Subject: Re: [Tigers] Regulators

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 12:53:42 -0500

Owain
    The Mid 60's style Ford Alternator now has a separate external
electronic voltage regulator that mounts on the outside of the alternator
case.  Not sure if that helps you any with your problem but it might.  Those
voltage regulators are available at NPD and others.

PowerGen is the name of the company here in the States that makes that type
of Alternator/ Generator look alike - maybe they can help.

You might also want to think about a somewhat larger alternator pulley to
slow down your alternator speed.  The 289 HiPo used a 4.3" diameter
alternator pulley.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Owain Lloyd [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2013 12:34 PM
To: Steve Halbrook
Cc: [email-masked]; <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Regulators

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.   I should probably elaborate with all the
details.

The alternator is specially built by a company in England as a modern
alternator that looks like a generator.  It was bought from SC Parts in the
UK who claim they have never heard of one failing and were not much help.
However, I think most people must just potter around at 3500rpm in an XK120
and therefore it never fails.  I ran mine at up to 6500rpm and 'cruised' at
over 4000rpm, 14 hours a day for 4 days in the C-type.   I think that abuse
is probably more than they usually experience and I've therefore concluded
that the regulator (at least in that location) isn't up to the job i'm
expecting to do.

I started by taking it to an alternator/generator/starter repair shop that
is coincidentally just down the road from my own shop.  They told me the
regulator had failed but were unable to proceed further as they didn't know
the type of regulator.  They seem to be unable to do anything 'custom'.

I will contact Don's recommendation in CT and enquire if they can help.
Ideally, I'd like to move the regulator outside the unit where I can help it
keep cool better.

Thanks,

Owain.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Steve Halbrook <[email-masked]> wrote:

Owain:

I don't know where you are located but in Brandon Florida there is a shop
that rebuilds generators, alternators and water pumps .  I have done
business with them for 15 years with no issues.

Steve Halbrook

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 8, 2013, at 10:34 AM, " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Owain
>    I would suggest you try to find someone who can rebuild that
> alternator.  I have done that with several and it generally costs less
than
> $100.  Maybe there is a better fix for that internal regulator that comes
> with a rebuild.
>
> Sometimes you can find kits to rebuild alternators that have all the parts
> you need.
>
>    I'm not the electrical guy but I believe that regulator has to have
> similar amperage capacity as the alternator output otherwise they will
burn
> each other out.
>
> Ron Fraser
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Owain Lloyd
> Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 11:59 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Tigers] Regulators
>
>
> While not strictly tiger related, i have a problem I think the list may
have
> the expertise to help with.  I have an alternator that the internal
> regulator has failed on.  Replacing the whole alternator is not such an
easy
> choice as its $1000 (don't ask!) and there is no reason to believe the
> regulator would not fail again.
>
> The regulator used inside has 4 wires.  One to the live wire, one to the
> charge light and two to the diode bridge.  I happen to have a four wire
> Lucas regulator here that I'm hoping to use as a replacement but I don't
> really know how it should be wired up.  The link below shows a pic of the
> Lucas regulator and more of the old regulator and the wiring in the
> alternator.
>
> Can anyone explain how it had been wired, and how the (if possible) I
could
> use the replacement?
>
> Many thanks indeed.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sc/v1qrr6i0rnld4og/FgJpXtP1Qb
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6901 - Release Date: 12/08/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]