Subject: Re: [Tigers] The Tiger Lives!!!

From: Tod Brown via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 19:37:46 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6596730422536443618==
 boundary="------------070409070402020400030408"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------070409070402020400030408
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Andy:

Congratulations! Any time another Tiger is added to thelist of the 
living it is amajor accomplishment.

On the subject of gauge calibration, etc, I would suggest you read 
StuBrennan's article on Tigers United.
http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.aspif you 
haven't already.

Based on the article, it is clear that when the temperature gauge is 
reading too high, as in your case,
it can be corrected in a fairly straightforward way without the expense 
of getting it recalibrated.
>From Stu's article, it can be seen that a high reading is caused by a 
low resistance of the gauge. What
I did to correct the situation was to first obtain a variable resistor 
(a pot, or potentiometer) and place
it in series with the gauge. You will see, then, as you increase the 
resistance of the pot, the gauge reading
will fall. By taking the actual temperature with your ir thermometer, 
you can adjust the pot so that the
reading of the gauge agrees with your thermometer. You can then use a 
multimeter to read the actual
resistance of thepot and replace the pot with a fixed resistor of about 
the matching value. I did this
several years ago and it has proven to be a permanent fix since I have 
occasionally checked the calibration
with my ir thermometer.

As far as the problem with the tach, my suggestion is that you sendthe 
tach to Tom Hall and have him
do the solid state conversion. It's the best solution IMHO and it's 
essentially permanent.

Cheers,

Tod Brown
B382002384LRXFE
TAC 864

--------------070409070402020400030408
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <font face="Arial">Andy:<br>
      <br>
      <font face="Arial">Congra<font face="Arial">tulations! Any tim<font
            face="Arial">e another Tiger is added to the<font
              face="Arial"> list of the living it is a<font face="Arial">
                major accomplishment.<br>
                <br>
                <font face="Arial">On the subject of g<font face="Arial">auge
                    calibration, etc, I would suggest you read Stu<font
                      face="Arial"> Bren<font face="Arial">nan's article
                        on Tigers United.<br>
                        <a
href="http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp"><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp">http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp</a></a><font
                          face="Arial"> if you haven't already.<br>
                          <br>
                          <font face="Arial">Based on the article, it is
                            clear that when t<font face="Arial">he <font
                                face="Arial">temp<font face="Arial">eratu<font
                                    face="Arial">re gauge is reading too
                                    high, as in your ca<font
                                      face="Arial">se,<br>
                                      <font face="Arial">it can be
                                        corrected in a fairly
                                        straightforward way without <font
                                          face="Arial">t<font
                                            face="Arial">he expense of <font
                                              face="Arial">getting it
                                              recalibr<font face="Arial">ated<font
                                                  face="Arial">.<br>
                                                  <font face="Arial">From
                                                    Stu's article, it
                                                    can be seen that a
                                                    high reading is
                                                    caused by a low res<font
                                                      face="Arial">istance
                                                      of the gauge. What<br>
                                                      <font face="Arial">I
                                                        did to correct
                                                        the situation
                                                        was to first ob<font
                                                          face="Arial">tain
                                                          a variable
                                                          resistor (<font
                                                          face="Arial">a
                                                          pot, or
                                                          potenti<font
                                                          face="Arial">ometer)
                                                          and place<br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">it
                                                          in series with
                                                          the gauge. You
                                                          will see,
                                                          then, as you
                                                          increase the
                                                          resistanc</font>e
                                                          of the pot,
                                                          the gauge
                                                          reading<br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">will
                                                          fall. By
                                                          taking the ac<font
                                                          face="Arial">tual
                                                          temperature
                                                          with <font
                                                          face="Arial">your
                                                          ir thermome<font
                                                          face="Arial">ter,
                                                          you can adjust
                                                          the <font
                                                          face="Arial">pot
                                                          so that the<br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">reading
                                                          of the gauge
                                                          agrees with
                                                          your thermome<font
                                                          face="Arial">ter.
                                                          You can the<font
                                                          face="Arial">n
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">use
                                                          a multimeter
                                                          to read the
                                                          actual <br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">resi<font
                                                          face="Arial">stance
                                                          of the<font
                                                          face="Arial">
                                                          pot and
                                                          replace the
                                                          pot with a
                                                          fixed resistor
                                                          of about the
                                                          matching
                                                          value. I did
                                                          this <br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">several
                                                          years ago and
                                                          it has proven
                                                          to be a
                                                          permanent fix
                                                          si<font
                                                          face="Arial">nce
                                                          I have
                                                          occasionally
                                                          checked the
                                                          calibration<br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">with
                                                          my ir
                                                          thermometer.<br>
                                                          <br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">As
                                                          far as the
                                                          prob<font
                                                          face="Arial">lem
                                                          with the tach,
                                                          my suggest<font
                                                          face="Arial">ion
                                                          is that you
                                                          send<font
                                                          face="Arial">
                                                          the tach to
                                                          Tom Hall and
                                                          have him<br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">do
                                                          the solid
                                                          state convers<font
                                                          face="Arial">ion.
                                                          It's the best
                                                          solution IMHO
                                                          and it<font
                                                          face="Arial">'s
                                                          essentially
                                                          permanent.<br>
                                                          <br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">Cheers,<br>
                                                          <br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">Tod
                                                          Brown<br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">B382002384LRXFE<br>
                                                          <font
                                                          face="Arial">TAC
                                                          86<font
                                                          face="Arial">4</font></font><br>
                                                          </font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font>
  </body>
</html>

