Subject: [Tigers] motor mount reinforcement

From: Brad Huff via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 20:01:22 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============2719143687360825264==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0017_01D06F12.1F8DB720"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D06F12.1F8DB720
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Just checking to see if anyone has drilled through and bolted their =
motor mounts to prevent separation and the accompanying  damage to their =
fan shroud and hood. If so what method did you use. 1) drilling through =
the plates, countersinking the heads of the grade 8 bolts and simply a =
washer and nylock nut clamped tight on the backside or 2) a similar =
procedure differing only in that you would drill a slightly larger hole =
on the exit side and under the clamping washer place a neoprene washer =
to isolate the bolt, washer, and nut slightly from the top plate to =
minimize vibration issues. Is this over thinking the problem, that is, =
is the vibration caused by the through bolts even that big of an issue? =
Thanks to all in advance.-Brad
------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D06F12.1F8DB720
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Just checking to see if anyone has drilled through and bolted their =
motor=20
mounts to prevent separation and the accompanying&nbsp; damage to their =
fan=20
shroud and hood. If so what method did you use. 1) drilling through the =
plates,=20
countersinking the heads of the grade 8 bolts and simply a washer and =
nylock nut=20
clamped tight on the backside or 2) a similar procedure differing only =
in that=20
you would drill a slightly larger hole on the exit side and under the =
clamping=20
washer place a neoprene washer to isolate the bolt, washer, and nut =
slightly=20
from the top plate to minimize vibration issues. Is this over thinking =
the=20
problem, that is, is the vibration caused by the through bolts even that =
big of=20
an issue? Thanks to all in advance.-Brad</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01D06F12.1F8DB720--

--===============2719143687360825264==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============2719143687360825264==--

---

From: CoolVT--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 22:08:52 -0400

--===============6038964896454221166==

--part1_10dc9f.31641920.4251f334_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I used method #1 and no problems after 5 years. But, the car hasn't been  
used on the strip or track either.

In a message dated 4/4/2015 9:07:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Just checking to see if anyone has drilled through and bolted their motor  
mounts to prevent separation and the accompanying  damage to their fan  
shroud and hood. If so what method did you use. 1) drilling through the  plates, 
countersinking the heads of the grade 8 bolts and simply a washer and  
nylock nut clamped tight on the backside or 2) a similar procedure differing  
only in that you would drill a slightly larger hole on the exit side and under 
 the clamping washer place a neoprene washer to isolate the bolt, washer, 
and  nut slightly from the top plate to minimize vibration issues. Is this 
over  thinking the problem, that is, is the vibration caused by the through 
bolts  even that big of an issue? Thanks to all in  advance.-Brad

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--part1_10dc9f.31641920.4251f334_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.17690"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DArial>
<DIV>I used method #1 and no problems after 5 years. But, the car hasn't=
 been=20
used on the strip or track either.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 4/4/2015 9:07:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,=20
[email-masked] writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"=
><FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3D=
Arial>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
  <DIV>Just checking to see if anyone has drilled through and bolted their=
 motor=20
  mounts to prevent separation and the accompanying&nbsp; damage to their=
 fan=20
  shroud and hood. If so what method did you use. 1) drilling through the=
=20
  plates, countersinking the heads of the grade 8 bolts and simply a washe=
r and=20
  nylock nut clamped tight on the backside or 2) a similar procedure diffe=
ring=20
  only in that you would drill a slightly larger hole on the exit side and=
 under=20
  the clamping washer place a neoprene washer to isolate the bolt, washer,=
 and=20
  nut slightly from the top plate to minimize vibration issues. Is this ov=
er=20
  thinking the problem, that is, is the vibration caused by the through bo=
lts=20
  even that big of an issue? Thanks to all in=20
  advance.-Brad</DIV></DIV></DIV><BR><BR>_________________________________=
______________<BR><BR>[email-masked]<BR><BR>Donate:=20
  http://www.team.net/donate.html<BR>Archive:=20
  http://www.team.net/archive<BR>Forums:=20
  http://www.team.net/forums<BR>Unsubscribe:=20
  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]<BR><BR><BR><=
/FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_10dc9f.31641920.4251f334_boundary--

--===============6038964896454221166==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6038964896454221166==--

---

From: Mark Rense via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 11:26:35 -0400 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0058_01D06F93.6D3E75F0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D06F93.6D3E75F0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0059_01D06F93.6D3E75F0"

------=_NextPart_001_0059_01D06F93.6D3E75F0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Drilling works OK for most higher HP Tigers, although I had to resort to
chaining the engine on one car as the countersunk bolts pulled through =
the
metal plate after a suitable amount of abuse. I=92d recommend using no =
bigger
than a 5/16=94 CS bolt, a 3/8=94 requires too big a countersink in the =
thin
upper plate. A Grade 8 =BC=94 will also work unless you=92re banging =
more than
350hp.

