Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ox sensor

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:03:39 -0700

Thanks.  I can't tell you how many times my dad talked about making sure I
had a bung put in any car when I was having muffler work done.  Since
that's already there, and I'm sure your description of what I have is
accurate, I'll definitely look into a wide band meter.

Thanks again,
Jay

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Dave Munroe <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Jay:
>
> That sounds like a narrow-band A/F Meter. These were the first on the
> market as useful mass-produced mixture reading tools, but they were only
> accurate in a very narrow band either side of the 14.6 air/fuel ratio. They
> are not very useful beyond indicating this ratio under different
> throttle/load parameters, and 14.6 is not the correct mixture very often.
>
> Under load and big throttle openings you want rich to very rich mixtures
> (around 12/1) for max power and at light throttle openings you want ratios
> in the lean end (around 17 or 18/1) for good fuel economy. With your meter
> you can never be sure exactly what your air/fuel mixture ratio is, other
> than 14.6 which is chemically the perfect ratio for clean burning, but not
> for all throttle openings and load situations. BUT, getting your mixture to
> 14.6 at 650 rpm should give you a klller idle, and that's a good thing.
>
> I supercharged an MGB about 10 years ago and wide band meters and sensors
> were in the stratosphere price wise, so I bought one of these narrow band
> meters. It was marginally useful, but kept me from melting pistons which I
> did regularly before I got the meter.
>
> Wide band meters are infinitely more useful and accurate over the whole
> throttle/load range, and are now less expensive than what I (and likely
> your Dad) paid for our narrow band meters back in the day. Theyalso have
> USB ports to feed your computer, which opens up a whole new world of
> mixture control to we anals, which allows seriously accurate carb and
> ignition tuning, and you can print out the results to impress fellow
> obsessive compulsives....
>
> Dave
>
>
>
>
> Sent: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:31:41 -0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls
>
>
> The ox sensor.  I haven't paid too much attention to that other than to
> note
> it is frequently in the red. It has a row of lights going from green to
> yellow
> to red. Can someone tell me under what driving conditions should it be in
> the
> color bands?  Like idle, cruising, slowly accelerating and on it?  And is
> it
> likely to be accurate or could it be wrong because of a gazillion things?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 17:00:26 -0300

Jay:

That sounds like a narrow-band A/F Meter. These were the first on the market 
as useful mass-produced mixture reading tools, but they were only accurate 
in a very narrow band either side of the 14.6 air/fuel ratio. They are not 
very useful beyond indicating this ratio under different throttle/load 
parameters, and 14.6 is not the correct mixture very often.

Wide band meters are infinitely more useful and accurate over the whole 
throttle/load range, and are now less expensive than what I (and likely your 
Dad) paid for our narrow band meters back in the day. Theyalso have USB 
ports to feed your computer, which opens up a whole new world of mixture 
control to we anals, which allows seriously accurate carb and ignition 
tuning, and you can print out the results to impress fellow obsessive 
compulsives....

Dave

[email-masked]