Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb Fire Continued

From: Mark Rense via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 14:21:55 -0400

--===============0881770698632391543==

--001a11c335602543b8051e9f8215

I have always suspected that it was fuel boiling in the bowls combined with
a faulty vent that allowed overflow and fires. Boiling is so bad on my car
with an F4B intake that I installed a fuel pump cutoff switch which I would
use about a minute before shutting down the engine. This helped hot start
significantly.

My other car with a 2121 manifold and thermal isolator between it and the
carb does not suffer the  issue.
Bugz

--001a11c335602543b8051e9f8215
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have always suspected that it was fuel boiling in the bowls combined with=
 a faulty vent that allowed overflow and fires. Boiling is so bad on my car=
 with an F4B intake=C2=A0that I installed a fuel pump cutoff switch which I=
 would use about a minute before shutting down the engine. This helped hot =
start significantly.=C2=A0<div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"m=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
</blockquote></div><div><br></div><div>My other car with a 2121 manifold an=
d thermal isolator between it and the carb does not suffer the=C2=A0=C2=A0i=
ssue.=C2=A0</div><div>Bugz=C2=A0<span></span></div>

--001a11c335602543b8051e9f8215--

--===============0881770698632391543==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============0881770698632391543==--

---

From: Gary Winblad via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:37:23 +0000 (UTC)

Well...
I am definitely in the "has a history" camp. 

When I bought my Tiger in 1971 I definitely had the problem.
In my case it was cold starts.  Every once in a while (well frequently)
but intermittently I would turn on the pump in the morning and hear
the familiar plink-plink sound... and hear the plink-plink sound...
and hear the...  well you get the idea.  Open hood and see the intake
manifold all wet and puddled.  It got so bad I just drove it that way,
fortunately it never caught fire.. surprisingly..  dumb kid!

I tried checking everything and several new inlet valves but it still
did it occasionally.  I didn't get it finally fixed until 1973 when I
bought a Holley that is still on the car.  Now of course Holley's have
their own fuel leak problems but never a stuck inlet valve...

Gary

----- Original Message -----
From: Stu via Tigers <[email-masked]>
To: Tiger Net <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:44:22 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [Tigers] Carb Fire Continued

Michael King thinks there's a history of the stock carbs lighting things up
on hot restarts.  Does anyone else have any history?

Does anyone know what the mechanism might be?  I know the accelerator pump
is OK, nothing dripping there.  The only other logical explanation is fuel
being forced out the bowl vent.  I'll look for traces when I take the
photos tonight.  Could the float valve  works have occasional issues?  A
sinking float?  Could fuel be boiling from the heat soak when its shut
off?  Or when fuel hits the hot bowl when the pump starts?  Any other
theories?

Stu

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:28:53 -0700

I found this article regarding people running the Autolite carb in off road 
situations 
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1697898-wheeling-carb.html 
.  Thought it might be helpful. At least the modifications are all 
reversible. I'd also think that one could run hoses off the vents and just 
exit them to a catch can. Not ideal for a stock air cleaner, but a small 
hole in aftermarket item would seem doable. For what it is worth the SU's on 
my Datsun 510 have banjo type fittings on the top of the float bowl, that 
attach to metal tubes about 18" long, and these exit near the oil pan.

My guess is that the fuel is boiling and the float is bouncing off bubbles 
rather than supported by a (for lack of a better term) "solid" fuel.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Gary Winblad via Tigers
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2015 2:37 PM
To: Stu
Cc: Tiger Net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb Fire Continued

Well...

Gary

----- Original Message -----
From: Stu via Tigers <[email-masked]>
To: Tiger Net <[email-masked]>
Sent: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:44:22 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [Tigers] Carb Fire Continued

Stu

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]