Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 6, Issue 234

From: "Darrell Mountjoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:35:31 -0700

Brian,

Before '56 the CA plates were black with a white alpha-numeric sequence.
The plates were not as high but were elongated from what we know today.  I
don't recall how many characters there were but I think there were seven,
like "A123456"

In 1956 CA went to the standard sized license plate we know today.  It was
yellow with a black alpha-numeric sequence of six characters, "AAA 123".  

In 1963 CA changed to a black plate with a yellow alpha-numeric sequence,
"AAA 123", retaining six characters.  I don't believe the letters were area
specific.  At the time our family in SoCal got their plates through Auto
Club and the plates were a "JEX" prefix.  An aunt got her plates in L.A. and
they had a "JER" prefix.  I'm sure other areas of the state had earlier as
well as later prefixes.  

Somewhere around 1970 CA changed from a black plate to a blue plate with a
yellow numeric-alpha sequence, "123 AAA".  Note CA changed the letter and
number positions.  I had a 1969 car with an "XTH" prefix.  Later I had a
1971 vehicle whose plate had an "ESA" suffix.  In '73 I had another car with
a "JEP" suffix. 

Sometime in the late '70s or early '80s CA ran out of their numeric-alpha
sequence so it went to a seven character license plate, still blue with
yellow characters.  To accommodate seven characters on the standard sized
plate the size of the characters was reduced.  

I think it was at the time of the '84 Olympics in L.A. CA came out with a
white Olympic plate.  That opened the gate to all the vanity and special
interest plates one sees today.

Yep, I'm old...
Darrell

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Glenn <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Tigers] California license plate sequence

I've just reviewed the e-article by Hagerty regarding getting vintage
license plates for California.
>From personal knowledge I know that the gold on black PAV ### went on a
1964 car (my first car ;-) and XIA ### on a 1969 (dad's Doge Coronet).
 
What I'm wondering is if anyone has an approximate knowledge of what
sequences would be appropriate for each production year of the Tiger, i.e.
1964 through 1967.
1964 XXX ### through XXX ###, etc.
 
Anecdotes with the letter sequence from those with original plates would be
great.
Thanks
Brian
******************
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]