Subject: [Tigers] Dash Pad Install

From: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:36:32 -0800

Ok, so I have my old dash pad off, in a zillion pieces, cracked all over 
the place. I see from both the metal onder it and frm th epieced togethr 
old pad, tht it was glued down around the outer edge about an  1 1/2  
inchesd wide from one end to the other. And around the vent openings.   
Contact cement of some sort was used but sparingly.  Also under the dash 
behind the front metal facia, it was glued down.  I seem to remember 
that there was a short discussion on gluing the pad down.   I am going 
to put the new pad on like the old one was on.

The questions I have is one of technique and procedure.   I head that 
one put contact cement on the two parts and let it set up. Then put down 
wax paper on the bottom, then some short sections of dowels (size, 
length) and then maybe some more wax paper over the dowels to keep the 
upper pad from gluing itself to the dowels.   Then place the dash pad 
into close proximity to the final location and get it aligned to some 
tape marks I have made.  While my helper is pushing the pad forward into 
alignment, I will pull the dowels from the center most locations and 
when in alignment, press the pieces together. I will do that working 
from the center to the outer ends. When that is finished, I will put 
contact cement on the tuck under pieces that go up and over the top of 
the dash and then when that glue is ready tuck all those pieces into 
place.  I will probably do those working from the center outward also.

If any of that sounds goofy, just consider who is making the plan, lol. 
I would dearly love to hear from any and all who have actually done this 
little chore and what pitfalls I am about to encounter. If you have done 
this before and are not to ashamed of your work, please, please tell me 
how you did it?  What contact cement did you use?  A detailed step by 
step procedure? Heck is there one on the TU web site?   I'll look...  I 
want to do this tomorrow or the next day.. I still have some minor 
trimming to do.

Many thanks, in advance!!!

larry

-- 
______________________________
drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph exit speed
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]