Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stopping Distance

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:52:40 -0700

Ah.  I thought with all the cars listed, that there was some comparison
between what the Tiger could do and other cars.

On Jun 19, 2013, at 9:47 PM, Robert D. Hogan wrote:

> Regardless of anti-lock or not, the point is what was the stopping distance
> of a Tiger's stock braking system and how much was that stopping distance
> reduced by adding a $1200+ Wilwood front braking kit?
>
> Secondarily, how does the Wilwood equipped Tiger compare in stopping
> performance to more modern vehicles if the same measurement criteria are
> applied?
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:29 AM
>
> To: Robert D. Hogan; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>
> Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stopping Distance
>
>
>
> Maybe I missed it.  But these cars all have anti lock brakes.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:55:41 -0300

Robert;

I agree with your point of view.

There is lots of good technical info regarding the science and physics of 
braking coming out of the gurus on this List. But when we upgrade the 
brakes, the benchmark should be the performance improvement of the new parts 
when compared to the original equipment, not compared to current vehicles 
with nearly 50 years of development on board.

For sure if you have the motivation and resources to get to state-of-the-art 
performance with your brakes, it id definitely possible. Lots of us on this 
list have doubled and tripled and more the performance of the rubber bands 
under the bonnet.

I have had Wilwoods on my Tiger since before the kits were available from 
Wilwood. I also have a fresh, professionally re-built original equipment 
booster installed, a new stock master cylinder and fresh rear brake pads. I 
do not have a proportioning valve. Important also to mention I have been 
using 15x5.5 front and 15x6 rear alloys with relatively sticky, 6,000 mile 
tires for some years now.

The upgraded brakes are a world of difference from the original equipment 
with skinny 13" wheels and tires, which were working as well as you could 
expect from those old cast iron lumps of callipers and the solid rotors. The 
Wilwoods provide a new sense of security, much greater response with less 
pedal pressure, and linear performance with no fade under relatively 
difficult heat stress while descending long stretches of mountainous road.

How much shorter are braking distances with this new equipment? I surely 
don't know having neither the equipment nor the experience to carry out such 
a test. But the Wilwoods do provide a seat-of-the-pants impression that the 
brakes are much improved, and the sense of security provided is well worth 
the $1200+.

IMHO.

Dave

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Robert D. Hogan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stopping Distance

[email-masked]