Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger's on ebay

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:36:36 -0500

Speaking of Tigers on Ebay, the red car, B9470058, is my old ride from the
late '70's-early '80's time frame.  It was one fast mamma-jamma when I had it,
which leads me to a little tidbit about the car.  I bought that car in October
of '79 from a fellow in Oklahoma City named Bob McCord.  He, in turn, had
purchased it from a guy named Skip Laughlin, who I believe now resides in
Dallas, TX.  Anyway, Skip had hotted up the transplanted 289 engine that was
in it and had done some suspension work to it as well and was actively
competing in SCCA Solo II events in and around Oklahoma.  It was during this
time (somewhere back in the mid-'70's) that Skip qualified to compete with the
car in the SCCA National Solo II "Runoffs".  If I remember correctly, his
class was "B-Prepared" and he took second place to the National Champion in
his class.  So, one could say this Tiger has a little "competition" history,
depending upon your definition of competition.  Somewhere back in my archives,
I have an SCCA Magazine (I think it may have been a copy of the Oklahoma
Region's SCCA rag called "The Gasket Gazette") from that time frame with a
photo of this car on the cover taking an autocross gate in anger.  If anyone
has the means to verify this story via SCCA records or something like that,
start looking in the '73 and later time frame and, somewhere during that time,
you'll find Skip Laughlin's name mentioned with his B-Prepared Tiger...the one
you see here.

One other thing about that car that always intrigued me as a young man (I
bought it when I was 19 years old) was the tachometer.  It had an "American
Scientific" tach in it (I'll never forget that name).  I'd never heard of one
and have never seen another one since, but it had both a built-in adjustable
shift light and rev limiter that utilized stalks protruding from the face of
the tach.  I can see by the pics that the owner has sent me that this tach is
still in place.  The story was that Skip put that tach in the car when he was
autocrossing it, and it probably saved his bacon a time or two, I'm thinking.
The car also had a reallly nice Moto-lita steering wheel, too, but I can see
in the pics that it's become a little worse for wear.  As for the short Cobra
gear stick in the car?  I put that in there, and I also was the one who
installed the American Racing Libre wheels, too.  You'll find the car still
registered to me in TBON as well.  Man...I was just entering the University of
Oklahoma and was still living at home with my folks when I sent that
registration info in to George Fallehy...ahhhhh, the memories!!!!

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE
TAC #740

---- Cullen McCann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Rusty!!!   especially this one which is not very rusty. Although the bent
> car has added provenance with its black dash. I have brought a tiger
> back...to some extent...from certain death, so i know what its like to fix
> something no one else would want to fix, and the red car is gonna be hard
> to fix. the rusty car is a piece of cake.
>
> Fun to think about!
>
> Cullen
> Yukon, Ok
> B382001452 LROFE
> TAC 840
>
>
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Bob Dixon <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > 181062402853
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]