Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Mk II wiring

From: "rande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:41:12 -0400

'
Side note: Because the MkII Tigers had an alternator, I thought the ammeter

was no longer an official option? If that's true then whatever wiring you're

seeing was added by the dealer or a PO.'

According to the June 1967 parts catalogue, there were LHD and RHD  ammeter
'kits" which seemed to be replaced by individual ammeters for both the Alpine
V (alternator car) and the Tiger Mk II, and the catalogue shows the same part
number used for both of these cars.

In the C.A.T 'Tiger Under-Dash Wiring' illustration, again not differentiating
between Tiger 1, 1A, or II, a brown wire from the ammeter goes to the starter
solenoid, a brown with yellow stripe wire goes to voltage regulator terminal
A, all of this in addition to the illumination light and the gauge ground harness.

I agree with Ron that routing a wire through the left side of the motor and
around to the other side of the engine compartment is just nuts, in addition
to being pretty sloppy-looking.

I should mention that about ten years ago, I bought a Jaeger ammeter through
the C.A.T. parts department for alternator-equipped Tiger 1A, and it just came
with the wiring and socket for the illumination light, no instructions and no
extra wiring.

Don't gang up on me all at once, and no - I don't do stand up at night, but
is there any likelihood that Rootes included the wiring, like more modern manufacturers
sometimes do, in the harness, making installation easier. I remember the 1970+
Datsun 510 having an optional clock or tach (couldn't do both - they took up
the same location) and some or all of the wiring was already there.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:05:01 -0500

Hi Rande,
The ammeter installation requires that an existing connection in the harness
has to be removed and the ammeter inserted in its place... so if Rootes had
been forward looking enough to pre-wire for an ammeter, there would have to be
a hot link (with appropriate #10 or 3/16" lugs, and securely insulated in the
case an ammeter was not installed) in the area of the ammeter location, with
brown and brown/yellow wires as you noted. I don't have a lot of knowledge
about the OEM Rootes harness or the replacement harness offered by Rick and
others, but I don't think that such a feature had ever been put in. It would
certainly have prevented a lot of botched ammeter hookups.

Theo

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tigers-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of rande
> Sent: April 27, 2012 10:41 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Mk II wiring
>
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:03:41 -0400

Rande
	I need to do a better investigation of this charging system.  I have
2 wires in a wrapped harness that is 60+ inches long and it looks like it
has the big connection with the now yellowed plastic coverings.  It appears
to be a stock Rootes harness but I need to take a closer look.

	I have no idea what was contained in the amp gage option kit for the
Mk II that information would be valuable.  I also need to take a closer look
at what type of amp gage this has; I only remember +35 to -35.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of rande
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 12:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Mk II wiring

'

According to the June 1967 parts catalogue, there were LHD and RHD  ammeter
'kits" which seemed to be replaced by individual ammeters for both the
Alpine V (alternator car) and the Tiger Mk II, and the catalogue shows the
same part number used for both of these cars.

In the C.A.T 'Tiger Under-Dash Wiring' illustration, again not
differentiating between Tiger 1, 1A, or II, a brown wire from the ammeter
goes to the starter solenoid, a brown with yellow stripe wire goes to
voltage regulator terminal A, all of this in addition to the illumination
light and the gauge ground harness.

I should mention that about ten years ago, I bought a Jaeger ammeter through
the C.A.T. parts department for alternator-equipped Tiger 1A, and it just
came with the wiring and socket for the illumination light, no instructions
and no extra wiring.

Don't gang up on me all at once, and no - I don't do stand up at night, but
is there any likelihood that Rootes included the wiring, like more modern
manufacturers sometimes do, in the harness, making installation easier. I
remember the 1970+ Datsun 510 having an optional clock or tach (couldn't do
both - they took up the same location) and some or all of the wiring was
already there. _______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2411/4962 - Release Date: 04/27/12
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:32:11 +0000 (UTC)

>From the way my ammeter was wired,I suspect that wiring was not part of the kit for Ammeters for Generator cars.  My gauge had never moved off zero, maybe a twitch once in a while, so one day I traced it out.  The installer had run some really thin, maybe #28 or so, plastic insulated wires to a couple points that had little to do with the charging current.   Had 30A run through these wires, there would have been a flash, maybe a fire...  I properly wired it, and now it indicates fine.

My generator car has a +/-30A Ammeter, because that's all the generator could produce.  Didn't the alternators on Mk 2 cars have a much higher output than 30A, so they would need a differernt Ammeter?

Stu 

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:43:18 -0400

Stu
	This ammeter has 35 on the face and it has 2 heavy brown wires
attached.

The original generator was rated at 25A so a 30A gauge seems right.

When I converted my Tiger to an alternator system I used the same 30A
ammeter with a 55A alternator; no problem so far but then I try to keep my
battery charged all the time.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 2:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Mk II wiring

>From the way my ammeter was wired,I suspect that wiring was not part of the
kit for Ammeters for Generator cars.  My gauge had never moved off zero,
maybe a twitch once in a while, so one day I traced it out.  The installer
had run some really thin, maybe #28 or so, plastic insulated wires to a
couple points that had little to do with the charging current.   Had 30A run
through these wires, there would have been a flash, maybe a fire...  I
properly wired it, and now it indicates fine.

My generator car has a +/-30A Ammeter, because that's all the generator
could produce.  Didn't the alternators on Mk 2 cars have a much higher
output than 30A, so they would need a differernt Ammeter?

Stu

-----

[email-masked]