Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 14:10:13 +0000

The last issue of Tiger Tracks (the STOA publication) showed a new(?) bracket
by Bill Martin at the Rootes Group Depot. $500 for the bracket, IIRC.

There are a whole bunch of different ways it can be done, depending on your
willingness to scrounge parts and how neatly you want it to tuck away.
The small Denso alternators can fit a lot closer to the block than the
full-size Ford or GM alternators, but I don't think anyone has made a
standardized mount for them.

Theo

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tigers-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joel Martin
> Sent: April 4, 2013 7:36 AM
> To: Tiger List Serve
> Subject: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion
>
> I am wanting to convert from gernerator to alternator setup for a 289
> HiPo motor in a 66 MK 1A.  Can anyone provide part numbers, brackets to
> use, wiring considerations etc in making this conversion?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joel Martin
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: James Lindner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 11:54:30 -0400

Joel

If you are interested in an alternator that closely resembles the Ford OE
generator, there was a discussion on this topic on the CAT Forum last week. It
is my understanding that they fit into the existing bracket. Downside...pretty
expensive.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Joel Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I am wanting to convert from gernerator to alternator setup for a 289 HiPo
> motor in a 66 MK 1A.  Can anyone provide part numbers, brackets to use,
wiring
> considerations etc in making this conversion?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joel Martin
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 17:56:21 +0000

That would be the PowerMaster 82101 or the 82101-2 with indicator light
terminal. These are one-wire types so you bypass all your regulator harness. I
go tired of generator bearings burning out (they somehow don't like 7K shift
points) on my 289 HiPo engine and went this way to look stock. The other
advantage is you don't have to kluge brackets onto your car. They are at
Summit Racing, not cheap at $369 and $389 for the indicator model, but you'll
have twice as much juice at idle as the old generator put out at WFO.
Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of James Lindner
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:55 AM
To: Joel Martin
Cc: Tiger List Serve
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion

Joel

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Joel Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> HiPo motor in a 66 MK 1A.  Can anyone provide part numbers, brackets
> to use,
wiring

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 12:04:45 -0700

When doing a one wire installation, keep in mind that the light wire is
critical to the workings of the alternator.  It is actually pretty slick or
tricky how it works.  It goes to the charging light on the dash.  The other
wire to the light goes to keyed 12v, not ground.  When the key is turned
on, 12v goes through the light, to the coils of the alternator.  It charges
the coils and the alternator immediately charges when the engine starts
spinning.  Then, 12v goes out of the alternator to the bulb.  When the bulb
has 12v at each side, it shuts off.

I learned this the hard way after years of driving an incorrectly
wired alternator, and never understood why the engine had to get over a
certain RPM to start charging.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:18:35 +0000

Jay, You are correct if you order the alternator with the indicator (82101-2
with indicator light), the charging circuit is energized through the light. On
a true 1-wire, there is a voltage bias sensor inside the alternator that
triggers an internal switch to open or close the circuit. On these
Powermasters, the alternator will not "switch on" until the alternator begins
to rotate above a couple hundred RPM and stays on until the engine stops. When
you shut the engine off then that same switch shuts off the circuit so you
don't bleed current and drain the battery. On a 3-wire alternator, the circuit
is triggered by the ignition switch energizing the charging system through the
indicator circuit.

If you don't need a generator light and/or have a voltage gage then get the
1-wire version, simple enough for even us Mechanical Engineers to install!

Bugz

From: Jay Laifman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:05 PM
To: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)
Cc: James Lindner; Joel Martin; Tiger List Serve
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion

When doing a one wire installation, keep in mind that the light wire is
critical to the workings of the alternator.  It is actually pretty slick or
tricky how it works.  It goes to the charging light on the dash.  The other
wire to the light goes to keyed 12v, not ground.  When the key is turned on,
12v goes through the light, to the coils of the alternator.  It charges the
coils and the alternator immediately charges when the engine starts spinning.
Then, 12v goes out of the alternator to the bulb.  When the bulb has 12v at
each side, it shuts off.

I learned this the hard way after years of driving an incorrectly wired
alternator, and never understood why the engine had to get over a certain RPM
to start charging.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)
That would be the PowerMaster 82101 or the 82101-2 with indicator light
terminal. These are one-wire types so you bypass all your regulator harness.
I
go tired of generator bearings burning out (they somehow don't like 7K shift
points) on my 289 HiPo engine and went this way to look stock. The other
advantage is you don't have to kluge brackets onto your car. They are at
Summit Racing, not cheap at $369 and $389 for the indicator model, but you'll
have twice as much juice at idle as the old generator put out at WFO.
Bugz

-----Original Message-----
On
Behalf Of James Lindner

Joel

If you are interested in an alternator that closely resembles the Ford OE
generator, there was a discussion on this topic on the CAT Forum last week.
It
is my understanding that they fit into the existing bracket.
Downside...pretty
expensive.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Joel Martin

wiring

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 13:24:40 -0700

On my alternator, not a true one wire alternator, but a 2.5 wire
alternator, it would not start charging unless it got over 1,500 or more.
All it needed was a blip on start up.  But it still needed it.

I said 2.5 because there is the light wire and the power wire, but the
power wire is jumped over to the third wire.  So, while the alternator has
three attachments, only 2 wires actually go to it.

It has been a while since I did this.  But I seem to recall that the light
wire goes to the post marked "S".  But no one should rely on that - I'm
happy to confirm though.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Jay, You are correct if you order the alternator with the indicator
> (82101-2 with indicator light), the charging circuit is energized through
> the light. On a true 1-wire, there is a voltage bias sensor inside the
> alternator that triggers an internal switch to open or close the circuit.
> On these Powermasters, the alternator will not switch on until the
> alternator begins to rotate above a couple hundred RPM and stays on until
> the engine stops. When you shut the engine off then that same switch shuts
> off the circuit so you dont bleed current and drain the battery. On a
> 3-wire alternator, the circuit is triggered by the ignition switch
> energizing the charging system through the indicator circuit. ****
>
> ** **
>
> If you dont need a generator light and/or have a voltage gage then get
> the 1-wire version, simple enough for even us Mechanical Engineers to
> install!****
>
> ** **
>
> Bugz****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* Jay Laifman [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Thursday, April 04, 2013 3:05 PM
> *To:* Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)
> *Cc:* James Lindner; Joel Martin; Tiger List Serve
> *Subject:* Re: [Tigers] Generator to Alternator Conversion****
>
> ** **
>
> has 12v at each side, it shuts off.  ****
>
>  ****
>
> certain RPM to start charging.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> [email-masked]> wrote:****
>
> ****
> ** **

[email-masked]