Subject: Re: [Tigers] Axle removal process; spoiler alert

From: Jim McLaughlin via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:12:23 -0500 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0058_01D07A91.B5F6A070"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D07A91.B5F6A070
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Cullen:

Here is what I did to put positraction into my tiger r/e.  First we had =
the whole axle out of the car.  I looked for hub pullers for a couple of =
weeks and then realized that if 1) my axle bearing were good and 2) my =
backing plates were not completely rusty, I could simply remove the =
entire hub and axle in one move. This turned out to be true with one =
issue.  The gaskets for the 4 bolts covers need to be cut at the top and =
then installed carefully so they will seal, do not forget the shim and =
the holes are oriented such that the holes are asymmetrical, be careful =
not to rotate them, this was the hardest part.  Putting the cut at the =
top(of the gasket) will prevent oil (grease) from leaking out.  At any =
rate this is what we did and the rear end works very well including the =
positraction!  I have included 2 pictures, one shows one of the axles on =
the floor below the axle housing.

Jim McLaughlin
B382000175LRXFE

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Cullen =
McCann via Tigers
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 8:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Axle removal process.

Dearest technical support community of ever present knowledge and =
wisdom,

I am desperate. I left my binder of shop notes at, well, my other shop. =
It would probably contain my answer, but they are out of reach at the =
moment. Before I tell you how far I have gotten unsuccessfully, and to =
what level of drama, I will beg for advice.

Can somebody please outline the basic steps of removing the stock axles =
and differential from with in a factory Tiger rear end housing?
I have never done it on a Tiger. Ultimately all I want to do is get the =
posi unit and gears out. Here is what I understand:

The axles have to come out first. To get the axles out, the hubs have to =
come off, correct? I am familiar with the exploded diagrams showing the =
basic components of the Tiger axle shafts and hub assembly. The axle =
shaft is a tapered end and the hub is pressed-on, so after the retaining =
nut and washer is removed, removing the hub with a hub puller tool that =
applies force by pulling outward on the hub, and pushing inward on the =
end-dimple of the axle centerline should draw the hub off correct? Can =
the proposed hub puller tool anchor to the lug studs?

This rear end came out of MK1a that had rust issues. But has a nice posi =
unit and set of 3.31's. I really want it out...

please be gentle and thank you for your help.

Cullen
Alpine 260 '1452
Yukon

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D07A91.B5F6A070
	name="Tiger differential 9.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Tiger differential 9.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D07A91.B5F6A070
	name="Tiger differential.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Tiger differential.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D07A91.B5F6A070
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D07A91.B5F6A070--

---

From: Mark Rense via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 13:35:33 -0400

--===============9214063878475181593==

--001a11c2f3c694dcd90514173dd0

For those of you that would rather pay someone to restore your
Dana/Salisbury I recommend a shop in north central Ohio:

http://www.henselsgearage.com/

They have the correct pullers and gauges and experience. I had them install
a new posi unit a different ring set and complete bearing package. They did
a pro job, Glytol and all. Pictures available. No I don't have any
affiliation but it's treat to find a competent shop, so I support them.

Bugz

--001a11c2f3c694dcd90514173dd0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

For those of you that would rather pay someone to restore your Dana/Salisbu=
ry I recommend a shop in north central Ohio:<div><br></div><div><a href=3D"=
http://www.henselsgearage.com/">http://www.henselsgearage.com/</a><br></div=
><div><br></div><div>They have the correct pullers and gauges and experienc=
e. I=C2=A0<span></span>had them install a new posi unit a different ring se=
t=C2=A0and complete bearing package. They did a pro job, Glytol and all. Pi=
ctures available. No I don&#39;t have any affiliation but it&#39;s treat to=
 find a competent shop, so I support them.=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>B=
ugz</div><div><br></div>

--001a11c2f3c694dcd90514173dd0--

--===============9214063878475181593==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9214063878475181593==--