Subject: Re: [Tigers] Jaguar F type

From: Stephen Waybright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:33:43 -0800 (PST)

I love the car... just can't bring myself to consider anything without a
manual tranny. They say a manual 6-speed will be offered, but that's been the
storyline for a while now with no specific availability date.  :(

Stephen
Waybright

________________________________
 From: "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, November
27, 2013 2:23 PM
Subject: [Tigers] Jaguar F type

My neighbor who runs a Jag
dealership came home the other night with the
supercharged V6 and tossed me
the key. Wow, car is solid, very well
designed, great interior and super fast
with the exhaust crackling when
you let off the gas. I would be in serious
trouble with this car. Problem
too, Jag reliability issues which are still
severe.

____________________________________________________________
Do THIS
before eating carbs (every time)
1 EASY tip to increase fat-burning, lower
blood sugar & decrease fat storage
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/529654edda21254ed538ast02vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: michael king <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:46:17 +1100

Stephen,

Don't hold your breath... most manufacturers seems to be moving away from
proper manuals.. they are all shifting to the dual clutch paddle systems...
it's very sad and if you look at manufacturers like Lamborghini, Ferrari ad
McLaren they now have top sports models that have no "stick shift" option
at all.... the days of drivers actually having skill and co-ordination seem
to be numbered.

I know the dual clutch gearboxes can change faster than I can.. but it
doesn't make them more fun.. and I still get a smile every time i heel toe
it down a gear

-- 
Regards

Michael King

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 22:49:59 +0000

Manual transmission?  An engineer at Porsche was recently asked about how Porsche could drop manual transmissions from their cars.  His response was a classic:  "Ve like the manual transmission; ve just like better being fastest."

Get it?  FastEST.

That said, for my purposes, I will stick with my stick. 
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Waybright <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]<[email-masked]>; [email-masked]<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Jaguar F type

Stephen
Waybright

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:55:14 -0700

michael king wrote:
> proper manuals..

Well, in a few minutes I'll be driving down to Phoenix from SLC, taking my
wife's Camry, an automatic, instead of my manual S10.  Oh well.

Back late sunday, hope Team.Net doesn't blow up while I am gone.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Stephen Waybright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:04:48 -0800 (PST)

There's a time and place when I prefer an automatic; towing with my F250,
roadtrips in my wife's Routon, and the occasional stop and go traffic jam
reminds me that my age will eventually make a using a clutch much more burden
than shifting will offset, but for now I require a manual in my sportscars.
 :)

Stephen 

________________________________
 From: Mark J Bradakis
<[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Sent:
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Jaguar F type
michael king wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> Don't hold your breath... most
manufacturers seems to be moving away from
> proper manuals..

Well, in a few
minutes I'll be driving down to Phoenix from SLC, taking my
wife's Camry, an
automatic, instead of my manual S10.  Oh well.

Back late sunday,
 hope
Team.Net doesn't blow up while I am gone.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:25:27 -0400

In 2010 I tried to replace my '07 full-house 5-speed manual tranny Suburu 
Forester, but was told they were now only available in their bottom end 
models. I was working with the CAA (Canadian version of the AAA in the U.S. 
and Australia..) at the time, and had our research folks check on the 
numbers of manual transmission cars being sold in Canada. The number came 
back as less than 6%. This was in 2010! Its less than that now.

I bought a BMW 6 speed manual X3 instead. Now, in this area at least, there 
are NO BMW cars being brought in with manual transmissions.

Its a sign of the times. Cars are being produced that practically drive 
themselves. For sure they park themselves! Driving schools are teaching the 
next gen of drivers in automatic equipped cars. Folks find it difficult to 
shave, install make-up, text a message, read the paper and/or talk on their 
phones while eating a sandwich, AND shift gears too. The gears have to go.

Only old farts and the odd young fella who likes fast cars want a manual 
tranny anymore.

Another reason to like (and preserve!) vintage and antique cars!

Dave

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mark J Bradakis" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Jaguar F type

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:27:43 -0800

The economy cars out of Asia have been a traditional "manual installed" 
vehicle.  Three years ago my wife went looking for a Civic with a manual 5 
speed. It turned out to be quite a search.  Apparently the Civic with manual 
installations is below 10%.  Over on the Studebaker site there was quite a 
discussion going on about how so few kids today can even drive a manual car.

