Subject: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

From: "hallmotors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 10:46:37 -0500

I have an oil leak from the passenger bank valve cover onto the exhaust
manifold (toward the back, say above about at the #3 or #4 cylinder
location) and thus need to remove the valve cover to install a new gasket.
My Tiger has the original 260 engine with LAT-8 Aluminum finned Tiger
Powered by Ford valve covers attached with allen head bolts.  I've looked at
what I could find in the archives on removing the valve covers but am still
looking for advice.  I basically have three questions, 1) can this style
valve cover be removed without dropping the engine, 2) I'm having problems
getting an allen wrench on the top back valve cover bolt and it appears
there's no firewall access hole for the passenger bank; any advice here, and
3) once the bolts are out, any advice on how to get the valve cover up, over
and off.

Thanks guys,

Brad Hall

Wichita, KS

LRXFE609
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 12:28:26 -0400

Brad
	Check to see if there is some debris in that Allen head - use some
compressed air to blow it clear - then see if the Allen wrench fits better
and you are able to turn it out.  You should check all the Allen bolts -
maybe they should be replaced.

I will yield to those who have LAT valve cover about removal.  It should
come off without dropping the engine.

The stock valve cover can be a bit of a knuckle buster but they will come
off without dropping the engine.

Stock Tiger Engine Study - when you get the valve cover off - check the head
casting date and let me know - I'll add it to your other information.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of hallmotors
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 11:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

Thanks guys,

Brad Hall

Wichita, KS

LRXFE609

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.5315 / Virus Database: 4189/8485 - Release Date: 10/31/14
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 14:16:45 -0400

Also, a good trick with Small block Ford valve cover gaskets is not to
tighten up the cover bolts too much. Barely finger tight and a bit is
enough. The steel covers distort easily and rise up almost out of contact
between the bolts. The alloy ones crack very easily. It's amazing how well
they seal with very little pressure.

Good luck with this Brad, and happy knuckle whacking!

Dave
-----------------------------------

The torque value I have for the valve cover bolts is 3 - 5 ft lbs - retorque
after the gasket has time to compress

Ron Fraser

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 16:18:24 -0300

Yeah, that's about right Ron, not 20-50 ft lb like some guys I know!

Dave

----- Original Message ----- 
From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Dave Munroe'" <[email-masked]>; "'hallmotors'" <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 3:16 PM
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

Dave

Ron Fraser

[email-masked]

---

From: ironbeast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 07:47:13 -0500

You can definitely get it off without lowering the engine if B you haveB 
The stock rockers. I can't remember the exact sequence but I think you need to tip the cover to the side of the car rather than trying to pull straight up. Once the back inside corner of the cover clears the valves it comes right out.

If you haven't done this already I recommend the silicone cover gaskets with the metal core such as fel pro perma dry #vs13264t.
Besides sealing better they stay put during installation. B 
B 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

<div>-------- Original message --------</div><div>From: Cars <[email-masked]> </div><div>Date:11/01/2014  4:45 PM  (GMT-05:00) </div><div>To: Dave Munroe <[email-masked]> </div><div>Cc: "<[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]> </div><div>Subject: Re: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal </div><div>
</div>Also. Roller rockers make it a little tougher to get the covers off

Sent from my mobile device

> On Nov 1, 2014, at 11:21 AM, Dave Munroe <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Brad :
>
> Condolences.
>
> I have the similar alloy valve covers that have Tiger on them.
>
> I had an exhaust manifold bolt spit out on the driver's side, (you are lucky
your leak is on the pass. side!) and the gasket damaged on a trip, and
couldn't get at it until I returned home to my garage and the myriad of
special tools I have made up to get at the spark plugs on the driver's side.
Everything on that side had to be removed to get at the ex. manifold,
including the valve cover.
>
> I had to remove the valve cover to remove the ex. manifold gasket, as the
cover hangs out over the edge of the cyl. head, and wouldn't allow the gasket
to pass by.
>
> That rear allen head bolt was a bugger. I got it out with a 1/4" drive allen
key with a couple of short extensions and two universal joints.  Ron's tip to
blow out the hole is a good one. I was fortunate that I had installed the
covers with ARP allen bolts, as they have a deep socket hole, into which I
stuck some aluminum foil to make the key a tight fit, so it wouldn't drop off
the key when it cleared the hole.
>
> Getting the cover off was another problem, but with some patience and finely
honed Chinese puzzle skills, it  can be removed. Just keep at it and try not
to scratch that cool cover too much!
> Also, a good trick with Small block Ford valve cover gaskets is not to
tighten up the cover bolts too much. Barely finger tight and a bit is enough.
The steel covers distort easily and rise up almost out of contact between the
bolts. The alloy ones crack very easily. It's amazing how well they seal with
very little pressure.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "hallmotors" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 12:46 PM
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]