Subject: [Tigers] Bell housing question

From: "Andy Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 19:50:23 -0600

Guys:

I'm contemplating putting a 260 back in my Tiger rather than the 289 that's
in the car right now.  Here's the rub, though.  The 260 I have is clearly a
5-bolt block, which I'm guessing all 260s were, but the 289 in the car is a
6-bolt block.  Obviously, I'm going to have to change the bell housing over
to a 5-bolt unit.  Now, if I do that, will my transmission bolt up to it or
not?  Can I use my 289 flywheel on the 260?  Also, are clutch sizes
different between the two engines?  By the way, the 260 came out of an
automatic '64 Fairlane, if it makes any difference.

I'm all ears, guys.I've never had to mess with something like this before.

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 10:08:54 -0500

Andy
	According to the Parts List both the 260 and 289 engine uses the
same starter ring gear part number but it lists a different part numbers for
the flywheel

	This seems to indicate that you can use the flywheel and clutch
parts but as with any engine change you need to go through the parts you
have to make sure they are compatible with each other.

You will need a 5 bolt bellhousing cover plate and pilot bearing.

I would think the transmission should bolt right up but again that depends
on the parts you have.

I would recommend going through the casting numbers on the 64 engine just so
you know what you have.

My guess is that the 260 block is a C4OE -6015E casting.
Yes, all 260 blocks are 5 bolt.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Andy Walker
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 8:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Bell housing question

Guys:

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6896 - Release Date: 12/06/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeffery Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 12:23:16 -0500

You'll need to check the crankshaft to see that it's drilled for use with a
pilot bushing . Aside from that everything should bolt right together.
  Jeff

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Ron Fraser <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 17:32:37 +0000 (UTC)

One of the issues is the trans that you have. Is it a narrow eared box like the original trans, or is it a wide eared box that has two sets of mounting hole patterns? If it does not have the narrow box hole pattern, it will not bolt up to the original 260 bell housing. At least without modification (appropriate mounting holes drilled). 

Also, the later trans bell housings for a 6 bolt block have a slightly larger hole for the trans input shaft bearing retainer to go with the trans that were used. So if you use an original 5 bolt bell housing, you probably will have to change the bearing retainer housing on the trans, or machine out the hole in the bell housing. 

Most people have gone the other way, converting from a 260 to a 289. There were some excellent articles on all that was involved in the CAT Tiger Tales newsletters in the not too distant past. All the info would apply to going the other way, of course. I recommend geting ahold of those issues if you can. 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Walker" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday, December 6, 2013 7:50:23 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Bell housing question 

Guys: 

Thanks, 

Andy Walker 

Edmond, OK 

B382001600LRXFE 

TAC #740 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 12:42:50 -0500

Jeff
    I believe all crankshafts are machined for a pilot bearing; this makes
it very easy for the production line to assemble to either configuration.

You are also correct that it should be checked just in case a previous owner
messed things up or swapped in non stock, unknown parts.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffery Randall [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 12:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Andy Walker; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Bell housing question

Andy

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Guys:

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740

[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:12:44 -0500 (EST)

Yes, another consideration, for sure.
 
To Andy, why do you want to go to a replacement 260? 

In a message dated 12/7/2013 10:29:06 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

One of  the issues is the trans that you have. Is it a narrow eared box 
like the  original trans, or is it a wide eared box that has two sets of 
mounting hole  patterns? If it does not have the narrow box hole pattern, it will 
not bolt up  to the original 260 bell housing. At least without modification 
(appropriate  mounting holes drilled). 

Also, the later trans bell housings for a  6 bolt block have a slightly 
larger hole for the trans input shaft bearing  retainer to go with the trans 
that were used. So if you use an original 5 bolt  bell housing, you probably 
will have to change the bearing retainer housing on  the trans, or machine 
out the hole in the bell housing. 

Most  people have gone the other way, converting from a 260 to a 289. There 
were  some excellent articles on all that was involved in the CAT Tiger 
Tales  newsletters in the not too distant past. All the info would apply to 
going the  other way, of course. I recommend geting ahold of those issues if 
you can.  

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andy Walker"  <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday,  December 6, 2013 7:50:23 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Bell housing question  

Guys: 

I'm contemplating putting a 260 back in my Tiger  rather than the 289 
that's 
in the car right now. Here's the rub, though.  The 260 I have is clearly a 
5-bolt block, which I'm guessing all 260s  were, but the 289 in the car is 
a 
6-bolt block. Obviously, I'm going to  have to change the bell housing over 
to a 5-bolt unit. Now, if I do that,  will my transmission bolt up to it or 
not? Can I use my 289 flywheel on  the 260? Also, are clutch sizes 
different between the two engines? By the  way, the 260 came out of an 
automatic '64 Fairlane, if it makes any  difference. 

Thanks, 

Andy Walker  

Edmond, OK 

B382001600LRXFE 

TAC #740  

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums 
Unsubscribe:  
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]  
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]