Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on (Tiger Man)

From: Jeff Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 18:33:45 -0700

I had similar symptoms 90 miles outside of Winnemucca, NV in the dead of
night.  Limped into town without headlights so as not to kill engine.  Next
morning, local station identified a dead cell in the battery.  New battery and
away we went.

Jeff

[email-masked]

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:59:12 -0600
> From: Tiger Man <[email-masked]>
> To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hi all,
>
> I thought I would mention this one to the list, make sure I am going in the
> right direction. If I start my tiger and run the RPM's up, My amp meter
shows
> about a 5 Amp charge (until the battery is charged back up). If I turn my
> headlights on (with the RPM's up) it shows about a 3 Amp discharge. The
other
> interesting side effect is while driving around with the headlights on, the
> car cuts out dramatically but momentarily... like the Pertronix ign module
is
> browning out or something?
>
> Anyway, since it charges at all, I assume that means that the generator
works,
> and that I should go look at the Voltage regulator first, and if that
checks
> out, then move on to check the generator. I think I still have a used spare
> generator on the shelf. Will the local parts houses even know how to test
> those correctly anymore if I bring one down to them.
>
> Its been alot of years since I have had to work on a generator problem, so
> thought I would try to do the research on them. I did run across the
comment
> about polarity/charge on the charging system, especially one that has sat
> around for a while. I had forgotten or never knew that, but since I am
> getting charge from my current system, I am more concerned with that on any
> generator I might have sitting on the shelf.
>
> Just thought it was odd that a discharge condition would cause the
Pertronix
> module to brown out occasionally. Wanted to make sure that I shouldn't be
> looking at lighting system draw to ensure that don't have something weird
that
> is actually causing a massive draw and just maxing out the
> Generator/regulator.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]