Subject: [Tigers] Steering rack question

From: "Andy Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 23:20:25 -0600

Hey, guys:

Well, the restoration of my Mk1A is proceeding slowly but surely.  At this
point, I'm just basically waiting on paint to dry before I can finish
assembling the front suspension, which leads me to tonight's question
concerning the steering rack.  Mine is in good shape except for the fact
that it's a bit dirty and seems to have some leaks from the bolted-on cover
plates at the bottom of the steering shaft area, and also at the
football-shaped covers that nut onto the front of the rack (one on each
side).  All I plan to do is to clean the rack and then remove all three of
these plates and make and install new gaskets for them.  I'm sure that
someone out there has maybe tried something like this before and I would
just like to know if there are things I should watch out for when performing
this task.  Am I asking for trouble doing this or is it pretty
straightforward?  I must admit that, even though I've owned Tigers since
1979, I've never had a steering rack apart on any of them.  Therefore, I'm
certainly interested in reading what you all have to say.

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 10:17:13 -0500

Andy
	As I remember you should not have a problem taking it apart.  There
is a spring load in there and you should slowly  take it apart and keep all
the parts organized and in order of removal.

There is somewhat of a diagram in the Shop Manual.  I'm not sure if there is
a better parts diagram or if there are more detailed instructions available.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andy Walker
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Steering rack question

Hey, guys:

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]