Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 185

From: Darrell Mountjoy via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:33:49 -0700

Theo,

This sounds suspiciously like an air pocket.  I've had the same scenario on
new motor builds.  Be cautious and make no assumptions.

Darrell  
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:29:30 -0600 (MDT)
From: Theo Smit <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Tigers] Running hot... new 5.0

Hi all,
Fired up the new 5.0 this morning and it seems to be OK for temperature for
a while (around 180 on the gauge), then suddenly the gauge takes off to the
right, 200 plus degrees, and it will start spitting out of the radiator cap
vent. Shutting the engine down for a few minutes and then firing it back up
gives normal-ish temperatures again. This happens out on the road as well -
I've managed a couple of 15 minute test drives but several times had the
temperature suddenly rise under light load (50-60 mph with some
accelerations). 

It's a Ford Motorsport X302D, with Edelbrock water pump and Griffin aluminum
radiator, 14" stainless flex fan with shroud. The engine shipped with a
Holley Street Avenger carb and MSD distributor so that's what is on it. 32
or 34 degrees total advance, I put in the medium springs so it's all in by
about 3000 RPM. 

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's just localized air pockets that will burp their
way out but it would be nice to get away from the ragged edge of puking
green stuff. Still planning to bring it to TU next weekend but I'm
trailering to get there. 

Thanks, 
Theo 

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: rollright--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 18:38:28 -0400

Before I read Don's response, thermostat popped into mind because of the time duration. I think he's right. Jim Armstrong

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 13, 2015, at 5:39 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Send Tigers mailing list submissions to
>    [email-masked]
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/tigers
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    [email-masked]
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    [email-masked]
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Tigers digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Running hot... new 5.0 (Theo Smit)
>   2. Re: Running hot... new 5.0 (Armacost, Don Jr.)
> 
> 
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Hi all, 
> Fired up the new 5.0 this morning and it seems to be OK for temperature for a while (around 180 on the gauge), then suddenly the gauge takes off to the right, 200 plus degrees, and it will start spitting out of the radiator cap vent. Shutting the engine down for a few minutes and then firing it back up gives normal-ish temperatures again. This happens out on the road as well - I've managed a couple of 15 minute test drives but several times had the temperature suddenly rise under light load (50-60 mph with some accelerations). 
> 
> 
> It's a Ford Motorsport X302D, with Edelbrock water pump and Griffin aluminum radiator, 14" stainless flex fan with shroud. The engine shipped with a Holley Street Avenger carb and MSD distributor so that's what is on it. 32 or 34 degrees total advance, I put in the medium springs so it's all in by about 3000 RPM. 
> 
> 
> Any ideas? I'm hoping it's just localized air pockets that will burp their way out but it would be nice to get away from the ragged edge of puking green stuff. Still planning to bring it to TU next weekend but I'm trailering to get there. 
> 
> 
> Thanks, 
> Theo 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/tigers/attachments/20150613/bc50f01e/attachment-0001.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 21:39:17 +0000
> From: "Armacost, Don Jr." <[email-masked]>
> To: Theo Smit <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Tigers] Running hot... new 5.0
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> I had this happen to me with one of my street rods.  Problem turned out to be a burr on the thermostat that would stop it from cycling and cause a heat rise. Pressure would build and blow it open and temp would drop and then it would stick again and temp  would rise again.  Suggest you check and replace the thermostat.
> 
> 
> 
> Don Armacost Jr
> President -CEO
> Peterson Manufacturing Co.
> 816-765-2000<tel:816-765-2000>
> 
> 
> 
> Hi all,
> Fired up the new 5.0 this morning and it seems to be OK for temperature for a while (around 180 on the gauge), then suddenly the gauge takes off to the right, 200 plus degrees, and it will start spitting out of the radiator cap vent. Shutting the engine down for a few minutes and then firing it back up gives normal-ish temperatures again. This happens out on the road as well - I've managed a couple of 15 minute test drives but several times had the temperature suddenly rise under light load (50-60 mph with some accelerations).
> 
> It's a Ford Motorsport X302D, with Edelbrock water pump and Griffin aluminum radiator, 14" stainless flex fan with shroud. The engine shipped with a Holley Street Avenger carb and MSD distributor so that's what is on it. 32 or 34 degrees total advance, I put in the medium springs so it's all in by about 3000 RPM.
> 
> Any ideas? I'm hoping it's just localized air pockets that will burp their way out but it would be nice to get away from the ragged edge of puking green stuff. Still planning to bring it to TU next weekend but I'm trailering to get there.
> 
> Thanks,
> Theo
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> 
> 
> 
> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the Recipient. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Peterson Manufacturing and subsidiaries. Although Peterson Manufacturing and subsidiaries has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/tigers/attachments/20150613/66429b19/attachment.html>
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> Tigers mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/tigers
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Tigers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 185
> **************************************

