Subject: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on

From: Tiger Man <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:59:12 -0600 FILETIME=[14706370:01CE6301]

Hi all,

I thought I would mention this one to the list, make sure I am going in the
right direction.  If I start my tiger and run the RPM's up, My amp meter shows
about a 5 Amp charge (until the battery is charged back up).  If I turn my
headlights on (with the RPM's up) it shows about a 3 Amp discharge.  The other
interesting side effect is while driving around with the headlights on, the
car cuts out dramatically but momentarily... like the Pertronix ign module is
browning out or something?

Anyway, since it charges at all, I assume that means that the generator works,
and that I should go look at the Voltage regulator first, and if that checks
out, then move on to check the generator.  I think I still have a used spare
generator on the shelf.  Will the local parts houses even know how to test
those correctly anymore if I bring one down to them.

Its been alot of years since I have had to work on a generator problem, so
thought I would try to do the research on them.  I did run across the comment
about polarity/charge on the charging system, especially one that has sat
around for a while.   I had forgotten or never knew that, but since I am
getting charge from my current system, I am more concerned with that on any
generator I might have sitting on the shelf.

Just thought it was odd that a discharge condition would cause the Pertronix
module to brown out occasionally.  Wanted to make sure that I shouldn't be
looking at lighting system draw to ensure that don't have something weird that
is actually causing a massive draw and just maxing out the
Generator/regulator.

Thanks,
Steve
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Don Antilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 19:24:10 -0400

Hi Doug: I talked with Pertronix about a year ago regarding the Ignitor II
for my Series 200 Griffith.
When I talked with their Tech person, he was telling me that he could not
assure the Ignitor II would work at 6 volts; he recommended trying to get
as close to 12 volts as possible.
I believe there are different voltage requirements for the Ignitor vs. the
Ignitor II, so I recommend  that you call Pertronix to be sure about what
you need for primary voltage.

Also, if you or the other Tiger guys use the Ignitor II, be certain to use
radio resistance spark plug wires. I checked this with the Pertronix Tech
guy (again)  and he said it is a real requirement . The reason is that the
micro-controller chip can be disrupted with the EMI pulses from solid core
plug wires and therefore you must use radio resistance wires.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Don Antilla

On 6/6/13 6:48 PM, "Douglas Lyle" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>The Pertronix will operate fine until it dips below 6 volts.
>
>Doug Lyle
>________________________________
> From: Lynn <[email-masked]>
>To: 'Jerry Mo
>Christopherson' <[email-masked]>; 'Tiger Man'
><[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
>Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2013
>3:34 PM
>Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn
>headlights on
> 
>
>That was going to be my suggestion as well
>
>-----Original
>Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]]
>On Behalf Of Jerry Mo Christopherson
>Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:21 PM
>To: 'Tiger Man'; [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on
>I'm pretty sure the Pertronix needs a solid 12 volts.  If you are
>discharging
>with lights on you may not be getting full 12 to the ignition.
>
>Jerry
>Christopherson
>9473187
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From:
>[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>On Behalf
>Of Tiger Man
>Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:59 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on
>
>Hi
>all,
>
>right direction.  If I start my tiger and run the RPM's up, My amp meter
>shows about a 5 Amp charge (until the battery is charged back up).  If I
>turn
>my headlights on (with the RPM's up) it shows about a 3 Amp discharge.
>The
>other interesting side effect is while driving around with the
>headlights on,
>the car cuts out dramatically but momentarily... like the
>Pertronix ign module
>is browning out or something?
>
>Anyway, since it charges at all, I assume that
>means that the generator
>works, and that I should go look at the Voltage
>regulator first, and if that
>checks out, then move on to check the generator.
>I think I still have a
>used spare generator on the shelf.  Will the local
>parts houses even know
>how to test those correctly anymore if I bring one down
>to them.
>
>thought I would try to do the research on them.  I did run across
>the
>comment about polarity/charge on the charging system, especially one that
>has sat
>Just thought it was odd that a
>discharge condition would cause the Pertronix
>module to brown out
>occasionally.  Wanted to make sure that I shouldn't be
>looking at lighting
>system draw to ensure that don't have something weird
>that is actually causing
>a massive draw and just maxing out the
>Generator/regulator.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:20:08 -0400

I use to have the VR points foul and the voltage would drop to
battery.  I would stop, clear the points in the VR and be on my way until
the voltage dropped again.  I installed a volt meter so I knew immediately
when the VR points fouled.  Converting to an alternator system cleared that
all up for me.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tiger Man
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger charging normally until you turn headlights on

Just thought I would post a followup in case anyone ever has a similar
problem
and goes searching through the emails.    And also to thank people on the
board for the help.

 I checked the ammeter, and it zero and calibration seemed very good
(ignition off I think headlights showed about 10-12 amp discharge).

As several people mentioned to me on the board, the petronix is particular
about its voltage.  Even though there are docs that say the 12V petronix
will work down to 8V, the tech at pertonix mentioned that the module is very
sensitive to low voltage, although he didn't comment on what 'low voltage'
meant  But just a partial discharge due to poor performing charging system
and the headlights seems a bit oversensitive.  I guess the module still
worked, but having it cut out abruptly at night for a second is enough to
make your heart stop for a second as well.  I believe I still have a set of
regular points hanging around in the car in case it ever dies on me
completely.

I found a new voltage regulator locally in stock in one (and only one) local
auto zone.  Most of the rest of the stores did not perform the parts lookup
correctly online or even in the store there were alot of suggestions that
weren't even close (used a 64 v8 falcon as my target vehicle).  While
looking at it and where it needed to go, I was thinking that the screw
nearest the firewall was going to be a real pain and thought I would notch
the voltage regulator so I didn't have to take the screw all the way out
next time. Taking the old one out, and guess what the previous owner had
thought the same thing and that old one was notched and much easier to slide
out.

Put the voltage regulator on the car, and followed the instructions to
ensure polarization of the generator (field wire off and touch to bat
terminal I believe, which is ford specific) and then fired the car up, and
it charges great and the headlight no longer bring it into discharge, and
the car no longer misses.

So glad it was such a simple fix, but I think this is the first time I have
seen a regulator that 'sort of' worked, I've always had them fail completely
when they fail.

Thanks,
Steve

[email-masked]