Subject: Re: [Tigers] Off Topic---weird tool

From: Owain Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:06:07 -0400

I have one of those too.  1-1/4".  Might have been either a hub  nut, a
balancer bolt, or an oil filter housing.  Don't remember exactly why I
bought it.  I seem to remember hub nut for a jaguar IRS might be that size?

On Monday, June 10, 2013, Alvin Johnson wrote:

> I just bought a set of well-used tools off Craig's list for my son.
> While checking them out, I noticed a virtually new, humungous 32mm socket.
> I suspect this was a one-use unique item for a particular need on a
> particular
> car---any ideas?
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:05:44 -0400

They are pretty common for axle nuts on Hondas

Michael Shortt
Savannah, GA

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Alvin Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
www.michaelshortt.com
[email-masked]
912-232-9390

This email is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy
Act, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you
have received this message in error, then delete it.  Thank you
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:07:37 -0700

I use a socket that size to torque my original Tiger air clean down to 450 
Ft. Lb's so no one steals it. Seriously though, as others have said, axle 
nuts. Perticularly for front wheel drive cars.  Did it come with the 
appropriately sized breaker bar?  Some of those nuts require a force beyond 
human capability.
Tom 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:16:57 +0000

That would be for the Tiger's rear axle nuts. 125 or 150 foot-pounds torque
spec IIRC... you definitely need the big breaker bar to go along with that
socket.

Theo

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tigers-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Owain Lloyd
> Sent: June 10, 2013 2:06 PM
> To: Alvin Johnson
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Tigers] Off Topic---weird tool
>

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:22:16 -0700

I have had to use a similar breaker bar and 5' long pipe extention for
VW/Porsche rear axles, which are 36 mm.  I once broke the breaker bar
before I broke free the nut.  And this was a particularly massive breaker
bar - I guess not massive enough.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Smit, Theo <[email-masked]>wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:23:37 -0400

I've got sockets that go up over two inches or so (heavy equipment) - 
what's so weird?  Was it 1/2" drive or something?

Chris
B382000331

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:29:29 +0000

Not particularly weird, but it's the largest fastener on the car by some
margin (I think the next largest would be 15/16") and has the highest torque
spec by about 50% over any other nut or bolt on the car, which means that a
lot of people have nothing in their toolbox that will come close to either
fitting or being able to torque or untorque that nut. Not that that matters,
either... nobody in their right mind plays with the rear axle nuts on the
Tiger.

Theo

> From: Chris Thompson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: June 10, 2013 3:24 PM
> To: Smit, Theo
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> > That would be for the Tiger's rear axle nuts. 125 or 150 foot-pounds
> > torque spec IIRC... you definitely need the big breaker bar to go
> > along with that socket.
> >
> > Theo
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:29:43 -0400

Best recipe for a solution to loosen stuck bolts is 50% benzene and 50% ATF,
it is quite volatile, just make as much as you need, you can't or shouldn't
keep it stored.

Michael Shortt

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Chris Thompson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> torque
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/tigers/michael@**
> michaelshortt.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]>
>
>
>

-- 

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
www.michaelshortt.com

[email-masked]

---

From: Marc James Small <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:58:16 -0400

At 04:09 PM 6/10/2013, Ron Fraser wrote:
 >Alvin
 >       Not only do I have a 32mm socket, I also have a 36mm and a 1 5/16"
 >which is almost 38mm.
 >They are for axle nuts.

The 36mm works for the generator nut on the
air-cooled VW.  Check a fellow's tool kit.  If he
has a 36mm socket, he is a Beetle-head.

Marc

[email-masked]
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 16:28:48 -0600

> it is quite volatile, just make as much as you need, you can't or shouldn't

Or ATF and acetone, which is more readily available, usually in the 
paint section of a
well stocked hardware store.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Tony McNulty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:36:38 -0400

Acetone was the fluid tested with ATF.  I have the list if anyone cares.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mark J Bradakis" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Off Topic---weird tool

> Or ATF and acetone, which is more readily available, usually in the paint 
> section of a
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:37:48 -0700

Maybe it is the Acetone we have available here in California... .  I made 
the ATF/Acetone 50/50 mixture. I liberally applied it at least twice a day, 
for 5 days, on bolts/nuts that I had scraped the gunk and wire brushed the 
loose rust off.  The fasteners were still nearly impossible to get off.  And 
the area where the nut was on the bolt - was completely dry.  There was 
absolutely no penetration what so ever.  Not an odd bolt/nut either.  There 
were ten bolts/nuts I was attempting to remove.  But, being a crash test 
dummy for Murphy's Law what should I have expected.

Tom 

[email-masked]