Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hardtop side windows

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 08:25:13 -0800

What part are you looking for?  How to remove the frame and glass from the
top?  Or how to remove the glass from the frame?  Or how to install the
dang rubber seal that I've never figured out!

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Harry Elam <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Looking for instructions/guidance on replacing my hardtop side windows. So
> far Internet and Tech Tips searches have resulted in no yield. Anybody know
> where I can find some guidance or help?
>
> Harry Elam
> B382000471
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: H B Elam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 12:00:33 -0500

Jay,
  Thanks for responding. My answer is basically everything. I picked up the
windows, etc. from Rick's last July. We have a week or two left before hardtop
season in NC so I am looking for as much of the process that I can find before
beginning the work and then begin to learn.  From the workshop manual Section
"O" page 9 & from the parts manual Section YX plate "E" show exploded views
without words. Removing the frames from the top seems straightforward but the
rest is not yet obvious.
  Any lessons learned, guidance, advice or steers to any of these will,
hopefully, sent me off in the correct direction.

Thanks, Harry Elam

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 11:25 AM, Jay Laifman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
top?  Or how to remove the glass from the frame?  Or how to install the dang
rubber seal that I've never figured out!
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 11:34:14 -0800

Well, here is my two cents - from doing this a long time ago.

You have to drill out some of the rivets to get off one side of the
triangle.  There is an L bracket inside each corner.  So you want to drill
out two opposing sides, that is two legs, not all of them on one side.
That is because if you don't, the L brackets will still be in there and
block the glass from coming out.

You then need to get the replacement glass or plexiglass.  The glass is not
"original" and is certainly heavier.  But it won't fog or crack like the
original, especially around the latch hole.  I got the glass.

You also need the thin rubber seal that lines the inside of the metal to
hold the glass.

I got both glass and rubber from Sunbeam Specialties.

Then put it back together with warm soapy water, and pop rivet the parts
back together.  I recall that it wasn't difficult, but some time was needed
at the hardware store to get the right size pop rivet.  Sunbeam Specialties
frequently has instructions on how to do things.  If they have instructions
for this, I'd follow them over anything I've said!

Also, I am trying to remember how I fit the rubber inside the channels at
the corners.  But I can't remember.  I can look over the weekend and see if
it is clear.

I welcome anyone to add more, and even to disagree if I've remembered
incorrectly!

Jay

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM, H B Elam <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Jay,
>   Thanks for responding. My answer is basically everything. I picked up
> the windows, etc. from Rick's last July. We have a week or two left before
> hardtop season in NC so I am looking for as much of the process that I can
> find before beginning the work and then begin to learn.  From the workshop
> manual Section "O" page 9 & from the parts manual Section YX plate "E" show
> exploded views without words. Removing the frames from the top seems
> straightforward but the rest is not yet obvious.
> > What part are you looking for?  How to remove the frame and glass from
> the top?  Or how to remove the glass from the frame?  Or how to install the

[email-masked]