Subject: [Tigers] Lucas gremlins

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 19:13:55 -0400 (EDT)

Car had been running fine...got in car turned the ignition key on, heard the
familiar fuel pump sound but noticed NO red ignition light on! Starts right up
but ammeter shows no charge?? Now here is the strange part...turn the lights
on while running and the tach goes dead, lights off and tach works!!!!! Has
petronics ignition not wired with the ballast, stock generator and voltage
regulator. Any ideas before rebuilding generator. I swapped voltage regulators
with no change.

Patrick Deschner
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Theo Smit <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:27:45 -0600

Your gauges are not grounded properly. So, When the lights are off the tach
uses the lightbulb filament as its ground path. When you turn on the lights,
that 'ground' goes to 12 volts and your tach has nothing left to run on.

So check the black daisy-chain wires on all the gauges. They have to actually
tie to the chassis somewhere. Then, check all your lighting grounds... Usually
the wiring gets gradually worse as an assembly, so if something in the wiring
goes awry it's a sign that you should check everything.
The non-charging is probably not directly related to the tach behavior...
Depending on when the gen was last rebuilt, it's probably time to check it
out.

Theo

On 2013-04-28, at 5:13 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 19:47:14 -0400

Patrick
	Tap on the generator with the handle of a big screw driver or
lightly with a hammer.  If the ammeter shows charging the generator needs to
be rebuilt.  The brushes are hanging up and are probably nearly worn out.

	I had several problems with both the voltage regulator and generator
that is why I converted to an alternator system.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Lucas gremlins

Car had been running fine...got in car turned the ignition key on, heard the
familiar fuel pump sound but noticed NO red ignition light on! Starts right
up but ammeter shows no charge?? Now here is the strange part...turn the
lights on while running and the tach goes dead, lights off and tach
works!!!!! Has petronics ignition not wired with the ballast, stock
generator and voltage regulator. Any ideas before rebuilding generator. I
swapped voltage regulators with no change.

Patrick Deschner _______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2904 / Virus Database: 3162/6279 - Release Date: 04/28/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]