Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ox sensor

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:01:01 +0000 (UTC)

Jay,
The ox sensor is probably a useful tool.  Unlike your dad, I never got around
to installing one but do
want to.  You should find the directions for the one you have.  Here is for
the Edlebrock:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/edl-6593.pdf
Gary

----- Original Message -----
From: jay laifman
To: Gary Winblad , [email-masked] Den
Sent: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:31:41 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls

I'm worried that he never knew the bowls were way off and adjusted jets to
compensate. It wouldn't be like him. But we'll see what happens when I reset
them. The problem is that one is so off that there is no way the screw
adjuster will be enough.  I'm going to have to bend it before reassembly. But
thinking about how off it is, I'm also going to make sure it doesn't have any
holes in it.

Also, I'm used to Webers where the jets are easy to swap (and float level is
critical).  I'm thinking the Holley is not so easy and he would have had to
see the floats anyway to change the jets.

The ox sensor.  I haven't paid too much attention to that other than to note
it is frequently in the red. It has a row of lights going from green to yellow
to red. Can someone tell me under what driving conditions should it be in the
color bands?  Like idle, cruising, slowly accelerating and on it?  And is it
likely to be accurate or could it be wrong because of a gazillion things?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom:  Gary Winblad
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:05:26 +0000 (UTC)To: [email-masked] DenCc:
Jay LaifmanSubject: Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls
Also,
The "rebuild" level is probably a low level just to get you going.  The
instructions are
to always set the level wet after installation.
Float level has a minor(?) influence on mixture.  Your dad may have tweaked it
based
on his ox sensor readings?
Gary
    ----- Original Message -----  From: Theo Smit   To: Jay Laifman ,
[email-masked] Den   Sent: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:28:46 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls    Too-high floats are
usually more trouble than too-low floats because you can  get unintended
flooding during hard cornering or braking. If your needle and  seat size is
marginal (or if the fuel pump/fuel line flow capacity is not that  good) then
having the floats low can cause starvation on sustained  full-throttle due to
insufficient fuel volume in the carb. I'm not familiar  with the float setting
procedure on the Holley carbs, but I'm sure there are  specific tweaks that
can be done, depending on the float bowl style, to  alleviate the common
driving concerns.    On many Weber carbs, you had to be a bit careful because
the float high limit  was set by flipping the assembly upside down, and this
would sometimes lead  people to adjusting the things in the wrong direction.
Cheers,  Theo    > -----Original Message-----  > From:
[email-masked] [mailto:tigers-  > [email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Jay Laifman  > Sent: June 11, 2013 11:01 PM  > To:
[email-masked] Den  > Subject: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls  >
> Also, is there some reason my dad might have had the floats really  > high?
The rear one was a little high from the "parallel to the ground"  > that the
Holley instructions suggest.  But the front one was really  > high - almost to
the top.  >    ________________________________    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email and any attachments are for the sole use of  the intended
recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential  and/or legally
privileged. If you have received this email in error, please  notify the
sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,  copying,
distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by  someone
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________    [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]