Subject: [Tigers] rear light bulbs

From: Rollright--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 19:14:17 -0400

Hello,
 
I came upon some brighter stop/tail bulbs called 1157 HP on Ebay. Still  
incandescent but quite bright.
So, I thought, that's the stop tail, what about the 1156 flasher  lamps?  I 
looked and looked and there doesn't seem to be any labeled 1156  HP.
 
I really don't want to use LED's or halogen. Does anybody know of a  
plug-in upgrade  for both of the rear bulbs that I can get at the local  AutoZone 
or NAPA?  Part numbers?
 
Thanks in advance,
 
Jim  Armstrong
382002083 LRXFE
Mk 1A
code 86
TAC # 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:19:01 -0400

Jim
	I believe Tiger Tom once stated that the best way to upgrade the
light output of the tail light is to paint the housing bright white.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Rollright--- via Tigers
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] rear light bulbs

Hello,

I really don't want to use LED's or halogen. Does anybody know of a
plug-in upgrade  for both of the rear bulbs that I can get at the local
AutoZone
or NAPA?  Part numbers?

Thanks in advance,

Jim  Armstrong
382002083 LRXFE
Mk 1A
code 86
TAC #

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Rollright--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 08:59:33 -0400

The first one looks interesting. It has a current drain of 7 Watts, which  
should kick the blinker switch to work. The second is only one watt. One 
would  have to use a resistor to drain enough power to kick the blinker.
That's why I wanted to avoid LEDs. Further, the color of LEDs is skewed to  
blue and you'd not get enough power through to light up the red plastic 
lens  (filter).
 
Comments?
 
Jim Armstrong

In a message dated 3/18/2015 8:19:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

These might work?
David Franchi

 
_1 x 1156 5007 1159 BA15S White Cree Q5 LED Turn  Stop Back Up Light Glass 
Bulb 7W_ 
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-1156-5007-1159-BA15S-White-Cree-Q5-LED-Turn-Stop-Back-Up-Light-Glass-Bulb-7W-/231166185351?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Part
s_Accessories&hash=item35d2940f87&vxp=mtr) 

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-singl
e-intensity-1-watt-led-w-stock-cover/1091/

  
____________________________________
 From: Rollright--- via Tigers  <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:14  PM
Subject: [Tigers] rear  light bulbs

Hello,

I came upon some brighter stop/tail  bulbs called 1157 HP on Ebay. Still  
incandescent but quite  bright.
So, I thought, that's the stop tail, what about the 1156  flasher  lamps?  
I 
looked and looked and there doesn't seem to  be any labeled 1156  HP.

Thanks in advance,

Jim   Armstrong
382002083 LRXFE
Mk 1A
code 86
TAC #  

[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]) 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Rollright--- via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:27:27 -0400

Now Randy, 
 
Where do you get a "LED calibrated flasher" and which LED did you use? And  
where did you get them?
 
Jim

In a message dated 3/19/2015 11:02:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I've install LED's in  both stop and rear turn signal sockets and they 
flash very bright and  red.  Only needed to install a LED calibrated flasher 
unit for the turn  signals to work properly.

Very pleased and  have a bit more confidence that I'm better seen from the 
rear approach.

Randy Z.
Duluth, MN
MkIa /  TAC#1026

 
On Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:59 AM,  Rollright--- via Tigers 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

Comments?

Jim Armstrong

In a  message dated 3/18/2015 8:19:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])  writes:

These might work?
David  Franchi

_1 x 1156 5007 1159  BA15S White Cree Q5 LED Turn  Stop Back Up Light Glass 
Bulb 7W_ 
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-1156-5007-1159-BA15S-White-Cree-Q5-LED-Turn-Sto
p-Back-Up-Light-Glass-Bulb-7W-/231166185351?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Part
s_Accessories&hash=item35d2940f87&vxp=mtr) 

____________________________________
From:  Rollright--- via Tigers  <[email-masked] 
(mailto:[email-masked]) >
To: [email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])  
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:14  PM
Subject: [Tigers] rear  light bulbs

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Jim  Armstrong
382002083 LRXFE
Mk 1A
code 86
TAC #  

[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])   
(mailto:[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked]) ) 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Randy Zimmermann via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 16:33:45 +0000 (UTC)

I'll have to dig into my past purchases file to see where I ordered them.B  It
was an online vendor, if I recall, that someone else on the list
recommended.B  It was at least a couple of years ago.B 

I didn't realize the flasher unit would have to be replaced until I installed
the LED's.B  Moss Motors had an article detailing the changes needed to the
system due to the lower wattage running through it.B  Was an easy swap.

