Subject: [Tigers] OFF TOPIC - modern starters and clutches

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 08:18:10 -0700

You have been warned that this is off topic.  So delete now if you'd be
offended by non-Tiger emails.

There are two things about today's cars that has been baffling me. The
first is the cars that shut down rather than idle. How the heck do starters
and flywheel gears last from that overload of use? And, I thought starting
a car is the biggest drain on the battery. How does the alternatory and
battery keep up?  I mean, if I turned off the Tiger at every stoplight and
in traffic, I'm not sure my starter, battery or car would make it to the
destination.  [ok, see, some Tiger content]
The next is the clutchless manual transmissions. I think the dual
clutch/dual main shafts is genius, really genius - so simple, yet such a
difference. But, how do those cars inch along in stop and go traffic and
not destroy the clutch in a single day's drive?
Any ideas?

Jay
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 00:17:35 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Jay,
Auto stop (shutdown) is probably the single thing that lets hybrids achieve
their great city mileage.
It is amazing how much gas it saves.
There are several schemes that I know of...
The Honda hybrids like my old Insight have a pancake motor attached to the
flywheel run by the
144V hybrid battery.  No wear at all.  As an emergency backup, the Hondas also
have a
conventional 12V ring geared starter.. never used until the hybrid battery
goes bad!
The Prius has the engine connected to a planetary gearbox along with 2
electric motors.  This
replaces the tranny, clutch, starter motor, generator and probably more I
forgot!  The engine
starts from road motion after it starts going on electric power.  Nothing to
wear.
The GM light hybrids replace the alternator with a bigger alternator/motor
belt driven to the
engine.  Nothing to wear.  Battery is something like 36V...
Probably the most elegant solution is the Mazda.  It stops the engine on a
compressed stroke
ready for a spark to start it back up.  As in most schemes, electronic control
is really the key!
And as far as I know, as someone else pointed out, only the british (in modern
times) have
jammed starter problems  ;-)
Gary
    ----- Original Message -----  From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
To: Tiger's Den <[email-masked]>  Sent: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:18:10 -0000
(UTC)  Subject: [Tigers] OFF TOPIC - modern starters and clutches    You have
been warned that this is off topic.  So delete now if you'd be  offended by
non-Tiger emails.    There are two things about today's cars that has been
baffling me. The  first is the cars that shut down rather than idle. How the
heck do starters  and flywheel gears last from that overload of use? And, I
thought starting  a car is the biggest drain on the battery. How does the
alternatory and  battery keep up?  I mean, if I turned off the Tiger at every
stoplight and  in traffic, I'm not sure my starter, battery or car would make
it to the  destination.  [ok, see, some Tiger content]  The next is the
clutchless manual transmissions. I think the dual  clutch/dual main shafts is
genius, really genius - so simple, yet such a  difference. But, how do those
cars inch along in stop and go traffic and  not destroy the clutch in a single
day's drive?  Any ideas?    Jay
_______________________________________________    [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]