Subject: [Tigers] Carb install - at least it's not leaking

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:19:40 -0700

Got it all back together and went for a drive.

Like I said, the good news is that it is not leaking gas anymore.

The bad news is that it doesn't want to run below 2,000 rpm.  As it warmed up,
it seemed like the rpm range needed to be even higher.  I basically had to
keep the rpm above 2,000 or 2,500 at all times or it stalled.

Any thoughts on what I've done wrong?

One thing I don't fully understand, and perhaps it is part of the problem, the
rectangular flap that is part of the choke, it seems to be open all the time.
I would have thought that when the car was cold, it would be closer to closed.
Maybe I flipped something when I put that back together.  But, even with wide
open, once the engine was warm, I would have thought it would run fine.

Over 2,500, it was nice, smooth and powerful.

Thanks for any thoughts.

And Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Don Antilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:59:08 -0400

I'd do a vacuum check with a gauge plumbed into the intake manifold. You
should measure around 19 inches negative pressure if your intake and carb
gaskets are all sealed properly.

It sounds like your idle circuit is not functioning. Did you set your two
idle adjustments screws?
If not, turn both idle slotted screws in (clockwise) gently until they
bottom out (do not force them).
Then turn each out (counterclockwise) for 1.5 turns for the initial
setting.

If the idle settles down, good.
If not, and if your vacuum reading was around 19 inches, then adjust your
2000  RPM down until it almost stalls, then turn your idle screws OUT
(counterclockwise) and see if the engine sound better.

NEXT- if the above checks do not get you on the right track, the idle
circuits are sensitive to wet fuel setting in the float bowl.
For the idle condition, it all runs off the front Primary float bowl.
You need to have your wet fuel level at the right point so the vacuum
effect on your booster venturis suck a bit of fuel down into the intake
manifold.
Be sure that your gaskets on your booster venturis is intact, and that the
screw holding it into the carb body is snug.

You do have a Ford carb- not a Holley, right?
I'm assuming you have a 4 barrel, but the same principles apply to the
original 2 barrel Ford carburetor.

LAST for now; please check your accelerator circuit.
With the engine OFF, grab the carb throttle lever and twist it. You should
see fuel squirting through the accelerator pump jets into the carb
venturis. If not, you may hav ea defective accel pump diaphragm or perhaps
you misplaced the little check ball under the booster venturi assembly, or
the accel pump plumbing is clogged.
These last checks don't correlate well to the problem you reported, but it
is a good idea to check this anyway.

If you want to talk with me send me a note and give me your phone number.
Regards,

Don Antilla

On 6/16/13 2:43 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Vacuum choke. Good idea though. Thanks.
>Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:27:23
>To: Jay Laifman<[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked] Den<[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb install - at least it's not leaking
>
>Is that an electric choke? Have you confirmed that power is going to it?
>
>Michael
>
>
>On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
>wrote:
>
>> The bad news is that it doesn't want to run below 2,000 rpm.  As it
>>warmed
>> up,
>> One thing I don't fully understand, and perhaps it is part of the
>>problem,
>> the
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>-- 
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Michael L. Shortt
>Savannah, Georgia
>www.michaelshortt.com
>[email-masked]
>912-232-9390
>
>
>This email is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy
>Act, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally
>privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>notified
>that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
>communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you
>have received this message in error, then delete it.  Thank you
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:07:36 -0400

Jay
	My Holley Haynes Techbook does not list this problem.
Something in the idle circuit is not right.

Check to see if the secondary throttle plates are closed

Vacuum choke? - Are you sure its usually vacuum secondaries
Choke is normally electric or heat stove pipe style with bi-metal spring

check to make sure there are no vacuum leaks

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 2:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb install - at least it's not leaking

-----Original Message-----
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:27:23
To: Jay Laifman<[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] Den<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb install - at least it's not leaking

Michael

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Jay Laifman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> warmed up, it seemed like the rpm range needed to be even higher.  I
> basically had to keep the rpm above 2,000 or 2,500 at all times or it
> stalled.
>
> problem, the rectangular flap that is part of the choke, it seems to
> be open all the time.

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
www.michaelshortt.com

This email is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18
U.S.C. Sec. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received this
message in error, then delete it.  Thank you
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 12:19:47 -0700

Here is a picture of the way it looks right now.  Shouldn't that throat plate
be in the closed position?  Or is it supposed to be open?  I wonder if I have
the choke attached incorrectly and it is keeping it open.

Jay

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpg which had a name of Holley Throat Plate.jpg]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:43:05 -0400

Jay
	The black cover is the automatic choke with a heat pipe - the
covered tube.

You should be able to feel some spring tension by pushing on the choke
plate.

It is possible the choke and the bi-metal spring inside that cover are not
engage properly.

There should also be a mark on the choke cover that usually lines up with
one of the casting marks.

Loosen the 3 screws on the choke cover to see and feel if the choke plate
will move with the cover as it turns.

Secondary throttle plate should be closed, primary throttle plate should be
very near closed - this is the idle set

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Laifman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb install - at least it's not leaking

Here is a picture of the way it looks right now.  Shouldn't that throat
plate be in the closed position?  Or is it supposed to be open?  I wonder if
I have the choke attached incorrectly and it is keeping it open.

Jay

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:51:33 +0000 (UTC)

Jay,
The choke is only used when the motor is cold.  Once the motor is warm, the
choke
plate SHOULD be open all the way.  In California, you don't even need the
choke,
I haven't had my choke plates closed in 40 years!
To find your problem, I would set it fully open.  I would guess that a small
bit of that
old gasket has plugged a passage somewhere (air or fuel passage).
Look to see that the secondary throttle plates are closed, then just work on
the front
section, that is where the problem is.
Gary

    ----- Original Message -----  From: Ron Fraser <[email-masked]>  To:
'Jay Laifman' <[email-masked]>  Cc: [email-masked]  Sent: Sun,
16 Jun 2013 19:43:05 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb install - at
least it's not leaking    Jay      The black cover is the automatic choke with
a heat pipe - the  covered tube.    You should be able to feel some spring
tension by pushing on the choke  plate.    It is possible the choke and the
bi-metal spring inside that cover are not  engage properly.    There should
also be a mark on the choke cover that usually lines up with  one of the
casting marks.    Loosen the 3 screws on the choke cover to see and feel if
the choke plate  will move with the cover as it turns.    Secondary throttle
plate should be closed, primary throttle plate should be  very near closed -
this is the idle set    Ron    -----Original Message-----  From: Jay Laifman
[mailto:[email-masked]]  Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:20 PM  To:
[email-masked]  Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb install - at least it's not leaking      Here is a
picture of the way it looks right now.  Shouldn't that throat  plate be in the
closed position?  Or is it supposed to be open?  I wonder if  I have the choke
attached incorrectly and it is keeping it open.    Jay
_______________________________________________    [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]