Subject: [TR] The Same Car for 82 Years

From: Ann Carletta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 20:22:46 +0000 (UTC)

So how long are we in our cars?  I'm in my TR3A as a passenger since 1970 and a driver since 1978!  36 more years to go to match his record!

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Home Consolidated <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 18:21:48 -0500

Passenger since 1959, driver since 1968. 25 years to go 😀

Ken Gano

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 22, 2016, at 3:22 PM, Ann Carletta <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
> 

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 19:54:45 -0400

> So how long are we in our cars?  I'm in my TR3A as a passenger since 1970 and a driver since 1978!  36 more years to go to match his record!

My TR6 has been in the family since 1977.  I was allowed to drive it
rarely in the first 30 years, though.

42 years to go.  I'll be older than him by then...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

---

From: "dave n" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 21:09:08 -0500

my grandfather bought a 1963 Buick Electra 225 from William Roach, Vice 
President of GMAC (it was an executive car) in 1963, and I have the 
paperwork to prove it.  as well as the order form when Roach ordered the 
car, and a personal letter from Roach to my Grandfather discussing the 
purchase and a few other personal things.

I picked the car up in 1984 (I still have the plane ticket!); my grandfather 
died shortly thereafter.  I have many of his receipts and all of mine as 
well - the folder is an inch thick.

I rode in the car many, many times as a child, drove it and rode in it as a 
teenager and in my 20's.

I still have it.   that's 32 years.  53 years in the family.  btw the car is 
pretty original although somewhat tired looking, and has 37,757 original 
miles on it.  its on my website:  http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/buick/

and my neighbor has the 74 TR6 he bought new.  it sat for 28 years; we are 
in the process of bringing it back to life.

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 23:33:59 -0500

--===============6340995221546585053==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-29E1F288-56C0-43FC-A895-C0B7A4058A77
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-29E1F288-56C0-43FC-A895-C0B7A4058A77
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

One of our members still has his '64 TR4, bought new.  Now parked after a ac=
cident 5 years ago
Bill B
www.bcbco.org

Sent from my Altair 8800

On Sep 22, 2016, at 9:09 PM, dave n <[email-masked]> wrote:

my grandfather bought a 1963 Buick Electra 225 from William Roach, Vice Pres=
ident of GMAC (it was an executive car) in 1963, and I have the paperwork to=
 prove it.  as well as the order form when Roach ordered the car, and a pers=
onal letter from Roach to my Grandfather discussing the purchase and a few o=
ther personal things.

I picked the car up in 1984 (I still have the plane ticket!); my grandfather=
 died shortly thereafter.  I have many of his receipts and all of mine as we=
ll - the folder is an inch thick.

I rode in the car many, many times as a child, drove it and rode in it as a t=
eenager and in my 20's.

I still have it.   that's 32 years.  53 years in the family.  btw the car is=
 pretty original although somewhat tired looking, and has 37,757 original mi=
les on it.  its on my website:  http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/buick/

and my neighbor has the 74 TR6 he bought new.  it sat for 28 years; we are i=
n the process of bringing it back to life.

ash.net

--Apple-Mail-29E1F288-56C0-43FC-A895-C0B7A4058A77
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto"><div><div style=3D"direction: inherit;">One=
 of our members still has his '64 TR4, bought new. &nbsp;Now parked after a a=
ccident 5 years ago</div><div style=3D"direction: inherit;">Bill B</div><div=
 style=3D"direction: inherit;"><a href=3D"http://www.bcbco.org">www.bcbco.or=
g</a></div><div style=3D"direction: inherit;"><br></div><br>Sent from my&nbs=
p;<span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">Altair 8800</spa=
n></div><div><br>On Sep 22, 2016, at 9:09 PM, dave n &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:d=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div><span>my g=
randfather bought a 1963 Buick Electra 225 from William Roach, Vice Presiden=
t of GMAC (it was an executive car) in 1963, and I have the paperwork to pro=
ve it. &nbsp;as well as the order form when Roach ordered the car, and a per=
sonal letter from Roach to my Grandfather discussing the purchase and a few o=
ther personal things.</span><br><span></span><br><span>I picked the car up i=
n 1984 (I still have the plane ticket!); my grandfather died shortly thereaf=
ter. &nbsp;I have many of his receipts and all of mine as well - the folder i=
s an inch thick.</span><br><span></span><br><span>I rode in the car many, ma=
ny times as a child, drove it and rode in it as a teenager and in my 20's.</=
span><br><span></span><br><span>I still have it. &nbsp;&nbsp;that's 32 years=
. &nbsp;53 years in the family. &nbsp;btw the car is pretty original althoug=
h somewhat tired looking, and has 37,757 original miles on it. &nbsp;its on m=
y website: &nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/buick/">http://=
www.ranteer.com/davescars/buick/</a></span><br><span></span><br><span>and my=
 neighbor has the 74 TR6 he bought new. &nbsp;it sat for 28 years; we are in=
 the process of bringing it back to life.</span><br><span></span><br><span><=
/span><br><span>** <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">triumphs@autox=
.team.net</a> **</span><br><span></span><br><span>Donate: <a href=3D"http://=
www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br><spa=
n>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archi=
ve</a></span><br><span>Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http:/=
/www.team.net/forums</a></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http=
://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]</a></span><br></div></body>=
</html>=

--Apple-Mail-29E1F288-56C0-43FC-A895-C0B7A4058A77--

--===============6340995221546585053==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============6340995221546585053==--

---

From: "Jerry Van Vlack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 05:58:05 -0400

Owned my 66 TR4A since June 69 so that's 47 years and still enjoying the 
drive.
JVV

-----Original Message----- 
From: Ann Carletta
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TR] The Same Car for 82 Years

So how long are we in our cars?  I'm in my TR3A as a passenger since 1970 
and a driver since 1978!  36 more years to go to match his record!

---

From: "John Macartney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 15:53:40 +0100

For the record, I've still got my late Father's 14 inch ATCO cylinder
lawnmower he bought new in 1939. For some strange reason, while it is
superbly made with roller bearings wherever you look and the 49cc two stroke
engine will still start with gentle and considerate persuasion, it was never
fitted at the factory with a speedometer! Even so, and after many
calculations of the lawns it has cut at the three homes where Dad lived
(once a week, every week, over the same piece of grass in both directions
and from 1939 to 1975), I reckon it must have done somewhere in the region
of 6000 miles (maybe more?) - and still on the original clutch! :)

Jonmac

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:56:04 +0000 (UTC)

List messages about how long people have owned cars leads to another thought.

My '59 Triumph was first purchased in 1960 and driven until 1975, when it was parked in a sad shed to sit morose and inches from the crusher with floors completely rusted out, wheels frozen tight, and with decades of dried racoon feces coating the engine.  In 2004 I picked it up for $500, the winner among those others who had interest because I was the one who figured out how to loosen the wheels to get it rolling and how to use a come-along and tow chain to plough it uphill through the mud to a trailer.

Love breeds determination, I suppose.

Took three years to get it on the road again, so mathematically I've been driving it 44% of it's life.  I guess that means in two more years I'll be the "primary" owner of a car that's 57 years old?

I can't imagine the histories of cars on this list, how close so many came to the scrap heap, and what lenghts you all have gone to to keep them alive.  I suppose to it's a bit like thinking of our ancestors in the medieval period surviving famines, plagues and feudal battles to leave us by extraordinary chance the opportunity to be here.  

Except I wouldn't have bothered with the TR3 in the first place if I hadn't researched and found that Moss, The Roadster Factory, and Victoria British supplied almost everything needed to bring it back to life.  

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire