Subject: [TR] Blown Gasket TR4 part III

From: "Lee&John Howard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 13:24:52 -0700

I got back to the car yesterday and found that liner #1 protruded far
beyond spec at .010. I assembled a few tubes and washers to simulate the
factory liner hold down tool and managed to press the liner down to .005,
just at spec.  So, this is what probably caused the blow-out, although I
wonder if simply turning the crank with the head off might have caused the
liner to lift.

Whatever ( as the grandkids say ad nauseum) - I'm going with the too-high
liner as the cause, and will use a new and thicker gasket from British
Parts Northwest. Plus new studs - I'm springing for the ARP's.

As for the exhaust manifold, I'm cutting off the headers ( behind the
collection point) and having its face trued up. Same with the manifold face
on the head - flattened and new matched studs.  Standard heavy duty gaskets
from Moss.

Should be back on the road in a week! Yeah, right.

Thanks again

John Howard

** [email-masked] **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive