Subject: Re: [Tigers] 2014 Worlds Fastest Sunbeam Motor Candidate

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:46:06 -0400

Hit hemmings, ebay and craigslist for an old  Taurus
and rebuilt it ( that will be fun).

Michael shortt
On Aug 15, 2013 12:31 PM, "Larry Mayfield" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ok, so  a few weeks ago, I asked about alternative motors for the WFS
> version 2014.  I received a plethora of suggestions (don't you just love
> that word!) and some ver pretty dang good. But, while surfing this morning
> I remembered a motor that may fit the bill better and has some performance
> parts support. That is the 1988 SHO V6 which produced good power, over 200,
> and can be mounted longitudinally.  It shares a bell housing pattern with
> the Vulcan V6 motor. And is it just under 3 litres displacement and
> conveniently uses the EEC IV efi system and it might be cheaper than the
> national debt.  It is a DOHC motor but with a 60 degree bank angle so it
> will likely fit. And although it is a Yamaha, if comes from Ford so falls
> in my list of druthers for Ford stuff.
>
> The trick now, is to find one that  can be bought complete for a song or
> at least a loud yodel.  Anybody have a clue as to where I might start
> looking for one or two of them?  Might even turn out to be a good
> transplant for either a Tiger or Alpine... Of course, a manual trans
> version would be lovely also as I am tired of wrestling with my AOD trans
> good as it is... it is large....
>
> And I have thought of stretching the wheel base for next time... 130
> inches vs 90 sure seems better for salt racing stability.
>
> Went to the salt, Mon, Tues and yesterday for a look see. Salt is poor.
>  very bumpy, lots of soft spots and more spin outs in the day and a half I
> was there that most of the meets I have been to combined! Lots of broken
> motors and car parts. If it does not rain and smooth things out, it will be
> a tough go.  On a side note, my new F350 King Ranch Dually tow truck was a
> marvel..once even hit 95 mph, ahem, passing a big truck....  and still got
> 16.7 overall mpg up and back and around town....
>
> shoot me considerations for the SHO motor, 1988 specific and a manual
> trans set up for same....
>
> mayf
>
>  ______________________________
> drmayf
> Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
> 204.913 mph flying mile
> 210.779 mph exit speed
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/tigers/michael@**
> michaelshortt.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 18:58:30 +0000

Ah, SHO Taurus, my green 1991 was the only car I have ever owned that was
bought back under our state's Lemon Law. Great engine, everything attached to
it was a POS. Be aware that the later automatic cars ('92 - on?) were 3.2
liter, you need to find a manual tranny version to stay under that magical 3.0
liter bogie.

As a side note I bought a '96 SHO 3.4 liter V-8 engine, also a 60 degree
layout, out of a low mileage junker several years ago to use as a potential
engine swap into something small and Miata-like. Did not know at the time
about the cam sprocket loosening issues, this engine had fallen victim and
most of the valves were tweeked so it became a nice piece of scrap metal. It
was a neat little engine, too bad.

Here's a '89 SHO 3.0 liter in Vegas:
http://www.automotix.net/usedengines/1989-ford-taurus-inventory.html?fit_note
s=7a834fbaf84c4cf74707388f1af6a757&seq_num=3

And a Depends-load of '91 3.0 automatics around the country:
http://www.automotix.net/usedengines/1991-ford-taurus-inventory.html?fit_note
s=53018f94eded282c47f29ae44a6e472d&seq_num=2

Good hunting!

Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Larry Mayfield
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] 2014 Worlds Fastest Sunbeam Motor Candidate

Ok, so  a few weeks ago, I asked about alternative motors for the WFS version
2014.  I received a plethora of suggestions (don't you just love that word!)
and some ver pretty dang good. But, while surfing this morning I remembered a
motor that may fit the bill better and has some performance parts support.
That is the 1988 SHO V6 which produced good power, over 200, and can be
mounted longitudinally.  It shares a bell housing pattern with the Vulcan V6
motor. And is it just under 3 litres displacement and conveniently uses the
EEC IV efi system and it might be cheaper than the national debt.  It is a
DOHC motor but with a 60 degree bank angle so it will likely fit. And although
it is a Yamaha, if comes from Ford so falls in my list of druthers for Ford
stuff.

The trick now, is to find one that  can be bought complete for a song or at
least a loud yodel.  Anybody have a clue as to where I might start looking for
one or two of them?  Might even turn out to be a good transplant for either a
Tiger or Alpine... Of course, a manual trans version would be lovely also as I
am tired of wrestling with my AOD trans good as it is... it is large....

And I have thought of stretching the wheel base for next time... 130 inches vs
90 sure seems better for salt racing stability.

Went to the salt, Mon, Tues and yesterday for a look see. Salt is poor.
very bumpy, lots of soft spots and more spin outs in the day and a half I was
there that most of the meets I have been to combined! Lots of broken motors
and car parts. If it does not rain and smooth things out, it will be a tough
go.  On a side note, my new F350 King Ranch Dually tow truck was a
marvel..once even hit 95 mph, ahem, passing a big truck....  and still got
16.7 overall mpg up and back and around town....

shoot me considerations for the SHO motor, 1988 specific and a manual trans
set up for same....

mayf

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:45:28 -0400

Jay Leno has one attached to a Transaxle in the back seat of a Ford
Festevia(sp), it was called a Shogun. Very Limited Production, looks a bit
like a Renault R5.

