Subject: Re: [Tigers] new sports cars and manual gearboxes

From: Alex Haugland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:32:47 -0800

The ratio of manuals vs. automatics, however, often sweeps quite a ways the
other way when it comes to sports cars.  That said, the Jaguar XJS came to the
US only as an automatic, starting in the 70's when manuals were still more
common than they are today.  On the flip side, the Cooperworks version of the
new Mini Cooper S only comes with the six speed manual gearbox.

--Alex Haugland (who has 16 cars, but only 3 with automatics)
Eugene, OR
USA

On Nov 27, 2013, at 6:03 PM, snakebit289 <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I haven't driven an F-Type, saw the convertible in NJ when one was slipped
in for a preview at a dealership. Between having to be federally certified
separately from the auto box, and representing about five percent only of
total sales, some car makers don't want to bother. I was even surprised to
learn that Ford offers a manual box for the latest Fusion, but you have to
pester the dealer and swear on your childrens children that you won't cancel
the order once it's placed, and that's a car that Ford makes a bunch of(with
auto boxes).
>
> I guess if Jaguar makes an F-Type for any market with a manual box, and you
become King of CarLand, you could drive it within your kingdom.
>
> Rande Bellman
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 00:17:38 -0400

I don't remember which review it was of the Tiger when it first came 
out, but a race driver who had one as a personal car said he loved the 
car but that Sunbeam *really* needed to come out with an automatic 
transmission.  Most all drag racers I know use automatic transmissions.

I'm thinking of buying a new BMW Z4 or the F-type, and I'm very put off 
by not being able to get a manual transmission, but I do suffer 
intellectually that the modern tranny's are going to get through the 
gears faster than I will be able to.  Time to turn in my slide rule, 
too, and maybe buy one of them new-fangled calculators....

Chris
B3282000331

[email-masked]