=20

Two tricks: drill the countersink hole to size, but drill the backside =
hole
and rubber at least 1/8=94 larger in diameter. This is to allow the =
mount to
move around without constantly pulling on the bolts. Second, drill the =
holes
at about  10=B0 angle from perpendicular, the mount will sag down some =
when
the weight of the engine is on the mount.

=20

If you don=92t do these two things the mount will sag enough to put the =
bolts
into constant tension and you wind up with a mostly solid mount causing =
a
lot of vibration to be transmitted to the chassis.

=20

Have fun.

Bugz

=20

From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brad =
Huff
via Tigers
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2015 9:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] motor mount reinforcement

=20

Just checking to see if anyone has drilled through and bolted their =
motor
mounts to prevent separation and the accompanying  damage to their fan
shroud and hood. If so what method did you use. 1) drilling through the
plates, countersinking the heads of the grade 8 bolts and simply a =
washer
and nylock nut clamped tight on the backside or 2) a similar procedure
differing only in that you would drill a slightly larger hole on the =
exit
side and under the clamping washer place a neoprene washer to isolate =
the
bolt, washer, and nut slightly from the top plate to minimize vibration
issues. Is this over thinking the problem, that is, is the vibration =
caused
by the through bolts even that big of an issue? Thanks to all in
advance.-Brad

------=_NextPart_001_0059_01D06F93.6D3E75F0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word =
14 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#44546A;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Drilling works OK for most higher HP Tigers, although I had to resort =
to chaining the engine on one car as the countersunk bolts pulled =
through the metal plate after a suitable amount of abuse. I&#8217;d =
recommend using no bigger than a 5/16&#8221; CS bolt, a 3/8&#8221; =
requires too big a countersink in the thin upper plate. A Grade 8 =
=BC&#8221; will also work unless you&#8217;re banging more than =
350hp.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Two tricks: drill the countersink hole to size, but drill the =
backside hole and rubber at least 1/8&#8221; larger in diameter. This is =
to allow the mount to move around without constantly pulling on the =
bolts. Second, drill the holes at about=A0 10=B0 angle from =
perpendicular, the mount will sag down some when the weight of the =
engine is on the mount.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>If you don&#8217;t do these two things the mount will sag enough to =
put the bolts into constant tension and you wind up with a mostly solid =
mount causing a lot of vibration to be transmitted to the =
chassis.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Have fun.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Bugz<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Brad =
Huff via Tigers<br><b>Sent:</b> Saturday, April 04, 2015 9:01 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> [Tigers] motor =
mount reinforcement<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:black'>Just checking =
to see if anyone has drilled through and bolted their motor mounts to =
prevent separation and the accompanying&nbsp; damage to their fan shroud =
and hood. If so what method did you use. 1) drilling through the plates, =
countersinking the heads of the grade 8 bolts and simply a washer and =
nylock nut clamped tight on the backside or 2) a similar procedure =
differing only in that you would drill a slightly larger hole on the =
exit side and under the clamping washer place a neoprene washer to =
isolate the bolt, washer, and nut slightly from the top plate to =
minimize vibration issues. Is this over thinking the problem, that is, =
is the vibration caused by the through bolts even that big of an issue? =
Thanks to all in =
advance.-Brad<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0059_01D06F93.6D3E75F0--

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D06F93.6D3E75F0
	name="Engine Mt Drilled Back Sm.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Engine Mt Drilled Back Sm.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D06F93.6D3E75F0
	name="Engine Mt Drilled Front Drilled Sm.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Engine Mt Drilled Front Drilled Sm.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D06F93.6D3E75F0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0058_01D06F93.6D3E75F0--