Randy

     On Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:27 AM, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

 Now Randy, B Where do you get a "LED calibrated flasher" and which LED did
you use? And where did you get them?B JimB In a message dated 3/19/2015
11:02:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked] writes:
     I've install LED's in both stop and rear turn signal sockets and they
flash very bright and red.B  Only needed to install a LED calibrated flasher
unit for the turn signals to work properly.
 Very pleased and have a bit more confidence that I'm better seen from the
rear approach.
 Randy Z. Duluth, MN MkIa / TAC#1026

 The first one looks interesting. It has a current drain of 7 Watts, whichB 
should kick the blinker switch to work. The second is only one watt. One
wouldB  have to use a resistor to drain enough power to kick the blinker.
That's why I wanted to avoid LEDs. Further, the color of LEDs is skewed toB 
blue and you'd not get enough power through to light up the red plastic
lensB  (filter).

Comments?

Jim Armstrong

In a message dated 3/18/2015 8:19:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,B 
[email-masked] writes:

These might work?
David Franchi

_1 x 1156 5007 1159 BA15S White Cree Q5 LED TurnB  Stop Back Up Light Glass
Bulb 7W_
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-1156-5007-1159-BA15S-White-Cree-Q5-LED-Turn-Stop
-Back-Up-Light-Glass-Bulb-7W-/231166185351?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Part
s_Accessories&hash=item35d2940f87&vxp=mtr)

B 
____________________________________
From: Rollright--- via TigersB  <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:14B  PM
Subject: [Tigers] rearB  light bulbs

Hello,

I came upon some brighter stop/tailB  bulbs called 1157 HP on Ebay. StillB 
incandescent but quiteB  bright.
So, I thought, that's the stop tail, what about the 1156B  flasherB  lamps?B 
I
looked and looked and there doesn't seem toB  be any labeled 1156B  HP.

I really don't want to use LED's orB  halogen. Does anybody know of aB 
plug-in upgradeB  for both ofB  the rear bulbs that I can get at the localB 
AutoZone
or NAPA?B  Part numbers?

Thanks in advance,

JimB  Armstrong
382002083 LRXFE
Mk 1A
code 86
TAC #B 

Donate:B  http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Parlanti via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 16:06:25 -0400

I sent this to Theo and others earlier but it didn't seem to make it to the
list...

I've also been experimenting with LEDs for the running / brake / turn
signals. I have a set running on my car now that I'm finally happy with. The
2 big challenges were finding the correct relay so that the turn signals
will flash and an 1157 equivalent bulb for the parking / brake light. All of
the normal 1157 LEDs that I tried were either too dim or did not have enough
of a difference between the parking and brake mode. I finally found a 7Watt
RED CREE 1157 bulb that works great. In the turn signals I'm using a 64 SMD
LED 1156 white bulb which really lights up the amber lenses nicely. The
front running lights are yellow T10 bulbs. 

Joe
B382000026

Joseph V. Parlanti
16048 Copen Meadow Dr
North Potomac, Md. 20878
Cell - 410-599-5475
Email - [email-masked]
www.velocesolutionsllc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Smit, Theo
via Tigers
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:47 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] rear light bulbs

You should only use red LED assemblies in the taillights (or amber ones if
you have the orange turn signal lenses). Jim is right - 3white2 LEDs don9t
put out enough in the red part of the spectrum to be worth the effort.

Those of you that saw my taillight prototypes at SUNI last year may remember
what you can do with real red LEDs. And yes, I9m still pondering how to make
them more manufacturable (and affordable). But it9s taking a back seat to
new engine + transmission installation (and work at my day
job...)9

Theo

On 2015-03-19, 6:59 AM, "Rollright--- via Tigers" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>should kick the blinker switch to work. The second is only one watt. 
>One would  have to use a resistor to drain enough power to kick the
blinker.
>That's why I wanted to avoid LEDs. Further, the color of LEDs is skewed 
>to blue and you'd not get enough power through to light up the red 
>plastic lens  (filter).
>
>Comments?
>
>Jim Armstrong
>
>
>_1 x 1156 5007 1159 BA15S White Cree Q5 LED Turn  Stop Back Up Light 
>Glass Bulb 7W_ 
>(http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-1156-5007-1159-BA15S-White-Cree-Q5-LED-Tur
>n-S
>top-Back-Up-Light-Glass-Bulb-7W-/231166185351?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Part
>https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-
>sin
>gl

[email-masked]