Subject: [Tigers] Door Alignment

From: Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2026 13:13:42 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5369330995300482341==
 boundary="------------HuedvFW5vLhE08xcY0rCcJbg"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------HuedvFW5vLhE08xcY0rCcJbg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

  I'm dealing with the 101 final steps before I begin to primer my 
Tiger. The drivers door has always had decent alignment for a 60's 
British car when closed (picture 1). And closure took little effort.

  Today I removed the door latch and when I closed the door the 
alignment was significantly off, about 3/16" to 1/4" at the upper edge 
(picture 2). A secondary, possibly contributing issue is the window 
channel gap was inconsistent (picture 3) thus I had attempted to make 
the pieces parallel. After I had bent those then I noticed the elevated 
gap on the latch end. Assuming it was the parallel work on the door 
channel that was causing the problem I bent it back where it was. 
Predominantly the gap (upward elevation) at the door latch was still 
off. And putting pressure on the door gap to increase it (even beyond 
where it was) did not help. Therefore it is my assumption that trying to 
fix the window channel gap is not the greater cause. It was the removal 
of the latch that is causing the problem.

  Curious I re-installed the latch, closed the door and the alignment 
was the /_same, decent, closes relatively easy as it had been_/ for the 
past 26 years. BTW, the car is on jackstands but they are under the 
axles (not the frame) so the car is and has been "loaded" as it would 
sit on the road the past 26 years.

  SOOOooo..., my question is, it this typical? Is the upward rise at the 
latch end of the door intentional (and corrected to alignment when 
closed at the latch) perhaps to help reduce door rattle? I had 
considered shims on the hinges for better alignment but the screws won't 
come loose even with an impact screwdriver. I'm willing to live with it 
because when the door is closed all is good. This is no show car. Just a 
basket case Tiger being made serviceable. But I wanted to know other 
peoples experience.

--------------HuedvFW5vLhE08xcY0rCcJbg
 boundary="------------YDRms6kKNqxnrZS7zsRaljLz"

--------------YDRms6kKNqxnrZS7zsRaljLz
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p> I'm dealing with the 101 final steps before I begin to primer my
      Tiger. The drivers door has always had decent alignment for a 60's
      British car when closed (picture 1). And closure took little
      effort.</p>
    <p> Today I removed the door latch and when I closed the door the
      alignment was significantly off, about 3/16" to 1/4" at the upper
      edge (picture 2). A secondary, possibly contributing issue is the
      window channel gap was inconsistent (picture 3) thus I had
      attempted to make the pieces parallel. After I had bent those then
      I noticed the elevated gap on the latch end. Assuming it was the
      parallel work on the door channel that was causing the problem I
      bent it back where it was. Predominantly the gap (upward
      elevation) at the door latch was still off. And putting pressure
      on the door gap to increase it (even beyond where it was) did not
      help. Therefore it is my assumption that trying to fix the window
      channel gap is not the greater cause. It was the removal of the
      latch that is causing the problem.</p>
    <p> Curious I re-installed the latch, closed the door and the
      alignment was the <i><u>same, decent, closes relatively easy as
          it had been</u></i> for the past 26 years. BTW, the car is on
      jackstands but they are under the axles (not the frame) so the car
      is and has been "loaded" as it would sit on the road the past 26
      years.</p>
    <p> SOOOooo..., my question is, it this typical? Is the upward rise
      at the latch end of the door intentional (and corrected to
      alignment when closed at the latch) perhaps to help reduce door
      rattle? I had considered shims on the hinges for better alignment
      but the screws won't come loose even with an impact screwdriver.
      I'm willing to live with it because when the door is closed all is
      good. This is no show car. Just a basket case Tiger being made
      serviceable. But I wanted to know other peoples experience.</p>
    <p><img src="cid:[email-masked]" alt=""
        width="641" height="537"> <img
        src="cid:[email-masked]" alt="" width="966"
        height="541"></p>
    <p><img src="cid:[email-masked]" alt=""
        width="458" height="838"></p>
  </body>
</html>
--------------YDRms6kKNqxnrZS7zsRaljLz
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="GiAJjtv3DCCKjsNE.png"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------YDRms6kKNqxnrZS7zsRaljLz
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="8nmRWT7U5I0EPuCL.png"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------YDRms6kKNqxnrZS7zsRaljLz
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="u4M0amNGzrmJNdso.png"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

QhZnAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

--------------YDRms6kKNqxnrZS7zsRaljLz--

--------------HuedvFW5vLhE08xcY0rCcJbg--

--===============5369330995300482341==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============5369330995300482341==--