Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Swap

From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 12:07:25 -0800

I thought the dual pattern bell housings referred to the trans end where
there are both wide and narrow bolt patterns for the early/late toploader...

A friend of mine has one...and it will only fit a 6 bolt block

Jim
B382000446

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tod Brown
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 11:06 AM
To: [email-masked]; Andy Walker
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Swap

Andy:

Not that it probably matters in your situation but there are bell-housings
around that will bolt up to both the 5-bolt and 6-bolt blocks (they have two
sets of mounting holes). They show up occasionally on eBay. Many years ago,
my original bell housing fractured where the clutch arm enters, so I
replaced my bell housing with one with the dual pattern, anticipating that I
might, somewhere down the road, want to use a later block. That never
happened, but it's still in there.

Tod
B382002384LRXFE
TAC 864
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6895 - Release Date: 12/05/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 14:05:12 -0800

There is this scattershield on Ebay. It is obviously a narrow/wide trans 
pattern. On the engine side it has a boatload of bolt holes.  Maybe someone 
can identify if it is both 5/6 bolt pattern. Which brings me to ask, where 
is the "extra" bolt hole anyway?  - Tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-LAKEWOOD-289-302-351-BLOW-PROOF-BELL-HOUSING-3-4-SPEED-MANUAL-TRANS-/390714498729?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af8661ea9&vxp=mtr

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Tod Brown'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "'Andy 
Walker'" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Swap

[email-masked]

---

From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:09:49 -0800

It's more than just an 'extra' hole...

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-tech/84248d1259105
111-289-5-bolt-bell-housing-block.jpg

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Thomas Witt
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 2:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Swap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-LAKEWOOD-289-302-351-BLOW-PROOF-BELL-HOUSING-3-
4-SPEED-MANUAL-TRANS-/390714498729?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&ha
sh=item5af8661ea9&vxp=mtr

----- Original Message -----
From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Tod Brown'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "'Andy

>I thought the dual pattern bell housings referred to the trans end 
>where  there are both wide and narrow bolt patterns for the early/late  
>toploader...
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 17:18:35 -0800

I forgot to mention... 

The Lakewood bell housing in the e-Bay ad is the same one that is in my
car... It will only fit a 6 bolt block. The rear is drilled for both narrow
and wide pattern trans but the center hole takes the slightly larger
diameter bearing retainer that comes on the wide ratio ( later ). That
retainer is available and is a bolt on to the earlier trans...
A couple of issues with the Lakewood... If you ever  install one, I highly
recommend that you dial the trans hole for center and either get the offset
dowels or the weld-on bushing kit to correct it as it will most likely be
off center to the crank !!
The other issue in a Tiger is that the Lakewood is not the same shape as the
stock one which is more or less like a half sphere. The rear top corners of
the Lakewood will contact the Tiger tunnel ! I fixed this the first time
back in '75 by 'stretching' the tunnel some with a hammer  :(  The Tiger I
have now also has a the same Lakewood and it was modified back in '82 by Rik
Edwards at the Mustang ranch ( no... not THAT one ) . He cut those two
corners off the bell and then welded a flat plate on each side to make the
clearance !

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Tod Brown'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "'Andy

[email-masked]

---

From: "Will Seay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 13:39:20 -0500

And while we're on the subject, because your clutch slave cylinder has to match
to the new bolt pattern, plan on getting a new clutch slave cylinder mounting
bracket.  These tend to be pretty hard to find.  I bought a repro of one some
years ago.  It was on eBay.  Haven't seen any original or repro on eBay
recently.

Will Seay_____________
[email-masked]
"I think not therefore I am not" (anon)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of jim
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 7:10 PM
To: 'Thomas Witt'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine Swap

Jim

-----Original Message-----

There is this scattershield on Ebay. It is obviously a narrow/wide trans
pattern. On the engine side it has a boatload of bolt holes.  Maybe someone can
identify if it is both 5/6 bolt pattern. Which brings me to ask, where is the
"extra" bolt hole anyway?  - Tom

----- Original Message -----
From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Tod Brown'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "'Andy

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]