Subject: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 16:38:40 -0400

Tiger Trivia and facts plus I'm just curious

I noticed something interesting recently.

The stock Tiger distributor vacuum hard line only has a Rootes part number;
1224812.
There is no Ford part number listed.   This leads me to believe that Rootes
either made a new line or they modified the Ford part.

My theory is Rootes modified the Ford part.  The questions are did they and
by how much?
It's not impossible that Ford modified this part for Rootes but I would
expect a Ford part number attached to the part in that case.

Anyone have a known stock original Tiger engine distributor vacuum line?

Anyone have a stock Ford distributor vacuum line; I believe the C5ZZ part is
the one available now?

Anyone who went to England and the Archive - did you see this part drawing?

I did some very rough estimates of the difference between stock Ford and
Tiger pictures and found a Max difference of 1/2" shorter for the Tiger at
the distributor end.

I'm not sure the best way to measure this.   Maybe mark the middle of the
bend and use a wire form from the nut to the mark. (?)

Unfortunately I can not find where I squirreled away the hard line I did
have on my Tiger so I can't measure it.   I'll have to look deeper.

Ron Fraser
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:58:24 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Ron, 

I measured it at exactly 25 inches. I used a piece of solid core electrical wire, molded to the vacuum line and periodically taped to it to hold in place, then detached it, straightened it, and measured. Hope that helps. (Pic upon request!) 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:38:40 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line 

Ron Fraser 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:18:25 -0400

Gene
    Any information helps.

You measured the full length of the vacuum line, correct and this was an
original Tiger part. (?)

My theory is that Rooted took up to 1/2" off the tube length at the
distributor.  This would pull the line back from the radiator hose.

Thanks
Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line

Hi Ron,

I measured it at exactly 25 inches.  I used a piece of solid core electrical
wire, molded to the vacuum line and periodically taped to it to hold in
place, then detached it,  straightened it, and measured.  Hope that helps.
(Pic upon request!)

Gene

  _____

Ron Fraser

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3204/6447 - Release Date: 06/28/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 23:43:31 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Ron, 

Yes, full length measured absolute tip to tip. Original line, off the car and retrieved from storage shelf for measurement. 

BTW, any idea where one can get a fitting for the end that goes into the canister on the original distributor? Pretty unique sealing tip on it. I did not not want to cut it off the original line. I had my distributor rebuilt and figured out a way to use a part of a compression coupler and a hand bent short piece of same sized line to make a 90 degree elbow to hook up a vacuum flexible line to my new carb. So I am good to go with what I have, but have always been curious about that orginal line- to- distributor hard line fitting. 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:18:25 PM 
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line 

Message 
Gene 
Any information helps. 

You measured the full length of the vacuum line, correct and this was an original Tiger part. (?) 

My theory is that Rooted took up to 1/2" off the tube length at the distributor. This would pull the line back from the radiator hose. 

Thanks 
Ron 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:58 PM 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line 

Hi Ron, 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:38:40 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line 

Ron Fraser 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:32:07 -0400 (EDT)

If a guy was to go into his wife's sewing box he would find a cloth  
measuring tape that makes measuring odd shapes a snap:-)
Mark L

In a message dated 6/30/2013 7:19:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Gene
Any information helps.

Thanks
Ron

-----Original Message-----
From:  [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, June  30, 2013 6:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc:  [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum  line

Hi Ron,

I measured it at exactly 25 inches.  I  used a piece of solid core 
electrical
wire, molded to the vacuum line and  periodically taped to it to hold in
place, then detached it,   straightened it, and measured.  Hope that helps.
(Pic upon  request!)

Gene

_____

Anyone have a  stock Ford distributor vacuum line; I believe the C5ZZ part 
is
the one  available now?

Ron  Fraser

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 00:44:51 +0000 (UTC)

I tried to do it first using 1/2 inch wide masking tape to follow the twists and turns, much like a cloth measuring tape with the further advantage of adhesive to hold it in place. With all the twists, turns and bends in this line, I assure you the ability to form the wire to the line, periodically taping it in place worked much better, with no slippage from the starting end. 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked], [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:32:07 PM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line 

If a guy was to go into his wife's sewing box he would find a cloth measuring tape that makes measuring odd shapes a snap:-) 
Mark L 

In a message dated 6/30/2013 7:19:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email-masked] writes: 

Gene 
Any information helps. 

Thanks 
Ron 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 6:58 PM 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line 

Hi Ron, 

Gene 

_____ 

Ron Fraser 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 21:37:24 -0400

Thank Gene
 
    I was looking at the end fittings.  I could not find the Ford part
number but I did find a description.
Maybe someone on the List knows the Ford part number for this fitting.
 
The fitting are a Brass Fitting - Threaded Sleeve - Nut.
 
I have an OLD Weatherhead catalog - 3/16 tube - threaded sleeve nut -
6100X3.
 
A quick Google search will give you several sources - I saw one that showed
$.90 per part and I'm sure there are better prices.
 
I have a Parts + shop in my area that I think has those but not sure.  They
had the 5/16 fuel line to carb fitting so I think they might carry the nut
too.
 
Hopefully someone local has them so you don't have to pay huge shipping
costs.
 
Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line

Hi Ron, 

Yes, full length measured absolute tip to tip.  Original line, off the car
and retrieved from storage shelf for measurement.

BTW, any idea where one can get a fitting for the end that goes into the
canister on the original distributor?  Pretty unique sealing tip on it.  I
did not not want to cut it off the original line.  I had my distributor
rebuilt and figured out a way to use a part of a compression coupler and a
hand bent short piece of same sized line to make a 90 degree elbow to hook
up a vacuum flexible line to my new carb.  So I am good to go with what I
have, but have always been curious about that orginal line- to- distributor
hard line fitting.

