Subject: [Tigers] Clutch

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:10:46 -0700

I went to drive the Tiger yesterday.  The clutch pedal went to the floor.  The
clutch has always been very hard.  I bled the clutch with fresh new fluid.
And it seemed to improve a bit, and I could actually press the clutch pedal
all the way down - which I don't know if I could before because of how stiff
it was.  But now conveniently, coincidentally, or perhaps because I put in
fresh fluid, it failed.  All the fluid drained out of the system through the
slave.

I will say that when I poured in the new fluid, it was clearly of a different
density.  When I first poured it in and looked into the top of the master, I
could see that the fluids were separated into two layers.  I used Dot 3/4.  I
admittedly don't know what was in there.  I've heard that synthetic in old
hydraulics can mess up the rubber.  But, I'm not sure that I've heard it goes
the other way.  Also, they were both clear.  Neither was purple.  I thought
that synthetics are purple so you know the difference.

WIth that all said, I have two questions: (1) did I mess this up by using the
wrong fluid? (2) Given how hard the clutch pedal has always been to press,
would it be a mistake to put in a 7/5" slave?  It has a 7/8" slave now and a
5/8" master.

Thanks for any help.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]