Subject: [Tigers] Axle removal process.

From: Cullen McCann via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:46:53 -0500

--f46d043bdc58107aff0513f5df5d

Dearest technical support community of ever present knowledge and wisdom,

I am desperate. I left my binder of shop notes at, well, my other
shop. It would probably contain my answer, but they are out of reach
at the moment. Before I tell you how far I have gotten unsuccessfully,
and to what level of drama, I will beg for advice.

Can somebody please outline the basic steps of removing the stock
axles and differential from with in a factory Tiger rear end housing?
I have never done it on a Tiger. Ultimately all I want to do is get
the posi unit and gears out. Here is what I understand:

The axles have to come out first. To get the axles out, the hubs have
to come off, correct? I am familiar with the exploded diagrams showing
the basic components of the Tiger axle shafts and hub assembly. The
axle shaft is a tapered end and the hub is pressed-on, so after the
retaining nut and washer is removed, removing the hub with a hub
puller tool that applies force by pulling outward on the hub, and
pushing inward on the end-dimple of the axle centerline should draw
the hub off correct? Can the proposed hub puller tool anchor to the
lug studs?

This rear end came out of MK1a that had rust issues. But has a nice
posi unit and set of 3.31's. I really want it out...

please be gentle and thank you for your help.

Cullen
Alpine 260 '1452
Yukon

--f46d043bdc58107aff0513f5df5d
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Tiger Hub.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--f46d043bdc58107aff0513f5df5d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--f46d043bdc58107aff0513f5df5d--

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:50:52 -0400

There is a some about this in the Shop Manual but they show 3
special 4 lug tools that most likely non of us have or have ever seen.

Tigers United has an article by Dan Walters about a hub puller.

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tom Witt
via Tigers
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 10:48 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Axle removal process.

Cullen,
  You won't find this in the Shop Notes, or likely recommended by anyone. 
But, given the rust issues your hubs MAY be as "frozen" as mine were.  First

I tried every hub puller I had access to and nearly pulled the car off the 
jackstands. So, I removed the axle/hub/backing plate as one piece. Even 
there the bearings were SO tight in the housing that I AGAIN nearly knocked 
the car off the jackstands removing them. Eventually they did release by 
fashioning a slide hammer that used two 10 pound weights (20 pounds total) 
and slamming them into a stop with a 3 foot run. It took about ten of these 
whacks to get the bearing/axle out of the housing.

I then took a steel wheel and bolted it to the axle. I suspended the wheel 
between two tightly spaced sawhorses, reversed the nut and backed it off to 
the edge of the threads, and place a sacrificial steel plate over the nut. 
After applying penetrating oil and heat it took about 15-20 full force 
overhead swinging whacks from a 10 pound sledge hammer before the hub 
FINALLY released from the axle. The threads on the end on one axle weren't 
too pretty and I can't account for the wheel being straight, but 
surprisingly the sawhorses held up.  One day at Salisbury their had to have 
a contest to force mis-matched tolerance parts together and that was the 
rear end that went into my car.  I say this just in case you get desperate 
but are persistent.

Ideally you have a puller that tightens to the hub at all four points and 
then and a center bolt that presses against the axle.  Some people here have

made their own.  But, as I have mentioned getting the hub off the axle AND 
the axle/bear out of the housing are two different processes that offer 
restraint - often of a near overwhelming magnitude. 15 years ago when I 
posted this many people thought I was exaggerating. Well, I've done this 
before on other cars and NEVER had the near the difficulties I had with the 
Tiger's rear end.  My hope for you is regardless of the rust that things go 
easier for you. Lastly be careful not to damage the steel shims associated 
with the retainer. Mark them as to what side they came off also as they set 
the axle end play.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Cullen McCann via Tigers
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 6:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Axle removal process.

I am desperate. I left my binder of shop notes at, well, my other shop. It
would probably contain my answer, but they are out of reach at the moment.
Before I tell you how far I have gotten unsuccessfully, and to what level of
drama, I will beg for advice.

Can somebody please outline the basic steps of removing the stock axles and
differential from with in a factory Tiger rear end housing? I have never
done it on a Tiger. Ultimately all I want to do is get the posi unit and
gears out. Here is what I understand:

The axles have to come out first. To get the axles out, the hubs have to
come off, correct? I am familiar with the exploded diagrams showing the
basic components of the Tiger axle shafts and hub assembly. The axle shaft
is a tapered end and the hub is pressed-on, so after the retaining nut and
washer is removed, removing the hub with a hub puller tool that applies
force by pulling outward on the hub, and pushing inward on the end-dimple of
the axle centerline should draw the hub off correct? Can the proposed hub
puller tool anchor to the lug studs?

This rear end came out of MK1a that had rust issues. But has a nice posi
unit and set of 3.31's. I really want it out...

Cullen
Alpine 260 '1452
Yukon

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3495 / Virus Database: 4311/9564 - Release Date: 04/17/15 

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.5863 / Virus Database: 4331/9566 - Release Date: 04/18/15

[email-masked]