Subject: Re: [Tigers] Motor Oil

From: Tod Brown via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 17:19:23 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3081928833405639972==
 boundary="------------010902030004080102050307"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------010902030004080102050307
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

My understanding is that the most important issue with flat-tappet 
engines and lubrication is that
the initial break-in is crucial to longevity. For the first 1500-2000 
miles of operation it is extremely
important that the proper level of zinc additive (i.e. zddp) beprovided 
so that cam surfaces, rings
and cylinder bores be allowed to seat themselves. Newer oils are too 
slick to allow the necessary
scuffing to take place, whereas the presence of zddp provides enough 
friction for the seating to
take place. Once past the initial break-in, zddp is no longer as 
necessary. I have not seen a definitive
statement as to whether zddp is necessary after break-in but many 
sources recommend that an
oil with higher levels of zddp be used.

I found the discussion at 
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-0702-break-in-new-cam/
to be helpful. Note that, at the end of the article, there are some 
recommendations for oils with
higher levels of zddp, usually used in diesel engines.

Cheers,

Tod Brown
B382002384LRXFE
TAC #864

--------------010902030004080102050307
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <font face="Arial">My understanding is that the most important issue
      with flat-tappet engines and lubrication is that<br>
      <font face="Arial">the initial br<font face="Arial">e<font
            face="Arial">ak-in is crucial to longevity. For the first</font></font></font>
      1500-2000 miles <font face="Arial">of operation it is extremely <br>
        <font face="Arial">important that the proper level of zinc
          additive (i.e. zddp) be<font face="Arial"> <font face="Arial">provided
              so that cam surfaces<font face="Arial">, rings<br>
                <font face="Arial">and cylinder bores be allowed to seat
                  themselves. Newer oils are too slick to allow the
                  necessary<br>
                  <font face="Arial">scuffing to take place, whereas the
                    presence of zddp provides enough friction for the
                    seating to <br>
                    <font face="Arial">take place. Once past the initial
                      break-in, zddp is no longer as necessary. I have
                      not seen a definitive<br>
                      <font face="Arial">statement as to whether zddp is
                        necessary after break-in but many sources
                        recommend that an<br>
                        <font face="Arial">oil with higher levels of
                          zddp be used. <br>
                          <br>
                          <font face="Arial">I found the discussion at <a
href="http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-0702-break-in-new-cam/"><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-0702-break-in-new-cam/">http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-0702-break-in-new-cam/</a></a><br>
                            <font face="Arial">to be helpful. Note that<font
                                face="Arial">, at the end of the
                                article, there are some recommendations
                                for oils with<br>
                                <font face="Arial">higher levels of
                                  zddp, usually used in diesel engines.
                                  <br>
                                  <br>
                                  <font face="Arial">Cheers,<br>
                                    <br>
                                    <font face="Arial">Tod Brown<br>
                                      <font face="Arial">B382002384LRXFE<br>
                                        <font face="Arial">TAC #864</font><br>
                                      </font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font>
  </body>
</html>

--------------010902030004080102050307--

--===============3081928833405639972==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============3081928833405639972==--