Subject: Re: [Tigers] Where to find parts, shifter...

From: Chip Broadbooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:19:45 -0400

I just dropped  a 14" Flex-A-Light off last week at a machine shop to get
the 1" pilot hole. They told me they would hone it out to 1". I,
personally, thought I could do it myself with a drill. I wasn't too far off
on my effort. About 1/8". I remember all of the forces of a rotating mass
from my engineering classes and tossed that fan, bought another, and am
paying the money. All I need is to destroy the bearings in the water pump
and potentially crack my timing cover. I know the mass wasn't that great,
but I am not taking the chance.

I ordered the fan from Amazon. It was much cheaper than Summit. I will get
the fan back tomorrow from the machine shop.

I bought a pulley from Bob Woolridge. Everything is on my car except the
fan. Still running the stock one until the other one is ready.

She still seems to be a not so cool Cat. I have no idea where my kid put my
infrared thermometer. I know the gauge is off by 10 to 20 degrees. It stays
reading at 200 while cruising. Kinda scared to let her idle for too long.
She might cough up a hairball on the garage floor.

Chip
Tom
        You have to be careful when you say enlarge the center hole on the
fan.  You can do this on most stock Ford fans but on many after market fans
the mount holes are slotted; you don't want to open the center hole into the
slotted holes.  You have to turn the fan hub around and possibly mill it to
get the correct distance and fan location.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Thomas Witt
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Where to find parts, shifter...

Jeff,

  It took me about 10 years to find the Maverick fan in self serve wrecking
yards..., and I go about once a month.  In self serve yards the cars start
to show up about years 10-12 and are almost completely gone by years 20-25.
The desired Maverick fan was from the early cars and is about 40 years old.
Pretty much the same thing for the Volvo fan.  People have had success with
the Derale fan.  If you are running the stock Tiger waterpump the center
hole on the fan needs to be enlarged to 1". If you run a Volvo fan an
approximate 1/8" bushing is needed for it's 1-1/8" hole.

Even the late 70's early 80's Fairmont's are getting very hard to find.  I
recall a number of years ago Jere Teepen had a number of pulleys for sale.
Maybe he will chime in or someone can put you in contact with him. Tom
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:46:09 +0000

Hi Chip and all,
The bigger hazard with modifying fan hubs is that a blade will come off and
depart radially. It will go through the hood and/or anything else in the
vicinity that is in the plane of rotation of the fan. As a safety precaution,
NEVER put your body across the plane of the fan when you're doing work under
the hood with the engine running, even if your rotating assembly is dead
stock... if something gets into the fan blades, they'll fling pieces out at
you.

For what it's worth, it's not very difficult to press a stock hub a little
further onto the pump shaft so that you can use the stock 5/8" hole to locate
your fan using an unmodified center hole and an unmodified (Fairmont) pulley.
I recall that when I last replaced the water pump I had to dress the pump ribs
slightly to provide clearance for the Fairmont pulley ID. Even if you have an
OEM Tiger pulley that's designed to locate on the 1" cast step of the
waterpump pulley flange, it might be better to make up a 5/8" to 1" spacer for
the pulley and then use a 5/8" bore fan over top of it... nobody can tell
under there.

Theo

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tigers-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chip Broadbooks
> Sent: June 16, 2013 7:20 PM
> Cc: [email-masked]
> I just dropped  a 14" Flex-A-Light off last week at a machine shop to
> get the 1" pilot hole. They told me they would hone it out to 1". I,
> personally, thought I could do it myself with a drill. I wasn't too far
> off on my effort. About 1/8". I remember all of the forces of a
> rotating mass from my engineering classes and tossed that fan, bought
> another, and am paying the money. All I need is to destroy the bearings
> in the water pump and potentially crack my timing cover. I know the
> mass wasn't that great, but I am not taking the chance.
>

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 09:26:20 -0700

Theo, I agree with what you have said.  Other than to keep a Tiger perfectly 
original I never understood why people continued to use the 1" hub.  It 
seems like Rootes/Ford just reversed the hub as a quick way of moving the 
fan and pulley away from the radiator.  But given the large desire to 
migrate to alternative fans (with 5/8" holes) the 1" hub is no longer a 
solution, but a hindrance.    As you have stated there are other, easily 
accomplished alternatives to do that.  My Tiger has a 5 bolt 289 with a" who 
knows what front cover" and I very much suspect a "generic, one size fits 
all" 5/8" water pump. While probably not optimal I do have clearance using 
the stock radiator and the yellow Volvo fan. Perhaps with thicker radiators 
it is less of an option.

Also, the other day I mentioned the need for the 1" hole if using the stock 
Tiger hub.  As Ron pointed out not every fan is a candidate for that 
modification.  Foremost in my mind at the time was the posts, and I believe 
article on Tigers United, that Steve Laifman did. He retained the stock 1" 
hub and modified the Ford Maverick fan to fit.

Tom 

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:22:11 -0400

The water pump Rick sells for the 289 engines is listed as a "cast iron
type" because it's aluminum. It came with a spacer ring to accommodate the
oversize pulley hole. You all might want to check with Rick and see if the
260 pump also comes with a spacer ring.

 I used Summit's 14" flex fan, thanks to some guidance from Paul Sheahan
and the guys at the January T.A.C. event in Florida. I had to replace the
upper radiator hose because I had cut the old one too close to accommodate
the fan blades. Haven't tested it in traffic yet, but with the high
efficiency radiator core and the horn hole fix I have high hopes.

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Thomas Witt <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Theo, I agree with what you have said.  Other than to keep a Tiger
> perfectly original I never understood why people continued to use the 1"
> hub.  It seems like Rootes/Ford just reversed the hub as a quick way of
> moving the fan and pulley away from the radiator.  But given the large
> desire to migrate to alternative fans (with 5/8" holes) the 1" hub is no
> longer a solution, but a hindrance.    As you have stated there are other,
> easily accomplished alternatives to do that.  My Tiger has a 5 bolt 289
> with a" who knows what front cover" and I very much suspect a "generic, one
> size fits all" 5/8" water pump. While probably not optimal I do have
> clearance using the stock radiator and the yellow Volvo fan. Perhaps with
> thicker radiators it is less of an option.
>
> Also, the other day I mentioned the need for the 1" hole if using the
> stock Tiger hub.  As Ron pointed out not every fan is a candidate for that
> Tom ______________________________**_________________
>
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/tigers/tkparker1941@*
> *gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]

---

From: Chip Broadbooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:40:14 -0400

I got a bit of guidance from Eric Gibeaut. He was correct as I witnessed it.

My bottom radiator hose was collapsing when my thermostat opened up. There
isn't a spring in it like there used to be to keep it from collapsing. I
went to O'Reilly and found one with a spring. I cannibalized the spring
from the hose and cut the extra length off, and installed it into my lower
hose. Took care of that issue.

Haven't blocked my horn holes yet.

Haven't gotten the flex fan installed yet. In Atlanta this week....
On Jun 18, 2013 8:22 AM, "Tom Parker" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Thomas Witt <[email-masked]
> >wrote:
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/tigers/tkparker1941@*
> > *gmail.com<
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:23:43 -0700

I would caution that using an insert spring, while a good (even necessary)
idea, can potentially cause a problem.  Years ago I had a friend who used such
on his 289 Pinto conversion. Somehow the spring worked its way up the water
pump inlet.  The hose started collapsing and his water pump was damaged when
the spring wound around the impeller.  Bending the spring end is such a way
that it abuts the thickness of the inlet (perhaps small triangles???) would be
good preventative measure.
   There isn't a spring in it like there used to be to keep it from
collapsing. I went to O'Reilly and found one with a spring. I cannibalized the
spring from the hose and cut the extra length off, and installed it into my
lower hose. Took care of that issue.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]