Subject: Re: [Tigers] Headlights

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:58:33 +0000

What is the difference between PL and P? 

I bought some years ago. I love then. But I never felt they fit or matched the Sunbeam look. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Tigers] Headlights

I'm needing to order new headlights for my car. I've noticed many are  
running Lucas PL700 tripod type non-sealed beams, these days. How is the quality 
 on the reproductions readily available? Is buying used originals a better 
idea?  "Back in the day" would the PL700 or P700 have been more commonly 
seen on the  Tiger?
 
Other options? I'm thinking a more modern Hella (or equivalent) halogen  
might function better?
 
TIA
Mike
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Rense" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:12:13 -0500

Mike,
Consider these GE Nighthawk Sport H6024NHS 7" sealed beams, they put out
twice the light on low beam over the old incandescents and are only 35 watts
per lamp. They are low enough of a draw you can use them as DRL (daylight
running lamps) for additional visibility even running the generator. The
high beams are 65 watts and throw quite a nice pattern.

On sale now at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-H6024NHS-Nighthawk-Automotive-Headlight/dp/B0017ODW
1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388263695&sr=8-1&keywords=ge+H6024NHS

Be forewarned, the classic sealed beam will completely disappear in a couple
years, if ANYONE needs headlights you better buy some now and stash them
away.

Be very wary of buying old non-sealed lamp shells such as the P700 or
Hella/Cibie types, as the reflective coating inside decays rapidly and you
wind up loosing much of the light output. This is a fundamental problem with
this type of forward lighting, which is why the DOT outlawed them back in
the '50's. A sealed beam always gives you a fresh reflector with every new
lamp.

Bugz - 32 years in the Automotive/Halogen lighting industry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 1:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Headlights

TIA
Mike

[email-masked]

---

From: Allan Ballard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 17:16:17 -0500

My Tiger is running Marchal Amplilux.

They came with the car.

They provide decent  illumination and have options but I'd prefer illumination
as good as the SUV.

What is the optimum for our Sunbeams.

Allan Ballard
Mk1a
Series IV Alpine
Series 1 Alpine

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 28, 2013, at 4:12 PM, "Mark Rense" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Mike,
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Owain Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 17:31:50 -0500

Personally, I hate driving at night so I use ultra bright xenon H4 bulbs to
make sure I can see. I got them in a period yellow/white colour rather than
the more usual blueish tint, but they provide stacks of light and only draw
55W.  Short of full on HIDs, they were the best I found.

Real period lights bring me to a complete standstill in the rain at night.

It's a pretty subjective topic to touch on :)
On Dec 28, 2013 10:16 PM, "Allan Ballard" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Wally Menke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 11:14:21 +1100

Hi Owain

My first car in 1973 was a 1960 VW Beatle with 6V electrics. If you want to
know about bad head lights at night and in the rain, this is as challenging
as it gets.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Owain Lloyd
Sent: Sunday, 29 December 2013 9:32 AM
To: Allan Ballard
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Headlights

It's a pretty subjective topic to touch on :) On Dec 28, 2013 10:16 PM,
"Allan Ballard" <[email-masked]> wrote:
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Marc James Small <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 00:27:01 -0500

>know about bad head lights at night and in the rain, this is as challenging

I had a number of 6v VW's over the years, the
first in 1970.  I would replace the 6v generator
with a 12v and then install a relay between the
generator output and the fuse box.  Worked fine
for me!  Of course, you had to replace all of
lightbulbs and the windshield wiper motor, but otherwise it worked just fine.

I learned to drive on a 6v 1960 VW ragtop in San
Francisco and driving a car with 6v headlamps
through a peasoup fog taught me a lot about defensive driving!

Marc

[email-masked]
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]