Subject: [Tigers] Inquiry about Playboy Tiger hood emblem

From: "rande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 07:37:32 -0500

Good Morning,

Hopefully, this has been suggested already, but if not...

With my PC, I can't get a large enough and detailed view of the emblem, but
from what I can see, it looks very much like the LAT 70 alloy wheel spinner
emblem. If you haven't already gone to the Sunbeam Specialties PDF catalogue,
please go to www.rootes.com  and take a look at page 28. This is the page where
they list available replacement LAT option parts. The emblem is shown separately
for Alpines and Tigers, only the Tiger version is available now, for under $4.00
each.

I wasn't following the Playboy Tiger project in real time in the 1960's, but
my hunch is that West Coast representative for Rootes Group Ian Garrad had a
hand in converting this Tiger, and at the same time was responsible for putting
together the LAT option program. If this emblem did not come directly from the
LAT catalogue, I think the one on the pink Tiger was based very much on the
design of LAT 70 wheel emblem. I would have you approximate the size of the
emblem on the car, and call or contact Sunbeam Specialties to have them measure
the part that they sell.

If this hasn't already been pointed out, all of the photographs of the Playboy
Tiger that you've shown me, as well as the PR black and white eight by ten and
magazine shots, look like they were posed at a site in the Santa Monica Mountain
range in southern California, near Los Angeles, near the West Coast Rootes offices.
While all of this is not concrete proof that the emblem came from the LAT program,
the evidence to me points that way.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]