Subject: [Tigers] Frozen Calipers

From: Carl Halgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:19:36 -0700 (PDT)

Listers,

I have been trying to remove my Tiger's front calipers after 30
years in storage. The bolts are frozen so badly that I have been unable to cut
the rust, even after using 4 brands of rust cutting chemicals, including
industrial strength stuff. Even after a week or more of sitting, still
frozen. 

Anybody got any recommendations? 

Will TR-6 calipers bolt in?

Carl
Halgren
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 13:51:07 -0400

Carl
	You need to heat the bolts and probably the casting the bolt goes
through if nothing else is working.

I only have a propane torch to heat with and that should work for you but it
will take time.

Turn the bolt while it is hot; if it turns apply ATF and keep turning if it
stops turning apply heat until it turns again, if it does not turn at all
apply more heat.

Torque to install those bolts is 60 ft lbs

I only use ATF to loosen bolts; it mostly just smokes when hot but it can
flare up so be aware and have a way to extinguish any of the products you
already applied to those bolts when you use heat.

I like to heat some then apply ATF and let it set a few minutes.  The heat
will help suck the ATF into the bolt area and the rust.

The top bolt has about an inch of shoulder that could be rusted to
everything; the lower bolt has less shoulder but is probably rusted the same
way.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Carl Halgren
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 1:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Frozen Calipers

Listers,

I have been trying to remove my Tiger's front calipers after 30 years in
storage. The bolts are frozen so badly that I have been unable to cut the
rust, even after using 4 brands of rust cutting chemicals, including
industrial strength stuff. Even after a week or more of sitting, still
frozen.

Carl
Halgren

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 13:55:43 -0700

Everyone has their special chemicals.  I bought a can that I can't get over
the counter that I've had work when all others have failed.  If you are in
So. Cal., you can have some.

One other thing to do is to apply force on the bolt while banging on the
base with the threaded hole.  The twist and shock can help bring it free.
The best is the be able to bang on opposite ends of the base at once.  But,
I don't think there is room on this one for that.  Also, I realize how
close quarters this is.  It's hard enough to get a wrench in there, let
along bang away with and hammer.  This task probably really needs two
people, which is even harder in the confined location.

You may consider pulling off the entire axle and taking it to a shop with
an impact wrench.  Or maybe it's finally time to break down and buy that
compresser and impact wrench you've always wanted.  Then again, I'm not
sure an impact wrench will fit in there.

Personally, I've never been able to get anything hot enough to seem to make
a difference.  Maybe I need more than the butane torch I got at the local
hardware store.

Finally, if you are in California, please be sure that car has lots of
heavy duty stuff underneath it so that all this banging doesn't knock the
car off the jack stands and on to you!!!!

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Carl Halgren <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]