Subject: [Tigers] Engine removal/ paint questions

From: steve wick via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 02:14:47 +0000

--===============5021836653280620338==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_SA1PR06MB83561A6E725A84E67133CDC9D86B9SA1PR06MB8356namp_"

--_000_SA1PR06MB83561A6E725A84E67133CDC9D86B9SA1PR06MB8356namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

This will be a long post, so please bear with me. I've had my Tiger for 20 =
years, but only drove it occasionally. I had constant problems with the wir=
ing and fuel system that left me stranded several times. The last 10 years =
or so, I haven't driven it more than 100 miles per year, mainly due to work=
, health issues, time and the unreliability issue. I plan on going through =
my Tiger this winter, updating the wiring harness and, as a bonus, getting =
it ready to go back to the original paint color (Midnight Blue) throughout =
the car. As part of that, I was going to pull the engine and transmission.
  First question. Is the engine compartment body color or black? My car was=
 completely repainted, inside and out, in the 70's to some shade of red tha=
t now needs serious help. The engine compartment was painted black. I figur=
e if I'm going to repaint everything, I might as well do it right.
  Second question. I've heard of people pulling the engine from the top and=
 from the bottom. It's just me, and my bench-pressing days are way behind m=
e, so I won't be lifting the front of the car myself if I pull from the bot=
tom. I don't see a good place to attach a hoist. I have a 4-post car lift, =
so can position the front of the car over the edge of the platform, block u=
p the frame under the A pillar and chain the rear frame rails down and lift=
 the whole car in the air, minus the front crossmember/engine/tranny, or re=
move the transmission, strip the engine to the block and heads and pull fro=
m the top. Which would be the best way, and why?
  Last question. As long as the engine/tranny are out, I'm going to "refres=
h" them. I'm a hot rodder at heart, but don't want to mess up a rare car li=
ke a Tiger. I'm looking for something just to drive and have fun with, with=
out getting smoked by a Prius. I'm considering using a roller cam 302 and a=
 5 speed, because of the ZDDP issue, parts availability, reliability, small=
 boost in power, etc. How much do I hurt the value of the car by having the=
 original engine/tranny available but newer stuff installed, vs. rebuilding=
 the stock units?

Thanks guys. Looking forward to everyone's input and opinion.

Steve

--_000_SA1PR06MB83561A6E725A84E67133CDC9D86B9SA1PR06MB8356namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
This will be a long post, so please bear with me. I've had my Tiger for 20 =
years, but only drove it occasionally. I had constant problems with the wir=
ing and fuel system that left me stranded several times. The last 10 years =
or so, I haven't driven it more
 than 100 miles per year, mainly due to work, health issues, time and the u=
nreliability issue. I plan on going through my Tiger this winter, updating =
the wiring harness and, as a bonus, getting it ready to go back to the orig=
inal paint color (Midnight Blue)
 throughout the car. As part of that, I was going to pull the engine and tr=
ansmission.&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
&nbsp; First question. Is the engine compartment body color or black? My ca=
r was completely repainted, inside and out, in the 70's to some shade of re=
d that now needs serious help. The engine compartment was painted black. I =
figure if I'm going to repaint everything,
 I might as well do it right.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
&nbsp; Second question. I've heard of people pulling the engine from the to=
p and from the bottom. It's just me, and my bench-pressing days are way beh=
ind me, so I won't be lifting the front of the car myself if I pull from th=
e bottom. I don't see a good place to
 attach a hoist. I have a 4-post car lift, so can position the front of the=
 car over the edge of the platform, block up the frame under the A pillar a=
nd chain the rear frame rails down and lift the whole car in the air, minus=
 the front crossmember/engine/tranny,
 or remove the transmission, strip the engine to the block and heads and pu=
ll from the top. Which would be the best way, and why?</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
&nbsp; Last question. As long as the engine/tranny are out, I'm going to &q=
uot;refresh&quot; them. I'm a hot rodder at heart, but don't want to mess u=
p a rare car like a Tiger. I'm looking for something just to drive and have=
 fun with, without getting smoked by a Prius. I'm
 considering using a roller cam 302 and a 5 speed, because of the ZDDP issu=
e, parts availability, reliability, small boost in power, etc. How much do =
I hurt the value of the car by having the original engine/tranny available =
but newer stuff installed, vs. rebuilding
 the stock units?</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Thanks guys. Looking forward to everyone's input and opinion.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Steve</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_SA1PR06MB83561A6E725A84E67133CDC9D86B9SA1PR06MB8356namp_--

--===============5021836653280620338==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============5021836653280620338==--