Subject: Re: [Tigers] MKII Speedometer cable is kaput

From: Jay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 10:36:27 -0700

--===============1406210564764552048==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_89CF3D07-166F-4A44-A7DF-B2892FF09D63"

--Apple-Mail=_89CF3D07-166F-4A44-A7DF-B2892FF09D63
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

I found this on www.tigersunited.com <http://www.tigersunited.com/> in =
the Technical Tips section.  Is this what you=E2=80=99re dealing with?

<p>Subject: Re: Speedo Cable<br>
	 Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:33:59 -0700<br>
	 From: Steve Laifman <br>
	To: &quot;Sobol, Perry&quot;<[email-masked]><br>
	CC: &quot;'Tiger Net'&quot;<[email-masked]><br>
	References: 1<br>
	 &quot;Sobol, Perry&quot; wrote:<br>
	 &gt; Tiger Fans,<br>
	&gt;<br>
	 &gt; The cable I bought does not look like the one it is =
replacing.<br>
	 &gt;<br>
	 &gt; After disconnecting the old cable the only part that was =
left was a 1inch<br>
	 &gt; round fitting with what looks like a screw hole in the =
center still stuck in<br>
	 &gt; the transmission.<br>
	 &gt;<br>
	 &gt; The tranny is a HEH CF in a MKII.<br>
	 &gt;<br>
	 &gt; Thanks in advance for any help.<br>
	 Perry,<br>
	 Although I am not sure what a &quot;linch round&quot; fitting =
is, there is a flat steel piece that could be described as a Large Hole, =
that fits around the speedo cable housing, and a smaller hole that is =
used to clamp this cable holder to the transmission. It's proper =
position is ON the cable, such that the cable housing is sandwiched =
between this clamp and the transmission. The other hole is used to bolt =
it to the threaded hole in the transmission. This can be reached through =
an access panel on the transmission cover, under the floor mats. It is a =
little tricky putting it on, because of limited space for things like =
fingers and wrenches. Since your clamp is apparently already off your =
cable, there is a neat trick you can use that will make life simpler for =
you. That clamp can be cut through the center of the large hole, leaving =
a &quot;C&quot; shaped section, with a tail having the bolt hole. This =
can more easily be put on the assembled cable and tightened down. It =
might look something like this: o( (connect the edges) An even neater =
trick, which requires a little pre-thought, is to cut that section out =
of the clamp at an angle. The clamp is positioned on the transmission, =
with the slotted hole totally above the cable entry, and held lightly in =
place by the holding screw. This can be done either when the tranny is =
outside the car, or in place. The cable is firmly inserted and seated, =
then the holding screw is loosened, allowing the clamp to fall down into =
the groove in the cable. The holding screw is tightened, and your done. =
To remove the cable, loosen the screw, wiggle the cable then flip the =
cut end up and tighten the holder. Cable comes out, and the holder is =
ready for re-insertion. Neat, Huh? Only trick is to position the holder =
on the tranny, with the cable out, and move it up till a diameter cut =
will clear the cable entry. Mark the particular half-cut you need to =
make, at this angle, then remove it and cut it at the proper angle. Hope =
this helps. Apparently someone replace yours with the clamp off the =
cable.<br>
	 Steve -- <br>
	Steve Laifman &lt; Find out what is most &gt; &lt; important in =
your life &gt; &lt; and don't let it get away!&gt;<br>