--------------070409070402020400030408--

--===============6596730422536443618==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============6596730422536443618==--

---

From: Stu via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 20:37:36 -0400

--===============6887652783991933281==

--047d7bdc865c1cfed1051c717e47

Good suggestion.  Be sure to read the section on the panel voltage
regulator.  If it's ground connection (its mounting foot) isn't making a
good connection to ground, both the temp and fuel gages will read high.  If
it's the stock panel regulator, look for it to be switching multiple times
per second.

Stu
Visiting the left coast

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Tod Brown via Tigers <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Andy:
>
> Congratulations! Any time another Tiger is added to the list of the
> living it is a major accomplishment.
>
> On the subject of gauge calibration, etc, I would suggest you read Stu
> Brennan's article on Tigers United.
> <http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp>
> http://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp if you
> haven't already.
>
> From Stu's article, it can be seen that a high reading is caused by a low
> resistance of the gauge. What
> I did to correct the situation was to first obtain a variable resistor (a
> pot, or potentiometer) and place
> will fall. By taking the actual temperature with your ir thermometer, you
> can adjust the pot so that the
> resistance of the pot and replace the pot with a fixed resistor of about
> As far as the problem with the tach, my suggestion is that you send the
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
>
>

--047d7bdc865c1cfed1051c717e47
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Goo=
d suggestion.=C2=A0 Be sure to read the section on the panel voltage regula=
tor.=C2=A0 If it&#39;s ground connection (its mounting foot) isn&#39;t maki=
ng a good connection to ground, both the temp and fuel gages will read high=
.=C2=A0 If it&#39;s the stock panel regulator, look for it to be switching =
multiple times per second.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-=
size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small=
">Stu</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Visiting =
the left coast</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmai=
l_quote">On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Tod Brown via Tigers <span dir=3D"=
ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">tigers@=
autox.team.net</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" s=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20

