Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 5, Issue 250

From: Tod Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:55:06 -0400

On 7/23/2013 2:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> OFF TOPIC - modern starters and clutches (Jay Laifman)
Jay:

I don't know all the answers to all your questions, but I do have couple 
of thoughts.

First, I have always understood that alternators are more efficient than 
generators, so repeatedly starting a car whose battery has been charged 
by an alternator may not be such a large demand. Modern batteries really 
do hold a good deal of energy, so the stop and start cycle is probably 
something well within its capability. Follow a UPS truck around for a 
bit for a demonstration. Newer starters are also more efficient, I 
believe. You might have more of a problem with a Tiger, since it (at 
least mine) uses a generator which would have more of a problem keeping 
up at idling speeds (I sometimes see the red ignition light come on at 
idle - something I haven't noticed with the cars I have had with 
alternators.)

Secondly, I had a VW GTI in the past with the DSG transmission and it 
really is a neat piece. There are really two clutches (and two 
gearboxes) which are controlled electronically, making it possible to 
engage and disengage the (concentric) clutches without the worry of 
slipping the clutch as one would do with a manual clutch. It is my 
understanding that it is the slipping that can quickly do in a clutch 
but the electronics allows for that to be avoided for the most part.

Cheers,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:00:57 -0700

Good thoughts.  My dad used to joke about the British and their starter.
On the Alpine, the starter had this great little knob on the back.  It was
there so that when the starter jammed, you could put a spanner on it and
free the starter.  While it seemed like a great idea (and neither the
Germans nor Japanese had such a great thing), the better solution for
jamming starters would have been to fix the jamming problem in the first
place (which the Germans and Japanese seemed to do).

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Tod Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:

> generators, so repeatedly starting a car whose battery has been charged by
> an alternator may not be such a large demand. Modern batteries really do
> hold a good deal of energy, so the stop and start cycle is probably
> something well within its capability. Follow a UPS truck around for a bit
> for a demonstration. Newer starters are also more efficient, I believe. You
> might have more of a problem with a Tiger, since it (at least mine) uses a
> generator which would have more of a problem keeping up at idling speeds (I
> sometimes see the red ignition light come on at idle - something I haven't
> noticed with the cars I have had with alternators.)
>
> really is a neat piece. There are really two clutches (and two gearboxes)
> which are controlled electronically, making it possible to engage and
> disengage the (concentric) clutches without the worry of slipping the
> clutch as one would do with a manual clutch. It is my understanding that it
> is the slipping that can quickly do in a clutch but the electronics allows
> for that to be avoided for the most part.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tod
> B382002384LRXFE

[email-masked]