Subject: [Tigers] rear main seal leak

From: Richard Hyatt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 15:37:12 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============4858901889369789638==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_001C_01D5505A.A66763D0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01D5505A.A66763D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

HI,

I have just had my engine rebuilt at a well known engine builder. Before it
could be installed I had a rapidly leaking rear main seal. Got it back,
tilted it up for a top installation and yep.still leaks. Slower. This time
with a rope aeal. Will it seat and get better or should it go back again. I
have the whole engine /transmission assy. tilted at about a 45 degree angle
waiting to see how bad the leak is. Any ideas or comments about the rear
main seal?

Thanks. Rick

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01D5505A.A66763D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>HI,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have just had =
my engine rebuilt at a well known engine builder. Before it could be =
installed I had a rapidly leaking rear main seal. Got it back, tilted it =
up for a top installation and yep&#8230;still leaks. Slower. This time =
with a rope aeal. Will it seat and get better or should it go back =
again. I have the whole engine /transmission assy. tilted at about a 45 =
degree angle &nbsp;waiting to see how bad the leak is. Any ideas or =
comments about the rear main seal?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks. Rick<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_001C_01D5505A.A66763D0--

--===============4858901889369789638==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============4858901889369789638==--

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 19:41:09 -0400

--===============3334911461223498900==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0013_01D5507C.BC0D1B40"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01D5507C.BC0D1B40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Rick

First I would ask the engine builder about this problem - see what he has to
say.

It is very possible that the rope seal needs to heat cycle - again ask the
engine builder.

Tom Monroe's book about rebuilding a small block Ford states to use some RTV
on the rear main too.   Ask the engine builder if he used RTV there.

I had a small leak at the rear main so I dropped the pan, removed the rear
bearing cap and put some more RTV along the edges seems to have worked OK.
You probably should only lower the bearing cap a little bit if you decide to
add RTV to the edges

Understand that when the engine is in position there is not a wall of oil
against the bearing cap.   There is oil from the pump at the bearing and
some splashing oil from the crank assembly and the drains but the oil sump
height does not go back to the bearing or near the block level - the oil is
mostly in the deep sump of the pan.

At 45 degrees there is a wall of oil against the bearing cap and block that
is not normally there - this could be part of the problem.

Hope this helps

Ron Fraser

From: Tigers <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Richard Hyatt via
Tigers
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 3:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] rear main seal leak

HI,

Thanks. Rick

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01D5507C.BC0D1B40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Rick<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>First I would =
ask the engine builder about this problem &#8211; see what he has to =
say.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>It is very possible that the rope seal needs to heat =
cycle - again ask the engine builder.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Tom =
Monroe&#8217;s book about rebuilding a small block Ford states to use =
some RTV on the rear main too.&nbsp;&nbsp; Ask the engine builder if he =
used RTV there.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I had a =
small leak at the rear main so I dropped the pan, removed the rear =
bearing cap and put some more RTV along the edges seems to have worked =
OK.&nbsp;&nbsp; You probably should only lower the bearing cap a little =
bit if you decide to add RTV to the edges<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Understand =
that when the engine is in position there is not a wall of oil against =
the bearing cap.&nbsp;&nbsp; There is oil from the pump at the bearing =
and some splashing oil from the crank assembly and the drains but the =
oil sump height does not go back to the bearing or near the block level =
&#8211; the oil is mostly in the deep sump of the pan.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>At 45 =
degrees there is a wall of oil against the bearing cap and block that is =
not normally there &#8211; this could be part of the =
problem.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hope this helps<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Ron =
Fraser<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Tigers =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Richard Hyatt =
via Tigers<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, August 11, 2019 3:37 PM<br><b>To:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Tigers] rear main seal =
leak<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>HI,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I have just had =
my engine rebuilt at a well known engine builder. Before it could be =
installed I had a rapidly leaking rear main seal. Got it back, tilted it =
up for a top installation and yep&#8230;still leaks. Slower. This time =
with a rope aeal. Will it seat and get better or should it go back =
again. I have the whole engine /transmission assy. tilted at about a 45 =
degree angle &nbsp;waiting to see how bad the leak is. Any ideas or =
comments about the rear main seal?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks. Rick<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0013_01D5507C.BC0D1B40--

--===============3334911461223498900==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3334911461223498900==--