Subject: [Tigers] FW: motorsport x 302 crate motor

From: Nick via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 20:39:53 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============6414873220335301658==
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003D_01D076F3.2C6E9700"
Content-language: en-us

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01D076F3.2C6E9700
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

From: Nick [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 8:03 PM
To: 'Andy Walker'
Subject: motorsport x 302 crate motor

I am helping a friend with a Tiger we are reassembling after 10+ years of
being off the road. We purchased a 302/340hp engine from Ford Motorsport to
install in this application. We installed the engine without difficulties
with a front sump oil pan, new pickup and right angle oil filter from
motorsports.  It has a air gap manifold, 600cfm Edelbrock  and a pertronix
dizzy. The engine started and  broke in without issues but after about seven
miles on the road it developed a knock. Dropping the oil pan we discovered
the #2 piston was scuffed around the skirt. Sent it back and Ford replaced
with another block claiming they couldn't determine what the cause was.  The
new engine we had broken in by a local speed shop and dynoed.  It put out
320 Hp which we expected.  Reinstalled the engine and after about 20 miles
on the road it developed what sounds like a lifter tapping. With great
difficulty we removed the valve covers and started the engine.  Everything
on the top end looks and feels perfect but we still have the tapping. Put
the engine back together and installed another set of exhaust headers with
copper gaskets and the proper sealer thinking we possibly could have a
cracked header or leak. The problem persists and I am afraid we may find
another scuffed piston. The oil pressure has never dropped below 20# even at
idle.

Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem with these engines of
have a suggestion as to what our issues may be. ? The people at Ford
Motorsports are scratching their heads!

Thanks, 

Nick Kintner

Florida

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01D076F3.2C6E9700
	charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:blue;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle22
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Nick [mailto:[email-masked]] <br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, April 13, 2015 =
8:03 PM<br><b>To:</b> 'Andy Walker'<br><b>Subject:</b> motorsport x 302 =
crate motor<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>I am helping a friend =
with a Tiger we are reassembling after 10+ years of being off the road. =
We purchased a 302/340hp engine from Ford Motorsport to install in this =
application. We installed the engine without difficulties with a front =
sump oil pan, new pickup and right angle oil filter from =
motorsports.&nbsp; It has a air gap manifold, 600cfm Edelbrock &nbsp;and =
a pertronix dizzy. The engine started and &nbsp;broke in without issues =
but after about seven miles on the road it developed a knock. Dropping =
the oil pan we discovered the #2 piston was scuffed around the skirt. =
Sent it back and Ford replaced with another block claiming they =
couldn&#8217;t determine what the cause was. &nbsp;The new engine we had =
broken in by a local speed shop and dynoed. &nbsp;It put out 320 Hp =
which we expected. &nbsp;Reinstalled the engine and after about 20 miles =
on the road it developed what sounds like a lifter tapping. With great =
difficulty we removed the valve covers and started the engine.&nbsp; =
Everything on the top end looks and feels perfect but we still have the =
tapping. Put the engine back together and installed another set of =
exhaust headers with copper gaskets and the proper sealer thinking we =
possibly could have a cracked header or leak. The problem persists and I =
am afraid we may find another scuffed piston. The oil pressure has never =
dropped below 20# even at idle.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Has anyone out there =
experienced a similar problem with these engines of have a suggestion as =
to what our issues may be. ? The people at Ford Motorsports are =
scratching their heads!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Thanks, =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Nick Kintner<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'color:#1F497D'>Florida<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_003D_01D076F3.2C6E9700--

--===============6414873220335301658==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============6414873220335301658==--

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 07:38:46 -0400

--===============1091017502937108219==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0005_01D0774F.3707BC80"

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D0774F.3707BC80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Nick
=20
    I'm not familiar with crate engines but maybe this will give you =
some
ideas.
=20
Oil pressure on my 260 never drops below 40 psi.  Scuffing could be an
oiling issue.
=20
Is this a roller cam?
=20
Roller lifters tick a little when they start to go bad and just get =
louder
as they wear.  Again this could be an oiling issue.
=20
Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Nick =
via
Tigers
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] FW: motorsport x 302 crate motor

=20

=20

From: Nick [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2015 8:03 PM
To: 'Andy Walker'
Subject: motorsport x 302 crate motor

=20

=20

=20

I am helping a friend with a Tiger we are reassembling after 10+ years =
of
being off the road. We purchased a 302/340hp engine from Ford Motorsport =
to
install in this application. We installed the engine without =
difficulties
with a front sump oil pan, new pickup and right angle oil filter from
motorsports.  It has a air gap manifold, 600cfm Edelbrock  and a =
pertronix
dizzy. The engine started and  broke in without issues but after about =
seven
miles on the road it developed a knock. Dropping the oil pan we =
discovered
the #2 piston was scuffed around the skirt. Sent it back and Ford =
replaced
with another block claiming they couldn't determine what the cause was.  =
The
new engine we had broken in by a local speed shop and dynoed.  It put =
out
320 Hp which we expected.  Reinstalled the engine and after about 20 =
miles
on the road it developed what sounds like a lifter tapping. With great
difficulty we removed the valve covers and started the engine.  =
Everything
on the top end looks and feels perfect but we still have the tapping. =
Put
the engine back together and installed another set of exhaust headers =
with
copper gaskets and the proper sealer thinking we possibly could have a
cracked header or leak. The problem persists and I am afraid we may find
another scuffed piston. The oil pressure has never dropped below 20# =
even at
idle.

