Subject: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up

From: Joel Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:49:22 -0700 (PDT)

Robert
 
I too bought the 
Alternator, PowerGEN, Internal Regulator, 90 Amp,
12 Volt, Black Powdercoated only too find that the ' rear' of the unit was
1/4" WIDER and with the stock MK 1A bracket and adjuster, it hit the fender -
I\we tried all sorts of different spacers etc, slightly shorter fan belt and
just could not get it to work.  I had already had the original bracket Tig
welded to fix 2 cracks so I did not want to go bracket hunting or making.
 
This was too bad, the unit is a spitting image of the original generator and
kept the original look but being a alternator.  I even thought of grinding
down the rear to get it to fit, but not much adjustment either way.
 
Regards
Joel Martin
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:52:40 +0000

Guys, the issue is Robert bought one of the Powermaster PowerGEN alternators
that are supposed to be a drop-in replacement for the existing generator. I
have installed two of these without an issue but that was at least four years
ago since the last and the design may have changed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-82101/overview/make/ford

Robert, I suggest you look at modifying your pulley position on the
alternator, not messing with your bracket. Powermaster has other pulleys
available or ask them they may have another option.

Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ron Fraser
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 11:15 AM
To: 'Chip Broadbooks'; 'robert jaarsma'
Cc: 'LIST TIGER'
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up

Chip is correct Reisentz Restorations, Sunbeam Specialties and CAT have an
Alternator bracket.  The only alternative is to design your own and
fabricate one.   I used plywood, it took about 3 iteration to position the
alternator to my satisfaction.  I then fabricate the bracket out of steel and
welded it together.

	The problem is when you are not using Stock style parts; the position of
everything must be checked.  Different parts can have slightly different
offsets or the mounting posts are in a slightly different position.  These
tolerances can add up against you or they can work in your favor.  The point
is to check them.

	I like to use the laser pointer on my infrared thermometer.  I line it up in
the bottom of the generator or alternator pulley groove then rotate it
carefully to point at the water pump groove or the crank pulley.  A laser with
a pulley groove profile mount would be even better.

Ron Fraser

[email-masked]

---

From: David or Gary Franchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:35:02 GMT FILETIME=[5945A6C0:01CE7447]

Robert, It is posible you don't have the special Tiger bracket, since you said it never lined up originally.

I have this saved from an old post on the diffrence between a Tiger Generator bracket and a Ford bracket. 
I took a few photos comparing them. This Tiger bracket is only marked with a Triangle with a "C"or "O" inside and a "1" next to it. The Tiger bracket offset is about 11/16" closer to the head and it is shaped a little differently. 

David Franchi

Misc. bracket pictures, Tiger is always on the left.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477547.jpg 
--

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477548.jpg 
--

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477549.jpg 
--

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477550.jpg 
--

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477551.jpg 
--

Tiger and Ford markings.
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477552.jpg 
--

Tiger marking close-up.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477553.jpg
--

-----Original Message-----
From: robert jaarsma
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 5:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up

My Tiger with a 289 needed a new water pump, so I got the one from Sunbeam
Specialties. No surprises there. Pulley lined up perfectly with the balancer
pulley.

My generator was still ok, but I estimated its life would not be too much
longer. So for a while I thought about swapping it for an alternator. It
never really lined up perfectly. But during 20 years, never gave a problem
either. Possibly shortened the water pumps life? .

Since there was recently a discussion about alternators, I decide to take
the plunge and make it easy on myself and I bought the Powermaster unit. My
alternator pulley is off by > with the water pump pulley! The way its
pulley is mounted it has a heavy rim on the outside, which throws the
v-groove off by maybe 1/8. So if I turn it around, I will still be off by
>-1/8= 5/8. All powermaster other mounting dimensions are identical, 6
between the ears, to straddle the original mounting arm. Now I suspect the
original mounting bracket. 1). I could put spacer between it and the engine
block, the bring the alternator forwards. However the dipstick doesnt give
me much room. 2). I could bring the alternator forwards by putting the rear
ear on the front side of the bracket and add a spacer at the front ear. But
the alternator ear would not clear the rib of the cast Tiger mounting
bracket. Not an elegant solution. But then, how could the original cast
Tiger bracket be off by that much? If it was fabricated it possibly could
bend, but not a casting. Reyer and I measured everything again tonight, but
we can not see whats wrong. Any ideas?

