Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:52:34 -0700

Andy,
Probably the best thing to do is go to the wide ratio transmission (assuming 
you have the close ratio).  It will improve your off the line response and 
not change your "highway" ratio at all.  Ironically I have heard of racers 
actually wanting the close ratio in the Tiger - and some have swapped to 
each persons advantage.

There are calculators all over the internet that allow you to input tire 
size, ratios etc. and see what the RPMs will be.

Tom
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 20:53:26 -0700

A 5 speed is the ultimate fix... but to figure out any changes to rear
gears, etc. you need this...

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/HokansonGearSpeedXL/pt-HokansonGearSpee
dXL.asp

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Andy Walker
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 8:44 PM
To: 'Tiger's Den'
Subject: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

Hey, guys:

I've got a question for some of the more mathematically proficient in the
group.  I'm considering making some changes to my Tiger pertaining to the
rear end gear ratio.  Can anyone tell me how to figure what kind of rpm
difference there would be at, say 70 mph, between a Tiger equipped with a
stock 2.88:1 rear end and one equipped with first a 3:07.1 and then a 3:31.1
rear gear?  Surely there's a formula out there that can figure that.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction?    

The bottom line here is that I need something that will get my car off the
line a bit quicker without completely destroying my highway cruising
capabilities.  I currently am running an Edelbrock F4B and a Holley 465 cfm
carb, a hydraulic version of the old Ford hi-po cam, and 13" LAT 70s with
185/70 tires.  The car currently has a 2:88.1 rear gear and that makes it a
bit sluggish off the line.  I've heard it said that a 3.07:1 gear was about
ideal for a stock Tiger, but with the cam and carburation my car has, would
a 3.31:1 be a better alternative?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2904 / Virus Database: 3162/6274 - Release Date: 04/26/13
Internal Virus Database is out of date.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 03:58:16 +0000

Hi Andy,
I have 3.31 gears in my Tiger. At 70 mph in direct drive (4th in the toploader
or the t5) it turns about 3500 rpm... Kinda busy and not great for mileage.
The T5 has a 0.67 overdrive and that takes care of things.
Others have already pointed to Bob's calculator; it will let you play with all
the numbers. If you want to make a change then 3.07 is probably the better
compromise.
 Theo

On 2013-08-06, at 9:44 PM, "Andy Walker" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: michael king <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:41:06 +1000

Andy,

with 185/70/13's the following will be the RPM/speed:

3.07:1
60mph: 2669 rpm
70mph: 3114 rpm

3.31:1
60mph: 2878 rpm
70mph: 3357 rpm

For what it's worth. if you are prepared to pull the rear end... dont...
you are better off switching to the wide ratio trans gears.. you will get a
shorter first and quicker take off without hurting cruising rpm. I have a
3.07 and run 195/60/14 ... the wide ratio gives a better first than i have
even with shorter gears,, and better highway.

The 5 speed is the best option.. you could run a slightly shorter rear..
have brutal acceleration.. and still better than stock highway... then
again.. traction might be harder to come by off the line...

i would switch out your first gear ratio before you swap the rear end. just
my .02

-- 
Regards

Michael King

[email-masked]

---

From: Sandy Ganz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 00:42:16 -0700 (PDT)

Here is an online version of the Gear and Speed Calculator. I have it
configured for a few of the top loader gear ratios and all web based in case
you don't have a spreadsheet. 
 
http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/GearCalc.html
 
HTH
 
Sandy

________________________________
 From: Andy Walker
<[email-masked]>
To: 'Tiger's Den' <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday,
August 6, 2013 8:44 PM
Subject: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

Hey, guys:

I've
got a question for some of the more mathematically proficient in the
group. 
I'm considering making some changes to my Tiger pertaining to the
rear end
gear ratio.  Can anyone tell me how to figure what kind of rpm
difference
there would be at, say 70 mph, between a Tiger equipped with a
stock 2.88:1
rear end and one equipped with first a 3:07.1 and then a 3:31.1
rear gear? 
Surely there's a formula out there that can figure that.  Can
anyone point me
in the right direction?    

The bottom line here is that I need something
that will get my car off the
line a bit quicker without completely destroying
my highway cruising
capabilities.  I currently am running an Edelbrock F4B and
a Holley 465 cfm
carb, a hydraulic version of the old Ford hi-po cam, and 13"
LAT 70s with
185/70 tires.  The car currently has a 2:88.1 rear gear and that
makes it a
bit sluggish off the line.  I've heard it said that a 3.07:1 gear
was about
ideal for a stock Tiger, but with the cam and carburation my car
has, would
a 3.31:1 be a better alternative?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy
Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:35:53 +0000

Hi Andy,
I'll share a little experience with gearing. I have two Tigers, one has a
high-revving 6800 RPM (no snickering, Buck) 289 with the standard close ratio
Toploader, a 3.23 rear end and 205/60-13 (22.8" diameter) tires. The other car
is a low-revving (5800 RPM) 331 stroker with stock 2.88 but with the wide
ratio gear set in the Toploader and 205/60-14 (23.7" diameter) tires. In
either case the cars will easily overcome available traction with much spin
and hop. I have a set of Hoosier R6s for the 289 car and those tires have a
lot of bite but still spin like hell.

When I built the stroker car I went with the wide ratio to keep the stock rear
end and therefore lower RPM at motorway speeds. I had the opportunity to flog
both cars last weekend through some of S.E.  Ohio's famous back roads and
actually preferred the 289 car with the close ratio box, it was a better
combination for tight roads when running 50 to 70 mph. The stroker car is all
about torque (over 325 lb-ft from 2100 to 5700) and was more comfortable when
I just left it in fourth and powered out of the turns, with an occasional
downshift for switch-backs and to blast past the errant Amish buggy. In short,
the close ratio was more fun and more involving to drive, the wide ratio was
more relaxing and less fatiguing. Two different kinds of quick. On the
Interstate the 331 car with the bigger tires and 2.88  turns about 500 rpm
lower so is more relaxed and less stressed on long trips.

So what to do? If your engine has a broad torque curve, the wide ratio is the
way to go, this also preserves the 2.88 rear end for those 80 mph I-35 runs,
plus it keeps your car close to original. A 5-speed would be the best choice
but you either go cheap and modify the car's sheetmetal or spend cubic dollars
and use Tom Hall's T-5 kit or the new Tremec drop-in kit from Bill Martin.

Also keep in mind what you plan to do about tires in the future. There simply
are no more decent 13" or 14" tires out there, so the jump to 15" or 16" will
change your running diameter and your effective gearing. Your current tire is
about 23.2" in diameter, a 205/50-15 is right at 23" dia, a 225/50-15 is
23.8", all part of the equation.

For Toploader parts I have had great service from David Kee Toploaders in San
Antonio TX, I have bought gear clusters and complete rebuild kits from him. He
will also rebuild yours with a nice wide ratio cluster. Be aware that to
rebuild a Toploader with a new gear cluster and bearing kit will be north of
$1100.

Good luck,

Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Andy Walker
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:44 PM
To: 'Tiger's Den'
Subject: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

Hey, guys:
I've got a question for some of the more mathematically proficient in the
group.  I'm considering making some changes to my Tiger pertaining to the rear
end gear ratio.  Can anyone tell me how to figure what kind of rpm difference
there would be at, say 70 mph, between a Tiger equipped with a stock 2.88:1
rear end and one equipped with first a 3:07.1 and then a 3:31.1 rear gear?
Surely there's a formula out there that can figure that.  Can
anyone point me in the right direction?

The bottom line here is that I need something that will get my car off the
line a bit quicker without completely destroying my highway cruising
capabilities.  I currently am running an Edelbrock F4B and a Holley 465 cfm
carb, a hydraulic version of the old Ford hi-po cam, and 13" LAT 70s with
185/70 tires.  The car currently has a 2:88.1 rear gear and that makes it a
bit sluggish off the line.  I've heard it said that a 3.07:1 gear was about
ideal for a stock Tiger, but with the cam and carburation my car has, would a
3.31:1 be a better alternative?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

B382001600LRXFE

TAC #740

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 00:08:25 -0700 (PDT)

B 
I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments about converting from a close
ratio transmission to a wide ratio setup while keeping the 2.88 rearend gears
for street driving. My first Tiger had a close ratio transmission and 3.31
rearend gears, and although it was great out of the hole, it was terrible at
70 mph on the highway at 3500 rpms. Granted, a close ratio setup is great on a
road course where you want your engine rpm in the sweet spot of the torque
curve at all times, but stop and go street driving is a drag with such a tall
first gear.
The factory 2.78 wide ratio first gear is 20% lower than the
factory 2.32 close ratio first gear. I have mentioned to some here on the
TigerB List that when I converted my present Tiger to a wide ratio, I
installed a 2.90 first gear instead of the factory 2.78 first gear. This makes
for a 25% lower first gear over the close ratio setup. My first gear is now so
low that I am next going to install 2.72 rearend gears for a 6% overdrive
(compared to the 2.88s). This will drop my 2.90 first gear to a comparable
2.74 ratio, nearly identical to the factory 2.78 wide ratio, still a 19%
improvement over the close ratio configuration. This will also drop my highway
engine speed another ~200 rpms lower than the factory 2.88s.
I spent ~$450 for
new wide ratio tranny gears and sold my old close ratio gears for ~$200. The
2.72 rearend gears range from $20 to $90 and use a fine spline (26) pinion
flange. I paid $50 for my rearend gears and $90 for the flange. Naturally if
you farm out the labor, it will be more. But for less than $500 for parts,
1/10 the cost of aB 5 speed, I have a 2.74 first gear and a .94 overdrive,
with no cutting up the car, no issues with the bellhousing, clutch, throwout
bearing, linkage, speedo cable, gear shift opening or drive shaft, and an
unbreakable toploader that can easily handle the torque of my 331 stroker
motor.
For those who are interested in a wide ratio setup, here are the best
prices I have found:
http://www.allstategear.com/Toploader.htm
2nd - WT296-21A
- $59.10
3rd - WT296-11A - $57.60
input - WT296-16BB  - $82.10
cluster -
WT296-8A - $142.60
B 
http://toploadertransmissions.com/
2.90 1st - $125
Note:
David Kee no longer sells the 2.90 first gear, but Dan williams does. I found
the Dana 44 2.72 gearsB on Craigslist and eBay and the flange you can get
theB IWEB Rearends in Canada (you can use my name).
B IWE Rear Ends Only
888-433-4717 ext 1, Danelle
www.iwerearendsonly.com
For those of us who
donbt race open track and donbt feel like dropping $5,000 for a 5 speed,
yet who like everyday street driving, to me this bpoor manbs overdriveb
with the low first gear is the best all around setup.
B 
Gary Crandall
B 
P.S.
For comparison purposes I have added my spreadsheet comparing tranny and
rearend setups (except 3.54 and 3.73) based on a 23" tire and 6000 rpm shift
point. Note that first gear for the 2.90/2.72 combo is the same as the close
ratio with 3.31s, yet drops 600 rpms in fourth gear.
B 
If anyone wants my
complete original spreadsheet to play with their tire size and engine speed,
email me off List.
(I don't know if this will come through the List correctly)
B 
B  
Tire Diameter, in B  23   Close Ratio   Wide Ratio Original  5 speed
Optional 
RPM, max B  6000  1 2.32  1 2.90 2.78 1 2.95 3.35 
    2 1.69  2
1.93  2 1.94  
    3 1.29  3 1.36  3 1.34  
    4 1.00  4 1.00  4 1.00
5 0.80 0.63              
Rear End Ratio  2.72 B   2.88 B   3.07 B   3.31 B 
Transmission  Speed, MPH B   Speed, MPH B   Speed, MPH B   Speed, MPH B 
CloseB B B B B B B B B B B B B  1  65 B   61 B   58 B   53 B 
RatioB B B B B B B B B B B B B B  2  89 B   84 B   79 B   73 B  
3  117 B 
111 B   104 B   96 B  
4  151 B   143 B   134 B   124 B 
WideB B B B B B B B B B B B B B  1  52 B   49 B   46 B   43 B 
RatioB B B B B B B B B B B B B B  2  78 B   74 B   69 B   64 B  
3  111 B 
105 B   98 B   91 B  
4  151 B   143 B   134 B   124 B  
5
SpeedB B B B B B B B B  1  51 B   48 B   45 B   42 B  
2  78 B   73 B   69 B 
64 B  
3  113 B   106 B   100 B   93 B  
4  151 B   143 B   134 B   124 B  
5
189 B   178 B   167 B   155 B  
RPM in top gear  B  B   B  B   B  B   B  B 
per MPH  4 spd 5 spd  4 spd 5 spd  4 spd 5 spd  4 spd 5 spd 
10  398 318  421
337  449 359  484 387 
20  795 636  842 673  897 718  967 774 
30  1193 954
1263 1010  1346 1077  1451 1161 
40  1590 1272  1684 1347  1795 1436  1935
1548 
50  1988 1590  2104 1684  2243 1795  2419 1935 
60  2385 1908  2525 2020
2692 2154  2902 2322 
70  2783 2226  2946 2357  3141 2513  3386 2709 
80  3180
2544  3367 2694  3589 2871  3870 3096 
90  3578 2862  3788 3030  4038 3230
4354 3483 
100  3975 3180  4209 3367  4487 3589  4837 3870 
110  4373 3498
4630 3704  4935 3948  5321 4257 
120  4770 3816  5051 4041  5384 4307  5805
4644 
130  5168 4134  5472 4377  5833 4666  6289 5031 
140  5565 4452  5893
4714  6281 5025  6772 5418 
150  5963 4770  6313 5051  6730 5384  7256 5805
B 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 07:41:05 -0700 (PDT)

The format got messed up on my last post. Let me try it again.
B 
I
wholeheartedly agree with all the comments about converting from a close ratio
transmission to a wide ratio setup while keeping the 2.88 rearend gears for
street driving. My first Tiger had a close ratio transmission and 3.31 rearend
gears, and although it was great out of the hole, it was terrible at 70 mph on
the highway at 3500 rpms. Granted, a close ratio setup is great on a road
course where you want your engine rpm in the sweet spot of the torque curve at
all times, but stop and go street driving is a drag with such a tall first
gear.
B 
The factory 2.78 wide ratio first gear is 20% lower than the factory
2.32 close ratio first gear. I have mentioned to some here on the TigerB List
that when I converted my present Tiger to a wide ratio, I installed a 2.90
first gear instead of the factory 2.78 first gear. This makes for a 25% lower
first gear over the close ratio setup. My first gear is now so low that I am
next going to install 2.72 rearend gears for a 6% overdrive (compared to the
2.88s). This will drop my 2.90 first gear to a comparable 2.74 ratio, nearly
identical to the factory 2.78 ratio, still a 19% improvement over the close
ratio configuration. This will also drop my highway engine speed another ~200
rpms lower than the factory 2.88s.
B 
I spent ~$450 for new wide ratio tranny
gears and sold my old close ratio gears for ~$200. The 2.72 rearend gears
range from $20 to $90 and use a fine spline (26) pinion flange. I paid $50 for
my rearend gears and $90 for the flange. Naturally if you farm out the labor
it will be more. But for less than $500 for parts, 1/10 the cost of a 5 speed,
I have a 2.74 first gear and a .94 overdrive, with no cutting up the car, no
problems with the speedo cable or gear shift opening, and an unbreakable
toploader that can easily handle the torque of my 331 stroker motor.
B 
For
those who are interested in a wide ratio setup, here are the best prices I
have found:
http://www.allstategear.com/Toploader.htm
2nd - WT296-21A - $59.10
3rd - WT296-11A - $57.60
input - WT296-16BB  - $82.10
cluster - WT296-8A -
$142.60
B 
http://toploadertransmissions.com/
2.90 1st - $125
B 
Note: David
Kee no longer sells the 2.90 first gear, but Dan Williams does. The Dana 44
2.72 gears I found on Craigslist and eBay and the flange you can get
fromB IWEB Rearends in Canada. You can use my name.
B 
IWE Rear Ends Only
FREEB 888-433-4717B end_of_the_skype_highlighting ext 1, Danelle
www.iwerearendsonly.com

B 
B 
For those of us who donbt race open track
and donbt feel like droppingB 'cubic dollars'B for a 5 speed, yet who like
everyday street driving, to me this bpoor manbs overdriveb with the low
first gear is the best all around setup.
B 
Gary
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 07:55:45 -0700 (PDT)

One more time as a test to see if I've got my formatting straightened out.
B 
I wholeheartedly agree with all the comments about converting from a close
ratio transmission to a wide ratio setup while keeping the 2.88 rearend gears
for street driving. My first Tiger had a close ratio transmission and 3.31
rearend gears, and although it was great out of the hole, it was terrible at
70 mph on the highway at 3500 rpms. Granted, a close ratio setup is great on a
road course where you want your engine rpm in the sweet spot of the torque
curve at all times, but stop and go street driving is a drag with such a tall
first gear.
B 
The factory 2.78 wide ratio first gear is 20% lower than the
factory 2.32 close ratio first gear. I have mentioned to some here on the
Tiger List that when I converted my present Tiger to a wide ratio, I installed
a 2.90 first gear instead of the factory 2.78 first gear. This makes for a 25%
lower first gear over the close ratio setup. My first gear is now so low that
I am next going to install 2.72 rearend gears for a 6% overdrive (compared to
the 2.88s). This will drop my 2.90 first gear to a comparable 2.74 ratio,
nearly identical to the factory 2.78 wide ratio, still a 19% improvement over
the close ratio configuration. This will also drop my highway engine speed
another ~200 rpms lower than the factory 2.88s.
B 
I spent ~$450 for new wide
ratio tranny gears and sold my old close ratio gears for ~$200. The 2.72
rearend gears range from $20 to $90 and use a fine spline (26) pinion flange.
I paid $50 for my rearend gears and $90 for the flange. Naturally if you farm
out the labor, it will be more. But for less than $500 for parts, 1/10 the
cost of aB 5 speed, I have a 2.74 first gear and a .94 overdrive, with no
cutting up the car, no issues with the bellhousing, clutch, throwout bearing,
linkage, speedo cable, gear shift opening or drive shaft, and an unbreakable
toploader that can easily handle the torque of my 331 stroker motor.
B 
For
those who are interested in a wide ratio setup, here are the best prices I
have found:
http://www.allstategear.com/Toploader.htm
2nd - WT296-21A - $59.10
3rd - WT296-11A - $57.60
input - WT296-16BBB  - $82.10
cluster - WT296-8A -
$142.60
B 
http://toploadertransmissions.com/
2.90 1st - $125

Note: David
Kee no longer sells the 2.90 first gear, but Dan Williams does.
I found the
Dana 44 2.72 gears on Craigslist and eBay and the flange you can get from IWE
Rearends in Canada (you can use my name).

IWE Rear Ends Only
FREEB 888-433-4717B 
For those of us who donbt race open track and donbt
feel like dropping bcubic dollarsb for a 5 speed, yet who like everyday
street driving, to me this bpoor manbs overdriveb with the low first
gear is the best all around setup.

Gary Crandall
ext 1, Danelle
www.iwerearendsonly.com

[email-masked]

---

From: Sandy Ganz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:20:57 -0700 (PDT)

I have a new David Kee Top Loader with a different set of gears. Basically a
tick lower first gear then the close ratio but not as much as the wide.
Stock Close Ratio in the Tiger
2.32          1.69          1.29          1.0
Stock Wide Ratio in the Tiger
2.78          1.93          1.36          1.0
My David Kee Ratios
2.44          1.69          1.29          1.0
 
If you
like to drive and do 'stuff' the close ratio is much more enjoyably from a
performance perspective IMO. My car has the close ratio now with stockish 260
and 13" tires, it's not that bad to get off the line, just takes a bit a care,
but never really intended the Tiger as a hole shot car due to tiny tires ;)
Like Mark said, think of all the parts in your system, 13" tires are tough to
find, 15" are easy and look good on a tiger so lots of factors if you plan on
doing anything in the future. Spend time with the calculators and try a bunch
of things like rear end ratios, gearbox's and tire size.  5 speed solves lots
of problems for the street driving, and might be a good thing for that, for
track don't think it has as much value and I like the way the top loaders
shift vs. T5 style gear boxes.
 
Sandy

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 13:07:18 -0700 (PDT)

Sandy,
 
I spoke to David about that setup. It's the 2.90 first gear
installed in the close ratio gear set. The 2.44 lower first gear helps off the
line, but not as much as the 2.78 or the 2.90 /2.72 combination (2.74).
Ironically the 5 speed has an even wider gear spread than the wide ratio, so
rpm drop between gears is even more difficult for a stockish engine. It's all
a compromise.
 
Gary

________________________________
From: Sandy Ganz
<[email-masked]>
To: 'Tiger's Den' <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday,
August 8, 2013 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

I have a new
David Kee Top Loader with a different set of gears. Basically a
tick lower
first gear then the close ratio but not as much as the wide.
Stock Close Ratio
in the Tiger
2.32          1.69          1.29          1.0
Stock Wide Ratio in
the Tiger
2.78          1.93          1.36          1.0
My David Kee Ratios
2.44          1.69          1.29          1.0

If you like to drive and do
'stuff' the close ratio is much more enjoyably from a
performance perspective
IMO. My car has the close ratio now with stockish 260
and 13" tires, it's not
that bad to get off the line, just takes a bit a care,
but never really
intended the Tiger as a hole shot car due to tiny tires ;)
Like Mark said,
think of all the parts in your system, 13" tires are tough to
find, 15" are
easy and look good on a tiger so lots of factors if you plan on
doing anything
in the future. Spend time with the calculators and try a bunch
of things like
rear end ratios, gearbox's and tire size.  5 speed solves lots
of problems for
the street driving, and might be a good thing for that, for
track don't think
it has as much value and I like the way the top loaders
shift vs. T5 style
gear boxes.

Sandy

Archive:
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Sandy Ganz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 20:20:58 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, it's not like the lower gear of the wide ratio boxes but for the most
part I think time is spend more shifting through the gears then starting out.
It's not all that bad even with the close ratio gearbox that's in the car and
stock 260, so my goal was to have just a little better out of the hole but not
the main focus. I'll likely be running something like 15" rims with 225-50's
and something in the 3.54:1 if I use the D44 that I have in the car (have the
gears and diff to swap out). My intended use is not freeway or cruising so
having it buzz is not a concern. I also have a new 347 motor that winds up to
about 7200 so for track use all seems to be ok which is more the focus with
light street work to the Friday night malt shop. 
 
Might step back to a 3.23
but not sure since I have the 3.54 gear set. I had a Tremec TKO in another car
and hated the way it shifted and the gear ratios, I ditched that for a Tex
Racing T101 with close ratio and fell in love with the way the car drives
again. I have a spare T101 that I was going to cram into the tiger but the
gearbox is much larger and would be a sheet metal problem. 
 
David Kee was
very helpful when I called years ago and I think I have a good set up with the
2:44 first, but when I look at the numbers with a high numeric rear ratio even
the stock close ratio would be ok.
 
Sandy

________________________________
From: Gary <[email-masked]>
To: Sandy Ganz <[email-masked]>;
'Tiger's Den' <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

Sandy, 
  
I spoke to David about
that setup. It's the 2.90 first gear installed in the close ratio gear
set. The 2.44 lower first gear helps off the line, but not as much as the 2.78
or the 2.90 /2.72 combination (2.74). Ironically the 5 speed has an even wider
gear spread than the wide ratio, so rpm drop between gears is even more
difficult for a stockish engine. It's all a compromise. 
  
Gary 

________________________________
From: Sandy Ganz <[email-masked]>
To:
'Tiger's Den' <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gears and rpms

I have a new David Kee Top Loader with
a different set of gears. Basically a
tick lower first gear then the close
ratio but not as much as the wide.
Stock Close Ratio in the Tiger
2.32       
  1.69          1.29          1.0
Stock Wide Ratio in the Tiger
2.78         
1.93          1.36          1.0
My David Kee Ratios
2.44          1.69       
  1.29          1.0

If you like to drive and do 'stuff' the close ratio is
much more enjoyably from a
performance perspective IMO. My car has the close
ratio now with stockish 260
and 13" tires, it's not that bad to get off the
line, just takes a bit a care,
but never really intended
 the Tiger as a hole
shot car due to tiny tires ;)
Like Mark said, think of all the parts in your
system, 13" tires are tough to
find, 15" are easy and look good on a tiger so
lots of factors if you plan on
doing anything in the future. Spend time with
the calculators and try a bunch
of things like rear end ratios, gearbox's and
tire size.  5 speed solves lots
of problems for the street driving, and might
be a good thing for that, for
track don't think it has as much value and I
like the way the top loaders
shift vs. T5 style gear boxes.

Sandy

[email-masked]

[email-masked]