Subject: Re: [Tigers] Overhaulin

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 23:55:06 +0000 (UTC)

Yes, not the way a Tiger guy would do it, but not TOO untasteful..

Yes she did.
The lady(s) aren't there for their car knowledge  ;-)

Not sure but it kinda looked like they just eliminate the top and
made wooden "doors" covered in leather..  A Foose GT model...

The dash was ok, except for the tacky "vintage?" gauges.

Well, if you send the shell to the blaster, you might as well remove
it or else it will be gone anyway.

Gary

----- Original Message -----
From: Stu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 23:03:32 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [Tigers] Overhaulin

I was relieved when I saw the show, having seen some of the "improvements"
that Foose has come up with for other cars.  But I wish they's spent a
little more time on the redesigned front suspension.  And given that Dan
was there, did it get his torque arm on the rear?

A few funny things...  Did that lady reference the rear suspension when
standing by the new front crossmember?  Did they at, one point, have the
valve covers on backwards?  And a RED engine?

The convertible top doors should have been body color with the stripes.
And they should have just replaced the veneer on the dash, I didn't like
that look at all.  And what did they do with the battery?  I thought I saw
Foose putting a completely flat trunk floor panel in...

I never saw it clearly, but in one view it looked like the VIN tag had been
removed.

But the owner liked it, so I guess that's all that counts.

Stu
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Cullen1972 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 18:39:43 -0600

Stu, yes I noted all of those things as well. Including the vin tag removal.

Was it dales front suspension?

Cullen

Sent from my iPhone.

> On Nov 5, 2014, at 5:03 PM, Stu <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Cars <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 18:38:39 -0700

Yes it was one of dales front ends. Also I believe he supplied the radiator
and a couple of other smaller pieces. I thought the car looked great and I'm
glad that it was rescued from the "I hope to get to it someday" pile and
repaired properly. That is the real victory here. Every car I have seen has
something that I don't like so I am perfectly okay with everything I saw and
glad it got pulled from the heap.

Dale was there for the reveal, you can actually see him on the left when the
owner says he was "overhauled". Dale said the quality of work was very high
and the car was beautiful. He was impressed

Lynn

Sent from my mobile device

> On Nov 5, 2014, at 5:39 PM, Cullen1972 <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 11:19:55 -0800

Some observations:

One would assume the car had no body repairs in the 32 years the teacher 
owned it. Man, that car was sure beat up/hacked in its first 18 years of 
life.

It was hard to tell, but it looked like they had the lower sill piece on a 
shrinking machine (for a nano second).  I'm not sure if my sills came from 
BV but they were basically straight and don't follow the curve of the bottom 
of the door. I would guess they are tweaking these as well???

Did anyone catch the layer of thick yellow primer (ummm, thin layer of 
Bondo) over almost the entire car? Another (side) point, has anyone ever 
noticed cars that were repaired long ago. They will go through an Overhaulin 
like process of stripping the body. ONLY then is it revealed that there was 
"hidden" repairs that were improperly done.  Ironically, the "improper 
repair" never showed - even many years later.  Not saying I support hack 
welds and thick Bondo, just saying maybe it doesn't matter - too much.

While the first 400 Tigers came with the vinyl dash I think the wood dash is 
a very distinctive aspect of a Tiger. Kind of sad that it and the cubby hole 
were deleted.

Foose's alteration of the lower front didn't look too bad.  I'll have to 
contemplate it.  On the other hand wagon wheels with forklift tires just 
don't work for me. They were too big and too thin.

Given the original state of the Tiger I agree it was great to see it get the 
needed body repair.  Trying to "Cobra-ize" it was a bit sad. A Cobra is a 
Cobra and a Tiger is a Tiger.  Regarding the exposure aspect; I think Dan 
said it best, the car is an "Underdog."  I probably sit in the minority but 
I'd rather be ask what it is (anonymous/unique) than to have the general 
populous know it is a Tiger, but perceiving it as a "lesser Cobra-like" car.

Lastly, it would have been nice to have seen an explanation of what 
separated a Tiger from and Alpine rather than slanting to the Cobra.  I 
mean, did we have to see models drop valve covers (less gaskets and bolts) 
on the engine over presenting the unique aspects of a Tiger?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]