> On Jun 10, 2022, at 10:21 AM, STEVE MURPHY <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> The original speedometer cable broke in my MKII. Trying to put in a =
replacement cable from a MKI reveals that there is a spacer/shim/adapter =
left in the Toploader tail shaft. Does anyone have experience removing =
said spacer? Had a pic of the item but MicroSD seems to be empty now. =
Here is a pic of the orig cable and the replacement. Looking for a =
suggestion on removing the spacer or acquiring a replacement MKII speedo =
cable. Thank you.=20
> _______________________________________________
>=20
> [email-masked]
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>=20
> Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_89CF3D07-166F-4A44-A7DF-B2892FF09D63
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">I =
found this on&nbsp;<a href=3D"http://www.tigersunited.com" =
class=3D"">www.tigersunited.com</a>&nbsp;in the Technical Tips section. =
&nbsp;Is this what you=E2=80=99re dealing with?<div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><pre style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
white-space: pre-wrap;" class=3D"">&lt;p&gt;Subject: Re: Speedo =
Cable&lt;br&gt;
	 Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:33:59 -0700&lt;br&gt;
	 From: Steve Laifman &lt;br&gt;
	To: &amp;quot;Sobol, Perry&amp;quot;&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;&lt;br&gt;
	CC: &amp;quot;'Tiger Net'&amp;quot;&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;&lt;br&gt;
	References: 1&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;quot;Sobol, Perry&amp;quot; wrote:&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt; Tiger Fans,&lt;br&gt;
	&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt; The cable I bought does not look like the one it is =
replacing.&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt; After disconnecting the old cable the only part that =
was left was a 1inch&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt; round fitting with what looks like a screw hole in the =
center still stuck in&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt; the transmission.&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt; The tranny is a HEH CF in a MKII.&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;
	 &amp;gt; Thanks in advance for any help.&lt;br&gt;
	 Perry,&lt;br&gt;
	 Although I am not sure what a &amp;quot;linch round&amp;quot; =
fitting is, there is a flat steel piece that could be described as a =
Large Hole, that fits around the speedo cable housing, and a smaller =
hole that is used to clamp this cable holder to the transmission. It's =
proper position is ON the cable, such that the cable housing is =
sandwiched between this clamp and the transmission. The other hole is =
used to bolt it to the threaded hole in the transmission. This can be =
reached through an access panel on the transmission cover, under the =
floor mats. It is a little tricky putting it on, because of limited =
space for things like fingers and wrenches. Since your clamp is =
apparently already off your cable, there is a neat trick you can use =
that will make life simpler for you. That clamp can be cut through the =
center of the large hole, leaving a &amp;quot;C&amp;quot; shaped =
section, with a tail having the bolt hole. This can more easily be put =
on the assembled cable and tightened down. It might look something like =
this: o( (connect the edges) An even neater trick, which requires a =
little pre-thought, is to cut that section out of the clamp at an angle. =
The clamp is positioned on the transmission, with the slotted hole =
totally above the cable entry, and held lightly in place by the holding =
screw. This can be done either when the tranny is outside the car, or in =
place. The cable is firmly inserted and seated, then the holding screw =
is loosened, allowing the clamp to fall down into the groove in the =
cable. The holding screw is tightened, and your done. To remove the =
cable, loosen the screw, wiggle the cable then flip the cut end up and =
tighten the holder. Cable comes out, and the holder is ready for =
re-insertion. Neat, Huh? Only trick is to position the holder on the =
tranny, with the cable out, and move it up till a diameter cut will =
clear the cable entry. Mark the particular half-cut you need to make, at =
this angle, then remove it and cut it at the proper angle. Hope this =
helps. Apparently someone replace yours with the clamp off the =
cable.&lt;br&gt;
	 Steve -- &lt;br&gt;
	Steve Laifman &amp;lt; Find out what is most &amp;gt; &amp;lt; =
important in your life &amp;gt; &amp;lt; and don't let it get =
away!&amp;gt;&lt;br&gt;</pre><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div><br=
 class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Jun =
10, 2022, at 10:21 AM, STEVE MURPHY &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D"">

 =20
  <meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8"=
 class=3D"">=20
=20
 <div class=3D"">=20
  <div =
style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:helvetica,arial,sans-serif;color:#3333=
33;" class=3D"default-style"> <span id=3D"_mce_caret" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: helvetica; font-size: 12pt;" class=3D"">The =
original speedometer cable broke in my MKII. Trying to put in a =
replacement cable from a MKI reveals that there is a spacer/shim/adapter =
left in the Toploader tail shaft. Does anyone have experience removing =
said spacer? Had a pic of the item but MicroSD seems to be empty now. =
Here is a pic of the orig cable and the replacement. Looking for a =
suggestion on removing the spacer or acquiring a replacement MKII speedo =
cable. Thank you.</span></span>=20
   <br class=3D"">=20
  </div>=20
 </div>
<span =
id=3D"cid:5864889C-E75F-41D4-B8B4-926AD93ACD7F">&lt;cables.jpg&gt;</span>_=
______________________________________________<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D""><br class=3D"">Donate: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_89CF3D07-166F-4A44-A7DF-B2892FF09D63--

--===============1406210564764552048==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============1406210564764552048==--

---

From: "Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 17:00:59 -0400 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0017_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0018_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0"

------=_NextPart_001_0018_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Never saw a speedo cable break there.

=20

See picture

This section of the cable has an O ring and the 17 teeth drive gear =
clipped.

There should be a .235=E2=80=9D OD hole in this piece, you need to check =
to be sure.

=20

You may need to get some lube on the O ring so it will slid out easier.

You should be able to screw a sheet metal screw or bolt into that =
.235=E2=80=9D hole so it can be pulled out.

You may need to lower the transmission a little to get at that speedo =
part better.

=20

Good luck

Ron Fraser

=20

=20

=20

From: Tigers <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of STEVE MURPHY
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 1:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] MKII Speedometer cable is kaput

=20

------=_NextPart_001_0018_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Helvetica;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Never saw a speedo cable break there.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>See =
picture<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>This section of the cable has =
an O ring and the 17 teeth drive gear clipped.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>There should be a .235=E2=80=9D OD hole in this piece, =
you need to check to be sure.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>You may need =
to get some lube on the O ring so it will slid out =
easier.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>You should be able to screw a =
sheet metal screw or bolt into that .235=E2=80=9D hole so it can be =
pulled out.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>You may need to lower the =
transmission a little to get at that speedo part =
better.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Good luck<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Ron =
Fraser<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Tigers =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>STEVE =
MURPHY<br><b>Sent:</b> Friday, June 10, 2022 1:22 PM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Tigers] MKII Speedometer cable =
is kaput<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Helvetica",sans-serif;color:#33333=
3'>The original speedometer cable broke in my MKII. Trying to put in a =
replacement cable from a MKI reveals that there is a spacer/shim/adapter =
left in the Toploader tail shaft. Does anyone have experience removing =
said spacer? Had a pic of the item but MicroSD seems to be empty now. =
Here is a pic of the orig cable and the replacement. Looking for a =
suggestion on removing the spacer or acquiring a replacement MKII speedo =
cable. Thank you. <o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0018_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0--

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0
	name="100_5189.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="100_5189.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D87CEB.A9BE00F0--