Subject: [Tigers] To rebuild, or not rebuild, the Holley

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:01:56 -0700

I received the rebuild kit from Holley today.  The only reason I ordered
the kit was because of leaking fuel.  I have no indication that there is
anything else wrong with it.  In looking at the kit, I'm trying to decide
if I just replace the bowl gasket and accelerator pump. Or if I should
really tear it down for everything in the kit.

My dad would often say not to fix what is not broken.  But, then since it
started leaking on the outside, I'm not exactly sure how many of the o
rings on the inside may be having trouble.

The bummer is that it was not leaking on the back fuel bowl for the
secondary.  But, in removing the cover, the gasket stuck to much of it.
Somewhere I have a can of something called gasket remover.  I just can't
find it.  I might run by Pep Boys on the way home and see if I can find it.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 00:06:52 +0000 (UTC)

Jay,
I would have to agree with your dad on this one.
I have Holley leaks every year or two.  Tightening the fuel bowl screws about
a quarter turn is
usually all it needs.  Rebuilding can be a nightmare.  At least the first time
I took apart my
600 (list 1850?) the fuel bowls were somehow glued on with some black stuff..
could have
been the DPO or I think I did hear Holley tried that to stop the leaks...  I
worked half a weekend
as I recall and ruined a perfectly good little screwdriver scrappin it..
Now if it is running bad, like tooo rich,  the accelerator pump or the
enrichment valve (I can't
recall now...) gets easily blown with a backfire... IF its running good,
tighten the screws
and see if that won't fix it..
Good luck!
Gary
    ----- Original Message -----  From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
To: Tiger's Den <[email-masked]>  Sent: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 22:01:56 -0000
(UTC)  Subject: [Tigers] To rebuild, or not rebuild, the Holley    I received
the rebuild kit from Holley today.  The only reason I ordered  the kit was
because of leaking fuel.  I have no indication that there is  anything else
wrong with it.  In looking at the kit, I'm trying to decide  if I just replace
the bowl gasket and accelerator pump. Or if I should  really tear it down for
everything in the kit.    My dad would often say not to fix what is not
broken.  But, then since it  started leaking on the outside, I'm not exactly
sure how many of the o  rings on the inside may be having trouble.    The
bummer is that it was not leaking on the back fuel bowl for the  secondary.
But, in removing the cover, the gasket stuck to much of it.  Somewhere I have
a can of something called gasket remover.  I just can't  find it.  I might run
by Pep Boys on the way home and see if I can find it.
_______________________________________________    [email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]