Subject: Re: [Tigers] Overhaulin

From: "DERRICK SCHMIDT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 13:14:02 -0800

"did we have to see models drop valve covers (less gaskets and bolts)
on the engine over presenting the unique aspects of a Tiger?"

Haven't watched it yet (recorded it) but I think the most coveted demographic
for advertisers is 18 to 49 males.  You think they would rather hear about
subtleties of an under dog feline namesake car than a few extra shots of
v-neck t shirts leaning over fenders or car parts?

Just for philosophical consideration.

Derrick

---- Original Message ----
From: "Tom Witt" <[email-masked]>
Sent: 11/6/2014 12:11:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Overhaulin

Some observations:

One would assume the car had no body repairs in the 32 years the teacher
owned it. Man, that car was sure beat up/hacked in its first 18 years of
life.

It was hard to tell, but it looked like they had the lower sill piece on a
shrinking machine (for a nano second).  I'm not sure if my sills came from
BV but they were basically straight and don't follow the curve of the bottom
of the door. I would guess they are tweaking these as well???

Did anyone catch the layer of thick yellow primer (ummm, thin layer of
Bondo) over almost the entire car? Another (side) point, has anyone ever
noticed cars that were repaired long ago. They will go through an Overhaulin
like process of stripping the body. ONLY then is it revealed that there was
"hidden" repairs that were improperly done.  Ironically, the "improper
repair" never showed - even many years later.  Not saying I support hack
welds and thick Bondo, just saying maybe it doesn't matter - too much.

While the first 400 Tigers came with the vinyl dash I think the wood dash is
a very distinctive aspect of a Tiger. Kind of sad that it and the cubby hole
were deleted.

Foose's alteration of the lower front didn't look too bad.  I'll have to
contemplate it.  On the other hand wagon wheels with forklift tires just
don't work for me. They were too big and too thin.

Given the original state of the Tiger I agree it was great to see it get the
needed body repair.  Trying to "Cobra-ize" it was a bit sad. A Cobra is a
Cobra and a Tiger is a Tiger.  Regarding the exposure aspect; I think Dan
said it best, the car is an "Underdog."  I probably sit in the minority but
I'd rather be ask what it is (anonymous/unique) than to have the general
populous know it is a Tiger, but perceiving it as a "lesser Cobra-like" car.

Lastly, it would have been nice to have seen an explanation of what
separated a Tiger from and Alpine rather than slanting to the Cobra.  I
mean, did we have to see models drop valve covers (less gaskets and bolts)
on the engine over presenting the unique aspects of a Tiger?
_______________________________________________
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]