Subject: Re: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

From: "hallmotors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 09:43:40 -0600

Thanks to all for your advice.  Yesterday I was surprised to find that the
problem location has a hex head bolt (only location on either bank that's
not an allen head).  It looks like I can get a wrench on the hex head from
the inboard side once the vacuum hose to the brake booster is removed.  I'll
also need to remove the generator but since the engine is the original I'm
confident from your responses that the cover can be maneuvered off.  I need
to work on another project first, but Ron I'll provide you with the head
casting date for the stock Tiger Engine Study once I get the cover off.

Thanks Again!
Brad Hall
Wichita, KS
LRXFE609

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of hallmotors
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 10:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

I have an oil leak from the passenger bank valve cover onto the exhaust
manifold (toward the back, say above about at the #3 or #4 cylinder
location) and thus need to remove the valve cover to install a new gasket.
My Tiger has the original 260 engine with LAT-8 Aluminum finned Tiger
Powered by Ford valve covers attached with allen head bolts.  I've looked at
what I could find in the archives on removing the valve covers but am still
looking for advice.  I basically have three questions, 1) can this style
valve cover be removed without dropping the engine, 2) I'm having problems
getting an allen wrench on the top back valve cover bolt and it appears
there's no firewall access hole for the passenger bank; any advice here, and
3) once the bolts are out, any advice on how to get the valve cover up, over
and off.

Thanks guys,

Brad Hall

Wichita, KS

LRXFE609
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "hallmotors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:11:35 -0600

Follow-up:  The LAT-8 valve cover came off pretty easy with little jockeying
(rocker was luckily in a good position); that is after removing the
following (whew!) - brake booster, PCV hose, generator, generator bracket,
plug wires, temperature sending & coil wires to ballast and coke heat tubing
from exhaust manifold.  Think I'll go back with a flange bolt in back top
problem location due to the smaller hex head (3/8" vs 7/16", the 7/16" hex
head bolt wasn't even finger tight probably because neither a socket nor
closed end wrench would engage it).

Ron Fraser - The head casting date is 4F29.

Thanks Again!
Brad Hall
Wichita, KS
LRXFE609

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of hallmotors
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2014 9:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

Thanks Again!
Brad Hall
Wichita, KS
LRXFE609

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of hallmotors
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 10:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Valve Cover Removal

Thanks guys,

Brad Hall

Wichita, KS

LRXFE609

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]