Subject: Re: [Tigers] Steering rack question

From: "Tom Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:31:07 -0800

It has been a LONG time since I had my rack out, but I recall shims being 
used under plates to set tension.  Don't consider me to be an authority on 
the matter, but I just say what I did in case you get the desire to pull it 
apart. My recollection was that either the plates had very thin gaskets, or 
no gaskets at all.  I'm guessing thin gaskets though. I vaguely remember 
finding it hard to find gasket material that thin.

Hey, guys:

Well, the restoration of my Mk1A is proceeding slowly but surely.  At this
point, I'm just basically waiting on paint to dry before I can finish
assembling the front suspension, which leads me to tonight's question
concerning the steering rack.  Mine is in good shape except for the fact
that it's a bit dirty and seems to have some leaks from the bolted-on cover
plates at the bottom of the steering shaft area, and also at the
football-shaped covers that nut onto the front of the rack (one on each
side).  All I plan to do is to clean the rack and then remove all three of
these plates and make and install new gaskets for them.  I'm sure that
someone out there has maybe tried something like this before and I would
just like to know if there are things I should watch out for when performing
this task.  Am I asking for trouble doing this or is it pretty
straightforward?  I must admit that, even though I've owned Tigers since
1979, I've never had a steering rack apart on any of them.  Therefore, I'm
certainly interested in reading what you all have to say.

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 16:32:22 -0800

> certainly interested in reading what you all have to say.
So you know, there are shims under the rack pinion bushing (the 
"football" shaped cast iron piece on the bottom of the pinion) and the 
top cover plate.  They are there to set clearances and adjust the 
tension on the pinion.  Actually your likely to find both shims and 
gaskets.  The gaskets can tear when you remove these plates. The other 
cover plate on the right side is for adding oil and should have only a 
gasket.  The oil will also run out of the rack from the open hole under 
the pinion unless you position it to prevent this from occuring.

Typically I reassemble these pieces with RTV between the dissassembled 
layers, which essentially squeezes out the unneccessary quantity on 
re-assembly.  I would recommend this as opposed to attempting to replace 
the gaskets.   If you do drain the rack, it only takes a cup of 90 wt 
gear oil to fill it up.  I've done hundreds of rebuilds so let me know 
if you need any help.

-- 
Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net

[email-masked]