Subject: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up

From: "robert jaarsma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:05:22 -0400

My Tiger with a 289 needed a new water pump, so I got the one from Sunbeam
Specialties. No surprises there. Pulley lined up perfectly with the balancer
pulley.

My generator was still ok, but I estimated its life would not be too much
longer. So for a while I thought about swapping it for an alternator. It
never really lined up perfectly. But during 20 years, never gave a problem
either. Possibly shortened the water pumps life? .

Since there was recently a discussion about alternators, I decide to take
the plunge and make it easy on myself and I bought the Powermaster unit. My
alternator pulley is off by > with the water pump pulley! The way its
pulley is mounted it has a heavy rim on the outside, which throws the
v-groove off by maybe 1/8. So if I turn it around, I will still be off by
>-1/8= 5/8. All powermaster other mounting dimensions are identical, 6
between the ears, to straddle the original mounting arm. Now I suspect the
original mounting bracket. 1). I could put spacer between it and the engine
block, the bring the alternator forwards. However the dipstick doesnt give
me much room. 2). I could bring the alternator forwards by putting the rear
ear on the front side of the bracket and add a spacer at the front ear. But
the alternator ear would not clear the rib of the cast Tiger mounting
bracket. Not an elegant solution. But then, how could the original cast
Tiger bracket be off by that much? If it was fabricated it possibly could
bend, but not a casting. Reyer and I measured everything again tonight, but
we can not see whats wrong. Any ideas?

Just one more thing besides my electrical problem: the white wire from
ignition switch to tach to coil resistor filled itself with Lucas smoke.
Why?? All insulation half burned. No obvious short I could see. I am almost
ready to take it all apart and rewire the whole car. Any body has any
ideas?? thanks, Robert Jaarsma
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:52:46 -0400

Robert
	When I converted to an alternator system I used a 60s style
alternator and built my own bracket.  A different alternator would require
changing dimensions of that bracket to make your alternator fit and line up
correctly.

Some of the Ford alternator pulleys have a spacer on the alternator shaft.
Is this possible for your alternator?

Unfortunately you never know when Factory tolerances will stack up against
you and when you change parts it happens more often.

I believe the offset fan belts will tolerate is about 1/8" per foot of
distance.  A fan belt web site should list that information to check my
statement.  I personally prefer as little offset as possible.

I would not expect the white wire to smoke unless the ballast resistor
shorted to ground but you also need to check the white/blue wire for a
problem.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of robert jaarsma
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 8:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:15:14 -0400

Chip is correct Reisentz Restorations, Sunbeam Specialties and CAT have an
Alternator bracket.  The only alternative is to design your own and
fabricate one.   I used plywood, it took about 3 iteration to position the
alternator to my satisfaction.  I then fabricate the bracket out of steel
and welded it together.

	The problem is when you are not using Stock style parts; the
position of everything must be checked.  Different parts can have slightly
different offsets or the mounting posts are in a slightly different
position.  These tolerances can add up against you or they can work in your
favor.  The point is to check them.

	I like to use the laser pointer on my infrared thermometer.  I line
it up in the bottom of the generator or alternator pulley groove then rotate
it carefully to point at the water pump groove or the crank pulley.  A laser
with a pulley groove profile mount would be even better.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Chip Broadbooks
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 10:27 AM
To: robert jaarsma
Cc: LIST TIGER
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up

Tried to send this from my phone, but for some reason, it seems to be hung
up.

I used the alternator bracket CAT sells.  Lines up perfect.

The alternator bracket for a Mark II should work as well.  Obviously, they
are a bit hard to come by, and pricey when they are available.  You can
purchase an awesome reproduction one from Reisentz Restorations for $160.

http://www.reisentzrestorations.com/parts/parts.htm

Chip

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM, robert jaarsma <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My Tiger with a 289 needed a new water pump, so I got the one from
> Sunbeam Specialties. No surprises there. Pulley lined up perfectly
> with the balancer pulley.
>
> My generator was still ok, but I estimated its life would not be too
> much longer. So for a while I thought about swapping it for an
> alternator. It never really lined up perfectly. But during 20 years,
> never gave a problem either. Possibly shortened the water pumps life?
> .
>
> Since there was recently a discussion about alternators, I decide to
> take the plunge and make it easy on myself and I bought the
> Powermaster unit. My alternator pulley is off by >  with the water
> pump pulley! The way its pulley is mounted it has a heavy rim on the
> outside, which throws the v-groove off by maybe 1/8 . So if I turn it
> around, I will still be off by
> >-1/8= 5/8 . All powermaster other mounting dimensions are identical,
> >6
> between the ears, to straddle the original mounting arm. Now I suspect
> the original mounting bracket. 1). I could put spacer between it and
> the engine block, the bring the alternator forwards. However the
> dipstick doesn t give me much room. 2). I could bring the alternator
> forwards by putting the rear ear on the front side of the bracket and
> add a spacer at the front ear. But the alternator ear would not clear
> the rib of the cast Tiger mounting bracket. Not an elegant solution.
> But then, how could the original cast Tiger bracket be off by that
> much? If it was fabricated it possibly could bend, but not a casting.
> Reyer and I measured everything again tonight, but we can not see what
> s wrong. Any ideas?
>
> ignition switch to tach to coil resistor filled itself with Lucas
> smoke. Why?? All insulation half burned. No obvious short I could see.
> I am almost ready to take it all apart and rewire the whole car. Any
> body has any ideas?? thanks, Robert Jaarsma
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
>

--
*Never fear an unknown future to a known God!*
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3204/6447 - Release Date: 06/28/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]