Subject: Re: [Tigers] MkI with square corner doors?

From: "Jerry Mo Christopherson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:17:01 -0600

My 9473187 has square doors, square hood and round boot.

Jerry Christopherson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Ron Fraser
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:43 PM
To: 'Bob Dixon'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Tigers] MkI with square corner doors?

Bob
	You can look in the Alpine Parts List, 5th issue, for some guidance
- Section YX pg 2&3.  I believe Parts list is listed on TigersUnited.

B9473254 looks like the square door start with exceptions.

B382000840 looks like the square trunk start.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Dixon
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] MkI with square corner doors?

Hi gang,

Here's a question, did any Mk1's (B947xxxx) come with square corner doors
and hood?

Thanks,
Bob
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2890 / Virus Database: 2639/6068 - Release Date: 01/30/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:16:34 -0700

I suspect the answers are 'no' but here goes:

If a dumb-ass paint shop sandblasted the vin plate off a Tiger, is 
there any way to legally replace it?  Could a Tiger be TAC'd without 
it's original vin plate?  If a new VIN is issued by the state, could a 
Tiger still be TAC'd?

Thanks,
Bob
Currently Tigerless :-(

[email-masked]

---

From: michael king <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:27:37 +1100

The Tiger could still get a TAC, lots of factory ID elements and procedures
still on the body... I believe there is a process via the TAC boys to
re-issue a VIn if the Vin is known.. wont be as original and is not trying
to be IIRC...

So short answer, yes can be TAC'd.. as for legally replacing with a repro..
probably not.. but could still TAC with a state tag

On 14 February 2013 10:16, Bob Dixon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If a dumb-ass paint shop sandblasted the vin plate off a Tiger, is there
> any way to legally replace it?  Could a Tiger be TAC'd without it's
> original vin plate?  If a new VIN is issued by the state, could a Tiger
> still be TAC'd?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
> Currently Tigerless :-(
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/tigers/michael.s.king@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]>
>
>
>

-- 
Regards

Michael King

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:57:58 -0800

> it's original vin plate? If a new VIN is issued by the state, could a 

Its nice to know that the world wide training process for our TAC 
Inspectors is complete enough that they, and other owners on this list, 
not necessarily officially associated with the TAC process, can respond 
positively about your request. Officially, TAC Inspectors, trained by 
the STOA TAC Committee, can process any chassis, under appropriate 
contitions, to attempt to determine if it was originally produced as a " 
Sunbeam Tiger". It is obviously difficult to locate (for filing 
purposes) a chassis that has no remaining identification. But that 
situation is rarely the case. The chassis in most cases has the 
differential and or the transmission, both of which still have 
individual serial numbers which can lead us to a matching VIN number, 
which we can trace from original Jensen Production records. A bare 
shell, with no other components is TAC-able, but the question and 
problem is: where do we file it in our data base, based on original VIN 
numbers?

So if you are contemplating the purchase of a Tiger with a missing or 
partially destroyed VIN Tag, you should be more concerned with the 
aspect of (is this a real Tiger chassis) than the readability of the 
remaining VIN Tag. State issued ID may affect the value of the chassis, 
but it does not disrupt our criteria for chassis inspection.

Since we have already Authenticated almost 1000 original Tiger chassis, 
the question may already have been solved. Did you look next to the 
wiper motor mounting location on the inner cowl to see if it has already 
been Authenticated (TACed)?

STOA TAC Senior Inspector #1

-- 
Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:39:14 -0700

Thanks for all the great responses!  It has not been TAC'd but I'm 
confident it is a real Tiger.

On 02/13/13 09:57 PM, Tom Hall wrote:
> Itbs nice to know that the world wide training process for our TAC
> Inspectors is complete enough that they, and other owners on this
> list, not necessarily officially associated with the TAC process, can
> respond positively about your request. Officially, TAC Inspectors,
> trained by the STOA TAC Committee, can process any chassis, under
> appropriate contitions, to attempt to determine if it was originally
> produced as a " Sunbeam Tiger". It is obviously difficult to
> blocateb (for filing purposes) a chassis that has no remaining
> identification. But that situation is rarely the case. The chassis in
> most cases has the differential and or the transmission, both of 
> which
> still have individual serial numbers which can lead us to a matching
> VIN number, which we can trace from original Jensen Production
> records. A bare shell, with no other components is bTAC-ableb, 
> but
> the question and problem is: where do we file it in our data base,
> based on original VIN numbers?
>
> remaining VIN Tag. State issued ID may affect the value of the
> chassis, but it does not disrupt our criteria for chassis inspection.
>
> Since we have already Authenticated almost 1000 original Tiger
> chassis, the question may already have been solved. Did you look next
> to the wiper motor mounting location on the inner cowl to see if it
> has already been Authenticated (TACed)?
>

[email-masked]

---

From: "Lynn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:31:00 -0700

Bob,

I had the same issue.  Both my JAL tag and vin tag was desolved by an acid
dip.

The answer to both is yes, regardless of what some will say.  