=20

Thanks,=20

Nick Kintner

Florida

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D0774F.3707BC80
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" xmlns:v =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w =3D=20
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m =3D=20
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588">
<STYLE>@font-face {
	font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Calibri;
}
@font-face {
	font-family: Tahoma;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; =
}
P.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: =
11pt
}
LI.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: =
11pt
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: =
11pt
}
A:link {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
	COLOR: #0563c1; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
	COLOR: #954f72; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
P.MsoAcetate {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: =
8pt; mso-style-priority: 99; mso-style-link: "Balloon Text Char"
}
LI.MsoAcetate {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: =
8pt; mso-style-priority: 99; mso-style-link: "Balloon Text Char"
}
DIV.MsoAcetate {
	MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; FONT-SIZE: =
8pt; mso-style-priority: 99; mso-style-link: "Balloon Text Char"
}
SPAN.BalloonTextChar {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; mso-style-priority: 99; =
mso-style-link: "Balloon Text"; mso-style-name: "Balloon Text Char"
}
SPAN.EmailStyle19 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; COLOR: windowtext; mso-style-type: =
personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle20 {
	FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: "Arial","sans-serif"; COLOR: blue; =
FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none; mso-style-type: personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle21 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; COLOR: #1f497d; mso-style-type: =
personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle22 {
	FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; COLOR: #1f497d; mso-style-type: =
personal-reply
}
.MsoChpDefault {
	FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
	page: WordSection1
}
</STYLE>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></HEAD>
<BODY lang=3DEN-US link=3D#0563c1 vLink=3D#954f72>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2=20
face=3DArial>Nick</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2=20
face=3DArial></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT =
color=3D#0000ff=20
size=3D2 face=3DArial>I'm not familiar with crate engines but maybe this =
will give=20
you some ideas.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2=20
face=3DArial></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 =
face=3DArial>Oil=20
pressure on my 260 never drops below 40 psi.&nbsp; Scuffing could be an =
oiling=20
issue.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2=20
face=3DArial></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 =
face=3DArial>Is=20
this a roller cam?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2=20
face=3DArial></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 =
face=3DArial>Roller=20
lifters tick a little when they start to go bad and just get louder as =
they=20
wear.&nbsp; Again this could be an oiling issue.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2=20
face=3DArial></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D312483011-15042015><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 =
face=3DArial>Ron=20
Fraser</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr lang=3Den-us class=3DOutlookMessageHeader =
align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Tigers=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]] <B>On Behalf Of </B>Nick via=20
  Tigers<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:40 PM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Tigers] FW: motorsport x 302 =
crate=20
  motor<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DWordSection1>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: =
#1f497d"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: =
#1f497d"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; =
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: =
#b5c4df 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 3pt">
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'; FONT-SIZE: =
10pt">From:</SPAN></B><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'Tahoma','sans-serif'; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> Nick=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]] <BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 13, 2015 =
8:03=20
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> 'Andy Walker'<BR><B>Subject:</B> motorsport x 302 =
crate=20
  motor<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV></DIV>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: =
#1f497d"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: =
#1f497d"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: #1f497d">I am helping a =
friend with a=20
  Tiger we are reassembling after 10+ years of being off the road. We =
purchased=20
  a 302/340hp engine from Ford Motorsport to install in this =
application. We=20
  installed the engine without difficulties with a front sump oil pan, =
new=20
  pickup and right angle oil filter from motorsports.&nbsp; It has a air =
gap=20
  manifold, 600cfm Edelbrock &nbsp;and a pertronix dizzy. The engine =
started and=20
  &nbsp;broke in without issues but after about seven miles on the road =
it=20
  developed a knock. Dropping the oil pan we discovered the #2 piston =
was=20
  scuffed around the skirt. Sent it back and Ford replaced with another =
block=20
  claiming they couldn&#8217;t determine what the cause was. &nbsp;The =
new engine we=20
  had broken in by a local speed shop and dynoed. &nbsp;It put out 320 =
Hp which=20
  we expected. &nbsp;Reinstalled the engine and after about 20 miles on =
the road=20
  it developed what sounds like a lifter tapping. With great difficulty =
we=20
  removed the valve covers and started the engine.&nbsp; Everything on =
the top=20
  end looks and feels perfect but we still have the tapping. Put the =
engine back=20
  together and installed another set of exhaust headers with copper =
gaskets and=20
  the proper sealer thinking we possibly could have a cracked header or =
leak.=20
  The problem persists and I am afraid we may find another scuffed =
piston. The=20
  oil pressure has never dropped below 20# even at =
idle.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: #1f497d">Has anyone out =
there=20
  experienced a similar problem with these engines of have a suggestion =
as to=20
  what our issues may be. ? The people at Ford Motorsports are =
scratching their=20
  heads!<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: =
#1f497d"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: #1f497d">Thanks, =
<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"COLOR: #1f497d">Nick=20
  Kintner<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
  <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=20
  style=3D"COLOR: =
#1f497d">Florida<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D0774F.3707BC80--

--===============1091017502937108219==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1091017502937108219==--