Subject: Re: [TR] chrome paint

From: ptegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 00:32:20 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5770415887152135281==
 boundary=------------4700A7AE5524173757F187C7

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------4700A7AE5524173757F187C7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

..seeing this thread continue with noone really mentioning 
products...I'll kick in here with perhaps the best that exists on the 
planet.

It's actually a process of deionizing water, dry powder in a liquid 
carrier and atop coat. It can be buffed just minutes after application.

Alsa sells a whole series of chromes..... even over tints that spray AND 
STICK WELL to cleaned chrome

http://alsacorp.com/chrome-fx-machines-spray-chrome-paint-systems/

ptegler
<http://alsacorp.com/chrome-fx-machines-spray-chrome-paint-systems/>

<http://alsacorp.com/chrome-fx-machines-spray-chrome-paint-systems/>

On 8/31/2016 3:07 PM, Randall wrote:
>> I have heard good things about a new powder coat
>> material/process that looks very close.   Now looking for something to
>> take to my local guy as a test before redoing my bumpers, chrome quotes
>> from $500-800 each!
>>
>> Would like to hear from someone that has already BTDT.
> Possibly not the same powder as this was some time ago.  I have some items
> that were done in "chrome" powder coat by the late Fred Thomas.  They do
> look nice, but it's more of a plastic look.  I don't think anyone would ever
> mistake them for real chrome.
>
> Having it inside the gauge housing sure did brighten up the illumination,
> though.  I can actually read my temp gauge at night!
>
> Randall
>
>
>
> ** [email-masked] **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Paul Tegler [email-masked] www.teglerizer.com

--------------4700A7AE5524173757F187C7
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <p>..seeing this thread continue with noone really mentioning
      products...I'll kick in here with perhaps the best that exists on
      the planet.</p>
    <p>It's actually a process of deionizing water, dry powder in a
      liquid carrier and atop coat. It can be buffed just minutes after
      application.</p>
    <p>Alsa sells a whole series of chromes..... even over tints that
      spray AND STICK WELL to cleaned chrome</p>
    <p><a
href="http://alsacorp.com/chrome-fx-machines-spray-chrome-paint-systems/">http://alsacorp.com/chrome-fx-machines-spray-chrome-paint-systems/
        <br>
      </a></p>
    <p><a
href="http://alsacorp.com/chrome-fx-machines-spray-chrome-paint-systems/">ptegler<br>
      </a></p>
    <p><a
href="http://alsacorp.com/chrome-fx-machines-spray-chrome-paint-systems/"><br>
      </a></p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/31/2016 3:07 PM, Randall wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:A5.DB.14913.1EA27C75@cdptpa-oedge02"
      type="cite">
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <pre wrap="">I have heard good things about a new powder coat
material/process that looks very close.   Now looking for something to
take to my local guy as a test before redoing my bumpers, chrome quotes
from $500-800 each!

Would like to hear from someone that has already BTDT.
</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <pre wrap="">
Possibly not the same powder as this was some time ago.  I have some items
that were done in "chrome" powder coat by the late Fred Thomas.  They do
look nice, but it's more of a plastic look.  I don't think anyone would ever
mistake them for real chrome.

Having it inside the gauge housing sure did brighten up the illumination,
though.  I can actually read my temp gauge at night!

Randall

** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> **

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      Paul Tegler
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.teglerizer.com">www.teglerizer.com</a>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------4700A7AE5524173757F187C7--

--===============5770415887152135281==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5770415887152135281==--

---

From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 06:49:45 -0700

Chrome paint???? How could you guys be seriously discussing painting the 
chrome bits of a half century old (give or take) Triumph?  It is 
something I would imagine a kid might do with a rusty old car that had 
one foot in the wrecking yard and the other almost there. That is so 
tacky. A race to the bottom of the resale value.

When I was living on the coast rust spots would appear on brand new Moss 
chrome bumpers within a couple months of new.  I finally solved the 
problem with stainless steel bumper & bumperettes. I got mine off ebay 
from a guy that was retailing them there. They were a product of Mexico 
with a very high quality finish on a stainless alloy that looks 
identical to chrome. About 10 years later they still look like new and 
even close up they look like chrome.  20 years ago when I rebuilt my TR 
I removed all the smaller chrome bits and took them to a local Harley 
Davidson shop that specialized in creating custom Harleys. I figured 
they would have the highest quality chrome work done and were plugged 
into the best chrome shop they could find.  The parts came back perfect 
and have never picked up a spot of rust.