The TAC will not be a problem at all.  However, regarding the replacement
VIN tag it might depend on what state you are in. Admittedly, Los Angeles
might be a different story than rural North Dakota but I would love to meet
a cop in either place that would pull you over, ask for you to open the hood
and first inspect then determine the VIN plate was not original to the
Sunbeam Tiger and impound your car for eventual dismemberment/crushing.

Since I had the original title I went to the DMV and they issued a new
title, for my state, with the original VIN.  I made a replacement tag and
all was done.  I showed it to the Chief of Police in my town and he could
not have cared less nor could he, by his own admission, tell if it was
original. 

You will hear lots of horror stories about a "friend of a friend" who had
their car impounded and crushed due to an illegal/replacement VIN tag  I
doubt you will hear from a single person with firsthand experience.

Check with your local jurisdiction, be honest, show them the evidence, if
any.  You will probably be surprised at the result.  I was told that they
did not care what the VIN tag looked like as long as it had the correct
number.  You could have a VIN tag made that looked original, as opposed to
the state issued replacement.

Good luck,

Lynn

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Bob Dixon
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Replacement VIN plate

If a dumb-ass paint shop sandblasted the vin plate off a Tiger, is there any
way to legally replace it?  Could a Tiger be TAC'd without it's original vin
plate?  If a new VIN is issued by the state, could a Tiger still be TAC'd?

Thanks,
Bob
Currently Tigerless :-(

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:45:50 -0800

>>>any way to legally replace it? <<<

Lynn refers to Los Angeles and I'm therefore assuming Bob lives in 
California.  My understanding is that the State does issue replacement 
VIN's.  But they are not "like" the Rootes issued VIN.  The State has their 
own placard (and ID numbers) that gets riveted to the door frame.  I do not 
know if they also stamp the body somewhere.

Additionally, with no VIN identifiers remaining I don't know what "can of 
worms" you may be opening in dealing with a bureaucracy.    You may need the 
VIN placard for insurance.  And, if you ever get pulled over you prized ride 
might get towed, and impounded without the proper body ID.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Lynn" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Bob Dixon'" <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]'" 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacement VIN plate

> any

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 12:02:48 -0700

I'm in Colorado. I'll have to look into our state rules.

Sent from my iPhone

> Lynn refers to Los Angeles and I'm therefore assuming Bob lives in
California.  My understanding is that the State does issue replacement VIN's.
But they are not "like" the Rootes issued VIN.  The State has their own
placard (and ID numbers) that gets riveted to the door frame.  I do not know
if they also stamp the body somewhere.
>
> Tom
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn" <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>
any
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Owain Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:31:12 -0500

Has anyone ever been pulled over and had their vin checked?   I never have.

Entering Egypt and Saudi Arabia in my Mercedes, I needed a special plastic
embossed plate on the engine with my vin and engine number so they could
easily compare to the carnet de passage and because most of them couldn't
copy the characters they wanted it embossed to take a pencil rubbing.

Anyway, I've just never had the vin plate looked at when pulled over.
 Surely cops just care about the registration?   I was fairly recently arrested
by federal park rangers in my c-type who towed the car while they got to
know me at the station.  It ended amicably after a few hours and they
released me and the car but even then they didn't check the vin.

Would love to hear of anyone's vin plate ever being examined.

On Thursday, February 14, 2013, Bob wrote:

> there
> VIN's.
> > Archive: http://www.team.net/arc <http://www.team.net/archive>>
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:42:19 -0800

I have!!!!

But, and it's a big but, the car was a very unique car.  It was a kit car I
built with my dad called a Sebring - on a VW chassis, but of course for
dad, had to change the engine to a V6.  Here's a link to the car:
http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/members_n_forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=84

It is registered as a VW too.  So when the cop saw me driving, and punched
in the license plate, and it said "VW" on it, he pulled me over.  He
claimed a brake light was out too.  He had me show him the VIN stamped in
the chassis.  But otherwise, we had a good conversation and I didn't get
any ticket.

Jay

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Howarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 21:10:46 +0000

Hi Jay,

they used to have those over here in the UK, they were called NOVA kit cars. I
guess that name was already taken over there.
I friend of mine had one at the same time as I had my Lotus Esprit, the
lifting Nova roof was cool, but mine went round corners a lot better  :-)

Jeff

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] on behalf
of Jay Laifman [[email-masked]]
Sent: 14 February 2013 19:42
To: [email-masked]
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacement VIN plate

I have!!!!

Jay

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:33:05 -0800

Yeah, but if your engine broke, you needed major bucks in the bank and
mechanics with multiple elbows to get into tight places.  If his engine
broke, all he needed was to twist up another rubber band!!  :-)

I still drive it and it really gets amazing attention. Which is pretty
funny since when it came out, there was nothing like it.  Now, there are
Ferraris and Lamborghinis that are all over the place and look so exotic
themselves.  (Yeah, I know, I live in a place where "reality" is all upside
down and backwards).

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Jeff Howarth <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> they used to have those over here in the UK, they were called NOVA kit
> cars. I guess that name was already taken over there.
> From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] on
> behalf of Jay Laifman [[email-masked]]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]