Subject: [Tigers] Odd advice from Edlebrock

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:56:03 -0700

While I'm on the subject, I thought I'd mention what the tech guy at Edlebrock
told me.  I determined that the narrow band air/gas meter on my car is an
Edlebrock.  I called them to ask about how well it worked, and how to best
read it. I told him that it reads mostly with all 4 green lights on, sometimes
flickering the first of two yellow lights.  That means it is running on the
rich side at 13:1+.  He said that it would be better if I was only lighting
two of the green lights.  He suggested that rather than first trying to change
jets in the carb, I try advancing the timing by 2 degrees.

That sure sounded odd to me.  Sure, perhaps timing could lean the car a
little.  But, if I'm already at max advance based upon the risk of pinging,
which he would have no idea, doesn't that create greater issues to push the
advance up?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:20:34 -0400

Probably the biggest problem with any O2 sensor is knowing what the
actual voltage it is generating and what voltage the lights are triggered.
The next problem could be has the O2 sensor aged and changed Vout, have
components of the light bar changed and they trigger at a different Vin.
You almost have to certify the system every few year to understand the
readings.  You also have to know what these voltages really mean.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Smit, Theo
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:44 PM
To: Jay Laifman; [email-masked] Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Odd advice from Edlebrock

Hi Jay,
If you're reading rich, then you're using up all the available oxygen by the
time the fuel/air charge hits the O2 sensor, and there is in fact some
unburnt fuel left. I can't see how getting the combustion going earlier
would help that.

Earlier combustion would give you lower exhaust temperatures, but I'm not
sure how that would help your O2 readings either.

I'm using a PLX wideband O2 sensor... you get much more direct information
than what the earlier narrowband O2 sensors will give you, and they're not
that expensive anymore. I have my gauge stuck where the ammeter usually goes
so it's easily readable, with some silver tape wrapped around the bezel to
dress it up ;)

Theo

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be
confidential and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this communication (including
attachments) by someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
Thank you. _______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3199/6426 - Release Date: 06/20/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]