Subject: [Tigers] Correct battery sizing

From: "Tiger Man" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:59:01 -0700 FILETIME=[23315030:01CE0AF6]

Was looking to pick up a new battery for the tiger.  Current battery that is
in it is an Interstate 24-50.  I thought I remember that group 24 was the
original size, but I can't remember what reference I found that in.

Poking around, it looks like group 24 is available, it isn't very common
anymore except in marine batteries.

Looking at the optima site, they pulled up a size 34 battery for the Sunbeam
tiger.

Since I'm not really worried about concourse, Is group 34 that what other
people are running as a practical matter?  Or is there another size that makes
more sense?

Thanks,
Steve
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:27:15 -0500

Steve
	I have an Interstate MT-34 battery in my Tiger.

Seems to me there was also an optional battery listed that was a little
longer.  You would have to look to see if that optional battery is still
available.

MT-34 case is 6 3/4"W x 10 1/4"L x 7"H
Tiger battery plastic tray is 6 15/16"W x 11 3/16"L

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tiger Man
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:59 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Correct battery sizing

Since I'm not really worried about concourse, Is group 34 that what other
people are running as a practical matter?  Or is there another size that
makes more sense?

Thanks,
Steve

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2899 / Virus Database: 2639/6103 - Release Date: 02/14/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Greg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:43:40 -0800 (PST)

How about the CCA for your battery?
I got 1,000 cca from O'Reiley....Since it's located in the trunk, you need all
the power you can get!

--- On Thu, 2/14/13, Ron Fraser <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Ron Fraser <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Correct battery sizing
To: "'Tiger Man'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 1:27 PM

Steve

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Thanks,
Steve

[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 21:53:10 +0000

It's also important that you keep the connections tight and corrosion free...
it takes very little resistance in the battery to starter circuit (including
all ground straps) to make the car unstartable regardless of the capability of
the battery.
I just swapped out my battery because I'd left it too long unattended... put
in a 78DT with 900 CCA. I've previously had a bad incident with a leaking
battery and the original tray, so right now that battery is sitting inside a
full-height marine case. I did have to notch the upper corners of the case to
fit the hold-down bar.
Theo

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tigers-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Greg
> Sent: February 14, 2013 2:44 PM
> To: 'Tiger Man'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> I got 1,000 cca from O'Reiley....Since it's located in the trunk, you
> need all the power you can get!
>

________________________________

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:07:07 -0500 (EST)

When I buy batteries for my vehicles I just measure and put in the largest  
size that will fit.  Starting in Vermont winters the Cold Cranking Amps is  
very  important. Possibly cars in the hot climates need something  
different. 
 
Once I went into Sears to buy a battery for a Volvo.  I looked at  their 
size chart and picked out the largest that would fit in the tray and under  
the hood.  The salesman told me he couldn't sell me that battery because it  
wasn't the one for my car.  I asked why that made a difference.  He  said 
once they let someone put in the wrong battery and the car blew up. By now  I 
realized the guy wasn't too sharp and asked for the manager. The  manager was 
giving me basically the same answer and the story about the  explosion.  
 
I asked how a 12V battery could cause an explosion in a system designed for 
 12 V. The answer was that the replacement battery was too tall and when 
the  customer shut the hood it shorted out.  That made sense. After I 
explained  that I had checked all measurements including the height, he let me buy 
the one  that I wanted.
 
So, my theory is that if you have room and need a little more traction in  
the rear, put in one those big honking, heavy truck batteries. When you  
turn the key, you will almost feel the car jump;-) 
Mark L

In a message dated 2/14/2013 4:48:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

How  about the CCA for your battery?
I got 1,000 cca from O'Reiley....Since it's  located in the trunk, you need 
all
the power you can get!

Steve

Ron  Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Was looking to pick up a new battery for the tiger.   Current battery that 
is
in it is an Interstate 24-50.  I thought I  remember that group 24 was the
original size, but I can't remember what  reference I found that in.

Looking at the optima site, they pulled up a size 34 battery  for the 
Sunbeam
tiger.

Thanks,
Steve

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul R Sheahan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 04:55:21 -0800 (PST)

I just got one of the Antique Auto Battery units for one of my Tigers.  It is
all they say it is. 

Paul
Paul R Sheahan

--- On Thu, 2/14/13, James Lindner <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: James Lindner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Correct battery sizing
To: "Tom Hall" <[email-masked]>, "Tiger Man" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Tiger e-mail List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 11:34 PM

Tiger Man

I know you said you were not interested in originality, but in case you have a
change of heart, or if others do seek an original looking battery, please see
Antique Auto Battery, a company out of Ohio. I have pasted the link to their
site.

http://antiqueautobattery.com/batteries.html

These guys will build to order a maintenance-free, correct Lucas Group 27
battery...all modern maintenance-free workings on the inside, terminals and
faux-caps correctly located and black Lucas logo case on the outside. It is
listed on their site under Sunbeam Alpine with further description under the
maintenance free section. The G27 battery is a bit too large for the Tiger
battery tray but the G24 will fit...but less cranking power.

Downsideb&not cheap at $265+ shipping.

Jim

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Hall
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:25 PM
To: Tiger Man
Cc: Tiger e-mail List
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Correct battery sizing

is
Sunbeam
> people are running as a practical matter?  Or is there another size that
makes
> _

The OEM group size for the Tiger was 27. They can be difficult to find,but I
have seen them at Sam's Club. For non-purest owners, a group 65 will fit in
the OEM battery tray if you slice off some of the inside
mounting lip (this battery was designed for Ford installations with the
bottom holding clamps). It gives you the option of replacing the
battery kick-up in the rear deck, with a full flat deck, allowing more user
friendly packing for trips.

-- Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:58:22 -0500

It did not make sense to me that the original Group 27 battery was
larger than the battery tray so I measured the tray again to check.  I was a
little off.

Battery tray - 6 7/8" x 12 3/16"	That's a better fit for the Group 27
battery.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Fraser [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:27 PM
To: 'Tiger Man'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Correct battery sizing

Steve

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Thanks,
Steve

[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 16:54:46 -0500

Will
	That is a good point for originality.  Does anyone have a good close
up picture of the original vent tube and the original battery caps?

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Will Seay
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 11:25 AM
To: 'James Lindner'; 'Tom Hall'; 'Tiger Man'
Cc: 'Tiger e-mail List'
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Correct battery sizing

If you're a stickler for originality, don't forget that the original battery
was vented.  Each of the six filler caps on the original battery had a
nipple that connected to a vent tube.  The vent tube ran through a hole in
the bottom of the trunk.  You can reproduce the vent tube fairly easily
because it's just a rubber tube with six holes in it and a plug in one end.
The tough part is the filler caps with the nipples.

Will Seay -382001570
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Lynn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:24:25 -0700

I have an original vent tube.  It basically looks like drip tube (used in a
garden) but softer and more pliable.  It has probably 1/8 holes spread just
far enough to connect to the vent caps

Lynn

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Ron Fraser
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 2:55 PM
To: 'Will Seay'; 'James Lindner'; 'Tom Hall'; 'Tiger Man'
Cc: 'Tiger e-mail List'
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Correct battery sizing

Will

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Will Seay -382001570
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]