   =20
 =20
  <div bgcolor=3D"#FFFFFF" text=3D"#000000">
    <font face=3D"Arial">Andy:<br>
      <br>
      <font face=3D"Arial">Congra<font face=3D"Arial">tulations! Any tim<fo=
nt face=3D"Arial">e another Tiger is added to the<font face=3D"Arial"> list=
 of the living it is a<font face=3D"Arial">
                major accomplishment.<br>
                <br>
                <font face=3D"Arial">On the subject of g<font face=3D"Arial=
">auge
                    calibration, etc, I would suggest you read Stu<font fac=
e=3D"Arial"> Bren<font face=3D"Arial">nan&#39;s article
                        on Tigers United.<br>
                        <a href=3D"http://tigersunited.com/techtips/Brennan=
Gauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp" target=3D"_blank"></a><a href=3D"http://tigersu=
nited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://tigersunited.com/techtips/BrennanGauge/rt-BrennanGauge1.asp</a><font fa=
ce=3D"Arial"> if you haven&#39;t already.<br>
                          <br>
                          <font face=3D"Arial">Based on the article, it is
                            clear that when t<font face=3D"Arial">he <font =
face=3D"Arial">temp<font face=3D"Arial">eratu<font face=3D"Arial">re gauge =
is reading too
                                    high, as in your ca<font face=3D"Arial"=
>se,<br>
                                      <font face=3D"Arial">it can be
                                        corrected in a fairly
                                        straightforward way without <font f=
ace=3D"Arial">t<font face=3D"Arial">he expense of <font face=3D"Arial">gett=
ing it
                                              recalibr<font face=3D"Arial">=
ated<font face=3D"Arial">.<br>
                                                  <font face=3D"Arial">From
                                                    Stu&#39;s article, it
                                                    can be seen that a
                                                    high reading is
                                                    caused by a low res<fon=
t face=3D"Arial">istance
                                                      of the gauge. What<br=
                                                      <font face=3D"Arial">=
I
                                                        did to correct
                                                        the situation
                                                        was to first ob<fon=
t face=3D"Arial">tain
                                                          a variable
                                                          resistor (<font f=
ace=3D"Arial">a
                                                          pot, or
                                                          potenti<font face=
=3D"Arial">ometer)
                                                          and place<br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">it
                                                          in series with
                                                          the gauge. You
                                                          will see,
                                                          then, as you
                                                          increase the
                                                          resistanc</font>e
                                                          of the pot,
                                                          the gauge
                                                          reading<br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">will
                                                          fall. By
                                                          taking the ac<fon=
t face=3D"Arial">tual
                                                          temperature
                                                          with <font face=
=3D"Arial">your
                                                          ir thermome<font =
face=3D"Arial">ter,
                                                          you can adjust
                                                          the <font face=3D=
"Arial">pot
                                                          so that the<br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">reading
                                                          of the gauge
                                                          agrees with
                                                          your thermome<fon=
t face=3D"Arial">ter.
                                                          You can the<font =
face=3D"Arial">n
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">use
                                                          a multimeter
                                                          to read the
                                                          actual <br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">resi<font face=3D"Arial">stance
                                                          of the<font face=
=3D"Arial">
                                                          pot and
                                                          replace the
                                                          pot with a
                                                          fixed resistor
                                                          of about the
                                                          matching
                                                          value. I did
                                                          this <br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">several
                                                          years ago and
                                                          it has proven
                                                          to be a
                                                          permanent fix
                                                          si<font face=3D"A=
rial">nce
                                                          I have
                                                          occasionally
                                                          checked the
                                                          calibration<br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">with
                                                          my ir
                                                          thermometer.<br>
                                                          <br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">As
                                                          far as the
                                                          prob<font face=3D=
"Arial">lem
                                                          with the tach,
                                                          my suggest<font f=
ace=3D"Arial">ion
                                                          is that you
                                                          send<font face=3D=
"Arial">
                                                          the tach to
                                                          Tom Hall and
                                                          have him<br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">do
                                                          the solid
                                                          state convers<fon=
t face=3D"Arial">ion.
                                                          It&#39;s the best
                                                          solution IMHO
                                                          and it<font face=
=3D"Arial">&#39;s
                                                          essentially
                                                          permanent.<br>
                                                          <br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">Cheers,<br>
                                                          <br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">Tod
                                                          Brown<br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">B382002384LRXFE<br>
                                                          <font face=3D"Ari=
al">TAC
                                                          86<font face=3D"A=
rial">4</font></font><br>
                                                          </font></font></f=
ont></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font><=
/font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font=
></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></fo=
nt></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></=
font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font>
  </div>

<br>_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
Unsubscribe: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/sabre2=
[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/m=
ailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
<br>
<br></blockquote></div><br></div>

--047d7bdc865c1cfed1051c717e47--

--===============6887652783991933281==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6887652783991933281==--