Subject: [Tigers] England Trip

From: "Joe Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 10:04:43 -0500

Thanks to everyone that replied with suggestions about my trip.  Because our
schedule kept changing the only car related thing we go to do was visit the
Transport Museum in Coventry (http://www.transport-museum.com/).  It doesn't
really have anything about Rootes or Sunbeam but it is a great museum.
Admission is free and I guess I was expecting a jumble of cars in an old
warehouse or something.  But this place is very nice and presents the cars
(and bicycles and motorcycles) in displays that reflect what was going on in
their eras.  In another area they have a selection of race cars from F1 to
rally.  It's a great way to spend an afternoon and you get to see a lot of
beautiful countryside getting there.

I had been swapping emails with a guy from the Rootes Archive Centre in
Banbury (which is very near Coventry).  They are only open by appointment
and we couldn't make our schedule work out.  I noticed on their website (
<http://www.rootesarchivecentre.org/> http://www.rootesarchivecentre.org/)
that they have some Rootes branded merchandise for sale but they do not have
any photos.  They don't keep it at the Centre, so I wouldn't have been able
to see it there.  Has anyone ever purchased any of this merchandise?  Do you
have some photos you can share?

Of course, Coventry is not far from Silverstone and they had the F1 race
there that same day.  So we got caught in that traffic on the way back to
where I was staying.  We saw a great variety of old cars on the highways
that day.  I don't know if the nice weather brought everybody out on the
roads or if the Brits just like to drive their collectible cars to the F1
races.

I also spent 1 day touring around London and I've never seen so many
Ferraris, Astons, and assorted other fantastic cars on city streets before.
Jaguars were as common as Hondas in my hometown.  I need to get back over
there and spend some more time.

Thanks,

Joe Brown

Arlington, TX

B382000217
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: snakebit289 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:22:06 -0700 (PDT)

I love Owain's account of West London, because it parallels my experience the last two times I stayed in the Kensington-High Street section. It looked pretty middle class as far as housing, until I started noticing the cars parked at the curb. One of friends told me that Manhattan is to West London what Brooklyn is to Manhattan, and once you see it, Manhattan seems like not such a bad deal afterall. I find the odd thing is, that to stay in the area has been pretty reasonable if you're just there temporarily. Maybe I've mentioned this before, but when I visited the Transport Museum in Coventry, seeing the display of the bombing of Coventry during WWII was a real eye-opener, and you get a much more profound notion of what the major cities in the UK underwent during that war.

Rande

[email-masked]