Subject: [Tigers] Orginal 4 speed gear lube

From: Tony Somebody <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:52:43 -0700 (PDT)

A more recent owner ask me about what kube he should use in his Mk1 and I
found a shop mannual and read him what they reccomended BUT Im sure I recall a
discussion abiut what is in certain lubes, the use of synthetics etc. I told
him I would ask the List and see what most are now running. I have to get the
synthetic gear lube out of the 5 speed and get synthetic ATF this week- hoping
a new pump from NAPA will work after removing the shifter, adding ATF and
maybe changing it again- depending on how much I can remove. I lost the
measurement for holes when my yahoo account was stolen- had a ton of important
Tiger info in folders- not sure if it was the theif or yahoo that did away
with them. Makes a person want to keep them in two places- just in case.
Thanks in advance for helping Damian, he is getting hooked fast. Have to love
new Tiger owners!
TtT in southern Il.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:32:46 +0000 (UTC)

Tony, the short version of my earlier posts is to generally stay away from GL-5 oils. The vast majority seem to use a brass syncro attacking sulfur additive to achieve their GL-5 rating. GL-4 oils are much more syncro friendly. 

I recommended Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4 gear oil. I subsequently learned Red Line makes what they claim is a syncro friendly GL-5 oil. It is called 75W90 NS GL-5 which is specifically recommended for Ford Toploaders and other muscle car trans. (I wonder if the "NS" in the name means "no sulfur"...) Check out the Red Line website for more details. 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Somebody" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Beamclub" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:52:43 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Orginal 4 speed gear lube 

[email-masked] 

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:43:06 -0400

Along these lines, where do you get plain old 90 wt gear oil without any 
fancy GL5 additives these days?  I put some 80W90 in mine, and it feels more 
like there's WD40 in there, compared to the older 90 wt stuff.  Plus it's 
GL5.  If anyone knows of a dealer in eastern Mass or RI, even better.

Also, what's good for the stock diff?  Does it mind GL5?  Others may be 
interested in synthetics, but I'll stick with regular old dino oil, thanks.

Stu 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:43:35 +0000 (UTC)

Tony, the "reply to all" e-mail option rejected the address directly to you. It looks like the List system has a different e-mail address, one with two "c's" in it ? 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Somebody" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Beamclub" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:52:43 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Orginal 4 speed gear lube 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Rense" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:41:16 -0400

I have been a long time user of Redline oils, including their gear oils.
It's good stuff, and holds up. Here is a link to the oil they developed for
the older transmissions, it works great in Toploaders. It is not cheap, but
works a lot better than the crap sold in most auto parts stores. Buy it from
Summit Racing.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-58304/

Bugz

[email-masked]

---

From: "Buck Trippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:56:33 -0700

I have had great luck with this Redline product. We've used it exclusively 
in both the tranny and rear end on our race Tiger. Same tranny & rear end 
for 9 seasons & both are still going strong.

Buck Trippel

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mark Rense" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Original 4 speed gear lube

> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:19:03 -0400 (EDT)

Amen

-----Original Message-----
From: Buck Trippel <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Rense <[email-masked]>; tigers <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Apr 29, 2012 11:46 pm
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Original 4 speed gear lube

Buck Trippel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Rense" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Original 4 speed gear lube

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]