Subject: [Tigers] Optima Batteries

From: Tom Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:58:41 -0400

When I bought my Tiger, way back in the late seventies, it had already had
a hard life. Besides body damage on the passenger side there was a huge
hole in the boot floor, the result of a battery spill. It took decades
before I had the wherewithal to have the body repaired. One decision -
after the boot floor went in an Optima battery found its way onto the
battery base pad. No more spills, if I can believe the hype; gel batteries
don't do that. I've seen them mounted on the side in newer cars where space
is at a premium.

I hope I never have to find out if the battery is really "spill proof." I
can say that the Optima I have holds a charge over long periods of sitting,
and has had no problem getting the engine running and the lights on.

Tom
'67 mark 2
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:17:27 -0400 (EDT)

Any specific way to charge them if they get low?

In a message dated 4/23/2013 4:40:02 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Optima  and Interstate batteries are apples and oranges.

I've had an Optima in  my Tiger for over ten years, as well as in all my 
other classic  cars.  Not only do they not out-gas or spill causing 
corrosion, they  tolerate a deep discharge much better....

Very non-stock however, and a  good bit pricey.  But my local Advance 
Auto will match any price I  find on the interweb....

Chris
B382000331

On 4/23/2013 7:27  PM, Jay Laifman wrote:
> While I don't disagree that I've heard the  same, I've also heard that the
> quality went down for awhile there,  which may or may not have been fixed.
>
> In my experience, the  Optima batteries do weird things on the chargers.  
I
> don't know  if that means there is something already wrong with the 
battery,
> and  it's too late.  Or, if that means they have issues with the  
chargers.
>
>
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Tom Parker  <[email-masked]> 

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Gary Winblad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 00:31:26 +0000 (UTC)

Optimas may work ok in an old car like a Tiger, but..
I put one in my 1999 Corvette that always has a small drain from the
computers and stuff.  I went on vacation for 2 weeks and when I got
back not only was the Optima dead but it permanently ruined it.
I was a red top, yeah I should have bought a yellow top.. or disconnected it..
Considering it cost 2-3X what a normal battery cost, I was not impressed!
So what it you can mount it on its side, are you really going to do that?
Gary

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 00:17:27 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Optima Batteries

Chris
B382000331

I
battery,
chargers.
>
>
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Tom Parker   

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]