Subject: [Tigers] Calif plates

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:51:06 -0400

My Tiger was bought on Dec. 28, 1965 (as a 1966 model based on foreign model
years scheme devised by the state) from the dealer in Vallejo, California
with 

plate "RXF 371".  This number goes against some of the discussion on this
forum such as plate series going only up to about "RDA".  We might be
getting a little off balance in this discussion because we forget how slowly
things moved back in the day.  If a location received a allotment of plates
to assigned to vehicle under their jurisdiction then those plates would be
distributed as slowly or quickly as the local needs dictated.  I would
imagine that some "pohick" office might still have some of their original
allotment of plates until the new series came out.  That would allow a newer
car to have much "older" plates.  I don't remember California DMV policies
back then, but I know that in some states the plates belonged to the owner
and the plates would just be transferred from your old car to your brand new
car at the time of purchase.  Good discussion, though.. Very entertaining
and valuable if kept in balance.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]