Subject: [Tigers] Clear Hooters

From: "Bill Rogers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:13:26 -0800

You guys piqued my interest; I have an original unmolested LHD car that I have
cared for since 1977. Prior to that it was purchased new by my bro-in-law and
has never been hit in front. I have never removed the horns and there would
have been no reason to remove them prior to my guardianship. The L horn is on
the right and the H is on the left so the horns are canted inwards. A piece of
information for whatever it is worth.

Bill Rogers
B9472703
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 02:27:12 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Theo, 

I have always found your insights very valuable. As it so happens, I broke one of the terminals off on one of my horns yesterday. Most likely a result of metal fatigue from numerous tries at alligning the wires through my home made block off plates. BTW, on my version of these plates I just made a pass-through slot for longer brackets to attach to the original mountng holes. 

It appears the terminals are attached by aluminum rivets. I am going to drill out all the rivets this weekend and take the horn apart and see if I can attach a home made terminal with a new rivet. You mentioned you had adjusted your horns to a current spec. I would be very interested in knowing what that number should be, as long as I am taking this one apart. 

Thanks, Gene 
----- Original Message -----
From: "Theo Smit" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 3:14:07 PM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters 

I'm in the 'no original Clear Hooters installation' camp, so I've resisted 
commenting up to now. I did at some point acquire some that had the original 
bracketry attached, so it was possible to try the horns on each side and see 
what made sense. If I installed them one way, the trumpets faced straight 
forward. That might seem to be a good way to get good sound, but then I 
realized that they'd also make great bug catchers that way. So I installed 
them the other way, where the trumpets are canted inward about 60 degrees. 
Then I installed horn-hole blockoff plates but I made up mounts that went off 
the blockoff plates, that preserved the original angles - they just push the 
horns ahead by a couple of inches. 

I did find that it was necessary to take the horns apart, clean up the points, 
and then reassemble them and adjust the current to spec, to make them work 
reliably... and that I had to install a relay to actuate the horns because the 
horn ring circuit on the steering wheel had way too much resistance to 
actually properly drive the horns. Now, they are good... I can look to see 
what I have on which side, but I can't vouch for originality. 

Theo 

________________________________ 

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of 
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential 
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please 
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure, 
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by 
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you. 
_______________________________________________ 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 02:36:49 +0000 (UTC)

Bill, that is indeed interesting information. You are fortunate to have such an unmolested car. And it seems that Theo's idea that they should be canted inward matches with how indeed they are installed on your car! Thanks for sharing. 

If I may just ask in the way of clarifying, when you say the H is on the left, would that be the LHD car's driver's side or to the left as you are looking at it from the grill opening? 

Thanks again, Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Rogers" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Tigers" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 6:13:26 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Clear Hooters 

Bill Rogers 
B9472703 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: Theo Smit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:16:38 -0700

Hi Gene,
Page N27 in the workshop manual says 5 amps max. I seem to recall that I
didn't have to go that far to get good sound, maybe about 3.5A for each horn.
You need ear protection to do this adjustment!

I drilled out the rivets that hold the cap on the casting, and after fixing
things up I used some 8-32 or 10-24 screws and locknuts (I Think) to put them
back together.

Theo

> On Nov 22, 2013, at 7:27 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> Thanks Theo,
>
>
> I have always found your insights very valuable. As it so happens, I broke
one of the terminals off on one of my horns yesterday. Most likely a result of
metal fatigue from numerous tries at alligning the wires through my home made
block off plates. BTW, on my version of these plates I just made a
pass-through slot for longer brackets to attach to the original mountng holes.
>
>
> It appears the terminals are attached by aluminum rivets. I am going to
drill out all the rivets this weekend and take the horn apart and see if I can
attach a home made terminal with a new rivet. You mentioned you had adjusted
your horns to a current spec. I would be very interested in knowing what that
number should be, as long as I am taking this one apart.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Rogers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 09:51:19 -0800

Hi Gene,

Left looking forward or as seen from the LHD driver's seat.

Bill
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [email-masked]
  To: Bill Rogers
  Cc: Tigers
  Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 6:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters

  Bill, that is indeed interesting information.  You are fortunate to have
such an unmolested car.  And it seems that Theo's idea that they should be
canted inward matches with how indeed they are installed on your car!  Thanks
for sharing.

  If I may just ask in the way of clarifying, when you say the H is on the
left, would that be the LHD car's driver's side or to the left as you are
looking at it from the grill opening?

  Thanks again, Gene

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

  You guys piqued my interest; I have an original unmolested LHD car that I
have
  cared for since 1977. Prior to that it was purchased new by my bro-in-law
and
  has never been hit in front. I have never removed the horns and there would
  have been no reason to remove them prior to my guardianship. The L horn is
on
  the right and the H is on the left so the horns are canted inwards. A piece
of
  information for whatever it is worth.

  Bill Rogers
  B9472703

  [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 17:57:56 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Bill, 

Excellent. Thanks again for your help! 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Rogers" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: "Tigers" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:51:19 AM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters 

Hi Gene, 

Bill 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: [email-masked] 
To: Bill Rogers 
Cc: Tigers 
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 6:36 PM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clear Hooters 

Thanks again, Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Rogers" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Tigers" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2013 6:13:26 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Clear Hooters 

Bill Rogers 
B9472703 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked]