Subject: Re: [Tigers] brake finish...HELLO?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:04:46 -0800

Jim;  I would love to help you, but I have 4 wheel disc brakes from Dale A. 
Just sent the message to let you know that you are Not alone and we are 
receiving you request for help.  Jerry and Marlene with the Candy Apple 
Tiger in Oregon.

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 1:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] brake finish...HELLO?

Didn't anybody see this?

Doesn't anybody have any data?

Please?

"I just picked up a set of brake drums to replace my worn originals. They
are nice and thick unlike mine.

Having access to a bead blaster, I can take the surface rust off the
outside, but would like to know what finish of black to paint them. Gloss,
satin, matte, etc.

Any advice on a long-lasting finish would be much appreciated.'

Jim  Armstrong
Mk 1A
382002083
LRXFE
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Dixon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:10:57 -0700

I don't know what the correct finish is supposed to be but I painted 
mine with a gloss black and they looked great behind my Panasports.

On 01/04/13 02:54 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 14:28:01 -0800

I looked through the "Here comes the Judge" (Undercairrage) pages, 171-174 
of TBON.  There was no mention of the factory color for the brake drums. 
The items that were listed as painted were simply referred to as "black." 
There was no mention of the sheen.  My personal experience is that even when 
painted gloss black brake drums fade between flat and semi gloss from the 
sun and heat.  That is if the paint doesn't burn off, then the color is 
rust.

Tom 

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Munroe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:30:16 -0400

HI Jim:

I thought you would have a better answer by now than I can give you!
But as you know I am also a Brit bike guy of too many years, and most
of the one's I have restored have cast iron cylinder barrels.

Same neighbourhood as cast iron brake drums. I have used Rustoleum
satin black on my cylinder barrels for many years, and on my Tiger
rear brake drums recently. Looks fabulous, and on the bikes - factory
original. I believe if you bead-blast the outside of the drums and
brush on this great old stand-by paint you will not be disappointed.
It does take a while to fully dry and harden,
(several days) so be patient.

Sounds like you are going for a "concours" resto Jim!

Dave

Sent from my iPad

On 2013-01-04, at 5:59 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Munroe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:33:23 -0400

Jim:

Forgot to mention to specify Rustoleum "high temp" satin black......

Dave

Sent from my iPad

> I looked through the "Here comes the Judge" (Undercairrage) pages, 171-174
of TBON.  There was no mention of the factory color for the brake drums. The
items that were listed as painted were simply referred to as "black." There
was no mention of the sheen.  My personal experience is that even when painted
gloss black brake drums fade between flat and semi gloss from the sun and
heat.  That is if the paint doesn't burn off, then the color is rust.
>
> Tom _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:49:14 -0500 s=q20121106; t=1357339758; bh=aK82Y1dE8QOfzJ2lYKk0WiuBYPRcCEc7aGTORXwOaZU=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=ZU3Qlb8x3kpFE5MB1Q4qHjcLwWbPUAmAO0rM+bd5D6L66g56exvR8j14Ezi6bI9Jc GB3EzVgVTT/Ahqf9FS6rayB14bxwy1N3YJJoSoChX9O6T6iqe/2c3twULWh9eBzrZD 3DkcJcYw5/gphH5YsygMReGSZ6W6qR4AesL9xWd9R+IBtE/aClCCyRksmdqGeUZCmy TgBlM9ggtK3midsFbstQEW4IoWaGtGdwfg3+kx8FJnDGee7naGVXRlqe+SxqSfQoVV OIg3VH9Q7Ys48bu22wXzp7pw2q2Sq3voFg5SUoAqsOPhcorI3+8MkDltl1jOX6kAh7 WdsEhrEdsymAw==

I just used some black BBQ paint I got a t Lowes.  Don't want it to burn off 
from all that brake heat, after all.  It looks fine behind my Western 
Minilite clones.

Stu 

[email-masked]

---

From: Theo Smit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 19:57:53 -0700

It somewhat depends on the wheels you have. Aluminum wheels with smaller 
spokes show the drum more; if you want the drums to be out of sight then 
satin or matte is the way to go. The lower gloss finishes will also hide 
surface imperfections better.

Any good high temperature paint will do nicely. The various engine 
paints (you can get them in low-gloss or flat black) should be good at 
the temperatures your drums will see. The beadblasting should provide a 
great prep surface, just make sure you get all the blasting dust off - 
wipe the drums with enamel reducer, lacquer thinner, or the like, before 
painting.

I have to do something like this to the inner bell (hat) on my rear discs.
Theo

On 1/4/2013 2:54 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]