Subject: [Tigers] LED Brake Lights

From: "Sigma Engineering" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:57:31 -0400

Hi group,
What is the easiest/best/cheapest way to change over to LED brake lights?
Thanks in Advance,
Chris
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Sandy Ganz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 14:47:23 -0700 (PDT)

Not sure if anything better the stock, but I have run them on my wifes SUV and
they seem to not make as much dirt on the rims. Other then that, hard to say
from my limited use if they last longer or stop better. I do know that the
carbon version that are around for passenger cars (I forget the brand) did
make a noticeable difference on my Diesel excursion when I switch from regular
stock pads. I have a set of the autozone lifetime ceramic pads sitting on the
shelf for the excursion when the carbon pads wear out, if you want to wait a
few months I'll let you know ;)
 
On thing I can say for sure is that autozone
rotors are not very good, gone through a few sets on different cars and they
seem to be 'soft' metal vs. stock or quality parts, so much so that I always
figure to toss the rotors when I change the pads. They are inexpensive and
almost a wash to have them turned.
 
Sandy
To: Tiger Net
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:54 PM
Subject:
[Tigers] Brake Pads - Non Tiger

I need opinions:  Are ceramic brake pads
worth the higher price for daily driver street use?  Is there any effect on
brake effort, or disk wear?  The application is my wife's Jeep Liberty.

Stu

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Sandy Ganz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 14:52:30 -0700 (PDT)

Swap the bulbs, see if it works. 
 
If the turn signals don't blink or blink
too fast you may need a resistor across the bulb for the turn signal circuit,
 
I think they sell an adapter for that. It's needed for mechanical/heat type
of flashers that rely on the higher current used by a 'filament' bulb. The LED
bulbs don't draw much power and will not cause the flasher to heat up to open
and close the contact.
 
The last thing you can do is use a 3 terminal flasher
that is not load sensitive. It's basically a 2 prong flasher with a flying
lead that you ground and works with any type of load. Check Waytek Wire for
them, I think that's where I got the last one.
 
A few ways to skin the cat.
Check the LED bulbs some may have the resistor built in.
 
Sandy
________________________________
 From: Sigma Engineering
<[email-masked]>
To: Tiger Net <[email-masked]> 
Sent:
Sunday, August 11, 2013 1:57 PM
Subject: [Tigers] LED Brake Lights

Hi
group,
What is the easiest/best/cheapest way to change over to LED brake
lights?
Thanks in Advance,
Chris
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Lynn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 09:55:02 -0600

Make sure you buy "omni" directional LED bulbs.  They will appear brighter
and will reflect off the housing.  "uni" directional bulbs only shine
outward so they are very dim to drivers behind you.

Try the following link:
http://www.lbcarco.com/cgi-bin/gen5?nextform=/orderinprogress.html&o=6931228
.23319165113&p=

It might get you started.

Lynn

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Sandy Ganz
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:53 PM
To: Sigma Engineering; Tiger Net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] LED Brake Lights

If the turn signals don't blink or blink too fast you may need a resistor
across the bulb for the turn signal circuit,
 
I think they sell an adapter for that. It's needed for mechanical/heat type
of flashers that rely on the higher current used by a 'filament' bulb. The
LED bulbs don't draw much power and will not cause the flasher to heat up to
open and close the contact.

The last thing you can do is use a 3 terminal flasher that is not load
sensitive. It's basically a 2 prong flasher with a flying lead that you
ground and works with any type of load. Check Waytek Wire for them, I think
that's where I got the last one.

Sandy

Hi
group,

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Sigma Engineering" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:14:50 -0400

LED brake update....
I purchase my bulbs & electronic flasher from superbrightleds.com
The bulbs installed simple enough.  The old lucas FL5 flasher would not 
cycle, but i had bought the electronic flasher anyway since the lucas unit 
was acting up at times.  The new electronic flasher fit the socket , but the 
terminals were in a different orientation from the Lucas unit.  A quick swap 
of the spade lugs in the 3-prong socket & everything worked as expected.   I 
think the total cost was under $35 & that even included a brake light for my 
'76 BMW R90/6 plus a spare.  I feel much better about my upcoming road trip 
in a couple of weeks.

chris

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Alex Haugland" <[email-masked]>
To: "Sigma Engineering" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] LED Brake Lights

> The easiest is to buy LED bulb replacements coloured to match the lens 
> (e.g. red for the brake lamp).  With white LEDs the brake lamps illuminate 
> with more of a pinkish glow.  With a separate turn lamp bulb there is no 
> need to mess with the turn signal flasher or any of the issues inherent in 
> the combined brake lamp/turn signal systems if all you want is brighter 
> brake lamps.  If you choose to replace the rear turn lamp bulbs, you will 
> also need to replace the original thermal flasher unit with an electronic 
> version rated for use with LEDs.  I've used the Tridon EP34 to replace 
> Lucas 3 prong flashers when installing LEDs with no problems.
>
> I've bought LED bulbs from ledlight.com and superbrightleds.com. Both 
> carry a range of choices for 1156/1157 style bulbs as well as instrument 
> lamp bulbs etc.
>
> --Alex Haugland
>
> On 8/11/2013 1:57 PM, Sigma Engineering wrote:
>> Hi group,
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe: 
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]