Subject: [Tigers] Where to find parts, shifter...

From: "Jeff Feit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:18:20 -0400

Well, the stop-leak project is coming along nicely, getting everything
cleaned up and ready to go back in.

Any idea how to get one of the Fairmont pulleys or Maverick fans? I'm
assuming that these aren't available new so it's junkyard stuff-but the
application information is a bit fuzzy to do a good search.

How about the grommet that goes on the firewall to cover the RHD steering
column hole?

I have the shifter taken apart and am cleaning up all the parts. Has anyone
ever had the parts plated (zinc, cad, etc.)? I could easily blast and paint
them, but there are a LOT of parts that have metal-to-metal sliding contact
(with grease) so I would have to mask off quite a bit to keep everything
working right.

FYI, got the engine mounts, made by Anchor through Summit. One box says Made
is USA, one says Made in India. They look good.

Also got the thermostat housing from Scott Drake. Comparing it to the one
that I broke many years ago due to a misaligned thermostat, it looks VERY
good.

Jeff Feit

B9471573
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:32:28 -0700

Jeff,

  It took me about 10 years to find the Maverick fan in self serve wrecking 
yards..., and I go about once a month.  In self serve yards the cars start 
to show up about years 10-12 and are almost completely gone by years 20-25. 
The desired Maverick fan was from the early cars and is about 40 years old. 
Pretty much the same thing for the Volvo fan.  People have had success with 
the Derale fan.  If you are running the stock Tiger waterpump the center 
hole on the fan needs to be enlarged to 1". If you run a Volvo fan an 
approximate 1/8" bushing is needed for it's 1-1/8" hole.

Even the late 70's early 80's Fairmont's are getting very hard to find.  I 
recall a number of years ago Jere Teepen had a number of pulleys for sale. 
Maybe he will chime in or someone can put you in contact with him.
Tom 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:33:12 -0400

Jeff

Fairmont pulley - junkyard or swap meet if you can find them there
There is a guy making them out of aluminum, $120 each - Bob Woolridge -
614-452-1191 - [email-masked]

Maverick fan - junkyard or swap meet maybe
Many are using a Derale fan

Grommet - Sunbeam Specialties or Classic Sunbeam

Shifter - I'm sure some have plated them - I painted mine, I was not worried
about masking off anything - I would guess the original parts were not
masked, just don't paint heavy in those areas, the parts will wear the paint
as needed.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jeff Feit
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Where to find parts, shifter...

Jeff Feit

B9471573

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3199/6410 - Release Date: 06/14/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:40:17 -0400

Tom
	You have to be careful when you say enlarge the center hole on the
fan.  You can do this on most stock Ford fans but on many after market fans
the mount holes are slotted; you don't want to open the center hole into the
slotted holes.  You have to turn the fan hub around and possibly mill it to
get the correct distance and fan location.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Thomas Witt
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Where to find parts, shifter...

Jeff,

Even the late 70's early 80's Fairmont's are getting very hard to find.  I
recall a number of years ago Jere Teepen had a number of pulleys for sale.
Maybe he will chime in or someone can put you in contact with him. Tom
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:57:55 -0400 (EDT)

I found the pulley through a google search of "Used Ford  Parts".  Came 
from a scrap yard in Texas.  The owner told me they were  getting scarce 
because they were never considered  important and were being  junked over the 
years. 
Mark L

In a message dated 6/16/2013 7:33:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Jeff

Shifter - I'm sure some have  plated them - I painted mine, I was not 
worried
about masking off anything  - I would guess the original parts were not
masked, just don't paint heavy  in those areas, the parts will wear the 
paint
as needed.

Ron  Fraser

-----Original Message-----

FYI, got the  engine mounts, made by Anchor through Summit. One box says 
Made
is USA, one  says Made in India. They look good.

Jeff  Feit

B9471573

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 00:03:33 -0400

Chip
	Never believe the temp gage until you check it with your infrared
thermometer or by other means.  My temp gage reads a little low and I know
others that read a bit high.  Once you know what the temp is you can have
some peace of mind.  You either live with the gage or you look at
calibrating the temp gage.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Chip Broadbooks
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 9:20 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Where to find parts, shifter...

I just dropped  a 14" Flex-A-Light off last week at a machine shop to get
the 1" pilot hole. They told me they would hone it out to 1". I, personally,
thought I could do it myself with a drill. I wasn't too far off on my
effort. About 1/8". I remember all of the forces of a rotating mass from my
engineering classes and tossed that fan, bought another, and am paying the
money. All I need is to destroy the bearings in the water pump and
potentially crack my timing cover. I know the mass wasn't that great, but I
am not taking the chance.

I ordered the fan from Amazon. It was much cheaper than Summit. I will get
the fan back tomorrow from the machine shop.

I bought a pulley from Bob Woolridge. Everything is on my car except the
fan. Still running the stock one until the other one is ready.

She still seems to be a not so cool Cat. I have no idea where my kid put my
infrared thermometer. I know the gauge is off by 10 to 20 degrees. It stays
reading at 200 while cruising. Kinda scared to let her idle for too long.
She might cough up a hairball on the garage floor.

Chip

[email-masked]