Michael Shortt
On Aug 15, 2013 2:59 PM, "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> version
> inches vs
> was
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Teepen, Jere" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:29:52 -0400

Speed Freaks:

I just returned from Bonneville and we found the courses to be well graded and
smooth.  We ran a total of twelve times but did stay away from Course 1
because it was slick and had cars spinning all week long.  The return roads
were not graded, but were pretty smooth.  The SCTA-BNI did a great job of it,
as usual.

Jere Teepen

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 15, 2013, at 9:31 AM, "Larry Mayfield" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> that word!) and some ver pretty dang good. But, while surfing this
> morning I remembered a motor that may fit the bill better and has some
> performance parts support. That is the 1988 SHO V6 which produced good
> power, over 200, and can be mounted longitudinally.  It shares a bell
> housing pattern with the Vulcan V6 motor. And is it just under 3 litres
> displacement and conveniently uses the EEC IV efi system and it might be
> cheaper than the national debt.  It is a DOHC motor but with a 60 degree
> bank angle so it will likely fit. And although it is a Yamaha, if comes
> from Ford so falls in my list of druthers for Ford stuff.
>
> version would be lovely also as I am tired of wrestling with my AOD
> trans good as it is... it is large....
>
> very bumpy, lots of soft spots and more spin outs in the day and a half
> I was there that most of the meets I have been to combined! Lots of
> broken motors and car parts. If it does not rain and smooth things out,
> it will be a tough go.  On a side note, my new F350 King Ranch Dually
> tow truck was a marvel..once even hit 95 mph, ahem, passing a big
> truck....  and still got 16.7 overall mpg up and back and around town....
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Cullen1972 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 09:17:34 -0500

I believe there are three of those shoguns total, and one of the guys
responsible for the prototype is a buddy of mine, lives around the corner for
me here in Yukon ok. Local shelby enthusiast as well. I might be able to pick
his brain about it a little. Let me see what he recalls.

Cullen

Sent from my iPhone.

>> The trick now, is to find one that  can be bought complete for a song or
at
>> shoot me considerations for the SHO motor, 1988 specific and a manual
trans
>> mayf
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Andy Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:43:49 -0500

Cullen, et al:

The Shogun was a project that Rick Titus, son of former automotive
journalist and Shelby team Trans-Am driver Jerry Titus, was heavily involved
in.  From what I remember, Rick got together with a group of investors and
was going to build these cars for the retail market.  They were indeed Ford
Festivas on steroids; Taurus SHO engines and transaxles mounted in the rear
of a heavily modified Festiva.  What I can't remember is who dreamed up the
conversion; I can't remember if it was Rick or someone else.  At any rate,
the cars really went like stink but, for whatever reason, the project just
never got off the ground.  I do remember Rick coming to the Mid-America
Shelby Meet back then really excited about the project.  Greg will be able
to tell you what happened to it from that point.  

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE
TAC #740  

Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Cullen1972
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2013 9:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 2014 Worlds Fastest Sunbeam Motor Candidate

I believe there are three of those shoguns total, and one of the guys
responsible for the prototype is a buddy of mine, lives around the corner
for me here in Yukon ok. Local shelby enthusiast as well. I might be able to
pick his brain about it a little. Let me see what he recalls.

Cullen

Sent from my iPhone.

On Aug 15, 2013, at 2:45 PM, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Festevia(sp), it was called a Shogun. Very Limited Production, looks a 
> bit like a Renault R5.
>
> Michael Shortt

[email-masked]

---

From: Cullen McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 13:21:04 -0500

Thanks Andy. Yes Greg and I have talked many times about the shogun project.
I've also spoken to Rick Titus about it last time he was over here at my
place. As you know Greg and Rick are tight friends.  The way I was told, Greg
was on the design team for the project. I'm just planning to ask Greg about
anything related to the SHO motor that might provide support to Mayf's race
car concept.

Cullen

Sent from my iPad

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 17:41:05 -0700

Ok, guys, I started the thread here regards the use of the SHO motor in 
the Sunbeam race car. What does the Shogun car configuration have to do 
with that? If ya wanna chat about shoguns then please start a new thread 
so I can stop looking at irrelevant messages?

mayf

On 8/17/2013 11:21 AM, Cullen McCann wrote:
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Cullen1972 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 19:47:08 -0500

Hi Mayf, the shogun car uses a high performance modified SHO engine from the
Taurus. That's how this discussion got started. I'm discussing this for the
sole purpose of trying to help with your project. Ill let you know if I find
out anything useful about sho motors.

Cullen

Sent from my iPhone.

On Aug 17, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ok, guys, I started the thread here regards the use of the SHO motor in the
Sunbeam race car. What does the Shogun car configuration have to do with that?
If ya wanna chat about shoguns then please start a new thread so I can stop
looking at irrelevant messages?
> mayf
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]