Subject: Re: [Tigers] Wire Wheel Tubes???!!!

From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:13:19 -0700

Hi Cullen

 I needed a new tube for one of the 13" wire wheel on my wife's Sprite last
year and my local tire shop had one in stock no problem... ( pop. 20k with 5
tire shops including Wallyworld !)

Interesting story, though... She's had the car with those same tires for
many years and they probably had around 22-25 lbs. of air in them ( light
car! ) but last year I was topping them up and put in about 30 lbs. .
Shortly after, one went flat! I took it down to the local shop and the tire
guy pointed out a couple of issues. The first one was that there was a 12"
tube on the rim! The other was... upon close examination, there was a small
rough spot on the outside of the tube where it was leaking and he pointed
out that often a tire will have one or two small stickers on the inside!
Sure enough, there was a sticker ( paper thin! ) about 3/8" X 3/4" on the
inside opposite the tread and we are now surmising that the years of
abrasion on that sticker plus the overstretched 12" tube plus the slight
increase in tire pressure led to the failure !!

Who knew??

Jim
B382000446

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Cullen McCann
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Wire Wheel Tubes???!!!

Ok Team, I have a minor emergency and you are the first resource I think of.
I have a series V alpine that I sold and it has wire wheels with knock offs
on it.  the tires are trash, and i assume the tubes are too because they go
flat in minutes. I have extra tires for the car but need tubes for a factory
sunbeam wire wheel. I havent called any of the local stores yet, but do you
expect any retail or shops in an average us metropolitan city to sell tubes
for a 13" wheel?

lastly, should I shoot myself now or later?

Thanks guys,

Cullen
1452 LROFE TAC 840
_______________________________________________
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Cullen McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:27:42 -0500

Thanks Jim...what weird story. fun to read. Well even since I posted the
question, your right, a local shop said they could have them in stock by
tomorrow.... 15 bucks a piece. so...looks like a deal. I will check the
paper / protective layer on the wires, for sure!

Thank you!
Cullen

[email-masked]

---

From: "Will Seay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:41:57 -0400

Cullen,

Way back when, I used to run tubes in the tires for my Tiger.  That was before I
came to trust tubeless tires.  Back then they made a special heavy-duty
(thicker) tube for radial tires.  The radials flex more than bias-ply tires and
therefore are harder on the tubes.  If you find a tube, make sure that it's OK
for radials, that's assuming that your tires are radials.

Good luck on your tube quest, shoot-now may still be your best option.

Will Seay_____________
[email-masked]
"I think not therefore I am not" (anon)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Cullen McCann
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Wire Wheel Tubes???!!!

Ok Team, I have a minor emergency and you are the first resource I think of. I
have a series V alpine that I sold and it has wire wheels with knock offs on it.
the tires are trash, and i assume the tubes are too because they go flat in
minutes. I have extra tires for the car but need tubes for a factory sunbeam
wire wheel. I havent called any of the local stores yet, but do you expect any
retail or shops in an average us metropolitan city to sell tubes for a 13"
wheel?

Thanks guys,

Cullen
1452 LROFE TAC 840

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:21:02 -0700

Last time I got my tires changed on my Alpine with wires, the shop had
them, no problem.  This was within the last 8 years.

This is in Agoura Hills, California.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Will Seay <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Cullen McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:51:02 -0500

Thanks Will and everyone for the thoughts. I was able to find a local shop
who said they could have the set of 4 tubes in overnight by special order.
The tires I had were several years old and used but they mounted up find. I
didnt pester them much on the details as this little series V alpine was
just passing through. I only mounted up the tires so i could keep it
rolling onto the dudes trailer that bought it. I bought the car out of the
dallas area for its hardtop. ( found the car on craigslist for 1500 bucks
with a complete, rust free hardtop, with ALL trim included even the little
clips on the back that joined the rear window trim. It needs full resto but
its complete and straight. I bought the car, kept the top and sold the car
for another 500 bucks over what i paid. whoooo hoo!  so i scored a nice
hardtop and made a few bucks. the alpine itself had some rust in the floor
boards and some body damage, but could be saved. I dont need another beam
so I sent it down the road via ePay. thanks for all the help everyone on
the little adventure.

Cullen
Alpine 260
TAC 840

[email-masked]