Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 08:40:27 +0000 (UTC)

I am embarrassed to ask, but would someone please tell me which side of the car the H (High) unit is mounted, as they came from the factory? (Driver's side or passenger's side for a LHD car?). I am reinstalling them and of course neglected to mark them when I had them out. Might as well get it right as long as I am putting them back in. 

Thanks, 

Gene 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:33:36 -0500

Gene
	The Parts List does not show a side for either horn.  Not sure if
there is a convention for the placement of the horns either.  They could go
on either side.  I never took note of which position they were in; I just
wanted them working.   Hopefully others on the lists were more observant and
can help you.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters

I am embarrassed to ask, but would someone please tell me which side of the
car the H (High) unit is mounted, as they came from the factory? (Driver's
side or passenger's side for a LHD car?). I am reinstalling them and of
course neglected to mark them when I had them out. Might as well get it
right as long as I am putting them back in.

Thanks,

Gene

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 02:07:52 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Ron, 

I guess I could make this a little bit of a survey. The horns, at least mine, have either a "H" or a "L" molded into the lip and is fairly easy to see through the grill opening. If anyone is inclined to have a look at theirs, I would be interested in hearing on which side the H horn is located. (I can figure out the rest :>) 

I had previously made horn hole blockoff plates but did a poor job of locating the holes for the wires. Also made longer brackets to put the horns fully in front of the plates. I am looking to redo the plates with better wire hole locations, and which side I mount the horns to be directed straight ahead affects the wire hole placement. 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked], [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:33:36 PM 
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Clear Hooters 

Gene 

Ron Fraser 

-----Original Message----- 

Thanks, 

Gene 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 19:48:29 -0500

Gene
    Currently I have the Hi horn on the left side and the L horn on the
right side.
I took no note of which side they were originally on, so this is how I put
them back on my Tiger.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters

Thanks Ron,

I guess I could make this a little bit of a survey.  The horns, at least
mine, have either a "H" or a "L" molded into the lip and  is fairly easy to
see through the grill opening.  If anyone is inclined to have a look at
theirs, I would be interested in hearing on which side the H horn is
located.  (I can figure out the rest :>)

I had previously made horn hole blockoff plates but did a poor job of
locating the holes for the wires.   Also made longer brackets to put the
horns fully in front of the plates.  I am looking to redo the plates with
better wire hole locations, and  which side I mount the horns to be directed
straight ahead affects the wire hole placement.

Gene

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:54:02 +0000 (UTC)

For what its worth, I have the H on the drivers side(too?).
But I had them off the car for probably 35 years until I got
around to adjusting them and making them work again  ;-)
But, I think the way they were attached to their brackets
made them only go back in one way.
Gary

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Fraser <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:48:29 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters

Gene

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters

Thanks Ron,

Gene

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 03:28:10 +0000 (UTC)

Gary, Ron, and Jim, 

Thanks for taking the time to look and share how your cars are set up. Judging from the limited response, the vast majority of Tiger owners must no longer have these horns on their cars. It was not a critical question, but interesting to me and thanks for caring enough to respond. 

Gene 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 08:49:42 -0800

I do not know what the factory installation was of the low/hi horns. 
However, there is some (probably very, very) minor logic to what I'll 
present:

The lower the frequency of a sound, the more unidirectional it is.  The 
higher the frequency the more directional it is.  So, assuming the purpose 
for the horn is to alert say... someone running into the street (as an 
example) it would make sense to have lower frequency horn on the drivers 
side (USA). The reason being the added side distance to the person would 
better be heard by a lower frequency.  That reason is probably ridiculously 
nit picky on my part, but the only reason I can see for having a 
determination for horn placement.  And, if it were actually true then the 
country of shipment would have different horn locations based on what side 
of the road was driven on.

If the horns have different physical structures (I don't know) then I can 
see the need to place them as shipped for concourse accuracy.  On the other 
hand I don't ever recall a frequency spectrum analyzer ever being used to 
determine judging points at a car show.  It may be there was no 
determination at the factory.  I'm not saying it is wrong to strive for 
accuracy, only that it might not matter.  I hope you do find an accurate 
answer. If so please report back because now I'm just curious.

  This subject does make me wonder if the infamous "Road Runner" horn(s) 
were of different frequency or they just had a slight, overlapping delay of 
the same frequency.

Tom 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:22:50 +0000 (UTC)

Tom, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I agree with everything you have said. Unless there is/was a federal saftey standard for this sort of thing, as a practical matter I cannot see much difference either. I like your reasoning regarding the wider dispersion of the lower frequency horn. It is a theoretical reason for handing, although at the frequencies involved it may not make much difference from a practical sense. It also occurred to me that given the RHD world from which the cars came, they were setup for context, if a distinction was made at all. As an aside, it would be curious to know if the Alpine owners have noticed anything meaningful on the placement. 

I cannot see this being a concours issue either, although it would be easy enough to check without a frequency analyzer. The lip of each horn has either a fairly large "L" or "H" stamped on the front bottom part of the opening and easily can be seen through the grill opening. Maybe next time I am at a national event I will make my own little survey. 

FWIW, physically, the horns are mirror images of each other with spirals/snail trumpets that square off at the front. 

In any event, I am just moving on. 

Thanks again, Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 10:49:42 AM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters 

Tom 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 21:14:07 +0000

I'm in the 'no original Clear Hooters installation' camp, so I've resisted
commenting up to now. I did at some point acquire some that had the original
bracketry attached, so it was possible to try the horns on each side and see
what made sense. If I installed them one way, the trumpets faced straight
forward. That might seem to be a good way to get good sound, but then I
realized that they'd also make great bug catchers that way. So I installed
them the other way, where the trumpets are canted inward about 60 degrees.
Then I installed horn-hole blockoff plates but I made up mounts that went off
the blockoff plates, that preserved the original angles - they just push the
horns ahead by a couple of inches.

I did find that it was necessary to take the horns apart, clean up the points,
and then reassemble them and adjust the current to spec, to make them work
reliably... and that I had to install a relay to actuate the horns because the
horn ring circuit on the steering wheel had way too much resistance to
actually properly drive the horns. Now, they are good... I can look to see
what I have on which side, but I can't vouch for originality.

Theo

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]