Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 5, Issue 250

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 16:14:36 -0400 (EDT)

Ah, the jamming British starter.  I had  Midget that  would jam about every 
10th start. Carried a 10mm open end wrench and could do it  by feel in the 
dark.
Mark L

In a message dated 7/23/2013 4:01:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Good  thoughts.  My dad used to joke about the British and their starter.
On  the Alpine, the starter had this great little knob on the back.  It  was
there so that when the starter jammed, you could put a spanner on it  and
free the starter.  While it seemed like a great idea (and neither  the
Germans nor Japanese had such a great thing), the better solution  for
jamming starters would have been to fix the jamming problem in the  first
place (which the Germans and Japanese seemed to  do).

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Tod Brown  <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> On 7/23/2013 2:00 PM,  [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> OFF TOPIC - modern  starters and clutches (Jay Laifman)
>>
> Jay:
>
> I  don't know all the answers to all your questions, but I do have couple
>  of thoughts.
>
> First, I have always understood that alternators  are more efficient than
> generators, so repeatedly starting a car whose  battery has been charged 
by
> an alternator may not be such a large  demand. Modern batteries really do
> hold a good deal of energy, so the  stop and start cycle is probably
> something well within its capability.  Follow a UPS truck around for a bit
> for a demonstration. Newer  starters are also more efficient, I believe. 
You
> might have more of a  problem with a Tiger, since it (at least mine) uses 
a
> generator which  would have more of a problem keeping up at idling speeds 
(I
> sometimes  see the red ignition light come on at idle - something I 
haven't
>  noticed with the cars I have had with alternators.)
>
> Secondly,  I had a VW GTI in the past with the DSG transmission and it
> really is  a neat piece. There are really two clutches (and two gearboxes)
> which  are controlled electronically, making it possible to engage and
>  disengage the (concentric) clutches without the worry of slipping the
>  clutch as one would do with a manual clutch. It is my understanding that 
 it
> is the slipping that can quickly do in a clutch but the electronics  
allows
> for that to be avoided for the most part.
>
>  Cheers,
>
> Tod
>  B382002384LRXFE
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]