charging a=
nd is more for running a 12v TV or other trailer home accessory.<br>&gt; <b=
r>&gt; As we enjoy going to 'more remote' locations than popular ones where=
 230v<br>&gt; mains supplies are the norm, I'm still faced with a battery c=
harging<br>&gt; problem. It occurs to me that a way round this is to put my=
 little but very<br>&gt; trusty mains battery trickle charger (runs at abou=
t 4 amps) on the 230v<br>&gt; outlet and see if this will work? However, I'=
m just a bit cautious this<br>&gt; route might have some kind of corrupting=
 influence inside either the<br>&gt; generator circuitry or the charger - o=
r both. Anyone BTDT and can advise? I<br>&gt; carefully considered folding =
solar panels as an alternative re-charge source<br>&gt; but good ones in th=
e UK cost about $600 and that likely payback is longer<br>&gt; than I can f=
inancially accommodate.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; All replies (off list) will be gre=
atly welcomed.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Cheers, Jonmac<br>&nbsp;
------=_Part_2940678_1783511316.1472910702048--

--===============0897630209978713175==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============0897630209978713175==--