Subject: [Tigers] Ground Strap and Battery to body Negative Ground Strap

From: Joel Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 07:24:15 -0700 (PDT)

All
 
The starter bolt to body\frame ground strap and battery to body ground strap
in trunk - these should be 'braided' cables as opposed to cable with rubber
covering?  Any particular 'correct' type of connectors should be used?
 
The battery itself should be group 27?  Any particular brands accepted to be
'correct'?
 
Thanks
Joel Martin
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:39:34 -0400

Joel
	The ground strap and battery negative terminal to ground are both
braided with HD connectors.

Battery is a group 27 - the original battery was Lucas with 6 screw in cell
covers with vent nipples and a vent tube.

I have an Interstate battery in my Tiger.  You would have to be going for
totally bone stock to want a Lucas battery and they are expensive - $200 -
$300 range for a repro AGM battery.

http://antiqueautobattery.com/batteries.html
This web site has those batteries and they also list cables for the Sunbeam
but I'm not sure there is a picture for them.

British Wire Inc lists the braided cable but I don't know what they have for
connectors.
www.Britishwire.com

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Joel Martin
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:24 AM
To: Tiger List Serve
Subject: [Tigers] Ground Strap and Battery to body Negative Ground Strap

All

Thanks
Joel Martin

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2904 / Virus Database: 3162/6267 - Release Date: 04/23/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Joel Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:13:37 -0700 (PDT)

# of strands seems to be a factor - not sure for the cable itself.  Cable
color should be silver? The part Theo references looks to be a 5/16" flat type
ring terminal - 3 would be needed?  BON indicates neg was a 14" woven cable
with a soldered right angle battery end - any correct type here?
 
Batteries I have found.
Interstate MTP27 @ $129
MotorCraft Max BXT27B with negative post on right $110 - cannot find any
pictures and ford dealers are no help.  Appears terminals should be on right
with pos toward rear fender and neg toward rear of trunk closest to passenger
side fender not middle of trunk?  Is this correct?  For correctness sake is
MotorCraft accepted in place of Lucas or is Lucas only points correct?
 
Thanks
Joel Martin

--- On Tue, 4/23/13, Ron Fraser <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Ron Fraser <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Ground Strap and Battery to body Negative Ground Strap
To: "'Joel Martin'" <[email-masked]>, "'Tiger List Serve'"
<[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 11:39 AM

Joel

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

All

Thanks
Joel Martin

[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:28:06 -0400

Joel
    If your building a 100 point dead stock Tiger; then you need a Lucas
battery with the breather hose.
If your not building a 100 point Tiger put in the best battery available to
you.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Martin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:14 PM
To: 'Tiger List Serve'; [email-masked]
Cc: Theo Smit - Tiger Owner
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Ground Strap and Battery to body Negative Ground Strap

# of strands seems to be a factor - not sure for the cable itself.  Cable
color should be silver? The part Theo references looks to be a 5/16" flat
type ring terminal - 3 would be needed?  BON indicates neg was a 14" woven
cable with a soldered right angle battery end - any correct type here?

Batteries I have found.
Interstate MTP27 @ $129
MotorCraft Max BXT27B with negative post on right $110 - cannot find any
pictures and ford dealers are no help.  Appears terminals should be on right
with pos toward rear fender and neg toward rear of trunk closest to
passenger side fender not middle of trunk?  Is this correct?  For
correctness sake is MotorCraft accepted in place of Lucas or is Lucas only
points correct?

Thanks
Joel Martin

[email-masked]

---

From: Joel Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:43:00 -0700 (PDT)

Ron\All
 
No 100 point car here, nor want to be but if I must buy - get correct or as
close to correct as dollars will allow - buy correct if at all possible. The
Lucas battery dollars does not allow.
 
I did not know if MotorCraft batteries are acceptable to judges just as
MotorCraft oil filters are.  If so then I will buy MotorCraft as opposed to
Interstate which I have used most of my life with little to no complaints.  I
have a Interstate (1) 12 V battery in my 73 MGB, original owner, as opposed to
2 - 6 volt Lucas batteries.
 
As always, seriously, thanks for your input.  I always value every ones
thoughts\opinions.
 
Joel Martin

From: Ron Fraser <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Ground Strap and Battery to body Negative Ground Strap
To: "'Joel Martin'" <[email-masked]>, "'Tiger List Serve'"
<[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Theo Smit - Tiger Owner'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 3:28 PM

Joel
 
Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Martin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:14 PM
To: 'Tiger List Serve'; [email-masked]
Cc: Theo Smit - Tiger Owner
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Ground Strap and Battery to body Negative Ground Strap

Batteries I have found.
Interstate MTP27 @ $129
 
Thanks
Joel Martin

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:52:55 +0000

For the ground straps you want to have equivalent copper area to probably #2
cable. For the engine side strap, the chassis end uses a 5/16 screw and the
other side (going to a starter bolt) will be 3/8". For the battery strap,
5/16" lug to the chassis should be more than sufficient... a good connection
there requires that you strip the chassis to bare metal in that area. I don't
recall offhand what the "right" battery terminal is.

Theo

From: Joel Martin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: April 23, 2013 12:14 PM
To: 'Tiger List Serve'; [email-masked]
Cc: Smit, Theo
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Ground Strap and Battery to body Negative Ground Strap

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]