Subject: Re: [Tigers] Spring startup

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:34:47 -0700

Fuel pump?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Jeff Holt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hey guys. Again I come to drink at the well.
>
> I live in Northern Utah and it's still pretty cold here but I pulled the
> Tiger
> out, charged the battery and fired it up. Fires up great then immediately
> quits. Fired it up and immediately quits.
>
> The starter miter gas always had a hard time disengaging after the start
> anyway, which I need to fix, (some kind of rewiring issue needed) but as I
> start it, the engine sounds great, for Agee seconds as long as I have the
> starter motor engaged. Quits immediately when it's on it's own,
>
> After a few tries, I see a steam out of a heater hose fitting.
>
> Immediately rolled it back into the garage worried about oil and coolant.
> Haven't had time to run through a check list. Would love to have some
> thoughts
> and ideas on what that check list should look like.
>
> Thanks ahead of time
> Jeff Holt
> Huntsville, UT
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Teepen, Jere" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:57:33 -0400

The starting issue sounds as though one of the wires to the ballast resistor
may have come disconnected.  As for the steam, are you sure it was steam and
not smoke from an overheated wire in the starting circuit?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Jeff Holt
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:18 AM
To: Tiger List
Subject: [Tigers] Spring startup

I live in Northern Utah and it's still pretty cold here but I pulled the Tiger
out, charged the battery and fired it up. Fires up great then immediately
quits. Fired it up and immediately quits.

Immediately rolled it back into the garage worried about oil and coolant.
Haven't had time to run through a check list. Would love to have some thoughts
and ideas on what that check list should look like.

Thanks ahead of time
Jeff Holt
Huntsville, UT

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:12:37 -0700

I often find that cars that have sat for a long time have fuel filter 
clogging issues. If the car is used often the sediment churns, but left 
sitting for a period of time it settles and solidifies. If you can confirm 
that the fuel pump is functioning then the filter is a cheap and easy 
"second guess."  Tom 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:26:45 -0700

> not smoke from an overheated wire in the starting circuit?

Guys, Jeff has a 302 crate engine with an MSD 6AL ignition.  There is no 
balast resistor that I know of, but then, I didn't wire his car.  It 
sounds like he's not getting 12 volts continous from the ignition switch 
and someone has provided the 6AL with the ignition power from the 
white/blue wire from a solenoid.  It has run in the past and this is a 
new problem, so something has changed.  He was supplied a new starter 
with integral solenoid.  I don't know if the OEM remote solenoid was 
retained or discarded.  It has to have the 12 volt primary to the 6AL, 
or it wouldn't fire at all.  I think the car needs some serious wiring help.

-- 
Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net

[email-masked]

---

From: Theo Smit <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 19:34:03 -0600

The integral solenoid on my starter draws something like 20 amps. That 
was enough to soften the insulation on the white/red wire going from the 
ignition keyswitch to the starter, and it ended up touching another wire 
and shorting to it. This is what killed my autocross at Suni V... if 
Jeff's starter is anything like mine, it should be wired using one of 
the little Bosch cube relays to keep the current draw through the 
ignition switch at reasonable levels.

I have my MSD 6AL wired with the heavy power wire going to the junction 
point that replaces the OEM remote solenoid - it's where the heavy brown 
wires terminate in the OEM wiring. The ignition switched wire (small red 
wire on the MSD) goes to the 'run' position on the keyswitch; that would 
be the white wires on the OEM color scheme.  I use the reluctor sensing 
on the MSD so the white wire is insulated and taped off; Jeff should 
check that whatever triggering scheme he's using, the other wire(s) are 
properly insulated and not shorting against anything.

Theo

On 4/17/2013 5:26 PM, Tom Hall wrote:
>
> Guys, Jeff has a 302 crate engine with an MSD 6AL ignition.  There is 
> no balast resistor that I know of, but then, I didn't wire his car.  
> It sounds like he's not getting 12 volts continous from the ignition 
> switch and someone has provided the 6AL with the ignition power from 
> the white/blue wire from a solenoid.  It has run in the past and this 
> is a new problem, so something has changed.  He was supplied a new 
> starter with integral solenoid.  I don't know if the OEM remote 
> solenoid was retained or discarded.  It has to have the 12 volt 
> primary to the 6AL, or it wouldn't fire at all.  I think the car needs 
> some serious wiring help.

[email-masked]