Subject: [Tigers] Facet Fuel Pump Questions

From: Stu via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 15:52:47 -0400

--===============1771085351566748706==

--e89a8f2356ad6bae24051491dbd9

I finished the installation of a new Facet fuel pump last November, in the
trunk, then put the car away for the winter. After a lovely winter here
near Boston, I just got it out a couple weeks ago. I had pushed it out of
the garage so that I could put the snow blower away, then went to start it.
When it got power, the pump made the same rattling noise I'd complained
about last year, for a couple seconds, then got really quiet. It was still
ticking, but much quieter than before. The car started, but only ran a few
seconds. It started again, but promptly quit again. After a few tries, it
appeared that the pump was pumping a little, but not enough to keep up with
even idle requirements.

I was away last weekend, so I finally got back to it today. First I checked
the voltage on the input leads, which was OK, but during the voltage check,
the pump suddenly got noisy again. The car started and idled fine, until
the temperature was up. Back to normal.

Trying to listen to the pump over the exhaust note. I think I detected that
the rattling noise frequency stayed the same, but the harshness of the
noise seemed to be changing up and down, perhaps as the float valve in the
carb opened and closed?

Have any of you with Facets noticed this variation in sound?

Stu

--e89a8f2356ad6bae24051491dbd9

<div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small"><p style="margin-bottom:0in;line-height:100%">I finished the
installation of a new Facet fuel pump last November, in the trunk,
then put the car away for the winter.  After a lovely winter here
near Boston, I just got it out a couple weeks ago.  I had pushed it
out of the garage so that I could put the snow blower away, then went
to start it.  When it got power, the pump made the same rattling
noise I&#39;d complained about last year, for a couple seconds, then got
really quiet.   It was still ticking, but much quieter than before.  
 The car started, but only ran a few seconds.  It started again, but
promptly quit again. After a few tries, it appeared that the pump was
pumping a little, but not enough to keep up with even idle
requirements.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;line-height:100%">I was away last
weekend, so I finally got back to it today.  First I checked the
voltage on the input leads, which was OK, but during the voltage
check, the pump suddenly got noisy again.  The car started and idled
fine, until the temperature was up. Back to normal.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;line-height:100%">Trying to listen to
the pump over the exhaust note.  I think I detected that the rattling
noise frequency stayed the same, but the harshness of the noise
seemed to be changing up and down, perhaps as the float valve in the
carb opened and closed?</p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0in;line-height:100%">Have any of you with
Facets noticed this variation in sound?</p><p style="margin-bottom:0in;line-height:100%">Stu</p></div></div>

--e89a8f2356ad6bae24051491dbd9--

--===============1771085351566748706==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============1771085351566748706==--

---

From: Jay Laifman via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 23:21:14 +0000

How comfortable are you with the electrical connections?  I just actually dealt with a bad ground on a fuel pump on my 912 that I just crimped and swore I did a good job. I would wiggle it, and get no obvious movement. But it would obviously disconnect. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Stu via Tigers <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Tigers] Facet Fuel Pump Questions

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]