Gene 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 02:12:55 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Ron, 

Thanks very much. I greatly appreciate the info. I had given up on find these! 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:37:24 PM 
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line 

Message 
Thank Gene 

I was looking at the end fittings. I could not find the Ford part number but I did find a description. 
Maybe someone on the List knows the Ford part number for this fitting. 

I have an OLD Weatherhead catalog - 3/16 tube - threaded sleeve nut - 6100X3. 

A quick Google search will give you several sources - I saw one that showed $.90 per part and I'm sure there are better prices. 

I have a Parts + shop in my area that I think has those but not sure. They had the 5/16 fuel line to carb fitting so I think they might carry the nut too. 

Hopefully someone local has them so you don't have to pay huge shipping costs. 

Ron Fraser 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:44 PM 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line 

Hi Ron, 

Gene 

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 03:13:03 +0000 (UTC)

Gene.
On the original distributor, the entire fitting you need just unscrews.
At least in about 1992 when I did my rebuild, I was able to get a new diaphram
that allowed
it to screw in.  When you unscrew it, inside is a 'slug' that allows you to
limit the vacuum
advance.. was definitely needed too.
Gary

    ----- Original Message -----  From: [email-masked]  To:
[email-masked]  Cc: [email-masked]  Sent: Mon, 01 Jul 2013
02:12:55 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line    Hi Ron,
Thanks very much. I greatly appreciate the info. I had given up on find these!
Gene     ----- Original Message -----  From: "Ron Fraser"    To:
[email-masked]   Cc: [email-masked]   Sent: Sunday, June 30,
2013 8:37:24 PM   Subject: RE: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line     Message
Thank Gene     I was looking at the end fittings. I could not find the Ford
part number but I did find a description.   Maybe someone on the List knows
the Ford part number for this fitting.     The fitting are a Brass Fitting -
Threaded Sleeve - Nut.     I have an OLD Weatherhead catalog - 3/16 tube -
threaded sleeve nut - 6100X3.     A quick Google search will give you several
sources - I saw one that showed $.90 per part and I'm sure there are better
prices.     I have a Parts + shop in my area that I think has those but not
sure. They had the 5/16 fuel line to carb fitting so I think they might carry
the nut too.     Hopefully someone local has them so you don't have to pay
huge shipping costs.     Ron Fraser         -----Original Message-----   From:
[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]   Sent: Sunday, June
30, 2013 7:44 PM   To: [email-masked]   Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line       Hi Ron,       Yes, full
length measured absolute tip to tip. Original line, off the car and retrieved
from storage shelf for measurement.       BTW, any idea where one can get a
fitting for the end that goes into the canister on the original distributor?
Pretty unique sealing tip on it. I did not not want to cut it off the original
line. I had my distributor rebuilt and figured out a way to use a part of a
compression coupler and a hand bent short piece of same sized line to make a
90 degree elbow to hook up a vacuum flexible line to my new carb. So I am good
to go with what I have, but have always been curious about that orginal line-
to- distributor hard line fitting.       Gene
_______________________________________________    [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 03:15:29 +0000 (UTC)

Oops.. disregard that last post..
you want to adapt to rubber line.... sorry.
Gary
    ----- Original Message -----  From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]  Cc: [email-masked]  Sent: Mon, 01 Jul 2013
03:13:03 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line    Gene.
On the original distributor, the entire fitting you need just unscrews.  At
least in about 1992 when I did my rebuild, I was able to get a new diaphram
that allowed  it to screw in.  When you unscrew it, inside is a 'slug' that
allows you to  limit the vacuum  advance.. was definitely needed too.  Gary
----- Original Message -----  From: [email-masked]  To:
[email-masked]  Cc: [email-masked]  Sent: Mon, 01 Jul 2013
02:12:55 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line    Hi Ron,
Thanks very much. I greatly appreciate the info. I had given up on find these!
Gene     ----- Original Message -----  From: "Ron Fraser"    To:
[email-masked]   Cc: [email-masked]   Sent: Sunday, June 30,
2013 8:37:24 PM   Subject: RE: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line     Message
Thank Gene     I was looking at the end fittings. I could not find the Ford
part number but I did find a description.   Maybe someone on the List knows
the Ford part number for this fitting.     The fitting are a Brass Fitting -
Threaded Sleeve - Nut.     I have an OLD Weatherhead catalog - 3/16 tube -
threaded sleeve nut - 6100X3.     A quick Google search will give you several
sources - I saw one that showed $.90 per part and I'm sure there are better
prices.     I have a Parts + shop in my area that I think has those but not
sure. They had the 5/16 fuel line to carb fitting so I think they might carry
the nut too.     Hopefully someone local has them so you don't have to pay
huge shipping costs.     Ron Fraser         -----Original Message-----   From:
[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]   Sent: Sunday, June
30, 2013 7:44 PM   To: [email-masked]   Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor vacuum line       Hi Ron,       Yes, full
length measured absolute tip to tip. Original line, off the car and retrieved
from storage shelf for measurement.       BTW, any idea where one can get a
fitting for the end that goes into the canister on the original distributor?
Pretty unique sealing tip on it. I did not not want to cut it off the original
line. I had my distributor rebuilt and figured out a way to use a part of a
compression coupler and a hand bent short piece of same sized line to make a
90 degree elbow to hook up a vacuum flexible line to my new carb. So I am good
to go with what I have, but have always been curious about that orginal line-
to- distributor hard line fitting.       Gene
_______________________________________________    [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________    [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]