Subject: [Tigers] Idle stop...my thoughts

From: David and Varley Tweddle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:06:09 +0800 FILETIME=[5D224940:01CE8812]

Engine stop vs idling.

I've pondered how this could be better...

on a modern car they are efi and don't heat soak quickly or start hard when
hotthey don't have Lucas electricsthey do have good alternators, new wiring
(all be it light weight),they are not meant to last an overly long time....not
like our near 50 year old Tigers.
I have had a recent trip in a Landrover Freeloader and it was most
annoying....the vehicle owner eventually turned it off!!

In stop go traffic in Perth WA on a 40c day I'm not sure even a modern "auto
turn off at the traffic lights" would keep you cool!

Not a fan!

Cheers
David...alias Tiger_DFT
.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 23:12:18 -0400

David
	Very difficult to heat soak EFI that works a 40 or more psi; even
more difficult on direct injection which is much higher fuel line pressure.

	You make a good point about auto off at a stop and A/C cooling.
Probably has auto A/C controls too but no idea about the workings of these
new systems.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of David and Varley Tweddle
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Idle stop...my thoughts

Engine stop vs idling.

on a modern car they are efi and don't heat soak quickly or start hard when
hotthey don't have Lucas electricsthey do have good alternators, new wiring
(all be it light weight),they are not meant to last an overly long
time....not like our near 50 year old Tigers. I have had a recent trip in a
Landrover Freeloader and it was most annoying....the vehicle owner
eventually turned it off!!

Not a fan!

Cheers
David...alias Tiger_DFT
.

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3349 / Virus Database: 3204/6513 - Release Date: 07/23/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Carl Halgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:20:48 -0700 (PDT)

I have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I believe the A/C is electric so it keeps
cooling even when the engine is off. As I recall, a couple of years ago, I
started the car, but not the gasoline engine, and it kept cooling for 15
minutes before the engine started up. I have not done that for that long
recently. 

Carl

[email-masked]

---

From: "Will Seay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:26:26 -0400

My Boxster (not a hybrid) has an auto off mode.  My dealer recommended that I
disable it - said that on the 6-speed manual cars that it drove most drivers
nuts.  I thought I would give it a try anyway.  The auto off cuts in (cuts out?)
when the car is stopped, in neutral, clutch out, with brake applied.  I had
gotten in the habit of putting the car in neutral and letting the clutch out to
avoid holding the bear-trap clutch in on the Tiger so this didn't require too
much of a change to my driving habits.  The engine starts back up when you push
the clutch back in.  Don't know if it engages the starter or not, but I don't
hear any starter noise.  The auto off will not cut in if there is a demand for
the A/C.  If the A/C compressor is on, the auto off doesn't cut in.  If the
engine is off, the auto-off function will restart the engine if there is a
demand for the compressor.  That last part requires a bit of getting used to -
you can be sitting at a stop light with engine off and all of a sudden the
engine spontaneously starts up to run the A/C.  I'm still getting used to that.

Will Seay_____________
[email-masked]
"I think not therefore I am not" (anon)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ron Fraser
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:12 PM
To: 'David and Varley Tweddle'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Idle stop...my thoughts

David
	Very difficult to heat soak EFI that works a 40 or more psi; even more
difficult on direct injection which is much higher fuel line pressure.

	You make a good point about auto off at a stop and A/C cooling.
Probably has auto A/C controls too but no idea about the workings of these new
systems.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Engine stop vs idling.

on a modern car they are efi and don't heat soak quickly or start hard when
hotthey don't have Lucas electricsthey do have good alternators, new wiring (all
be it light weight),they are not meant to last an overly long time....not like
our near 50 year old Tigers. I have had a recent trip in a Landrover Freeloader
and it was most annoying....the vehicle owner eventually turned it off!!

Not a fan!

Cheers
David...alias Tiger_DFT
.

[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]