Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Part Advice Engine Parts - Read This!

From: Mark Rense via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 10:51:39 -0400 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_004F_01D06F8E.8BC929C0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01D06F8E.8BC929C0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0050_01D06F8E.8BC929C0"

------=_NextPart_001_0050_01D06F8E.8BC929C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Bill, do not risk your engine with an old harmonic balancer. I had a
customer insist he use the original one, a year later the rubber bond
failed, the outer ring spun off and took out the timing cover, fan and
Griffin radiator. He was lucky in that the ring did not wipe out his hood as
well. This was a $2000 mistake, see attached.

Here is a link to a quality OEM style HB, a Powerbond PB1008N, that will not
break your wallet.

http://amzn.com/B001QL2ASW

A timing set is also a good idea since you are already there. Have fun.

Bugz

From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bill
Lawrence via Tigers
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2015 5:06 PM
To: sunbeam tiger
Subject: [Tigers] Tigers Part Advice Engine Parts

Greetings Tigers,

Finally dug in on changing a slowly leaking water pump on my 65 Sunbeam
Tiger.  The plan was to retire the original radiator at the same time.  The
original radiator seems to be in remarkably good shape after 50 years thanks
in part to an inline gano filter. I decided to invest in the direct
replacement Griffin aluminum from Summit and shrink wrap the original rad,
saving it for another day.  The Aluminum water pump from Sunbeam
Specialities and all new hoses plus a new belt are ready to go.

I ended up successfully removing the fan, shroud, radiator, all water pump
bolts except for one that secures through timing cover.  Naturally it
snapped in half. Trying to ease it out put up a fight so off comes the
pulley and then the harmonic balancer and eventually with a little
persussion the timing cover.  The remaining bolt section was removed by hand
- ugh. Unfortunately, there were a few casualties along the way.  

The dip stick probably had a split tube and it broke where it enters the
timing cover.  As far as I can tell Ford PN   C2OZ 6754 A*  62-65  DIP STICK
TUBE W/GENERATOR V8  or from the Rootes supplemental PN C20Z-67s4-A would be
a Ford original part number. 

The harmonic balancer (once again from the rootes supplemental pn
C40Z-6316-A) has that Knackered look with a lot of cracks in the rubber
(this was replaced last century around 1992).

For what it's worth, I ordered a timing cover gasket kit (Felpro) from Rock
Auto. It includes a pan front seal and little corner gaskets so I hopefully
won't have to drop the pan to seal her up.

So, I am looking for some quality replacements for the dipstick tube and a
harmonic balancer.

Would anyone have information on suitable stock type replacements, part
numbers, cross reference parts from other models such as the Ford Fairlane
or any other advice (such as timing cover/h2o pump bolt torque numbers)
putting the front end of my engine and the cooling system back together?

Once again, thanks for all the great Tiger list info.

Sincerely,

Bill Lawrence

B9473246LRX

Ft. Lauderdale FLA USA 

------=_NextPart_001_0050_01D06F8E.8BC929C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#44546A;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Bill, do not risk your engine with an old harmonic balancer. I had a =
customer insist he use the original one, a year later the rubber bond =
failed, the outer ring spun off and took out the timing cover, fan and =
Griffin radiator. He was lucky in that the ring did not wipe out his =
hood as well. This was a $2000 mistake, see =
attached.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Here is a link to a quality OEM style HB, a Powerbond PB1008N, that =
will not break your wallet.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><a =
href=3D"http://amzn.com/B001QL2ASW">http://amzn.com/B001QL2ASW</a><span =
style=3D'color:#44546A'><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#44546A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#44546A'>A timing set is also a =
good idea since you are already there. Have fun.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Bugz<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Bill =
Lawrence via Tigers<br><b>Sent:</b> Saturday, April 04, 2015 5:06 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> sunbeam tiger<br><b>Subject:</b> [Tigers] Tigers Part =
Advice Engine Parts<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Greetings =
Tigers,<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Finally dug in on changing =
a slowly leaking water pump on my 65 Sunbeam Tiger. &nbsp;The plan was =
to retire the original radiator at the same time. &nbsp;The original =
radiator seems to be in remarkably good shape after 50 years thanks in =
part to an inline gano filter. I decided to invest in the direct =
replacement Griffin aluminum from Summit and shrink wrap the original =
rad, saving it for another day. &nbsp;The Aluminum water pump from =
Sunbeam Specialities and all new hoses plus a new belt are ready to =
go.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>I ended up successfully =
removing the fan, shroud, radiator, all water pump bolts except for one =
that secures through timing cover. &nbsp;Naturally it snapped in half. =
Trying to ease it out put up a fight so off comes the pulley and then =
the harmonic balancer and eventually with a little persussion the timing =
cover. &nbsp;The remaining bolt section was removed by hand - ugh. =
Unfortunately, there were a few casualties along the way. =
&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>The dip stick probably had =
a split&nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>tube and it broke where it =
enters the timing cover. &nbsp;As far as I can tell Ford =
PN&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;C2OZ 6754 A* &nbsp;62-65&nbsp;&nbsp;DIP STICK TUBE =
W/GENERATOR V8 &nbsp;or from the Rootes supplemental PN&nbsp;C20Z-67s4-A =
would be a Ford original part number.&nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>The harmonic balancer (once =
again from the rootes supplemental pn C</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>40Z-6316-A)&nbsp;</span><spa=
n style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>has that Knackered look =
with a lot of cracks in the rubber (this was replaced last century =
around 1992).</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>For what it's worth, I =
ordered a timing cover gasket kit (Felpro) from Rock Auto. It includes a =
pan front seal and little corner gaskets so I hopefully won't have to =
drop the pan to seal her up.</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>So, I am looking for some =
quality replacements for the dipstick tube and a harmonic =
balancer.</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Would anyone have information =
on suitable stock type replacements, part numbers, cross reference parts =
from other models such as the Ford Fairlane or any other advice (such as =
timing cover/h2o pump bolt torque numbers) putting the front end of my =
engine and the cooling system back together?</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Once again, thanks for all =
the great Tiger list info.</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Sincerely,</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Bill Lawrence</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>B9473246LRX</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Ft. Lauderdale FLA =
USA&nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p></o:p></span></p></div>=
<div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
</div></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0050_01D06F8E.8BC929C0--

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01D06F8E.8BC929C0
	name="HB Fail1 Message sm.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="HB Fail1 Message sm.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01D06F8E.8BC929C0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_004F_01D06F8E.8BC929C0--