Subject: [Tigers] Original Underbody finish?

From: Alex Haugland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 18:40:28 -0800

Hello! I'm currently taking my Tiger apart to be stripped back to bare 
metal and repainted in the original colour.  As I'm looking at bringing 
the car back to as original a condition as possible I'm curious as to 
how the underside of the Tiger was originally finished.  My car 
currently has an old rubberized undercoating that has become brittle and 
is starting to flake off, so it will be stripped off as well.  Was this 
the original finish of the underside or was it painted body colour, 
black, or some other colour?  The engine and gearbox will be coming out 
tomorrow along with the exhaust, fuel lines, brake lines, and suspension 
and the car will be ready to go to the paint shop.

--Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
B9470334LRXFE
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 11:00:12 -0500

Alex
	I'm not the expert on the underside but I believe as you peel the
undercoat off you will find body color paint then red oxide primer.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Alex Haugland
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Original Underbody finish?

--Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
B9470334LRXFE

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6956 - Release Date: 12/28/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:47:01 -0800

Alex,
 As best I recall Ron is correct. "Been there, done that" nearly 14 years 
ago.  Though I might add that I had considerable rust.  Some surface rust, 
some more than surface.  I prepped for POR-15 which requires removal to bare 
metal.  My recollection about the red oxide primer and body color paint is 
that I wondered if I was doing the right thing by removing it.  But, as I 
stated there was considerable rust so ... .  I don't doubt that the 
application of primer and was rather spotty given the areas of rust and the 
chore of removing paint and primer.

Anyway, it won't take much to scrape off some undercoat and see the layers 
beneath - just in case my memory is as failing as my wife indicates it is. 
:-)

Tom

[email-masked]