[email-masked]

---

From: Theo Smit via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 19:35:20 -0600 (MDT)

--===============3068695581807694843==
	boundary="----=_Part_10436596_1002387204.1434245720446"

------=_Part_10436596_1002387204.1434245720446
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Jim, Don, Dave, Darrell (and everyone else): 
I went out and got a new thermostat. I first asked the counter guy for a (another) 180 degree thermostat but I decided that I should try a 160 for the time being and if things all work out then I can eventually go back to a 180. While I had both the new and old thermostats out I figured I would put them both in a pot of water and check functionality just to be safe. The time delay on a thermostat's operation is evidently still pretty large even when it's in a bath of water... the water was about 170 (IR thermometer checked) before the 160 started to do anything and even at 200 degrees (bubbles starting to form on the bottom of the pot) the 180 was just barely open. 

So it's now all back together and tomorrow I'll take it for another rip. Then pack tools and some distilled water for the trip down ;) 

What kind of beer do you guys want me to bring? 

Theo 

----- Original Message -----

From: "rollright--- via Tigers" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2015 4:38:28 PM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 185 

Sent from my iPhone 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 

------=_Part_10436596_1002387204.1434245720446
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><style type=3D'text/css'>p { margin: 0; }</style></head><body><=
div style=3D'font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; colo=
r: #000000'>Jim, Don, Dave, Darrell (and everyone else):<div>I went out and=
 got a new thermostat. I first asked the counter guy for a (another) 180 de=
gree thermostat but I decided that I should try a 160 for the time being an=
d if things all work out then I can eventually go back to a 180. While I ha=
d both the new and old thermostats out I figured I would put them both in a=
 pot of water and check functionality just to be safe. The time delay on a =
thermostat's operation is evidently still pretty large even when it's in a =
bath of water... the water was about 170 (IR thermometer checked) before th=
e 160 started to do anything and even at 200 degrees (bubbles starting to f=
orm on the bottom of the pot) the 180 was just barely open.</div><div><br><=
/div><div>So it's now all back together and tomorrow I'll take it for anoth=
er rip. Then pack tools and some distilled water for the trip down ;)</div>=
<div><br></div><div>What kind of beer do you guys want me to bring?</div><d=
iv><br></div><div>Theo<br><br><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;fon=
t-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetic=
a,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><b>From: </b>"rollright--- via Tigers" =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br><b>To: </b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sen=
t: </b>Saturday, June 13, 2015 4:38:28 PM<br><b>Subject: </b>Re: [Tigers] T=
igers Digest, Vol 7, Issue 185<br><br>Before I read Don's response, thermos=
tat popped into mind because of the time duration. I think he's right. Jim =
Armstrong<br><br>Sent from my iPhone<br><br>&gt; On Jun 13, 2015, at 5:39 P=
M, [email-masked] wrote:<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Send Tigers mailin=
g list submissions to<br>&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;[email-masked]<br>&gt; <b=
r>&gt; To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit<br>&gt; &n=
bsp; &nbsp;http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/tigers<br>&gt; or, via em=
ail, send a message with subject or body 'help' to<br>&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;tig=
[email-masked]<br>&gt; <br>&gt; You can reach the person managi=
ng the list at<br>&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;[email-masked]<br>&gt; <br=
>&gt; When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific<b=
r>&gt; than "Re: Contents of Tigers digest..."<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; To=
day's Topics:<br>&gt; <br>&gt; &nbsp; 1. Running hot... new 5.0 (Theo Smit)=
<br>&gt; &nbsp; 2. Re: Running hot... new 5.0 (Armacost, Don Jr.)<br>&gt; <=
br>&gt; <br>&gt; ----------------------------------------------------------=
------------<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Message: 1<br>&gt; Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:=
29:30 -0600 (MDT)<br>&gt; From: Theo Smit &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>&gt; To:=
 "[email-masked]" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>&gt; Subject: [Ti=
gers] Running hot... new 5.0<br>&gt; Message-ID: &lt;1229536153.10336014.14=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>&gt; Content-Type: text/plain; cha=
rset=3D"utf-8"<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Hi all, <br>&gt; Fired up the new 5.0 this =
morning and it seems to be OK for temperature for a while (around 180 on th=
e gauge), then suddenly the gauge takes off to the right, 200 plus degrees,=
 and it will start spitting out of the radiator cap vent. Shutting the engi=
ne down for a few minutes and then firing it back up gives normal-ish tempe=
ratures again. This happens out on the road as well - I've managed a couple=
 of 15 minute test drives but several times had the temperature suddenly ri=
se under light load (50-60 mph with some accelerations). <br>&gt; <br>&gt; =
<br>&gt; It's a Ford Motorsport X302D, with Edelbrock water pump and Griffi=
