Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Exhaust - Headers

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 07:37:55 -0500

I have had Jet Hot silver ceramic coating on my Pantera headers and exhaust
for 9 years and it still looks new.

Michael Shortt
On Nov 24, 2013 3:01 AM, "Brian Glenn" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Time to invest in a new exhaust system and want to get some feedback on
> headers.  I throw my business to Sunbeam Specialties whenever I can, but am
> interested in the forum's opinions on the new CAT headers versus SS and
> others.  The price difference is substantial, but I understand the CAT
> headers
> address some outstanding issues with previous header versions.  Also
> wanted to
> inquire about powder and other coating methods and if there is a shop in
> SoCal
> that can be recommended.
> Thanks in advance.
> Brian
>
> B9471101LRXFE
> B9472615LRXFE
> B382000846LRXFE
> B382001212LRXFE
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 07:47:20 -0500

The Sunbeam Specialties headers (installed @ 2008) fit without modification
and clear the remote oil filter plate sufficiently, but do not allow for a
small oil filter ( Fram PH16).  I had the headers coated at Performance
Coatings in Georgia; the coating appears durable, has not chipped or
scratched. I didn't measure before / after temperatures so I can't speak to
the effectiveness of the coating.

Tim Suddard (Classic Motorsports) installed the older version of the C.A.T.
headers, if I remember correctly. You might want to look at his comments,
they're available online.

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Brian Glenn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Buck Trippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 07:15:33 -0800

Brian,

The CAT headers are quite different that those from Sunbeam Specialties.

The CAT headers are currently built in 304 stainless steel, using thick 
flanges, 1-5/8" primary tubes and merged collectors. (Some places charge as 
much for a set of stainless merged collectors as CAT charges for the entire 
headers.) They accommodate oversized ports and utilize the FelPro 1415 
gasket. (Hint: fit the gasket to the head before you buy the headers!) Their 
design and tooling has been the same for decades. However more "relief" to 
access the header bolts was built in when the switch was made to stainless. 
You use header bolts with reduced heads with CAT headers. Obviously, 
increasing the headers port size decreases the amount of sealing surface for 
the gasket.

The Sunbeam Specialties headers are built from mild steel with thinner 
flanges, 1-1/2" primary tubes and standard collectors. Due to the smaller 
tubes and flanges fitting them in the engine compartment is obviously 
easier. They may even be a better choice for a near stock 260 or 289 with 
stock ports.

I always ceramic coat mild steel headers but don't bother coating stainless. 
Some will polish and/or  "slosh" stainless (heat barrier on inside of 
primary tubes).

There seem to be two big problems with ceramic coatings: the quality of the 
material and the quality of the application. I've had very good luck with 
products made by TechLine Coatings. (CermaChrome, Black Satin, etc.) But the 
applicators need to get the process right, especially the cleaning. I've had 
the same product fail in two years when coated by one company but is still 
looking perfect after being re-applied ten years ago by another.

I don't know the flow of the Sunbeam Specialties headers. They could be just 
fine for stock-ish motors. One of these days we'll get some real dyno 
numbers. In the meantime, header manufactures like "Headers by Ed" suggest 
that primary tubes as small as 1-3/8' would be fine on a stock 260. 
Generally torque is lost with bigger primary tubes and torque makes street 
driving easier.

On the other hand, if you have bigger ports such 351 Windsor or most 
aftermarket heads, installing a set of headers with smaller ports is silly. 
In fact one of the biggest custom header companies did a computer study on a 
289 race motor using 351 Windsor heads and it suggested a stepped header 
design starting with 1-5/8" and going up to 1-7/8". (By the way, the 
estimate to design and custom build a set for a Tiger out of 304 stainless 
with merged collectors was $5K - about ten times what CAT charges for their 
304 stainless, merged collector headers.)

CAT headers are not custom designed for individual members. And they don't 
cost many, many thousands like custom stainless headers.  The CAT design is 
a compromise. It is aimed at the higher performance segment. It is not 
designed for a stock 260 although they've been used on them for decades. 
Perhaps those from Sunbeam Specialties might be better. Maybe not. Right now 
I just don't know.

I would add that I always "port match" the headers to the port. Period. This 
applies to matching gasket surfaces of the early stock heads (which are 
raised from the head's surface.) By the later sixties Ford stopped using 
this raised surface and machined the entire side of the head flat allowing 
for broad gasket sealing which the CAT headers use. If using the stock heads 
you'll probably want to "notch" the holes in the flanges for better sealing 
surfaces for the header gaskets.

Buck Trippel

-----Original Message----- 
From: Brian Glenn
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 12:01 AM
To: Tiger Forum
Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Exhaust - Headers

address some outstanding issues with previous header versions.  Also wanted 
to

B9471101LRXFE
B9472615LRXFE
B382000846LRXFE
B382001212LRXFE

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]