Paint the chrome bits? geesh

TeriAnn

---

From: ptegler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 12:28:37 -0400

what most people don't understand is 'chrome' is clear! (well...blueish 
cast)

the 'shiny' visible is the nickel!  Most car soaps and forction that's 
good for paint these days destroiys the super thin chromium layer 
protecting the nickel.

Wax your bumpers just like the rest of your car to add longevity.

ptegler

On 9/1/2016 9:49 AM, TeriAnn J. Wakeman wrote:
> Chrome paint???? How could you guys be seriously discussing painting 
> the chrome bits of a half century old (give or take) Triumph?  It is 
> When I was living on the coast rust spots would appear on brand new 
> Moss chrome bumpers within a couple months of new.  I finally solved 
> the problem with stainless steel bumper & bumperettes. I got mine off 
> ebay from a guy that was retailing them there. They were a product of 
> Mexico with a very high quality finish on a stainless alloy that looks 
> even close up they look like chrome.  20 years ago when I rebuilt my 
> TR I removed all the smaller chrome bits and took them to a local 
> Harley Davidson shop that specialized in creating custom Harleys. I 
> figured they would have the highest quality chrome work done and were 
> plugged into the best chrome shop they could find.  The parts came 
> back perfect and have never picked up a spot of rust.
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]
>

---

From: "Andrew Uprichard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 13:01:18 -0400

TeriAnn:  I appreciate the feedback, but let me give you an example of where
a chrome substitute would be a reasonable alternative.

I currently have three small-mouth TR3s.  All have grilles which would not
be suitable for a high-quality restoration.  I recently took one to two
chrome shops and both said the grilles did not lend themselves to
rechroming.  Don't ask me why, but it was something to do with all the
surfaces and angles making it difficult to strip and then re-chrome.

A new grille costs around $250 from the usual sources but the fit is
terrible.  Given the difficulty of altering the grille without damaging the
chrome, one then has to reconfigure the nosepiece (something I'd hate to do
to a well-preserved front clip).  If there was something I could do to
restore these old grilles, I'd definitely go for it - and the responses to
my question have contained many good suggestions.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of TeriAnn
J. Wakeman
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2016 9:50 AM
To: Triumph List
Subject: Re: [TR] chrome paint

Chrome paint???? How could you guys be seriously discussing painting the
chrome bits of a half century old (give or take) Triumph?  It is something I
would imagine a kid might do with a rusty old car that had one foot in the
wrecking yard and the other almost there. That is so tacky. A race to the
bottom of the resale value.

When I was living on the coast rust spots would appear on brand new Moss
chrome bumpers within a couple months of new.  I finally solved the problem
with stainless steel bumper & bumperettes. I got mine off ebay from a guy
that was retailing them there. They were a product of Mexico with a very
high quality finish on a stainless alloy that looks identical to chrome.
About 10 years later they still look like new and even close up they look
like chrome.  20 years ago when I rebuilt my TR I removed all the smaller
chrome bits and took them to a local Harley Davidson shop that specialized
in creating custom Harleys. I figured they would have the highest quality
chrome work done and were plugged into the best chrome shop they could find.
The parts came back perfect and have never picked up a spot of rust.

TeriAnn

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 21:33:25 +0000 (UTC)

Speaking of gauge lights (someone actually was, different thread, tho), I did swap in LED's for the speedo and tach.  Amazing difference.  Light is white and bright.  

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

---

From: Rye Livingston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2016 23:03:55 -0700

What LED lights are you using?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 4, 2016, at 2:33 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 12:43:55 +0000 (UTC)

Hi, Ryan.  Got them from Veloce Solutions in Maryland.  Checked my box of receipts but don't have the slip showing the exact bulb.  

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rye Livingston" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "triumphs" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 2:03:55 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] gauge light

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: "CFM-TR" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 19:34:05 -0400

Be sure to stipulate positive ground if you have not converted.  Also, you
may want to get a switch that changes the brightness.  They can be somewhat
blinding.  Veloce can provide both.

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 8:44 AM
To: Rye Livingston <[email-masked]>
Cc: triumphs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [TR] gauge light

Hi, Ryan.  Got them from Veloce Solutions in Maryland.  Checked my box of
receipts but don't have the slip showing the exact bulb.  

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rye Livingston" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "triumphs" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 5, 2016 2:03:55 AM
Subject: Re: [TR] gauge light

Sent from my iPhone

> Speaking of gauge lights (someone actually was, different thread, tho), I
did swap in LED's for the speedo and tach.  Amazing difference.  Light is
white and bright.  
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/[email-masked]