Subject: [Tigers] While I am between parts and weather...

From: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:23:45 -0800

I have been dangerously thinking again.  run for the hills, now, before 
it is too late!

Well, ok, I am building a dyno set up for my own personal fun and use on 
motors I put together.  I have been looking at  electronic throttle 
controllers but admittedly, I am pretty ignorant on the technology.  I 
now use a long Morse cable to twiddle the throttle but I'd like 
something that might be more amenable to using software for control.  
So, the question.  I am guessing that most are fairly simple in concept, 
that a pedal moves a pot of some sort which has a module which controls 
voltage level into a servo motor control output which rotates the 
throttle shaft.  At least, that's how I would tackle it. I think that 
because I would want to use this on more than one kind of throttle set 
up that the servo portion should be, at least, removable and be capable 
of having some sort of lever attached with a link to a regular throttle 
shaft.  That would permit use on multiple kinds of throttles with only 
some kind of attaching bracketry.   So the basic question is: what's out 
there for selection at the pick a part places? What should I be looking 
for for something to play with?  Any partiucular brand that works better 
than others?  I think that I would need to get the gas pedal assy with 
any electronic pieces,  harness and cabling, and a servo motor/throttle 
body set up all from the same donor.  I am guessing that the simplest of 
systems would be best, something without control inputs being required 
from the car/truck main brain box in order to function.

While I have no plans for utilization of a system like this on the 
Sunbeam LSR car, it seems that these would be almost made to order for 
the special construction class cars and maybe even some of the door cars 
as well.  Would there be issues with using something to return the 
throttle to closed blade position if something breaks or goes south or 
does a servo used in an application like this do that automatically?

Listening for thoughts and ideas for my dyno application... like I said 
would be nice it it was a simple pot type control voltage  to a module 
that converts to a drive output for the servo. I have software that can 
generate an automatic input for a dyno ramp up and down  pretty easily...

hanging around  in the cold, in the wind, without the next parts for the 
Tiger refurb, waiting on football...

larry

-- 
______________________________
drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph exit speed
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 12:22:18 -0500

I have no idea to be honest,  my first inclination would have been to use a
throttle controller from a boat with a control panel desk mount versus a
foot pedal.
Having said that, most new cars are throttle by wire, perhaps you could
repurpose one from a salvage yard, if not in whole then in pieces.
Thirdly, you might explore those used in R/C cars, planes, essentially a
radio controller servo that pushes a plunger attached to the throttle,
shouldn't take much to ramp that up and possibly have the advantage of
wireless control via a standard commercially available R/C controller.

Michael Shortt
On Dec 7, 2013 12:12 PM, "Larry Mayfield" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have been dangerously thinking again.  run for the hills, now, before it
> is too late!
>
> controllers but admittedly, I am pretty ignorant on the technology.  I now
> use a long Morse cable to twiddle the throttle but I'd like something that
> might be more amenable to using software for control.  So, the question.  I
> am guessing that most are fairly simple in concept, that a pedal moves a
> pot of some sort which has a module which controls voltage level into a
> servo motor control output which rotates the throttle shaft.  At least,
> that's how I would tackle it. I think that because I would want to use this
> on more than one kind of throttle set up that the servo portion should be,
> at least, removable and be capable of having some sort of lever attached
> with a link to a regular throttle shaft.  That would permit use on multiple
> kinds of throttles with only some kind of attaching bracketry.   So the
> basic question is: what's out there for selection at the pick a part
> places? What should I be looking for for something to play with?  Any
> partiucular brand that works better than others?  I think that I would need
> to get the gas pedal assy with any electronic pieces,  harness and cabling,
> and a servo motor/throttle body set up all from the same donor.  I am
> guessing that the simplest of systems would be best, something without
> control inputs being required from the car/truck main brain box in order to
> function.
>
> While I have no plans for utilization of a system like this on the Sunbeam
> LSR car, it seems that these would be almost made to order for the special
> construction class cars and maybe even some of the door cars as well.
>  Would there be issues with using something to return the throttle to
> closed blade position if something breaks or goes south or does a servo
> used in an application like this do that automatically?
>
> would be nice it it was a simple pot type control voltage  to a module that
> converts to a drive output for the servo. I have software that can generate
> an automatic input for a dyno ramp up and down  pretty easily...
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/michael@
> michaelshortt.com

[email-masked]