Subject: [Tigers] Tigers' various lock cylinders

From: awtiger--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 16:36:31 -0400

Hey, guys:

Does anybody know right off the top of their head how many different keys a Tiger was supposed to have?  My car, of course, has the customary array of key switches and locks (ignition, doors, center console, boot), but each lock has a different key.  For instance, my car has two keys; the ignition key starts the car and unlocks the driver's door, but won't unlock the passenger door, the center console or the boot.  The other key unlocks the passenger door, but won't start the car or unlock the driver's door, the center console, or the boot.  Basically, I have no keys that operate the center console and boot locks (so much for security), and I have two separate keys for both doors.  Has anybody else run into this situation and, if so, how did you go about straightening it out?  

BTW...I'm now down to waiting on parts from Rick at SS.  All I have left to do is receive and install the miscellaneous interior panel kit and get the seats recovered (at the upholstery shop as we speak).  Then, it's bleed the hydraulics, fill the mechanicals with oil and water, and fire it up.  Hopefully, it'll make all the proper noises once it fires!!!!!

Thanks a million,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Witt via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:56:09 -0700

Many of the car locks are wafer locks. Basically thin, flat pieces of brass 
that slide in channels. In the locked position they extend outward of the 
internal cylinder into a groove in the outer cylinder. Thus the lock doesn't 
turn. When the key is inserted it matches the internal slot on each wafer. 
This aligns all the wafers to match the internal cylinder and the lock 
rotates. This might help better understand. 
http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?t=10541 Your options are:
1. Pay a lock smith to rectify the problem.
2. Attempt dealing with it yourself. Sometimes you can juggle the wafers 
around and have them line up.
3. You can do the quick and dirty trick I use. I remove the inner cylinder. 
Inset the key of choice. Whatever wafer protrude up I file off.  This 
reduces the lock strength because whatever gets filed off is that much less 
to hold in the outer cylinder channel when the key is removed. But, hey it's 
free and frankly most car locks only keep honest people honest. They don't 
deter the determined thief.

-----Original Message----- 
From: awtiger--- via Tigers
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2015 1:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Tigers' various lock cylinders

Hey, guys:

Does anybody know right off the top of their head how many different keys a 
Tiger was supposed to have?  My car, of course, has the customary array of 
key switches and locks (ignition, doors, center console, boot), but each 
lock has a different key.  For instance, my car has two keys; the ignition 
key starts the car and unlocks the driver's door, but won't unlock the 
passenger door, the center console or the boot.  The other key unlocks the 
passenger door, but won't start the car or unlock the driver's door, the 
center console, or the boot.  Basically, I have no keys that operate the 
center console and boot locks (so much for security), and I have two 
separate keys for both doors.  Has anybody else run into this situation and, 
if so, how did you go about straightening it out?

BTW...I'm now down to waiting on parts from Rick at SS.  All I have left to 
do is receive and install the miscellaneous interior panel kit and get the 
seats recovered (at the upholstery shop as we speak).  Then, it's bleed the 
hydraulics, fill the mechanicals with oil and water, and fire it up. 
Hopefully, it'll make all the proper noises once it fires!!!!!

Thanks a million,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK

[email-masked]

---

From: "e.coiner--- via Tigers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 15:04:08 -0700

You should have two keys.

One key opens console and trunk.

Other key does doors and ignition.

---- awtiger--- via Tigers <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> 
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 20:00:27 -0400

Nuts I forgot to Reply All and add Tiger list.  2nd try

Andy 
There are 2 keys as stated below.

If you pull the tumbler out of each lock you might be able to change
positions of the brass key ways to fit your keys.

A locksmith should be able to do this no problem.  

I believe there are brass key way kits available to help with this problem.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of e.coiner---
via Tigers
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2015 6:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: awtiger--- via Tigers
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers' various lock cylinders

---- awtiger--- via Tigers <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Hey, guys:
> 
> Does anybody know right off the top of their head how many different 
> keys a Tiger was supposed to have?  My car, of course, has the customary
array of key switches and locks (ignition, doors, center console, boot), but
each lock has a different key.  For instance, my car has two keys; the
ignition key starts the car and unlocks the driver's door, but won't unlock
the passenger door, the center console or the boot.  The other key unlocks
the passenger door, but won't start the car or unlock the driver's door, the
center console, or the boot.  Basically, I have no keys that operate the
center console and boot locks (so much for security), and I have two
separate keys for both doors.  Has anybody else run into this situation and,
if so, how did you go about straightening it out?
> 
> BTW...I'm now down to waiting on parts from Rick at SS.  All I have 
> left to do is receive and install the miscellaneous interior panel kit 
> and get the seats recovered (at the upholstery shop as we speak).  
> Then, it's bleed the hydraulics, fill the mechanicals with oil and 
> water, and fire it up.  Hopefully, it'll make all the proper noises 
> once it fires!!!!!
> 
> Thanks a million,
> Andy Walker
> Edmond, OK
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> 
> 

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.5961 / Virus Database: 4365/10045 - Release Date: 06/18/15

[email-masked]