  The irony..., the first time my wife rented a car with an automatic she 
had to ask how to use it.  LOL

Tom 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:09:05 -0500 s=q20121106; t=1385600947; bh=U6eKB/rXqrpSM41FVvowYgWr0jQyfoGo8uQOxxDqIrg=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=WwGMK5LDMU2yeyPi0nbA3eE6RaxzMR3SrJ0B64b0hquFPwBOlwFfaSzD22tckBFR/ a1buVlV/qSmlHCij0IPiSeS3SzQYo+CGMGCyeDPZggVypiKn0Hemw9bdbAgtTdejI/ bXfgL0hj4Fxh/emOriUl98HRs9S+sqTEVTNSg6oez5FXOjeFmyzAkH4jllOhFzHGNq qWAE/RTRmQGweyEHk6zyOGWoApGgY3QnFmahVCX03R0l8y57oIQP89DJvb/k2LuI/u h83Qnb+E/2/i4wGebLpIH2DJXv3m9JhR7JBSSFDNMDj6SLcAfcDj7HNvbB/QPf6fzI CUtEmfpvEYLwQ==

My daughter, a couple years out of college and finally in a job that has a 
future, decided to buy a new car.  She selected a Hyundai Genesis coupe, 
with a standard transmission. Neat car.   I had to drive it home from the 
dealer for her, because she had never driven a standard.  That weekend, my 
son and I gave her lessons, and got her going.  18,000 Miles later the 
clutch still seems to be alive, but, having ridden with her, its days are 
numbered.

She drove the Tiger.  Once, after many requests.  There have been no further 
requests.

After a memorable encounter with a shallow but snow covered hill last 
winter, she borrowed our spare Escape anytime snow was in the forecast.  But 
now, in typical overreacting fashion, shebs looking for new, winter safe, 
wheels.  A Jeep, the 4 door Wrangler, with, yes, another standard 
transmission.

My view is that an automatic can be better in slippery conditions, allowing 
you gently apply low levels of power, without slipping the clutch.  That was 
my experience from my old Cherokee and Explorer, but she is having none of 
it.  But checking the inventory of area dealers, there arenbt that many 
Jeeps with her desired option packages, that also have standards.

Anyway, there are still a few young folks out there who want to shift for 
themselves.

Stu 

[email-masked]

---

From: Stephen Waybright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 17:10:39 -0800 (PST)

No doubt they can out perform a human... F1 cars have flappy paddles for a
reason... but enhancing the driving experience (fun) isn't the reason.
Stephen 

________________________________
 From: Gary L Moore
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:07 PM

My
Chrysler Crossfire Srt6 is automatic and will out shift any human operator..
They made no Srt6 with a stick shift...No way to test a human
operator........
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Marc James Small <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 00:31:03 -0500

>had to ask how to use it.  LOL

First, I am 63 years old.  Second, I have never
owned a slide-o-matic.  I had to drive one in the
mandatory training course when I was in High
School but I never really understood them and
still do not.  My wife drives a slide-o-matic
Hyundai Sonata but my Hyundai Santa Fe has a
five-speed and, yes, I am quite capable of
shifting it even in a stop and go traffic jam.

I was a maintenance officer in the Army when we
made the conversion from manuals to
automatics.  Enough said about that.  And, yes, I
have rebuilt ten or twenty manual transmissions along the day.

Now, tomorrow, Thanksgiving in the US, my wife
and I will be lugging a six-foot table and
buckets and buckets and ice chests of food to one
of her daughters who lives about two and a half
hours of driving from us.  My wife has offered to
drive part of the way and, Lord!, she's a
farm-raised Michigander, so who am I to
argue?  If you don't hear from me again well,
think kind thoughts in our memory!  <he grins>

I still have Alpine parts around this Palace of
Earthly Delights, even running to a Series V
crank, but I have nothing Tiger for sale.

Manuals are the answer as the driver is in
CONTROL.  Robert Heinlein noted in one of his
science fiction novels that politics was the only
game in town for adults to play.  The same
argument can be made for stick shifts.

Marc

[email-masked]
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Graham Harlowe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 08:24:19 -0500

...."I was even surprised to learn that Ford offers a manual box for the
latest Fusion, but you have to pester the dealer and swear on your childrens
children that you won't cancel the order once it's placed, and that's a car
that Ford makes a bunch of(with auto boxes)."

The dominance of automatics seems to be a US/North American phenomenon.
Manuals are still quite common in Europe where gas is 4x more expensive.  I
rented a Ford Fusion while on vacation in France that had a 4 cyl diesel
engine with 6-speed manual.  It even had an "upshift" indicator light to
optimize gas mileage and when you put the car in neutral while idling at an
intersection, the engine would shut itself down.  Engaging the clutch to put
the car in gear again would quickly restart the engine.  The first few times
the engine suddenly 'died' in Paris traffic was discomforting.  Getting
stuck in a 4 hour traffic jam en route to de Gaulle airport made me homesick
for my Volvo automatic.  

Cheers, 

Graham Harlowe
B382001466

[email-masked]