Subject: [Tigers] THE TIGER LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1

From: Andy Walker via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 23:08:40 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============1582618007480293875==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D0CD78.2BE10080"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D0CD78.2BE10080
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hey, guys:

I finally had the Tiger ready to start today and, with the help of an expert
racing mechanic buddy of mine, we fired it off.  It ran great right off the
bat!!!!  Actually, we had everything statically set pretty close to where it
needed to be.  Once we had run the motor long enough to break in the cam, we
set the timing and tuned the carb until it ran smoothly.  We had just a
little mid-range flutter in the carb under no load but, the longer it ran,
the more that seemed to clear up.  I'll just have to see how that reacts in
the weeks to come.

All is not perfect, however; we still have a couple of problems to work out.
The first is the fact that my factory original tach reads 300 to 400 rpm
higher all through the scale than it should.  We ended up having to use the
tach on my engine analyzer to set the idle.  Do any of you guys know if the
tach can be adjusted from the outside of the unit while it is in operation,
or am I just going to have to send it to someone like Nisonger to get it
calibrated?  

I've also got a problem with my temp gauge as it was reading hotter than it
should.  Actually, it has always read hotter than the motor actually is.
While we were running it today, I had my shop fan blowing into the radiator
to help cool it off.  I was also using my infa-red thermometer to check the
temps at various points in the engine compartment.  The hottest reading we
got was on the thermostat housing itself with 201 degrees.  The radiator and
upper hose read anywhere from 165 to 174 degrees.  The problem is that while
all this was going on, the temp gauge on the dash was reading 240
degrees!!!!  As when I had the old 289 in the car, it never spit a drop of
water, so I really don't think that the temp reading I'm seeing on the dash
is correct.  I've considered that it could be the instrument voltage
stabilizer, but my fuel gauge appears to read correctly.  Does anyone have
any ideas what it could be?  

Thanks for any advice,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D0CD78.2BE10080
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hey, guys:<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I finally =
had the Tiger ready to start today and, with the help of an expert =
racing mechanic buddy of mine, we fired it off.&nbsp; It ran great right =
off the bat!!!!&nbsp; Actually, we had everything statically set pretty =
close to where it needed to be.&nbsp; Once we had run the motor long =
enough to break in the cam, we set the timing and tuned the carb until =
it ran smoothly.&nbsp; We had just a little mid-range flutter in the =
carb under no load but, the longer it ran, the more that seemed to clear =
up.&nbsp; I&#8217;ll just have to see how that reacts in the weeks to =
come.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>All is not perfect, however; we still have a couple of =
problems to work out.&nbsp; The first is the fact that my factory =
original tach reads 300 to 400 rpm higher all through the scale than it =
should.&nbsp; We ended up having to use the tach on my engine analyzer =
to set the idle.&nbsp; Do any of you guys know if the tach can be =
adjusted from the outside of the unit while it is in operation, or am I =
just going to have to send it to someone like Nisonger to get it =
calibrated?&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I&#8217;ve =
also got a problem with my temp gauge as it was reading hotter than it =
should.&nbsp; Actually, it has always read hotter than the motor =
actually is.&nbsp; While we were running it today, I had my shop fan =
blowing into the radiator to help cool it off.&nbsp; I was also using my =
infa-red thermometer to check the temps at various points in the engine =
compartment.&nbsp; The hottest reading we got was on the thermostat =
housing itself with 201 degrees.&nbsp; The radiator and upper hose read =
anywhere from 165 to 174 degrees.&nbsp; The problem is that while all =
this was going on, the temp gauge on the dash was reading 240 =
degrees!!!!&nbsp; As when I had the old 289 in the car, it never spit a =
drop of water, so I really don&#8217;t think that the temp reading =
I&#8217;m seeing on the dash is correct.&nbsp; I&#8217;ve considered =
that it could be the instrument voltage stabilizer, but my fuel gauge =
appears to read correctly.&nbsp; Does anyone have any ideas what it =
could be?&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks for =
any advice,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Andy =
Walker<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Edmond, =
OK<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D0CD78.2BE10080--

--===============1582618007480293875==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============1582618007480293875==--

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 08:33:23 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============1713770906703317687==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0005_01D0CDC7.113F9530"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D0CDC7.113F9530
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Andy
=20
Well done - it lives.
=20
The tach has a variable resistor for adjustment.   You can just get to =
it by
pulling out the illumination bulb and if your little finger is small =
enough
to get to that resistor and adjust the tach rpm.
=20
You should be able to find more information about the tach on Tom Hall's =
web
site or Tigers United.
=20
Most temp gages read wrong either a little or a lot.   Mine is only a =
little
off.
There is an article at Tigers United that covers the temp gage.
=20
Voltage stabilizer can be the problem but the fuel gage would also be
reading wrong.    Electronic voltage stabilizers are available.
=20
Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andy =
Walker
via Tigers
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 12:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] THE TIGER LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hey, guys:

=20

I finally had the Tiger ready to start today and, with the help of an =
expert
racing mechanic buddy of mine, we fired it off.  It ran great right off =
the
bat!!!!  Actually, we had everything statically set pretty close to =
where it
needed to be.  Once we had run the motor long enough to break in the =
cam, we
set the timing and tuned the carb until it ran smoothly.  We had just a
little mid-range flutter in the carb under no load but, the longer it =
ran,
the more that seemed to clear up.  I'll just have to see how that reacts =
in
the weeks to come.

=20

All is not perfect, however; we still have a couple of problems to work =
out.
The first is the fact that my factory original tach reads 300 to 400 rpm
higher all through the scale than it should.  We ended up having to use =
the
tach on my engine analyzer to set the idle.  Do any of you guys know if =
the
tach can be adjusted from the outside of the unit while it is in =
operation,
or am I just going to have to send it to someone like Nisonger to get it
calibrated? =20

=20

I've also got a problem with my temp gauge as it was reading hotter than =
it
should.  Actually, it has always read hotter than the motor actually is.
While we were running it today, I had my shop fan blowing into the =
radiator
to help cool it off.  I was also using my infa-red thermometer to check =
the
temps at various points in the engine compartment.  The hottest reading =
we
got was on the thermostat housing itself with 201 degrees.  The radiator =
and
upper hose read anywhere from 165 to 174 degrees.  The problem is that =
while
all this was going on, the temp gauge on the dash was reading 240
degrees!!!!  As when I had the old 289 in the car, it never spit a drop =
of
water, so I really don't think that the temp reading I'm seeing on the =
dash
is correct.  I've considered that it could be the instrument voltage
stabilizer, but my fuel gauge appears to read correctly.  Does anyone =
have
any ideas what it could be? =20

=20

Thanks for any advice,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D0CDC7.113F9530
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal-compose
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri",sans-serif; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D921271712-03082015>Andy</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D921271712-03082015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D921271712-03082015>Well=20
done - it lives.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D921271712-03082015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D921271712-03082015>The=20
tach has a variable resistor for adjustment.&nbsp;&nbsp; You can just =
get to it=20
by pulling out the illumination bulb and if your little finger is small =
enough=20
to get to that resistor and adjust the tach rpm.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D921271712-03082015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D921271712-03082015>You=20
should be able to find more information about the tach on Tom Hall's web =
site or=20
Tigers United.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D921271712-03082015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D921271712-03082015>Most=20
temp gages read wrong either a little or a lot.&nbsp;&nbsp; Mine is only =
a=20
little off.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D921271712-03082015>There=20
is&nbsp;an article at Tigers United that covers the temp=20
gage.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D921271712-03082015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D921271712-03082015>Voltage stabilizer can be the problem but the =
fuel gage=20
would also be reading wrong.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Electronic voltage =
stabilizers=20
are available.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D921271712-03082015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D921271712-03082015>Ron=20
Fraser</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr lang=3Den-us class=3DOutlookMessageHeader =
align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Tigers=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]] <B>On Behalf Of </B>Andy Walker =
via=20
  Tigers<BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, August 03, 2015 12:09 AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Tigers] THE TIGER=20
  LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Hey, guys:<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>I finally had the Tiger ready to start today and, =
with the=20
  help of an expert racing mechanic buddy of mine, we fired it =
off.&nbsp; It ran=20
  great right off the bat!!!!&nbsp; Actually, we had everything =
statically set=20
  pretty close to where it needed to be.&nbsp; Once we had run the motor =
long=20
  enough to break in the cam, we set the timing and tuned the carb until =
it ran=20
  smoothly.&nbsp; We had just a little mid-range flutter in the carb =
under no=20
  load but, the longer it ran, the more that seemed to clear up.&nbsp; =
I&#8217;ll just=20
  have to see how that reacts in the weeks to come.<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>All is not perfect, however; we still have a =
couple of=20
  problems to work out.&nbsp; The first is the fact that my factory =
original=20
  tach reads 300 to 400 rpm higher all through the scale than it =
should.&nbsp;=20
  We ended up having to use the tach on my engine analyzer to set the=20
  idle.&nbsp; Do any of you guys know if the tach can be adjusted from =
the=20
  outside of the unit while it is in operation, or am I just going to =
have to=20
  send it to someone like Nisonger to get it calibrated?&nbsp; =
<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>I&#8217;ve also got a problem with my temp gauge =
as it was=20
  reading hotter than it should.&nbsp; Actually, it has always read =
hotter than=20
  the motor actually is.&nbsp; While we were running it today, I had my =
shop fan=20
  blowing into the radiator to help cool it off.&nbsp; I was also using =
my=20
  infa-red thermometer to check the temps at various points in the =
engine=20
  compartment.&nbsp; The hottest reading we got was on the thermostat =
housing=20
  itself with 201 degrees.&nbsp; The radiator and upper hose read =
anywhere from=20
  165 to 174 degrees.&nbsp; The problem is that while all this was going =
on, the=20
  temp gauge on the dash was reading 240 degrees!!!!&nbsp; As when I had =
the old=20
  289 in the car, it never spit a drop of water, so I really don&#8217;t =
think that=20
  the temp reading I&#8217;m seeing on the dash is correct.&nbsp; =
I&#8217;ve considered that=20
  it could be the instrument voltage stabilizer, but my fuel gauge =
appears to=20
  read correctly.&nbsp; Does anyone have any ideas what it could =
be?&nbsp;=20
  <o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks for any advice,<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Andy Walker<o:p></o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal>Edmond, =
OK<o:p></o:p></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D0CDC7.113F9530--

