Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Dashboard Lettering

From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 16:16:43 -0400

I hate Outlook...try it again....

Trying to keep this email short...haha

Sanserif (actually sans serif) isn't a font, it's a typestyle and basically
means "no serif". Helvetica is an example of a sans-serif font since it has no
little "do dads" called "serifs" on the ascenders and descenders. A font like
Times would be a serif font.

Condensed Gothic RR is a font designed/used by model railroad boys and girls
(note the RR designation), it is most likely based on Helvetica. It is
available at hobby shops and Walmart I believe.

I looked at 1000s of fonts and never came up with any one font that was
exactly the same, so I am guessing the original font is now just a memory in
font history.

When I was researching this I had a number of people around the globe scan and
even mail me pieces of their wooden dashes. And we came up with a couple
different styles that were very similar if not basically the same.

One problem is that 1960s silkscreening would have been done by hand and isn't
all that precise, if you also look at the Jaeger gauges you will see also see
variation from gauge to gauge.

My theory is...By the time the Tiger was released to the public the Rootes
Group was in such poor financial shape that the same company providing the
Alpine wood dashes would have provided the Tiger dashes also starting with the
basic Alpine form...and most likely even just pulling Alpine dashes from their
stock to use in Tigers.

And since the goal was making money to stay in business, the dash board people
would just keep the assembly line rolling.

I would think, they would have had one big template with small screens (or
several smaller templates) that would have been pulled over the top of the
wood dash on the "assembly line" and off the guy doing the printing work would
go.

Over time the screens would go gradually go bad and alter the look of the
lettering, then the screens would eventually be replaced. Also if it was a
Friday or a Monday perhaps the screen printer would miss putting on certain
words or put the ink on too light or too heavy.

Here are a couple images of what I came up with...they are kind of an average
of what was provided to me.

http://www.breuhan.com/sunbeam/alllettering.gif

http://www.breuhan.com/sunbeam/heater.jpg

They are low resolution and are not great shots but they do give you some idea
of the look.

Paul
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Rense" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:06:58 -0400

Considering the labels are for Lucas electrical devices, I'd be more
inclined to use Comic Sans MS...

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Paul R.
Breuhan
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 4:17 PM
To: Tigers Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Dashboard Lettering

Sanserif (actually sans serif) isn't a font, it's a typestyle and basically
means "no serif". Helvetica is an example of a sans-serif font since it has
no little "do dads" called "serifs" on the ascenders and descenders. A font
like Times would be a serif font.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]