Subject: Re: [Tigers] Calif plates

From: Douglas Lyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:22:58 -0700

John, you hit the mail on the head on this.    The smaller DMV's might never go through a stack of plates.    Take for instance a city with multiple car dealerships.    When they sell a car they have to take their stack of sold contracts down to the DMV and then get plates for all the cars they've sold.   Take note next time you're at the DMV...there is usually a separate window for dealerships.   So a busy dealership make deplete the local DMV very quickly and require them to restock faster than a small town DMV.     

I also have info that supports the fact that the DMV dispersed plates so certain counties got certain letter sequences.    I'll try to dig the speadsheet up that shows this info.

California has just recently changed the YOM program so depending on which office you go to you will hear of a variety of ways to assign your black plates to a car.    I did this last month and they lady behind the counter told me I couldn't use the plate because even though the lettering started with VAP the plate was stamped with a 63.  I explained that all CA black plates were stamped with a 63 but she told me her husband's 69 Camaro was stamped with a 69.   A quick Google search and I was able to educate her.   The bottom line was that she was not going to let me YOM those plates for my Tiger.   I had the 67 sticker and they made me stick it to the right side of the plate.   They didn't used to do that.    So now it looks like the way to do it is to have the YOM sticker on the right of the plate and then the current year sticker on the extra metal tab they give you.   Again, your local DMV may tell you something different because I've also had them
 tell me the YOM sticker had to go on the left side where the month usually goes.  Om my car I peeled off the 1967 sticker on the right and put on a current 2015 sticker.

The key to a smooth transaction when getting YOM plates is to do your homework.  Also make sure before buying plates that they are DMV clear and can be reassigned.   In the end you'll know more about the process than the person behind the desk but it's worth it.   I don't like new plates on any old car so I do the YOM program on every old car I own.    I even managed to get blue plates on my 1970 GTO...and the YOM program only extends to 1969!

Doug Lyle

________________________________
 From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:51 AM
Subject: [Tigers] Calif plates

My Tiger was bought on Dec. 28, 1965 (as a 1966 model based on foreign model
years scheme devised by the state) from the dealer in Vallejo, California
with 

plate "RXF 371".  This number goes against some of the discussion on this
forum such as plate series going only up to about "RDA".  We might be
getting a little off balance in this discussion because we forget how slowly
things moved back in the day.  If a location received a allotment of plates
to assigned to vehicle under their jurisdiction then those plates would be
distributed as slowly or quickly as the local needs dictated.  I would
imagine that some "pohick" office might still have some of their original
allotment of plates until the new series came out.  That would allow a newer
car to have much "older" plates.  I don't remember California DMV policies
back then, but I know that in some states the plates belonged to the owner
and the plates would just be transferred from your old car to your brand new
car at the time of purchase.  Good discussion, though.. Very entertaining
and valuable if kept in balance.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 19:22:45 +0000 (UTC)

FWIW, another (extreme?) example is the plate I got through the dealer on my brand new Tiger in 1967. The plate number was HBN 810. 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----

From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: "john procida" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:51:06 AM 
Subject: [Tigers] Calif plates 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 02:54:41 +0000

In Alberta itbs still that way... I have something like five or six plates
and if I can, I transfer them from one vehicle to the next (or bring an
idle one out of retirement). Makes it easier to remember plate numbers.

Theo

On 2014-10-18, 10:51 AM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

><snip>

> I don't remember California DMV policies
>car at the time of purchase.
>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]