Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up

From: Tom Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:12:23 -0400

Robert,

What are you using for an alternator bracket?

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM, robert jaarsma <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My Tiger with a 289 needed a new water pump, so I got the one from Sunbeam
> Specialties. No surprises there. Pulley lined up perfectly with the
> balancer
> pulley.
>
> My generator was still ok, but I estimated its life would not be too much
> longer. So for a while I thought about swapping it for an alternator. It
> never really lined up perfectly. But during 20 years, never gave a problem
> either. Possibly shortened the water pumps life? .
>
> Since there was recently a discussion about alternators, I decide to take
> the plunge and make it easy on myself and I bought the Powermaster unit. My
> alternator pulley is off by >  with the water pump pulley! The way its
> pulley is mounted it has a heavy rim on the outside, which throws the
> v-groove off by maybe 1/8 . So if I turn it around, I will still be off by
> >-1/8= 5/8 . All powermaster other mounting dimensions are identical, 6
> between the ears, to straddle the original mounting arm. Now I suspect the
> original mounting bracket. 1). I could put spacer between it and the engine
> block, the bring the alternator forwards. However the dipstick doesn t give
> me much room. 2). I could bring the alternator forwards by putting the rear
> ear on the front side of the bracket and add a spacer at the front ear. But
> the alternator ear would not clear the rib of the cast Tiger mounting
> bracket. Not an elegant solution. But then, how could the original cast
> Tiger bracket be off by that much? If it was fabricated it possibly could
> bend, but not a casting. Reyer and I measured everything again tonight, but
> we can not see what s wrong. Any ideas?
>
> Just one more thing besides my electrical problem: the white wire from
> ignition switch to tach to coil resistor filled itself with Lucas smoke.
> Why?? All insulation half burned. No obvious short I could see. I am almost
> ready to take it all apart and rewire the whole car. Any body has any
> ideas?? thanks, Robert Jaarsma
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Chip Broadbooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:26:54 -0400

Tried to send this from my phone, but for some reason, it seems to be hung
up.

I used the alternator bracket CAT sells.  Lines up perfect.

The alternator bracket for a Mark II should work as well.  Obviously, they
are a bit hard to come by, and pricey when they are available.  You can
purchase an awesome reproduction one from Reisentz Restorations for $160.

http://www.reisentzrestorations.com/parts/parts.htm

Chip

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM, robert jaarsma <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
*Never fear an unknown future to a known God!*
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Chip Broadbooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:03:20 -0400

I used the alternator bracket from CAT. Lines up perfect.

www.reisentzrestorations.com has an aluminum version of the Mark II for
$160.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:30:21 -0400

I used a chrome Chevy style bracket on the upper/outer part where you adjust
the tension on the fan belt (I believe I cut down the end where it attached
the water pump for clearance).
Then I used a couple simple brackets mounted to the water pump & engine and a
couple spacers.
The previous owner of my former Tiger used an overly complex system that I
simplified as my starting point.
I think the alternator was just a pretty much standard Ford part.
Links to a PDF and a picture can be found here...
http://www.breuhan.com/sunbeam/AltBrackets.pdf
http://www.breuhan.com/sunbeam/AlternatorPic.jpg
Hope this helps a little bit.
Paul

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:05:22 -0400
> Subject: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up
>
balancer
> v-groove off by maybe 1/8. So if I turn it around, I will still be off by
> >-1/8= 5/8. All powermaster other mounting dimensions are identical, 6
> block, the bring the alternator forwards. However the dipstick doesnt give
> we can not see whats wrong. Any ideas?
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]