Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 241

From: robert jaarsma via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 22:58:23 -0400

I found that Moss Motors is the cheapest for the voltage regulator.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 2:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Tigers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 241

Send Tigers mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/tigers
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of Tigers digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. THE TIGER LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1 (Andy Walker)
   2. Re: THE TIGER LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1 ( Ron Fraser)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 23:08:40 -0500
From: "Andy Walker" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Tigers] THE TIGER LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hey, guys:

I finally had the Tiger ready to start today and, with the help of an expert
racing mechanic buddy of mine, we fired it off.  It ran great right off the
bat!!!!  Actually, we had everything statically set pretty close to where it
needed to be.  Once we had run the motor long enough to break in the cam, we
set the timing and tuned the carb until it ran smoothly.  We had just a
little mid-range flutter in the carb under no load but, the longer it ran,
the more that seemed to clear up.  I'll just have to see how that reacts in
the weeks to come.

All is not perfect, however; we still have a couple of problems to work out.
The first is the fact that my factory original tach reads 300 to 400 rpm
higher all through the scale than it should.  We ended up having to use the
tach on my engine analyzer to set the idle.  Do any of you guys know if the
tach can be adjusted from the outside of the unit while it is in operation,
or am I just going to have to send it to someone like Nisonger to get it
calibrated?  

I've also got a problem with my temp gauge as it was reading hotter than it
should.  Actually, it has always read hotter than the motor actually is.
While we were running it today, I had my shop fan blowing into the radiator
to help cool it off.  I was also using my infa-red thermometer to check the
temps at various points in the engine compartment.  The hottest reading we
got was on the thermostat housing itself with 201 degrees.  The radiator and
upper hose read anywhere from 165 to 174 degrees.  The problem is that while
all this was going on, the temp gauge on the dash was reading 240
degrees!!!!  As when I had the old 289 in the car, it never spit a drop of
water, so I really don't think that the temp reading I'm seeing on the dash
is correct.  I've considered that it could be the instrument voltage
stabilizer, but my fuel gauge appears to read correctly.  Does anyone have
any ideas what it could be?  

Thanks for any advice,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://autox.team.net/pipermail/tigers/attachments/20150802/6547e1c4/attach
ment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 08:33:23 -0400
From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Andy Walker'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] THE TIGER LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1

Andy
 
Well done - it lives.
 
The tach has a variable resistor for adjustment.   You can just get to it by
pulling out the illumination bulb and if your little finger is small enough
to get to that resistor and adjust the tach rpm.
 
You should be able to find more information about the tach on Tom Hall's web
site or Tigers United.
 
Most temp gages read wrong either a little or a lot.   Mine is only a little
off.
There is an article at Tigers United that covers the temp gage.
 
Voltage stabilizer can be the problem but the fuel gage would also be
reading wrong.    Electronic voltage stabilizers are available.
 
Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andy Walker
via Tigers
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 12:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] THE TIGER LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hey, guys:

I finally had the Tiger ready to start today and, with the help of an expert
racing mechanic buddy of mine, we fired it off.  It ran great right off the
bat!!!!  Actually, we had everything statically set pretty close to where it
needed to be.  Once we had run the motor long enough to break in the cam, we
set the timing and tuned the carb until it ran smoothly.  We had just a
little mid-range flutter in the carb under no load but, the longer it ran,
the more that seemed to clear up.  I'll just have to see how that reacts in
the weeks to come.

All is not perfect, however; we still have a couple of problems to work out.
The first is the fact that my factory original tach reads 300 to 400 rpm
higher all through the scale than it should.  We ended up having to use the
tach on my engine analyzer to set the idle.  Do any of you guys know if the
tach can be adjusted from the outside of the unit while it is in operation,
or am I just going to have to send it to someone like Nisonger to get it
calibrated?  

I've also got a problem with my temp gauge as it was reading hotter than it
should.  Actually, it has always read hotter than the motor actually is.
While we were running it today, I had my shop fan blowing into the radiator
to help cool it off.  I was also using my infa-red thermometer to check the
temps at various points in the engine compartment.  The hottest reading we
got was on the thermostat housing itself with 201 degrees.  The radiator and
upper hose read anywhere from 165 to 174 degrees.  The problem is that while
all this was going on, the temp gauge on the dash was reading 240
degrees!!!!  As when I had the old 289 in the car, it never spit a drop of
water, so I really don't think that the temp reading I'm seeing on the dash
is correct.  I've considered that it could be the instrument voltage
stabilizer, but my fuel gauge appears to read correctly.  Does anyone have
any ideas what it could be?  

Thanks for any advice,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://autox.team.net/pipermail/tigers/attachments/20150803/95c143ac/attach
ment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
Tigers mailing list
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/tigers

------------------------------

End of Tigers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 241
**************************************

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]