Subject: Re: [Tigers] Warning about Old Tires

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:24:19 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1378351466; bh=tklCjJHg+YcIbWluFJxotk807X7DYJWQ+gjb8Io3g2U=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=PMFb2v1wDdQVokg+ewlAuboqUp6lczOxXYNkIQjMAIH2GDtObp9AbSoJfMyiOrE6c 94x432QJ6a0H37l7FIM1BTqO8ASwE8Ad2Oxso27RVH5jcW4xt0lMuBRpifZMYiPZ5N mAwnvVNPV4UrhoemqdcicIkTk+s4RDO1QWZVhguAT71KhqoenZtxDLWYupaQyfTdg5 PZ9mDVvciEDxuWT/CweSIktBmTecCdQ/GXi8NpmdlG61P8X9Lw8Qv3UDjTnEQA0WWc JF7bt7Kox/FDyxlLkEsXBW/9CA6jTGictJ2qekHB2y3mpkzxrUd1oo/O65bIe3OkVw SiWRnE6lNn2nA==

Agreed.  I had two Famous Maker tires fail on my old Jetta.  They were old 
but looked OK and still had ample tread left.  They suffered some sort of 
internal separations resulting in them being not quite round anymore.  The 
wobble was quite dramatic.  No disasters, low speed, just a few miles from 
home.

When the first failed, I said "that's odd".  When the second did the same 
thing, I immediately replaced the rest.

A few years later I got a set of neat wheels for the Tiger, including the 
old Continentals mounted on them.  I contacted Conti, and they recommended 
replacing them, since the tires were well beyond the 6 or 7 years max they 
claim.

We replaced two sets this year, one on the Tiger, and some 7 year old 
Goodies on my daughter's car, that were starting to show external cracks and 
one started losing a few pounds a month.

Stu
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 07:06:53 -0400

Having almost died in a horrible head on collision with a tanker semi
truck, I implore you and everyone else to check your date codes. If over 7
years old, regardless of mileage, get new tires.
Now the story.
I like to play with Motorhomes, I have owned 5, I use them for work meeting
space and portable bathroom, hospitality for football games and a place to
relax and change at the racetrack.
I rarely sleep in them, but love the option.
I had just bought one outside Ocala, FL and started towards home, 13 miles
later on a two lane road in the middle of nothing, my left front tire
deintegrates and I veer into the oncoming lane in the direct path of a
speeding orange juice semi tanker truck.
Adrenaline kicks in and I am able to  manhandle the steering wheel and get
it back over in time to only lose my mirror which was sheered off by the
semi.
It was about as close to dying as I have ever come. The new tire was under
$200, the mirror and associated repairs were nearly $400, being
alive...priceless.
The tires on the coach were 11 years old.

Michael Shortt
 On Sep 4, 2013 11:30 PM, "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Goodies on my daughter's car, that were starting to show external cracks
> and one started losing a few pounds a month.
>
> Stu
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/tigers/michael@**
> michaelshortt.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]