n aluminum radiator, 14" stainless flex fan with shroud. The engine shipped=
 with a Holley Street Avenger carb and MSD distributor so that's what is on=
 it. 32 or 34 degrees total advance, I put in the medium springs so it's al=
l in by about 3000 RPM. <br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; Any ideas? I'm hoping it=
's just localized air pockets that will burp their way out but it would be =
nice to get away from the ragged edge of puking green stuff. Still planning=
 to bring it to TU next weekend but I'm trailering to get there. <br>&gt; <=
br>&gt; <br>&gt; Thanks, <br>&gt; Theo <br>&gt; -------------- next part --=
------------<br>&gt; An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>&gt; URL: &lt;ht=
tp://autox.team.net/pipermail/tigers/attachments/20150613/bc50f01e/attachme=
nt-0001.html&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; ------------------------------<br>&gt; <b=
r>&gt; Message: 2<br>&gt; Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 21:39:17 +0000<br>&gt; Fro=
m: "Armacost, Don Jr." &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>&gt; To: Theo Smi=
t &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>&gt; Cc: "[email-masked]" &lt;tigers@auto=
x.team.net&gt;<br>&gt; Subject: Re: [Tigers] Running hot... new 5.0<br>&gt;=
 Message-ID: &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>&=
gt; Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"us-ascii"<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I had t=
his happen to me with one of my street rods. &nbsp;Problem turned out to be=
 a burr on the thermostat that would stop it from cycling and cause a heat =
rise. Pressure would build and blow it open and temp would drop and then it=
 would stick again and temp &nbsp;would rise again. &nbsp;Suggest you check=
 and replace the thermostat.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; Don Armacos=
t Jr<br>&gt; President -CEO<br>&gt; Peterson Manufacturing Co.<br>&gt; 816-=
765-2000&lt;tel:816-765-2000&gt;<br>&gt; [email-masked]&lt;mailto:=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; On Jun 13, 2015, at 4=
:35 PM, Theo Smit via Tigers &lt;[email-masked]&lt;mailto:tigers@aut=
ox.team.net&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Hi all,<br>&gt; Fired up the ne=
w 5.0 this morning and it seems to be OK for temperature for a while (aroun=
d 180 on the gauge), then suddenly the gauge takes off to the right, 200 pl=
us degrees, and it will start spitting out of the radiator cap vent. Shutti=
ng the engine down for a few minutes and then firing it back up gives norma=
l-ish temperatures again. This happens out on the road as well - I've manag=
ed a couple of 15 minute test drives but several times had the temperature =
suddenly rise under light load (50-60 mph with some accelerations).<br>&gt;=
 <br>&gt; It's a Ford Motorsport X302D, with Edelbrock water pump and Griff=
in aluminum radiator, 14" stainless flex fan with shroud. The engine shippe=
d with a Holley Street Avenger carb and MSD distributor so that's what is o=
n it. 32 or 34 degrees total advance, I put in the medium springs so it's a=
ll in by about 3000 RPM.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Any ideas? I'm hoping it's just l=
ocalized air pockets that will burp their way out but it would be nice to g=
et away from the ragged edge of puking green stuff. Still planning to bring=
 it to TU next weekend but I'm trailering to get there.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Th=
anks,<br>&gt; Theo<br>&gt; _______________________________________________<=
br>&gt; <br>&gt; [email-masked]&lt;mailto:[email-masked]&gt;<=
br>&gt; <br>&gt; Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>&gt; Archive: h=
ttp://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt; Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>&g=
t; Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/drarmacost@pml=
ights.com<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br>&gt; This email and any files trans=
mitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the Recipient. If y=
ou are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy=
 or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are sol=
ely those of the author and might not represent those of Peterson Manufactu=
ring and subsidiaries. Although Peterson Manufacturing and subsidiaries has=
 taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this emai=
l, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising =
from the use of this email or attachments.<br>&gt; -------------- next part=
 --------------<br>&gt; An HTML attachment was scrubbed...<br>&gt; URL: &lt=
;http://autox.team.net/pipermail/tigers/attachments/20150613/66429b19/attac=
hment.html&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; ------------------------------<br>&gt; <br>=
&gt; Subject: Digest Footer<br>&gt; <br>&gt; ______________________________=
_________________<br>&gt; Tigers mailing list<br>&gt; [email-masked]=
<br>&gt; http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/tigers<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <br=
>&gt; ------------------------------<br>&gt; <br>&gt; End of Tigers Digest,=
 Vol 7, Issue 185<br>&gt; **************************************<br>_______=
________________________________________<br><br>[email-masked]<br><b=
r>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/a=
rchive<br>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe: http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]<br><br><br></div><br></div></d=
iv></body></html>
------=_Part_10436596_1002387204.1434245720446--

--===============3068695581807694843==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3068695581807694843==--