Subject: [Tigers] Front rotor thickness

From: spmdr--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 12:10:32 -0800

BTW, I did not state the minimum rotor thickness number.

I have never seen a ROOTES FACTORY dimension for the minimum.

As far as I know, IF the rotor needed turning, it was recommended to
replace it.

That being said, it is common for OTHER rotors of the same thickness
(1/2") to have a minimum thickness around  .440 ...I think..??

(.....if I could remember things, I would REALLY be dangerous...)

...or ONLY around .060 (or some metric number close) off, max.

.375 IS TOO thin IMHO.....THAT I DO remember.

YOUR thickness may very....

DW

____________________________________________________________
Want to place your ad here?
Advertise on United Online
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/55f71b6746eba1b67482dst01vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 18:07:31 -0400

DW
	Thanks for your input and for clearing up that point.  I too think
.375" is on the thin side.

Many of today's rotors specify around 1 mm or about .040" from max
thickness; that would be .460" for the Tiger's rotor.
.460" thickness seems a bit conservative to me.

I have a Clymer Publication Service Manual for a 71 Datsun 510.
I believe the 510 had a similar size rotor as the Tiger, I'm going from
memory so I could be wrong.
Datsun Service Manual states .331" as the minimum thickness for the rotors.

.331" thickness seems too extreme to me.  

We need to find a happy point between .460" and .331".

>From a drivers point of view the rotors are too thin if they warp or crack
from the heat during braking.
May we never reach that point.  Be kind to your thinning rotors.

It would be extremely helpful if someone found some factory information or
at least better information about this.
It would be nice to reduce the confusion.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of spmdr---
via Tigers
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2015 4:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Front rotor thickness

As far as I know, IF the rotor needed turning, it was recommended to replace
it.

DW

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.6086 / Virus Database: 4419/10638 - Release Date: 09/14/15

[email-masked]