Subject: [Tigers] Fuel Pump Question

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 12:41:57 -0700

I rebuilt the stock pump and it was working fine.  It failed.  I grabbed a new
Carter vane type pump I happened to have from another car and threw it in.  It
worked for a short while then failed.  Then I grabbed one last Facet pump I
happened to have.  It is working, and still working.  But the car is now not
running perfectly.  I don't know if it is related to the fuel pump.  But I've
only noticed it since I change fuel pumps - and changed the spark plugs and
wires.

I put a fuel pressure gauge on and found that this pump is putting out 4.25
psi.  I've looked around and have seen that 5.5-6 psi is suggested - but I
can't confirm if that is correct for a 260 with a Holley.

The problem I'm having is that I'm getting a little stumble on initial
acceleration and I've noticed when I take my foot off the gas, like to shift
up, the rpm drops all the way to 0, but does catch up again.

One thought was that this fuel pump doesn't have enough volume for the
carb/engine - or different enough volume that the float bowl is not at the
same level as it was with the old pump.  But I don't know if that make sense.

Another thought was that the accelerator pump is not putting out enough fuel.
But, I haven't changed the accelerator pump and that wouldn't explain the far
drop to 0 when lifting off the gas.  Although I don't know for sure if the two
are related.

Thanks for any thoughts.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 23:58:05 -0400

Jay,

I'm certainly not an expert... I had a Holley fuel pump on the Kitty with a
fuel filter before the pump; the pump stopped working, so I removed the
filter and it worked fine (but it was loud, so I replaced it with the old
Bendix...). Fuel pressure if I recall correctly is @ 3 to 5 lbs. This from
Holly on the 4160, as I remember it.  Anyhow, 5 PSI should be fine.

Maybe timing, or a loose vacuum line to the distributor? If the motor runs
o.k. at speed and accelerates o.k. it probably isn't fuel pressure related.
(but it could be a carb adjustment...)

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Jay Laifman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]