Subject: Re: [Tigers] WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:06:37 +0000

Last night in Tigerland I laid on my back and gazed up into a strange and
wondrous universe whilst I pondered weak and weary. In other words, I pulled
the driver's seat and stuck my head under the dash trying to figure out why
the ignition (white) wire suddenly decided to smolder and let some smoke out.

I had just pulled into my drive Monday and the engine suddenly quit and smoke
billowed out from under the dash. Ignition switch off, I crawled under and saw
that the white wire from the ignition switch to the tach and then beyond was
melted right up to about an inch before it disappears into the harness on its
way to the ballast resistor. I could not find any obvious place where the wire
had grounded out, so I applied the tried-and-true method of jiggling the
harness and turned the key. No more smoke and the car started. Hmmm. So last
night, with 9V battery and multi-meter in hand I traced the wire from the
ignition switch all the way to the distributor and found no shorts. Again,
hmmm. I then replaced the charred wire with new smoke-filled wire and
everything seems OK. So far. Suggestions will always be cheerfully accepted.

While I was there, I broke the fuel pump circuit and installed a toggle
switch, this for two purposes. One is for slightly increased security as the
car will not go far if "borrowed", two, I can shut off the fuel before I park
the car on hot days to minimize fuel boiling in the bowls.

Bugz

WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

Cullen
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:52:20 -0400

Bugz
	I have heard about the ballast resistor shorting to ground but not
sure if it was on a Tiger.  The resistor wire was loose within the ceramic
and as it heated up it sagged to ground; upon cooling off it was in the
normal position.

I would have a fire extinguisher on hand while you are sorting this problem.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:07 AM
To: 'LIST TIGER'
Subject: Re: [Tigers] WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

Last night in Tigerland I laid on my back and gazed up into a strange and
wondrous universe whilst I pondered weak and weary. In other words, I pulled
the driver's seat and stuck my head under the dash trying to figure out why
the ignition (white) wire suddenly decided to smolder and let some smoke
out.

I had just pulled into my drive Monday and the engine suddenly quit and
smoke billowed out from under the dash. Ignition switch off, I crawled under
and saw that the white wire from the ignition switch to the tach and then
beyond was melted right up to about an inch before it disappears into the
harness on its way to the ballast resistor. I could not find any obvious
place where the wire had grounded out, so I applied the tried-and-true
method of jiggling the harness and turned the key. No more smoke and the car
started. Hmmm. So last night, with 9V battery and multi-meter in hand I
traced the wire from the ignition switch all the way to the distributor and
found no shorts. Again, hmmm. I then replaced the charred wire with new
smoke-filled wire and everything seems OK. So far. Suggestions will always
be cheerfully accepted.

While I was there, I broke the fuel pump circuit and installed a toggle
switch, this for two purposes. One is for slightly increased security as the
car will not go far if "borrowed", two, I can shut off the fuel before I
park the car on hot days to minimize fuel boiling in the bowls.

Bugz

Cullen

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3349 / Virus Database: 3204/6495 - Release Date: 07/16/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:32:06 +0000

Ron, thanks for the safety tip,  there is ALWAYS a fire extinguisher nearby,
one in the car and a big one in the shop next to the TIG welder.

I am running a Pertonix II inside the dual-point and their coil, the ballast
resistor is by-passed. I am thinking the ignition wire must have slight worn
through somewhere, as the fuse did not blow when this thing smoked. At least,
that's my firm, unwavering theory for the moment. We'll see tonight when I
button up everything and connect the battery.

Thanks,
Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Fraser [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:52 PM
To: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light); 'LIST TIGER'
Subject: RE: [Tigers] WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

Bugz
	I have heard about the ballast resistor shorting to ground but not sure if it
was on a Tiger.  The resistor wire was loose within the ceramic and as it
heated up it sagged to ground; upon cooling off it was in the normal
position.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Bugz

Cullen

[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:59:13 -0400

Bugz
	Is the ballast resistor totally gone from the car or are you using
one of the posts for the bypass.

If it is still on the car it could still short to ground.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:32 PM
To: [email-masked]; 'LIST TIGER'
Subject: RE: [Tigers] WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

I am running a Pertonix II inside the dual-point and their coil, the ballast
resistor is by-passed. I am thinking the ignition wire must have slight worn
through somewhere, as the fuse did not blow when this thing smoked. At
least, that's my firm, unwavering theory for the moment. We'll see tonight
when I button up everything and connect the battery.

Thanks,
Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Fraser [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:52 PM
To: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light); 'LIST TIGER'
Subject: RE: [Tigers] WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

Bugz

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Bugz

Cullen

[email-masked]

-----

-----

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:13:37 +0000

Ron, your point is valid. I took apart an old resistor and solder a wire
internally between the two spades so it looks original but serves no function.
I will bring home a "megger" from work (a megger, or megohm meter measures
high resistances and looks for faults in insulation) tonight and go through
the harness and ballast resistor. I'm hoping you are right, as that would be
simple!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Fraser [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:59 PM
To: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light); 'LIST TIGER'
Subject: RE: [Tigers] WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

Bugz
	Is the ballast resistor totally gone from the car or are you using one of the
posts for the bypass.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:32 PM
To: [email-masked]; 'LIST TIGER'
Subject: RE: [Tigers] WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

Thanks,
Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Fraser [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:52 PM
To: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light); 'LIST TIGER'
Subject: RE: [Tigers] WHAT DID YOU DO ON or WITH YOUR TIGER TODAY!?

Bugz

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Bugz

Cullen

[email-masked]

-----

-----

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Pointer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 19:00:11 -0600

Cruised in to the local Casino for Classic Car Tuesday.
I think, with the weather the ways it's been for the last month, there 
was some pent up demand and ~75 cars rolled in.
One guy in particular, extremely happy to see a Tiger.

Gary in Alberta

[email-masked]