--===============1713770906703317687==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1713770906703317687==--

---

From: "e.coiner--- via Tigers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:17:43 -0700

What is the provenance of your temp sending unit on the engine?
It could be the wrong one.

erich

[email-masked]

---

From: Andy Walker via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 20:10:13 -0500

Hi, Erich:

Actually, it is a brand new unit from Rick at Sunbeam Specialties.  I would surely think that he would be selling the proper sending unit for a Tiger.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2015 6:18 PM
To: Andy Walker <[email-masked]>
Cc: Andy Walker via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] THE TIGER LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!1

erich
---- Andy Walker via Tigers <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Hey, guys:
> 
>  
> 
> I finally had the Tiger ready to start today and, with the help of an 
> expert racing mechanic buddy of mine, we fired it off.  It ran great 
> right off the bat!!!!  Actually, we had everything statically set 
> pretty close to where it needed to be.  Once we had run the motor long 
> enough to break in the cam, we set the timing and tuned the carb until 
> it ran smoothly.  We had just a little mid-range flutter in the carb 
> under no load but, the longer it ran, the more that seemed to clear 
> up.  I'll just have to see how that reacts in the weeks to come.
> 
>  
> 
> The first is the fact that my factory original tach reads 300 to 400 
> rpm higher all through the scale than it should.  We ended up having 
> to use the tach on my engine analyzer to set the idle.  Do any of you 
> guys know if the tach can be adjusted from the outside of the unit 
> while it is in operation, or am I just going to have to send it to 
> someone like Nisonger to get it calibrated?
> 
>  
> 
> I've also got a problem with my temp gauge as it was reading hotter 
> than it should.  Actually, it has always read hotter than the motor actually is.
> While we were running it today, I had my shop fan blowing into the 
> radiator to help cool it off.  I was also using my infa-red 
> thermometer to check the temps at various points in the engine 
> compartment.  The hottest reading we got was on the thermostat housing 
> itself with 201 degrees.  The radiator and upper hose read anywhere 
> from 165 to 174 degrees.  The problem is that while all this was going 
> on, the temp gauge on the dash was reading 240 degrees!!!!  As when I 
> had the old 289 in the car, it never spit a drop of water, so I really 
> don't think that the temp reading I'm seeing on the dash is correct.  
> I've considered that it could be the instrument voltage stabilizer, 
> but my fuel gauge appears to read correctly.  Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks for any advice,
> 
> Andy Walker
> 
> Edmond, OK
> 

[email-masked]