Subject: Re: [Tigers] England Trip

From: Owain Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:48:25 -0400

The museum is indeed rather nice but of course you do need to brave
Coventry to get there :)

Classic cars are a not uncommon sight on the roads in the summer at
weekends in England.

As for the cars in west London, yes it's rather crazy.  A lot of money
there.  I once saw 5 v12 lambos in a row that were unrelated to each
other and a rolls Royce was the next car.   Also due to the lack of
parking, most people park their Porsche turbos and the like on the street.
 Wander around the residential streets of holland park or Notting hill and
you see car after car parked on the street that is something really special.

On Saturday, July 13, 2013, Joe Brown wrote:

> Thanks to everyone that replied with suggestions about my trip.  Because
> our
> schedule kept changing the only car related thing we go to do was visit the
> Transport Museum in Coventry (http://www.transport-museum.com/).  It
> doesn't
> really have anything about Rootes or Sunbeam but it is a great museum.
> Admission is free and I guess I was expecting a jumble of cars in an old
> warehouse or something.  But this place is very nice and presents the cars
> (and bicycles and motorcycles) in displays that reflect what was going on
> in
> their eras.  In another area they have a selection of race cars from F1 to
> rally.  It's a great way to spend an afternoon and you get to see a lot of
> beautiful countryside getting there.
>
>
>
> I had been swapping emails with a guy from the Rootes Archive Centre in
> Banbury (which is very near Coventry).  They are only open by appointment
> and we couldn't make our schedule work out.  I noticed on their website (
> <http://www.rootesarchivecentre.org/> http://www.rootesarchivecentre.org/)
> that they have some Rootes branded merchandise for sale but they do not
> have
> any photos.  They don't keep it at the Centre, so I wouldn't have been able
> to see it there.  Has anyone ever purchased any of this merchandise?  Do
> you
> have some photos you can share?
>
>
>
> Of course, Coventry is not far from Silverstone and they had the F1 race
> there that same day.  So we got caught in that traffic on the way back to
> where I was staying.  We saw a great variety of old cars on the highways
> that day.  I don't know if the nice weather brought everybody out on the
> roads or if the Brits just like to drive their collectible cars to the F1
> races.
>
>
>
> I also spent 1 day touring around London and I've never seen so many
> Ferraris, Astons, and assorted other fantastic cars on city streets before.
> Jaguars were as common as Hondas in my hometown.  I need to get back over
> there and spend some more time.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe Brown
>
> Arlington, TX
>
> B382000217
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:31:19 -0500

Yep, saw Aston Martins parked on the streets in Notting Hill.  The English
say it is all of the new-money Russians.

From: Owain Lloyd [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2013 10:48 AM
To: Joe Brown
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] England Trip

The museum is indeed rather nice but of course you do need to brave Coventry
to get there :)

Classic cars are a not uncommon sight on the roads in the summer at weekends
in England.

As for the cars in west London, yes it's rather crazy.  A lot of money
there.  I once saw 5 v12 lambos in a row that were unrelated to each other
and a rolls Royce was the next car.   Also due to the lack of parking, most
people park their Porsche turbos and the like on the street.  Wander around
the residential streets of holland park or Notting hill and you see car
after car parked on the street that is something really special.

Thanks to everyone that replied with suggestions about my trip.  Because our
schedule kept changing the only car related thing we go to do was visit the
Transport Museum in Coventry (http://www.transport-museum.com/).  It doesn't
really have anything about Rootes or Sunbeam but it is a great museum.
Admission is free and I guess I was expecting a jumble of cars in an old
warehouse or something.  But this place is very nice and presents the cars
(and bicycles and motorcycles) in displays that reflect what was going on in
their eras.  In another area they have a selection of race cars from F1 to
rally.  It's a great way to spend an afternoon and you get to see a lot of
beautiful countryside getting there.

I had been swapping emails with a guy from the Rootes Archive Centre in
Banbury (which is very near Coventry).  They are only open by appointment
and we couldn't make our schedule work out.  I noticed on their website (
<http://www.rootesarchivecentre.org/> http://www.rootesarchivecentre.org/)
that they have some Rootes branded merchandise for sale but they do not have
any photos.  They don't keep it at the Centre, so I wouldn't have been able
to see it there.  Has anyone ever purchased any of this merchandise?  Do you
have some photos you can share?

Thanks,

Joe Brown

Arlington, TX

B382000217

  _____  

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3199/6433 - Release Date: 06/23/13
Internal Virus Database is out of date.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 17:03:19 +0000

We have been in Italy for two weeks. The car sightings have been pitiful. But then we are used to an awe fully nice garage and distorted So Cal experience.  

Interestingly, my sons couldn't wait to get here to see all the cars with "European" ride height, performance mods, etc.  We haven't seen anything.  Not even an M BMW or an AMG Mercedes.  Maybe two Porsches.  But nothing special.  One Ferrari in a beach town. A few older Fiat 500s.  

But with the bad condition on the roads and the craziness of the drivers - who seem to be genetically blind to lane lines, and the parking by braille method, I can see why no one would bother with anything but a mini-marshmallow bumper car!

And let's not even begin to talk about the swarms of mosquito buzzing scooters that fill any "available" gap between moving cars. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Owain Lloyd <[email-masked]>
To: Joe Brown<[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] England Trip

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "James Pickard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 14:35:40 -0400

The Transport Museum in Coventry must have changed considerably from when I
visited in 1999. There was a whole row dedicated to Rootes. No Tigers, but
they did have Rosemary Smith's rallye Alpine.

It was home to the handwritten Jensen ledger with all the Tiger numbers. I
couldn't see the book due to some recent damage to the records room and some
accompanying asbestos exposure. But they did send me a letter with all the
numbers for mine (B9473298).

Jim Pickard
Beaufort, SC

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Joe Brown
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2013 11:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] England Trip

[email-masked]