Subject: [Tigers] Bad Fuel Pump?

From: Tod Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:26:39 -0400

Hello All:

Yesterday, Dexter Polistock and I took our Tigers to a small foreign car 
show on the village green in Camden, Maine. Camden is somewhat famous as 
the setting for the scandalous fifties movie, Peyton Place and is a 
lovely little village with a beautiful harbor on Penobscot Bay. On the 
way back to my home (about 15 miles), I had just made the turn off US 
Route 1 and was about a mile from home when my Tiger coughed once or 
twice and died. I pulled over and tried to restart without success. 
Further investigation revealed there was no gas in the carb and the fuel 
pump was not making its usual ticking noise. We wiggled the wires and 
gave the pump a couple of whacks without success. Pretty clearly it 
seemed, the fuel pump had given up the ghost. Eventually, we got the 
Tiger home to the garage thanks to Triple A. A couple of hours later, I 
went out to the garage and, for no particular reason, turned on the 
ignition only to be greeted with the normal clatter of the pump. Joseph 
Lucas playing with my mind, again.

The pump I have had in the car for about 30 years was a replacement for 
the SU that bit the dust way back when and has been dead reliable for 
all that time. On the pump it says "Auto Pump" and has a sticker that 
says "AP 11" and "Made in N.Z." It obviously has the traditional points 
(hence the ticking) to do the switching but was one of the new breed of 
solid state pumps that so improved the longevity (no self-respecting SU 
would have lasted 30 years, I don't think, without frying its points). 
My guess is that the heat from the exhaust finally got to it and it 
packed it in, only to recover when things cooled off. However, before I 
bite the bullet and buy a new pump from Rick, I wanted to know if there 
is any other possible explanation that I can check out before buying a 
new pump?

Also, does anyone have any info about this particular fuel pump and 
whether it can be repaired?

In talking to the folks at SS and VB, it seems that SU replacement pumps 
are currently unavailable due to the gas being used in Britain playing 
havoc with their pumps, so I'm wondering what are the alternatives? I 
have heard of some people using a pump made by Facet and was wondering 
if anyone had the model number or if there are other alternatives? Any 
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tod
B38200238XFE
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:04:00 -0400

Tod
	I just went through that last summer.  There are reports that
alcohol in the fuel will deteriorate old rubber parts.

1 - check to make sure the filter or the line to the filter is not plugged -
I had a clog near the filter

2 - set up a flow rate test for your fuel pump  - extend the line you just
checked to a big bucket and run a timed flow
When I did this the fuel flow rate was very poor and there were black specks
in the fuel - fuel pump and bellows material

If the flow rate looks good maybe you should consider a heat shield between
the muffler and the pump or move the pump to the trunk.  I think there is an
article on TigersUnited for the heat shield.

I placed my fuel pump in the trunk many years ago.  I installed a Puralator
electronic cube pump this time.  It is my understanding the this cube fuel
pump is made by Facet now.  Facet make several style pump that should work.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tod Brown
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 5:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Bad Fuel Pump?

Hello All:

Thanks,

Tod
B38200238XFE

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3343 / Virus Database: 3199/6398 - Release Date: 06/10/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]