Subject: Re: [Tigers] Off Topic---weird too (ATF/Acetone)

From: TtT <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:06:19 -0500

I've posted previously that the best penetrating lube made is "Kroil Oil".
They make it with different additives now but just buy the standard. Without it I believe I would have never pulled my axles. Just my 2cents worth. TtT 
Sent from Huawei Mobile

Thomas Witt <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Maybe it is the Acetone we have available here in California... .  I made 
>the ATF/Acetone 50/50 mixture. I liberally applied it at least twice a day, 
>for 5 days, on bolts/nuts that I had scraped the gunk and wire brushed the 
>loose rust off.  The fasteners were still nearly impossible to get off.  And 
>the area where the nut was on the bolt - was completely dry.  There was 
>absolutely no penetration what so ever.  Not an odd bolt/nut either.  There 
>were ten bolts/nuts I was attempting to remove.  But, being a crash test 
>dummy for Murphy's Law what should I have expected.
>
>Tom 
>_______________________________________________
>
>[email-masked]
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 22:35:47 -0400

Tom
	I use straight ATF for a couple of reasons - Acetone flames when a
torch is applied - ATF usually just smokes but will flare up.  ATF seems to
be a great penetrating oil and I have a couple gallons of used ATF on hand.

If you can heat the bolts then put ATF on them it will help. I have done
this with bleeder screws and they are loose in about 5 minutes.   The heat
helps draw the ATF into the threads.

I soaked a bolt that I could not move with a 3/8 drive socket - in ATF
overnight - I removed the bolt with a 1/4 drive in the morning.  That result
got me hooked on ATF as a penetrating oil.

I believe the Acetone will help the ATF penetrate but I have had good
results with just ATF.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Thomas Witt
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 9:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Off Topic---weird too (ATF/Acetone)

Tom

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3343 / Virus Database: 3199/6398 - Release Date: 06/10/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]