Subject: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion

From: Joel Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 06:35:41 -0700 (PDT)

I am wanting to convert from gernerator to alternator setup for a 289 HiPo
motor in a 66 MK 1A.  Can anyone provide part numbers, brackets to use, wiring
considerations etc in making this conversion?
 
Thanks
 
Joel Martin
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 18:33:53 +0000 (UTC)

Some questions about fitment... 

Any problems aligning pulley with the ones on the crank and water pump? Regular stock size V belt (thickness and length) work okay? 

Thanks, 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Rense (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]> 
To: "James Lindner" <[email-masked]>, "Joel Martin" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: "Tiger List Serve" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:56:21 PM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion 

That would be the PowerMaster 82101 or the 82101-2 with indicator light 
terminal. These are one-wire types so you bypass all your regulator harness. I 
go tired of generator bearings burning out (they somehow don't like 7K shift 
points) on my 289 HiPo engine and went this way to look stock. The other 
advantage is you don't have to kluge brackets onto your car. They are at 
Summit Racing, not cheap at $369 and $389 for the indicator model, but you'll 
have twice as much juice at idle as the old generator put out at WFO. 
Bugz 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
Behalf Of James Lindner 
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:55 AM 
To: Joel Martin 
Cc: Tiger List Serve 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion 

Joel 

If you are interested in an alternator that closely resembles the Ford OE 
generator, there was a discussion on this topic on the CAT Forum last week. It 
is my understanding that they fit into the existing bracket. Downside...pretty 
expensive. 

Jim 

Sent from my iPhone 

On Apr 4, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Joel Martin <[email-masked]> wrote: 

> I am wanting to convert from gernerator to alternator setup for a 289 
> HiPo motor in a 66 MK 1A. Can anyone provide part numbers, brackets 
> to use, 
wiring 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:10:26 +0000

The alternator lines up just like the stock generator, the case dimensions are
the same, comes with 3/8" belt-width pulley. I had to put on a larger diameter
pulley as these alternators are rated for 16,000 RPM maximum and if you use
the stock size crank pulley and rev over 6000 RPM you may run it too fast. You
can run tighter belt tension too, as the bearings are much more robust, and
this unit weighs about = what the generator weighs. You're paying a premium
for the convenience and the look, but it only takes a couple generator
failures to recoup the cost.

Call them if you are not sure, their tech guy is an old motorhead.

Bugz

From: Joel Martin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 2:53 PM
To: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion

Ok Mark

You have me all excited.

Looks like the generator, internal voltgage regulator. Black powder coated -
again looks like stock generator.  Indicator light for dash.

Uses existing brackets? No brackets to make or buy?

Crank and water pulley's line up?

Other than price - what is the downside?

Thanks
Joel Martin

Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion
To: "Mark Rense (GE, Appl & Light)"
Date: Thursday, April 4, 2013, 2:33 PM
Some questions about fitment...

Any problems aligning pulley with the ones on the crank and water pump?
Regular stock size V belt (thickness and length) work okay?

Thanks,

Gene
________________________________
From: "Mark Rense (GE, Appl & Light)"
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:56:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion

terminal. These are one-wire types so you bypass all your regulator harness.
I

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of James Lindner
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:55 AM
To: Joel Martin
Cc: Tiger List Serve
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion

Joel

If you are interested in an alternator that closely resembles the Ford OE
generator, there was a discussion on this topic on the CAT Forum last week.
It
is my understanding that they fit into the existing bracket.
Downside...pretty
expensive.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Joel Martin

wiring

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]