Subject: Re: [Tigers] Thoughts on 7" front wheels

From: "A. C. Tynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 21:22:13 -0600

Mike,

Just because you have different width wheels does not mean you have to use
different size tires. Tires generally fit a range of wheel widths, with a
minimum and maximum for each tire. You can probably find a tire size that will
fit both a 6" and 7" wheel. The overall diameter may be slightly different, but
I don't think it would be enough to matter. Of course, I am not a tire expert.

The tirerack.com has experts and a huge amount of information on tires. They
are very generous with their knowledge and their time.

HTH,
A. C. Tynes
New Orleans

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Thoughts on 7" front wheels

I'm about to buy some new wheels for my Tiger. Because of the lack of  
quality off the shelf wheels for our cars, I'm leaning towards 15"  diameter 
Panasports. While kind of "belly button" wheels, they are very  well made and 
reasonable cost.
 
The usual 6" front/7" rear fitment has limited appeal, primarily  because 
of the handling compromises that result. I'd like to run 7' all around  with 
equal size tires. 
 
Anyone have direct experience with the 7's and clearances? My valence is  
near stock, we did do some basic smoothing, prior to the car going to paint. 
How  large a tire might fit? (I could see running as small as 195/50-15 at 
all four  corners).
 
Thanks for any thoughts!
Mike Wood
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "robertdhogan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 23:14:08 -0500

I had a body shop custom flare roll the front and rear fenders' wheel
openings to clear the 235/50Rx13 tires on 7" wide rims.  The fronts' forward
1200 edge and the rear well forward and top areas were the primary region of
interference.

Rob Hogan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 9:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Thoughts on 7" front wheels

Thanks for any thoughts!
Mike Wood

[email-masked]

---

From: "Ross Hulse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:22:42 -0800

Mike,

15x7 will not work on the front.  

The rim width and offset to keep the wheel inside the fender will impact the
upper A frame before full lock.  This is why people go with 6 inch rims on
15's in the front.

If you go to 16's or 17's the rim will be over the A frame but have new
problems such as rubber band size tires.  I don't know if there are other
interference problems with large rims as I have never tried them. 

I have tried 15x7 all around and discovered this truth at a cost of 2K.
Want to buy some custom made wheels?

Some people I am told addressed this problem by grinding down the seam on
the A frame to get clearance.  I opted not to weaken my suspension and went
to 15x 6 in the front and 15x7 with the proper offsets.  

Problem solved and I am running Kumho 205/55-15 Ecsta 4X  on all 4 wheels
with no clearance problems other than gently rolling the rear fender wells.

Ross "Commodore Blues" Hulse

I'm about to buy some new wheels for my Tiger. Because of the lack of
quality off the shelf wheels for our cars, I'm leaning towards 15"  diameter
Panasports. While kind of "belly button" wheels, they are very  well made
and reasonable cost.
 
The usual 6" front/7" rear fitment has limited appeal, primarily  because of
the handling compromises that result. I'd like to run 7' all around  with
equal size tires. 

 
Thanks for any thoughts!
Mike Wood

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Kukla" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 12:33:32 -0700

Mike,
I have 15" Panasports on my Tiger.  I run 205 X 50 X 15's on the front and
225 X 45 X 15's on the back.  All rims are 7" wide.  My valance has been
trimmed.  Fronts have no problem.  Rears rubbed a little on the springs so I
ground them slightly.  Seems to work alright on the open tracks.  I got the
rims from Dale A.   Call me if you would like.  I am in the Lone Tree,
Colorado phone book.

Tom Kukla
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:33 PM

 

Thanks for any thoughts!
Mike Wood

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]