Just one more thing besides my electrical problem: the white wire from
ignition switch to tach to coil resistor filled itself with Lucas smoke.
Why?? All insulation half burned. No obvious short I could see. I am almost
ready to take it all apart and rewire the whole car. Any body has any
ideas?? thanks, Robert Jaarsma
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:59:38 +0000 (UTC)

A Ford bracket instead of a Tiger bracket is a pretty large mis-alignment.

The Tiger generator pulley is also different from the normal Ford one.
The wrong pulley causes a small mis-alignment.
The Tiger pulley can be identified by placing a dime(US 10cent coin) on the
section between
the fan and the beginning of the V groove.  A common Ford pulley has less
than the dime's distance.

Gary

    ----- Original Message -----  From: David or Gary Franchi
<[email-masked]>  To: robert jaarsma <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked]  Sent: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:35:02 -0000 (UTC)  Subject:
Re: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up    Robert, It is posible you don't have the
special Tiger bracket, since you said it never lined up originally.    I have
this saved from an old post on the diffrence between a Tiger Generator bracket
and a Ford bracket.   I took a few photos comparing them. This Tiger bracket
is only marked with a Triangle with a "C"or "O" inside and a "1" next to it.
The Tiger bracket offset is about 11/16" closer to the head and it is shaped a
little differently.     David Franchi    Misc. bracket pictures, Tiger is
always on the left.
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477547.jpg   --
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477548.jpg   --
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477549.jpg   --
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477550.jpg   --
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477551.jpg   --
Tiger and Ford markings.
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477552.jpg   --
Tiger marking close-up.
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477553.jpg  --
-----Original Message-----  From: robert jaarsma  Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013
5:05 AM  To: [email-masked]  Subject: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up    My
Tiger with a 289 needed a new water pump, so I got the one from Sunbeam
Specialties. No surprises there. Pulley lined up perfectly with the balancer
pulley.    My generator was still ok, but I estimated its life would not be
too much  longer. So for a while I thought about swapping it for an
alternator. It  never really lined up perfectly. But during 20 years, never
gave a problem  either. Possibly shortened the water pumps life? .    Since
there was recently a discussion about alternators, I decide to take  the
plunge and make it easy on myself and I bought the Powermaster unit. My
alternator pulley is off by > with the water pump pulley! The way its  pulley
is mounted it has a heavy rim on the outside, which throws the  v-groove off
by maybe 1/8. So if I turn it around, I will still be off by  >-1/8= 5/8. All
powermaster other mounting dimensions are identical, 6  between the ears, to
straddle the original mounting arm. Now I suspect the  original mounting
bracket. 1). I could put spacer between it and the engine  block, the bring
the alternator forwards. However the dipstick doesnt give  me much room. 2). I
could bring the alternator forwards by putting the rear  ear on the front side
of the bracket and add a spacer at the front ear. But  the alternator ear
would not clear the rib of the cast Tiger mounting  bracket. Not an elegant
solution. But then, how could the original cast  Tiger bracket be off by that
much? If it was fabricated it possibly could  bend, but not a casting. Reyer
and I measured everything again tonight, but  we can not see whats wrong. Any
ideas?    Just one more thing besides my electrical problem: the white wire
from  ignition switch to tach to coil resistor filled itself with Lucas smoke.
Why?? All insulation half burned. No obvious short I could see. I am almost
ready to take it all apart and rewire the whole car. Any body has any  ideas??
thanks, Robert Jaarsma  _______________________________________________
[email-masked]    Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html  Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________    [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]