Subject: [Super] New Shorrock owner

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 08:48:59 -0500

Hi,

I'm a brand-new Shorrock owner, intended for my MGTC.  I first bought the
car in 1970, and read about Shorrock (and other) superchargers, but never
seriously looked for one.  Sold the car in 1984 and 25 years later bought it
back from the same guy I'd sold it to.  Now slowly repairing all the
"restoration" work done by Fred Flintstone.

The Shorrock I have is a complete TC setup except for one bracket (the one
with the bent ear), and the oil line.  Externally everything looks and feels
fine, but I haven't disassembled it yet.

I do have one concern, in that I can feel a slight lash, apparently in the
drive pins where the drive assembly mates to the supercharger flange.  I'm
assuming I'll need to bush the holes where the pins slip in so they fit more
snugly?

I don't know whether I will definitely need any parts at this point, but are
there any parts sources, or am I going to be searching for or making
anything I need?

I haven't taken my engine apart yet either, but I will rebuild it again
before running it because the "restorer" left so much loose and used so many
broken parts elsewhere that I just don't know what's in there.  Therefore I
can build it appropriately for the Shorrock.  But what's current thinking on
compression ratio, cams, etc?

When I sold the car I'd just had the block sleeved to standard and had the
crank welded back to standard, hard chromed, shot peened, and balanced.  The
shop that did the crank used to do lots of SCCA cranks and the one they did
for my E-Production Healey back then was really tough (I spun a rod bearing
and it didn't hurt the crank), so I had them do the TC crank too.  I really
don't know what pistons are in the engine till I look, but I have a new set
of Hepolite pop-ups that I think are 8.25:1 or 8.5:1, if that's not too
much.  Head is full thickness -- I may have done some port matching and
light polishing, but I really don't recall.

Any and all guidance will be welcomed.

Thank you!

Karl Vacek
Riverside, IL
TC 6370
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 19:12:12 +0000

I'm sorry I can't help, Karl; but I just wanted to say what a shock it was to get a post on this list after all these years.

---- Karl Vacek <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> I have a new set
> much.  

How much boost are you looking for?  What fuel are you trying to run on?  Do you have ignition retard?  From what I've read (my Judson is still in a crate) 8.5 seems like a lot if you are running over 6 psi on pump gas with a stock distributor.  But I believe MSD still sells their boost retard module, which might make it work.

Randall

---

From: Gary Vankirk <[email-masked]> engine=2.50.10432:5.12.52,1.0.27,0.0.0000 definitions=2014-08-08_02:2014-08-06,2014-08-08,1970-01-01 signatures=0 spamscore=1 suspectscore=19 phishscore=0 adultscore=0 bulkscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=7.0.1-1402240000 definitions=main-1408080068
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 22:40:45 -0700

Check with Alejandro Martin <almar9 at hotmail dot com>, I believe he 
does parts for Shorrock.

He has a website - http://www.vwsupercharger.info/

gary

---

From: "John Moxon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 12:57:18 +0100

If you find it difficult to contact Alejandro Martin there is another 
Shorrock specialist here in the UK. You can contact Keith Luck via his Ebay 
profile here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/krlmm?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

John.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Karl Vacek
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2014 2:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Super] New Shorrock owner

Hi,

Thank you!

Karl Vacek
Riverside, IL
TC 6370
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/superchargers/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive