Subject: [Tigers] Pertronix / MSD Coil

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 23:13:31 -0700

Not a Tiger application in my case - but..., I know  quite a few of the Tiger
folks are running the Pertronix ignition module ( the original version in my
case). Are any of you running the MSD Blaster 2 coil (8203)?  I am not
planning to use the MSD box, only the Pertronix and the MSD coil.  I've read
on the internet where some have no issues at all. However, there are those who
say that Pertonix told them NOT to use the MSD coil.

So, it is a bit confusing. If you have had success with the combination I'm
planning, I'd like to hear from you.  Also, I'd like to know if you use a
ballast resistor.  MSD says the resistor, .8 ohms, is only needed for points.

Thanks, Tom
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 08:45:54 -0400

Tom
	I think you need to talk to Pertronix about your situation or go to
their web site to see what they say.  You may also want to check the MSD web
site to see if they show your combination and how to install it correctly.

	Some of this is determined by which Pertronix module you are going
to use.  I have a Pertronix I unit with a ballast resistor. This is the way
the Pertronix installation instructions show to install this unit.  The
instructions also state that the voltage to the Pertronix I unit can not be
less than 6V with the ballast resistor.

	I believe the Pertonix II and III modules require a constant 12V to
operate correctly; no ballast resistor.  This is where you need the Pertonix
instructions to confirm that statement.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Thomas Witt
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 2:14 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Pertronix / MSD Coil

Not a Tiger application in my case - but..., I know  quite a few of the
Tiger folks are running the Pertronix ignition module ( the original version
in my case). Are any of you running the MSD Blaster 2 coil (8203)?  I am not
planning to use the MSD box, only the Pertronix and the MSD coil.  I've read
on the internet where some have no issues at all. However, there are those
who say that Pertonix told them NOT to use the MSD coil.

So, it is a bit confusing. If you have had success with the combination I'm
planning, I'd like to hear from you.  Also, I'd like to know if you use a
ballast resistor.  MSD says the resistor, .8 ohms, is only needed for
points.

Thanks, Tom

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Don Antilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 09:45:09 -0400

Tiger Guys:
 I talked with Pertronix Tech Support about a year ago re the installation
requirements for the Ignitor 2. I can confirm Ron's statement that
Pertronix strongly advises that you provide 12 volts to the module and to
not run the 12 volts through a ballast resistor. That made sense to me.

Also, if any enthusiasts plan to use the Ignitor 2, be aware it has a more
sophisticated microcontroller than the older Pertronix modules, and
requires that you use radio resistance spark plug wires and specifically
NOT to use copper core unsuppressed plug wires. I asked the Tech guy the
rationale for this and he said it reduces the possibility of
electromagnetic interference getting into the Pertronix module. The Tech
guy said it could cause bad performance and possibly damage the Ignitor 2
module.
I think this is good guidance to follow and I installed black Taylor plug
wires with what look like factory spark plug boots with 135 degree angles
on the boots to clear the exhaust system better. The Taylor rep was very
helpful in setting up black 600 degree wires with the 135 boots.
Note: You should inspect your cars and decide if you want straight/ or 135
degree/ or 90 degree boots and ask Taylor to fabricate a set to your
needs. Taylor was reasonable in their pricing to me to do this.

I did not discuss the Blaster coil so I can't add any insight re that
particular coil.
I CAN say that you need to be careful where you buy a new coil; there have
been verified reports of overseas coils failing early in their life. Try
top find a coil made in the US if practical.
I had that exact problem with an overseas coil that went intermittent
after 5 to 15 minutes of engine operation. Took weeks to isolate the cause
of the engine stopping. I had to do a lot of troubleshooting, including
mounting a second coil on the intake and when the engine stopped, I
swapped to the original coil.
Problem gone- engine ran well so I kept the original FoMoCo coil in the
car (a Series 200 Griffith).
Don Antilla

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 15:05:47 -0700

Thank you everyone for your replies. To answer a few questions:

Why mix parts? -  I have a Pertronix I module because  it came with a 
rebuilt distributor I bought off of Ebay. It works fine with the stock coil. 
The MSD coil I got the other day at Pick A Part.  My apology if my frugality 
caused confusion.  Income has been cut over 50% - and not going to get any 
better.

What does theMSD site say? -  From the MSD site; "Improved output coil for 
electronic, Point, Blaster or MSD 5, 6, and 7 Series Ignitions (ballast 
resistor required for points)"  It basically stated the coil can be used 
with anything (ballast resistor with points). And from what I read on the 
internet others sucsessfully have.

Yes, I was aware that the Pertronix itself runs off of 12 volt and not to 
connect it to a "resistance" circuit.

 My concern rose when I read that someone talked to Pertronix about using 
the MSD coil.  Pertronix told them not to do it. Others (that sucsessfully 
used the Pertronix/MSD set-up) said Pertronix was just trying to sell 
"their" coil.  Thus, I was looking for trusted confirmation if anyone on the 
Tiger list had run the Pertronix I and the MSD 8203 coil (with or without a 
resistor).

Tom 

[email-masked]